We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I'm having a hard time with my gaming graphics

Hello, I am new to setting up my graphics so here's the images I have that can help me with my gaming experience. If you have any advice how I can change things or things that don't need to be change, please let me know.

In this picture, I play my game at Full Screen, Direct11X, but, I don't understand exactly about antialiasing. I played around with it and found out 8x smooth out the edges. I got rid of any kicking-back, lag-ness, slowness. Also, I love to play my game with bright colors. I think these color settings works great. In the pass, my gaming experience would get fuzzy and smoggy. I noticed when I increased the brightness it gets that way.

I am having a hard time with the DX11 Interactive Water. I really want my water to look like the 2nd picture, but my water looks run-down.(Top picture is mine). For the, The Texturing Filtering, I don't know which one to choose from. I cannot tell the difference unless I looked into it more. I really want my graphics it look as sharp as it can be. I might choose the "Very Sharp" option.

I think these settings are good as it is. I don't normally use Shadows unless I really want to. And, here's what I am using for my connection.

Overall, I am looking way to set my graphics with colorful gameplay and smoothness with no screen tears, little to no lag-ness, the jerking of my character when it enters a loading area on my steeds including the stable masters, and graphics that are crystal clear or close to it as possible. If you think I need any changes or no changes, please let me know. I am new to setting my graphics.

LOTRO is more than a bit buggy with NV graphics cards, so make a careful note of any settings before changing them, so you can revert if the game starts crashing.

From the scenes posted, DX11 will run (mostly) fine; but later areas get slower and slower - and Minas Tiruth is terrible; by this point many players have dropped down to dx9 to improve their frame rates, but this is where the real issues start for NV players.

There are a few threads about best compromise gfx settings, and one about mitigating issues with NV cards in dx9; best use a proper search engine though; you can put the exact name of a thread into the Forum search bar and it wont find it, or bury it 10 pages down.

for example "LOTRO graphics settings explained", will give you a list of threads on the subject, "LOTRO dx9 Hurin" will give you the excellent guides by Hurin.

Try the settings in this post - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...00#post7934300 - and see how it looks/plays.

You will not be able to escape Lag and poor FPS in certain areas {32 bit client } I do not know if 64 bit improved the performance, but you one cannot go against the Engine. It simply cannot handle too many units on the screen. Even with Top notch Gaming build expect to have issues.

I have 16 GB RAM Quad Core i7 and Radeon AMD RX 580 8GB and my FPS drops below 20 {Battle of the Black Gate) Average now around 30 FPS IN Minas Tirith before the battle ,lowest tier {Tier I} near the main gate.

It does not matter if change settings from Ultra High AA 8X ~ To Very low AA/ Off.

Your system is capable of running LOTRO on highest possible details,but engine will not allow it,Alas.

You also seek the impossible, Little to no lag. It cannot be done. Setting Landscape Draw Distance might in theory improve the performance or Player's crowd quality to 0.00.

Do not mess without colour settings, Contrast ,Gamma and so on and I suggest to set Blur intensity to 0.00 as well.

Keep Textures to Very high/AA 8X and Anisotropic /Quality to 16.

Texture Catche size 0.50. I keep everything on Maximum. I have had unpleasant experience with DX11 so I decided to shut it off, besides that the difference is barely notable.
    Last edited by Vanyaerunanethiel; May 20 2019 at 05:56 AM.
    Read the biography for further details. My spirit burns as flame.

Post processing is the biggest hit on the Graphics performance. Go into the troubleshooting area of Options and make sure your engine speed is turned up too. For me turning PP off, DirectX9 and the engine speed setting dramatically helped gameplay. Post Processing does affect water.
    'Ú-damdir.'
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyaerunanethiel View Post
    You will not be able to escape Lag and poor FPS in certain areas {32 bit client } I do not know if 64 bit improved the performance, but you one cannot go against the Engine. It simply cannot handle too many units on the screen. Even with Top notch Gaming build expect to have issues.

I have 16 GB RAM Quad Core i7 and Radeon AMD RX 580 8GB and my FPS drops below 20 {Battle of the Black Gate) Average now around 30 FPS IN Minas Tirith before the battle ,lowest tier {Tier I} near the main gate.

It does not matter if change settings from Ultra High AA 8X ~ To Very low AA/ Off.

Your system is capable of running LOTRO on highest possible details,but engine will not allow it,Alas.

You also seek the impossible, Little to no lag. It cannot be done. Setting Landscape Draw Distance might in theory improve the performance or Player's crowd quality to 0.00.

Do not mess without colour settings, Contrast ,Gamma and so on and I suggest to set Blur intensity to 0.00 as well.

Keep Textures to Very high/AA 8X and Anisotropic /Quality to 16.

Texture Catche size 0.50. I keep everything on Maximum. I have had unpleasant experience with DX11 so I decided to shut it off, besides that the difference is barely notable.

Conflicting reports on lag via BR, first 64bit iteration everyone was saying no lag, second iteration several complaints lag was worse than 32 bit.

I think 64 bit is going to reveal the connection methodology is the real cause of most of the non-server related lag. Does anyone know if the 64bit still uses UDP ??

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Conflicting reports on lag via BR, first 64bit iteration everyone was saying no lag, second iteration several complaints lag was worse than 32 bit.

I think 64 bit is going to reveal the connection methodology is the real cause of most of the non-server related lag. Does anyone know if the 64bit still uses UDP ??
    As far as I know, it does. I say that because I did not get a security notice where I had to specify the UDP protocol as needed nor that I had to clear any other protocol.

Nice thing about UDP is that, within tolerance limits, it is 'fire and forget'. Since the database server controls everything, ultimately, this lets things be more forgiving of internet jitter, meaning both latency and packet loss. Some day, though, they probably will have to go to something akin to BGP; especially since UDP is often actively filtered by ISPs.

And when you say lag, to me that means only network conditions such as latency, packet loss and transfer rate. Server load and client load are not the same things; and I think most of the performance problems people see are client related. For me, 64 bit has been better client side. NB that client side does not mean the player's computer is solely at fault; yet there are cases where it is at fault.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    As far as I know, it does. I say that because I did not get a security notice where I had to specify the UDP protocol as needed nor that I had to clear any other protocol.

Nice thing about UDP is that, within tolerance limits, it is 'fire and forget'. Since the database server controls everything, ultimately, this lets things be more forgiving of internet jitter, meaning both latency and packet loss. Some day, though, they probably will have to go to something akin to BGP; especially since UDP is often actively filtered by ISPs.

And when you say lag, to me that means only network conditions such as latency, packet loss and transfer rate. Server load and client load are not the same things; and I think most of the performance problems people see are client related. For me, 64 bit has been better client side. NB that client side does not mean the player's computer is solely at fault; yet there are cases where it is at fault.
    My basic computer is the same I have run for nearly 10 years*, only better gfx card and a NVME SSD; yet the game runs slower and slower every year, despite tweaking the cpu speeds higher and higher, and the game gfx settings lower. When I started I used to get 80fps average and 140 fps out of town, now it is more like 50 average and 80 out of town - on a gfx card 10x as powerful as the original; the games back end, NPC and Taskboard response times went off a cliff years ago, and never recovered. Skill inductions, that say 0.8 seconds take well over 1 second, nearer 2 at times (animation glitches), and travel skills induction times seem nearly double.

* I did "upgrade the cpu, but the FX range was so awful, I went back to the Phenom II.

THIS year, kill too many mobs too quickly and the server cannot keep up, you start getting pauses, skills not responding and mobs becoming the undead (you killed them, but they wont lie down), I have never had this happen before.

As I said, people on BR were running around shouting HOORAY !! NO LAG the first time out, then it was "The lag is terrible, worse than 32bit" the 2nd time around; so what did SSG do between the two BR sessions??

BTW, that old gfx card is still going, in an AMD "AM1" class system that runs LOTRO nearly as well at medium settings, but gets exactly the same lag issues and pauses my main system does - on a totally different connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    My basic computer is the same I have run for nearly 10 years*, only better gfx card and a NVME SSD; yet the game runs slower and slower every year, despite tweaking the cpu speeds higher and higher, and the game gfx settings lower. When I started I used to get 80fps average and 140 fps out of town, now it is more like 50 average and 80 out of town - on a gfx card 10x as powerful as the original; the games back end, NPC and Taskboard response times went off a cliff years ago, and never recovered. Skill inductions, that say 0.8 seconds take well over 1 second, nearer 2 at times (animation glitches), and travel skills induction times seem nearly double.

* I did "upgrade the cpu, but the FX range was so awful, I went back to the Phenom II.

THIS year, kill too many mobs too quickly and the server cannot keep up, you start getting pauses, skills not responding and mobs becoming the undead (you killed them, but they wont lie down), I have never had this happen before.

As I said, people on BR were running around shouting HOORAY !! NO LAG the first time out, then it was "The lag is terrible, worse than 32bit" the 2nd time around; so what did SSG do between the two BR sessions??

BTW, that old gfx card is still going, in an AMD "AM1" class system that runs LOTRO nearly as well at medium settings, but gets exactly the same lag issues and pauses my main system does - on a totally different connection.
    And my system is also old, it does use one of the FX processors, but it dates to the days before integrated on-die GPUs. MB bios is 2013, bought in 2015. I still have DDR3 RAM. It runs just fine using an Nvidia GTx1050. I don't have an NVME SSD, the board is too old for that! The kind of stuff you talk about seems to only happen to me when I see network trouble. I guess some of that is the side of "The Pond" we are on. Given the co-location of the server hardware, that spot is DDoS attacked 24/7; some days worse than others. I say that it isn't so much that the servers "can't keep up", but that the database manager locks out data "too far out of bounds". Not the same thing as overwhelmed switches, which trigger a database lock when that server's keep alive times out.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Try the settings in this post - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...00#post7934300 - and see how it looks/plays.

I want to thank you for the guide! It did helped me a lot. I saw an improvement on my in-game water.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    And my system is also old, it does use one of the FX processors, but it dates to the days before integrated on-die GPUs. MB bios is 2013, bought in 2015. I still have DDR3 RAM. It runs just fine using an Nvidia GTx1050. I don't have an NVME SSD, the board is too old for that! The kind of stuff you talk about seems to only happen to me when I see network trouble. I guess some of that is the side of "The Pond" we are on. Given the co-location of the server hardware, that spot is DDoS attacked 24/7; some days worse than others. I say that it isn't so much that the servers "can't keep up", but that the database manager locks out data "too far out of bounds". Not the same thing as overwhelmed switches, which trigger a database lock when that server's keep alive times out.
    DDR3 RAM limited to 1600MHz because the PII chips dont support 1800MHz; and those FX chips are REALLY bad; I got mine up to 5.01 GHZ, and it still couldnt match the PII at 3.7GHZ (both hexacores).

My BIOS is 2012 [sticks out tongue]

NVME drive sits in a PCIEx16 adapter, the hard part was getting a driver for it, MicroGit have deleted the Win7/8/8.1 driver, claiming NVME drives only work on Win10. It might not run full speed, but 1500MB/s is still a lot better than 550MB/s from a SATA SSD.

I have a pretty solid connection from a premium ISP, my normal ping to LOTRO is 85-90mS; 80 is about the theoretical minimum; when you get DDOS trouble, you expect to see packet loss; but 90% of the time no packet loss is detected.

I have noticed performance is particularly bad when BullRoarer is open.

I played the game for a while before the server consolidation*, and the drop in performance afterwards was pretty awful; and again, not long before the SSG "buy-out" was announced, there was another drop in backend performance; taskboards used to respond almost instantly to every request - then suddenly they would take 5-6 seconds just to open, and there was a weird fps slowdown effect if you got anywhere near one. This has only ever been partially fixed.

*Back then, you could ride through Breetown without any stuttering, or lag that spun you out of control.