We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1

    European song contest

    Rant; why does the UK bother with the stupid Europian song contest. Its not about who has the best song but which country you hate most. Or which country voted for you so you can pay them back by voting for them.

    And ### are Australian and Israel doing in a EUROPEAN song contest.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrixzia View Post
    Rant; why does the UK bother with the stupid Europian song contest. Its not about who has the best song but which country you hate most. Or which country voted for you so you can pay them back by voting for them.

    And ### are Australian and Israel doing in a EUROPEAN song contest.
    And some EUROPEAN countries never invited into contest. They must stop it and revamp, and destroy stupid political voting system.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,415
    It's hardly worth watching anymore. There used to be some fun and interesting songs each year, none of which ever won but were good to hear. Now they get filtered out before we get to hear them and what's left is the rubbish. I can't even remember when was the last time the winner even made it in the music charts!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrixzia View Post
    Rant; why does the UK bother with the stupid Europian song contest. Its not about who has the best song but which country you hate most. Or which country voted for you so you can pay them back by voting for them.

    And ### are Australian and Israel doing in a EUROPEAN song contest.
    You havent been paying attention, Australia and Israel have been in for a number of years.

    Martians have applied to join.

    I agree though, it shows the true feels of much of the European population, which is why I voted to leave - they just dont like us.

    Of course we know this, so troll Eurovision with our votes - like voting for Macedonia this year.

  5. #5
    It is NORTH Macedonia, for the record. You just offended a lot of people from Greece.

    And Australia may be located on the opposite side of the earth, but it still is part of the Commonwealth (like Canada, several caribic islands, or India and Sri Lanka)

    About the song: He may be a good singer, but that song didn't do an impression on the major part of the viewers. Neither did 'Sisters' from Germany, where I am hailing from.


    Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 120 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 120 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    939
    Being one of the Big 5 is a drawback I think. Less exposure and other countries think that you are cheating is not helping.
    Italy is the only country that seems to get away with it. Perhaps by selecting more original performers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    It is NORTH Macedonia, for the record. You just offended a lot of people from Greece.

    And Australia may be located on the opposite side of the earth, but it still is part of the Commonwealth (like Canada, several caribic islands, or India and Sri Lanka)

    About the song: He may be a good singer, but that song didn't do an impression on the major part of the viewers. Neither did 'Sisters' from Germany, where I am hailing from.


    Greetings, Polymachos
    Sorry, I didnt watch it, I took the country name from a tweet by TechnicallyRon, so please redirect any out-raged Greeks at him.

    I gave up watching a LONG time ago, when it was obvious the voting was all about politics and not about the song/performance.

    Greenland* and Israel arent part of Europe, or the Commonwealth, but are in the contest.

    *I think I remember them being allowed in.

    Watch out next year for the Pink Furry Things from Alpha Centuri.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,544
    I find it amazing how huge Eurovision is yet no broadcaster in the United States has the rights to air it. Us Yanks are stuck with YouTube highlights.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I find it amazing how huge Eurovision is yet no broadcaster in the United States has the rights to air it. Us Yanks are stuck with YouTube highlights.
    Which is how most US performances go vs the rest of the world.

  10. #10
    I admit I never took it seriously even many years ago when I sometimes watched - even when the music was decent.

    Just a bit of fun with watching and voting, along the lines of Father Ted's "A Song for Europe".
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    2,029
    I think the UK (i.e. the BBC) doesn't take it seriously because if you win you have to host it and it costs a fortune.

    We've only ever won it 5 times anyway (one joint win when 4 countries tied). So not like we have a spectacular record to uphold.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Eisenberge
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I find it amazing how huge Eurovision is yet no broadcaster in the United States has the rights to air it. Us Yanks are stuck with YouTube highlights.
    ...In an interview with Executive Supervisor of the Eurovision Song Contest, Jon Ola Sand, Israel Hayom reports that an American version of the Eurovision Song Contest is in production. The report states: Recently, a contract was signed with producers who will try to create an American version of the competition....
    https://eurovoix.com/2019/05/13/unit...in-production/

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    I think the UK (i.e. the BBC) doesn't take it seriously because if you win you have to host it and it costs a fortune.

    We've only ever won it 5 times anyway (one joint win when 4 countries tied). So not like we have a spectacular record to uphold.
    Even a half-arsed attempt should get more than nil puá; the UK could put in the best act on the planet, and it would still get voted down; the whole thing has been run along nationalistic lines for decades; the same voting patterns year after year.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Posts
    3,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Even a half-arsed attempt should get more than nil puá; the UK could put in the best act on the planet, and it would still get voted down; the whole thing has been run along nationalistic lines for decades; the same voting patterns year after year.
    I am not a fan of ESC, but since I live in Europa and in a country who has won the ESC 6 times, I, and many with me, follow it with a bit of a mainly disinterested glance.

    However, either you back up that statement with credible stats or you delete it. There are "block-voting" tendencies, as illustrated in this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovi...aphical_voting but as they show up and are spotted means are in place to counteract them.

    As for the US airing it or not, well as any other series or televised event, even sports and culture, you have to get the rights for it. We don't air the SuperBowl in Sweden and thank God for that!

    American Song Contest coming up: https://eurovoix.com/2019/05/15/deta...-song-contest/
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

  15. #15
    @Cordovan: I don't think you have missed much, especially regarding the 'performance' of Madonna.


    Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 120 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 120 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    I am not a fan of ESC, but since I live in Europa and in a country who has won the ESC 6 times, I, and many with me, follow it with a bit of a mainly disinterested glance.

    However, either you back up that statement with credible stats or you delete it. There are "block-voting" tendencies, as illustrated in this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovi...aphical_voting but as they show up and are spotted means are in place to counteract them.

    As for the US airing it or not, well as any other series or televised event, even sports and culture, you have to get the rights for it. We don't air the SuperBowl in Sweden and thank God for that!

    American Song Contest coming up: https://eurovoix.com/2019/05/15/deta...-song-contest/
    Err, you demand I produce proof, then you link to proof - or did you not read it all the way through??

    Say waaa???

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    I agree though, it shows the true feels of much of the European population, which is why I voted to leave - they just dont like us.
    Amongst all the perfectly valid reasons to vote for leave, I'll just file "Europe doesn't like us, because they didn't let our, uninspired, ghost written by another country, performed in the most boring way, forgettable song, win." as officially the dumbest one. Turns out if you keep putting in no effort countries who take the time to find talent will win, who would have thunk it.

    And, if Europe really didn't like you, they wouldn't have put up with your parliamentarian #### show by giving you an extension, just sayin'.
    The road goes ever on.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronimli View Post
    Amongst all the perfectly valid reasons to vote for leave, I'll just file "Europe doesn't like us, because they didn't let our, uninspired, ghost written by another country, performed in the most boring way, forgettable song, win." as officially the dumbest one. Turns out if you keep putting in no effort countries who take the time to find talent will win, who would have thunk it.

    And, if Europe really didn't like you, they wouldn't have put up with your parliamentarian #### show by giving you an extension, just sayin'.
    OK, I was being flippant.

    I voted to leave due to the unwillingness of the EU to admit to, and investigate the appealing levels of corruption and fraud within their organisation.

    Bulgaria is the example I like to use; they were given umpteen billion Euros to modernise their farming systems for EU entry; instead they used it to build ski resorts.

    Clear fraud.

    What did the EU do?

    They retrospectively rewrote the terms, to allow it to be spent on ski resorts.

    EU's own auditors estimate over 30% of the EU budget is lost to fraud.

    The EU claim fraud accounts for less than 0.1% of its budget.

    EU auditors have refused to sign off the EU accounts for over a decade.



    Blaming it on Eurovision takes up so much less space.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Posts
    3,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Err, you demand I produce proof, then you link to proof - or did you not read it all the way through??

    Say waaa???
    Yours is a grouse generalisation in the line of conspiratorial theories and violation of ESC rules.

    Mine is simply stating that some countries may vote for their neighbours for many different reasons, shared culture, shared history, shared language, but you don't seem to know enough of Europe to understand that.

    Sweden may often collaborate with Denmark or Norway, because we have similar language, history and cultural heritage, even if Denmark was at war with Sweden many times in the past. Spain is likely to side with Portugal, just as well as not, because they are neighbours, have similar geopolitical interest, but it's also true they have also been at war. France may support Algiers, or vice versa, because Algiers is a former French colony, just like USA is former English, Spanish, French, Swedish, Russian and Dutch colonies... albeit the history of that is a bit different.

    Then there is of course the political aspect. Russia's neighbours, former Soviet republics most of them, may consider voting for Russia, because we all know Putin is a wildcard. And sadly we all know that USA's neighbours nowadays may have similar considerations, hardly of cultural nature though, considering how the current leadership behaves.

    About Israel, there is this old notion that is valid for Israel, Jordania, Egypt, Syria, Libya, Palestine, Tunis, Turkey, Algiers and Morocco that the Mediterranean Sea is a common interest zone for all those and Europe, that has been so since the Phoenicians roamed the seas trading all over the place and maybe even before that...Which is about 3000 years ago.

    BTW Greenland is Denmark.

    BTWBTW. Brexit is a disaster beyond civilised wordings and you guys will live to regret it as employment and investments in the UK declines, which it already has. I can only hope for a second referendum to prove your sanity.
    Last edited by Marancil; May 19 2019 at 04:51 PM.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,755
    [QUOTE=Marancil;7934820]BTW. Brexit is a disaster beyond civilised wordings and you guys will live to regret it as employment and investments in the UK declines, which it already has./QUOTE]

    Yes it has, and I expect it will take perhaps 2 decades to recover if we cannot get a competent government in place (fat chance of that any time soon) - but I dont expect the EU will be around in its present form by then; the EU economy is generally a basket case, with only a couple of other countries being net contributors to the EU budget; the financial rules were bent to breaking point to let countries in that are now bankrupt because they were allowed to lie about how their economies were performing.

    Spain, Portugal, Greece, are all hanging on by a thread, Ireland is so-so, most of the FSU countries are falling back into dictatorships and Soviet style decay; Germany isnt going to keep propping them up forever, and the French wont be able to rely on getting their lions share of the basket any longer.

    Dont you find it interesting that the "bill" given to the UK for leaving expenses was almost exactly the same amount as the hole in the EU zone pension funds?? The UK is the only large country that has its pensions anywhere near in balance, even the Germans are facing a huge black hole; and the French......

    I read a lot; none of it in newspapers or on TV news.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrixzia View Post
    Rant; why does the UK bother with the stupid Europian song contest. Its not about who has the best song but which country you hate most. Or which country voted for you so you can pay them back by voting for them.

    And ### are Australian and Israel doing in a EUROPEAN song contest.
    The only reason that we remain in the competition is so that we can laugh at it and with Graham Norton's commentary. His explanation for Iceland's entry (they have long winters... I'd be angry too) was pure genius.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlindor View Post
    The only reason that we remain in the competition is so that we can laugh at it and with Graham Norton's commentary. His explanation for Iceland's entry (they have long winters... I'd be angry too) was pure genius.
    THAT is funny, hopefully someone will post the clip somewhere.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    And some EUROPEAN countries never invited into contest. They must stop it and revamp, and destroy stupid political voting system.
    Just curious, which European countries where never invited?

    And where Europe ends in the Middle-east has always been a little unclear, Israel also is part of the Eurepean football association f.e. Which in the current political situation is probably a sensible thing to do, you prevent a lot of football matches between Israel/ Israelean teams and their middle-eastern neighbours...

    I think Australia does a nice contribution to the ESC budget, so they are allowed. It's all about the money...


    The results of the Netherlands this year, and also some of the other last couple of years, at least gives me the idea it isn't all political voting. And countries in the same region, have the same cultural background in general, and thus a similar taste of music. So of course they are more inclined to vote for music they like more.
    Server: Evernight

    Main: Thrabath - Champion - Lvl 105; Thramhir - Minstrel - Lvl 105

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I find it amazing how huge Eurovision is yet no broadcaster in the United States has the rights to air it. Us Yanks are stuck with YouTube highlights.
    I wish the USA could enter.. that way the UK wouldn't be in last place in the popularity contest... lol
    WHY DO PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE LEAST, KNOW IT THE LOUDEST?

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrabath View Post
    The results of the Netherlands this year, and also some of the other last couple of years, at least gives me the idea it isn't all political voting. And countries in the same region, have the same cultural background in general, and thus a similar taste of music. So of course they are more inclined to vote for music they like more.
    You are correct in the fact that some anomalies can pop up now due to viewer voting, which is a very very recent addition, as before it was a committee from each country which was totally controlled by most countries to vote in a particular way. However, there is absolutely still political voting....

    Do you think the Netherlands would have won if they were the country trying to leave the union? A lot of citizens of the EU resent the fact that the UK wants some autonomy in certain areas and has allowed this situation because of their inflexibility and fear loss of control as other member states would also want the same. The union was created to benefit all members but has become a hydra whose many heads seek control but inevitably just cause derision and back biting.

    So, back on point... yes the competition is fun to watch but you may as well turn it off when the voting starts if you think it is a serious song competition.... although if I do watch it... it is the voting which is the most fun... a real comedy
    WHY DO PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE LEAST, KNOW IT THE LOUDEST?

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload