We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lightbulb New class suggestion: Thain

As I was making new characters on the legendary servers, I realized once again that the dwarves and hobbits don't have nearly as many classes as other races. So I decided to finally post about one I wish existed: the Thain.

Mechanically Thains rest somewhere between the captains and the champions of the world. They've seen a few things and know a few things. Thains are more like te right hand man of either of these classes. A Thain wouldn't so much inspire troop morale, but he might vigorously demonstrate with his weapon how to REALLY hit your opponent. And though he can't cleave down great hordes of foes like a champion, a Thain would be a formidable whirlwind in his own right. This is the flavorful way of saying they could boost fellowship damage (and/or power?) and use AoE's against a few foes; perhaps 5 at most so as to not overtake the champion. They should be "Lead by Example" types and operate on the front lines; boasting as much as bashing.

To preface this, I Am Not A Game Designer. I'm just another dude with an idea, so I leave the realities to SSG, should they find any of this interesting.

That being said, personally I'd like to think Thains would be a dwarf or hobbit class with an exclusive focus on two handed weapons (hammers and clubs dont get nearly enough love ) to include halberds (looking at you captains with all your halberd hoarding). The trait lines could be focused on fellowship buffing, aoe dps, and then single target dps. I would also love to see the attunement mechanic get used in close combat to build "might" and "presence" stacks to get to a state of (timed or resource based) high powered skill usage. And the captains defeat responses are awesome for this class.

As I understand it this class would draw inspiration from characters like Meriadoc Brandybuck (fellowship buffing inspiration), Brandobras "bullroarer" Took (single target *cough* golfimbul *cough* inspiration), and Dain Ironfoot (aoe dps inspiration). I believe all three of these characters were titled Thains, but more importantly they fit the characteristics of the class.

Happy discussion!

I really don't want this. I think the class roles have already been filled. Races too.

Not only that, I want more lands, quests, and other content, not a new race or class to go over content we already have.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I don't think we need any additional classes. We have enough variety as is.

I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. An Alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcanith View Post
    That being said, personally I'd like to think Thains would be a dwarf or hobbit class
    Err... sorry, but there was only *one* Thain around and that was Pippin's dad, the Thain of the Shire (the leader of the Shire's militia). Nothing to do with Dwarves at all. It was Pippin who later succeeded his father to became the Thain (Merry had nothing to do with it) and even that didn't happen until well over a decade after the War of the Ring. Whatever else, you'd really have to call it something else.

The hobbits didn't have a proper military and weren't warlike or bloodthirsty so if you're styling this as a halfway house between Captains and Champions then hobbits are the least likely contenders.

Bullroarer, Merry and Pippin all either were or became freakishly tall and strong for hobbits (as tall as Dwarves), and so they're not really an example you can look to for player-characters.

I really agree with the OP about that hobbits n dwarves should had more classes to choose!
    I d like to see a heavy class especially for the dwarves, Thain is not a suitable name, maybe Lord or Captain(of some type), king's sentinel, flagman or esquire maybe
    Now in shire's days of the war of the rings, Thain is more a decorative title. I dont think its something suitable to the hobbits......
    Basically i cant see why or how a hobbit should or could use heavy armor, the warden is the more suitable class for them to represent bounders, along with the hunters, minstrels n burglars
    If i m asked to say what else can a hobbit be, i m only thinking of a militia type of light armor but i dont see a role that warden n hunter cant fill atm.....
    Maybe a light armor clubber with shield of somekind of potencial........ i dont really know if there is any kind of need........
    maybe, as OP asking, hobbits need an officer of some kind to organize bounders? a chief bounder class?
    Bringing an interesting class in the game is something nice always n brings income but atm, devs are reworking existing classes,
    creating new content for the next expansion, the map is big, the bugs are there, not to mention the grind needed to reach endgame!
    I d love to see something like a dwarf heavy class to be included in next expansion along with a lvl 120 aria, n if this happen i ll buy the packet including it,
    but other things should come first n thats the right content to keep the game running!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I really don't want this. I think the class roles have already been filled. Races too.

Not only that, I want more lands, quests, and other content, not a new race or class to go over content we already have.
    I heartily agree.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

After the success of the red guardian and beorning revamps your description sounds very close to a revamped red captain so maybe the class already exists and just needs a little love.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Err... sorry, but there was only *one* Thain around and that was Pippin's dad, the Thain of the Shire (the leader of the Shire's militia). Nothing to do with Dwarves at all. It was Pippin who later succeeded his father to become Thain of the Shire.
    Ah yes, so it was. Its been a while since I read the books ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post

we said the same thing before n we got RK, warden, beorning, HE.......
    if the company belive that a new race or class is needed, they will do it
    (when i write "needed" ofc i mean financial above everything else)
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Ah yes, so it was. Its been a while since I read the books ;p
    basically there is a line of Thains, talking about shire, while we have met many among the rohirim......

Quote Originally Posted by JERH View Post
    After the success of the red guardian and beorning revamps your description sounds very close to a revamped red captain so maybe the class already exists and just needs a little love.
    OP talking about more classes for hobbits n Dwarves, i have no prob if they deside to open captain class for the folk under the mountain,
    tho i believe, king Thorin III would demand something new n interesting representing Durin's folk history n his royal guard
    and i hate halberds!

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    basically there is a line of Thains, talking about shire, while we have met many among the rohirim......
    The Rohirrim ones are Thanes (they offer their lord their fealty and military service in exchange for the land they hold), it's not quite the same thing. In the Shire, there was one 'Thain' who'd do the military bit by commanding the militia on the rare occasions when it was called up, but who didn't govern the whole Shire. More of a notional thing because the hobbits had their own way of running things, but they'd owed the king for the land the Shire stood on and so they traditionally had this one guy whose role was to ensure they could meet their obligations in the event of war.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    The Rohirrim ones are Thanes (they offer their lord their fealty and military service in exchange for the land they hold), ...
    This notion of the "Thane" was why I included the dwarves in my OP. Admittedly, I was thinking much more of the dwarf thane from warhammer fantasy as a hero choice than of the traditional "land owner with military obligations".

Regardless of all that, I noticed that on the wiki page for classes (specifically https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Class) there is a lovely chart showing the roles of the classes. There are generally two primary sources for each role except in 3 catagories: AoE DPS, Crowd Control, and Buffing. A "right hand man" to the captain and champions of the world seemed a logical fit just in the same way that nearly every kitchen has a sous chef to help the exec.

Also I wasn't able to come up with a CC'er quite as easily

Minus the name, which is obviously insufficient at this point, I do feel like hybrid/new classes reinvigorate huge portions of the game and its player base. Though I would like new content as well, I very much enjoy playing the game from a new class's context at least as much, if not more so, than playing a new area's worth of stuff.

As an aside, to satisfy a bit of my curiosity it would be awesome if a dev could chime in briefly to say what the financial costs/gains are in respect to developing new classes versus developing new areas ^.^

Admittedly, I was thinking much more of the dwarf thane from warhammer fantasy as a hero choice than of the traditional "land owner with military obligations".
    Those Thanes in Warhammer aren't just heroes either, they're meant to be the patriarchs of Dwarven clans. The Middle-earth equivalent would be Dwarf-lords like Thorin or Dain, kind of a select group.

A "right hand man" to the captain and champions of the world seemed a logical fit just in the same way that nearly every kitchen has a sous chef to help the exec.
    Captains already have that built in, that's pretty much what their heralds are. Champions are more of a thing unto themselves, the lone hero. The two don't really go that well together.