We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Please move the proto-Marxist again

You know the one ... she's in Michel Delving, and she's been lecturing (since SoA launch) to a couple of bewildered Hobbits, all about how rancid pie fillings are because of the greed of the privileged few.

She used to be up the hill next to the statue of Marcho and Blanco, but since that has been surrounded by memorials and flower bushes, she's been moved to a little hillock midway between the Milestone and the Stable-master. So that every time one runs between those two points, "hearing" her is unavoidable.

I don't say that she should be silenced; far from it. I would like to see her moved a second time, to some less-traveled location, so that my several alts who make that run every day don't have to listen to her every day.

Personally, I think the rancid pies have nothing to do with the privileged few; I suspect an inefficient distribution system that allows pies to sit around too long (in a place and time without refrigeration) for too long.

Students of history may remember that UKians used to scorn USians who insisted that eggs being transported from farm to market be refrigerated. (It didn't occur to them that in the UK that journey might be a matter of two miles, and in the US, two hundred or a thousand.) Anyway, World War II happened, and a whole boxcar load of eggs got diverted to a siding and sat there for months until they were discovered, in a state of extreme decay. I don't know what kind of fillings are going rancid, but if they're some kind of cream or custard, they will not only taste bad, they'll be dangerous to the consumer's health.

, obviously; but I still would like to see her moved.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    You know the one ... she's in Michel Delving, and she's been lecturing (since SoA launch) to a couple of bewildered Hobbits, all about how rancid pie fillings are because of the greed of the privileged few.

She used to be up the hill next to the statue of Marcho and Blanco, but since that has been surrounded by memorials and flower bushes, she's been moved to a little hillock midway between the Milestone and the Stable-master. So that every time one runs between those two points, "hearing" her is unavoidable.

I don't say that she should be silenced; far from it. I would like to see her moved a second time, to some less-traveled location, so that my several alts who make that run every day don't have to listen to her every day.

Personally, I think the rancid pies have nothing to do with the privileged few; I suspect an inefficient distribution system that allows pies to sit around too long (in a place and time without refrigeration) for too long.

Students of history may remember that UKians used to scorn USians who insisted that eggs being transported from farm to market be refrigerated. (It didn't occur to them that in the UK that journey might be a matter of two miles, and in the US, two hundred or a thousand.) Anyway, World War II happened, and a whole boxcar load of eggs got diverted to a siding and sat there for months until they were discovered, in a state of extreme decay. I don't know what kind of fillings are going rancid, but if they're some kind of cream or custard, they will not only taste bad, they'll be dangerous to the consumer's health.

I blame the anti-sugar movement; with the proper amount of sugar the pies wouldnt go bad; but they keep bleating that sugar is bad for us, so we get food poisoning instead!!!!

DOWN WITH THE KEEP-FIT, LOW SUGAR ELITE!!!!!

No! She makes me laugh every time I go by her. Well, not her, but the hobbit who says "What's she talking about?" in response. I love it!!

Bring on the glorious hobbit revolution, say I. No more bourgeois fruit pies. Tater pies for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Bring on the glorious hobbit revolution, say I. No more bourgeois fruit pies. Tater pies for all.
    Tater pies are Middle Class!!

We want tater pie SANDWICHES!!!!

I would rather have that stupid monstrosity of a garden removed and the Marxist hobbits put back to where they originally were. That stupid garden is right smack dab in everyone's way. It reminds me of a hoarder's episode on tv because you have to maneuver around or through it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

True, but if the bourgeois elite are decadently producing far more pies than they either need or can store properly, and leaving them to go rotten rather than share them with the poor, then she could have a point...

Don’t worry, I’m not starting up a political debate (ducks to avoid thrown stone), I’m just playing devil’s advocate
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

The Proto-Marxist? That's a first in my experience of any mentions directed to Hobbits.

Its been some years, since I did the quest chain about the rancid pies at Hobbiton but I don't recall it being about pies setting around for a time. What I remember has more to do with what the woman at MD says. The privileged get the best pie fillings. Best as in quality ingredients. Where as in, not the best would be 2nds. Which are often overripe. Possibly contaminated by bugs bites or fungus. In general more predisposed to an earlier decay rate.

I like the Hobbit and her friends being where they are. Though they were fine where they were before but gaudy statues won out for the spot.

Historically there is a reality of the well-to-do always getting the best foods and the lesser folk sifting through the remainder. In many cases even the farmer themselves being held to the same station standards of the day.

Grains in particular. Lesser Folk lose the teeth earlier due to eating grains contaminated with grit of the earth, sand. Where as the well to do had their grains washed. Mainly because they could and not by coincidence had the best access to clean water. Other contaminants such as the common occurrence known as St. Anthony's Fire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Anthony%27s_fire
    Caused by infected seeds by fungus commonly known as Ergot and its effects by consumption known as Ergotism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism

So, you see there is a solid basis for the dialogue between the Hobbits near the MD stable. Ergot is a naturally occurring fungus anywhere grains are grown. Also the fungus will continue to grow for years, and even decades long after the infected grain has decomposed. Many old barns harbor Ergot and when a person gets exposed to the gases ergot gives off they can become very ill and subsequently very high. Unless ofc you are a DeadHead pillaging old barns. Think about those pies and the pie crust specifically and add the fact the lesser folk get the 2nds of near any crop including grains.

Btw, Farm Fresh eggs can last near a month unrefrigerated as long as the environment they are in isn't of extreme heat or humidity. I prefer those to store bought refrigerated eggs any day. They just taste better.

Maybe you should wander out more often and LEAVE MA HOBBITS ALONE.
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    The Proto-Marxist? That's a first in my experience of any mentions directed to Hobbits.

Its been some years, since I did the quest chain about the rancid pies at Hobbiton but I don't recall it being about pies setting around for a time. What I remember has more to do with what the woman at MD says. The privileged get the best pie fillings. Best as in quality ingredients. Where as in, not the best would be 2nds. Which are often overripe. Possibly contaminated by bugs bites or fungus. In general more predisposed to an earlier decay rate.

I like the Hobbit and her friends being where they are. Though they were fine where they were before but gaudy statues won out for the spot.

Historically there is a reality of the well-to-do always getting the best foods and the lesser folk sifting through the remainder. In many cases even the farmer themselves being held to the same station standards of the day.

Grains in particular. Lesser Folk lose the teeth earlier due to eating grains contaminated with grit of the earth, sand. Where as the well to do had their grains washed. Mainly because they could and not by coincidence had the best access to clean water. Other contaminants such as the common occurrence known as St. Anthony's Fire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Anthony%27s_fire
    Caused by infected seeds by fungus commonly known as Ergot and its effects by consumption known as Ergotism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism

So, you see there is a solid basis for the dialogue between the Hobbits near the MD stable. Ergot is a naturally occurring fungus anywhere grains are grown. Also the fungus will continue to grow for years, and even decades long after the infected grain has decomposed. Many old barns harbor Ergot and when a person gets exposed to the gases ergot gives off they can become very ill and subsequently very high. Unless ofc you are a DeadHead pillaging old barns. Think about those pies and the pie crust specifically and add the fact the lesser folk get the 2nds of near any crop including grains.

Btw, Farm Fresh eggs can last near a month unrefrigerated as long as the environment they are in isn't of extreme heat or humidity. I prefer those to store bought refrigerated eggs any day. They just taste better.

Well, I have since discovered that on my route from the MD milestone to the Stable-master, if I hug the fence around the Bounders' monument all the way south to the Road, I'm out of "earshot" and don't have to be annoyed.

One thing about refrigeration, though. Back in the day, people had 1. cellars (almost always around ground temp and that's almost always around 50F/10C) and 2. Ice boxes, which were wooden crates or boxes with ice in them. The point about ergot and ergotism is a good one. Rye tended to have that problem more than wheat, if I am remembering correctly. I do, though, get a giggle from the response "What is she talking about?", which, I guess, is why there is a comment about 'proto-Marxist'.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post

Refrigerating eggs thins the albumin, making it more likely the yolk will break; I used to keep mine in the larder - where they would last a month easily, but SWMBO is from the sub-tropics, and thinks anything not refrigerated will be poisonous after 2 hours.

My last house (1920's farm workers cottage), had a larder containing a huge, thick slab of slate that would stay around 6-7C all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I would rather have that stupid monstrosity of a garden removed and the Marxist hobbits put back to where they originally were. That stupid garden is right smack dab in everyone's way. It reminds me of a hoarder's episode on tv because you have to maneuver around or through it.
    Amen! I'll definitely sign this petition. I've thought this was an eyesore from day one.
    "It is better to be present with ten men....than absent with ten thousand"
    Daenith Erlundir ~ of Landroval
    Ranger

I love that hobbit, she's going places. One of my favorite NPCs for sure. But I agree she should be moved to her original place.

Quote Originally Posted by EranodoreAlphemel View Post
    I love that hobbit, she's going places. One of my favorite NPCs for sure. But I agree she should be moved to her original place.
    Agreed, someone should nominate her to run against Jeremy Corbin for leadership of the Labour Party, High Quality Fresh Pies for all!!!!

He must agree with the idea of fresh pies, as he spends so much time in the shed at his allotment!!.

Well, I have since discovered that on my route from the MD milestone to the Stable-master, if I hug the fence around the Bounders' monument all the way south to the Road, I'm out of "earshot" and don't have to be annoyed.
    I went to those NPCs and stood there for about 5 minutes. I could not conclude how anyone would consider this annoying. By the time 20 minutes passed, I had the company of 3 other players playing Hobbits. I ask them what they thought about the pies, the Mayor, the Tooks and Brandybucks. During this time the NPCs interjected their thoughts which coincidentally fell right in place with our player conversation. Ofc All was in say chat. So we wouldn't offend passerbys.

The conclusion of our chats led to the idea that all folk passing through MD should pay the Shire a fee beyond the stable fee. Especially if they were Elves. Oddly enough the woman who annoys you didn't disagree with our conclusions. There on the spot, we formed a committee to petition the Mayor to make it so. All this traveling through our Shire disrupts the tranquil setting of our towns and social gatherings. Also its well known those Elves have a propensity to discard items and trash without regard to the work it takes to keep the Shire spiffy, clean. Given the Mayor accepts our petition, the Shire will post the fees at the stable. Thereby notifying every stable user.

The fees will display accordingly.

Man: 30 coppers, (Cause we likes the Aragorn guy)

Dwarves: 15 coppers, (Cause they make us nifty toys)

Hobbits: Zero coppers, YAY!

Elves: 60 silver, (Shire folk know these people always get others to do their dirty work. Cleaning and such. We don't want our towns looking like theirs.)

#Keep the Shire clean.
    Last edited by sapienze; May 19 2019 at 01:32 AM.
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

I don't see an issue with this or why they should be moved again, i guess could be moved back, But I really see no point, as its very simple to just ignore the chat and move on with your quest.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Please let the first things to be razed during the Scourging of the Shire be the pergolas and the briar roses around the the statue of Marcho and Blanco. I really mean it.

If the chatty hobbit lass is forced to turn her bucket over and fill it to put out the conflagration, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Agreed, someone should nominate her to run against Jeremy Corbin for leadership of the Labour Party, High Quality Fresh Pies for all!!!!

He must agree with the idea of fresh pies, as he spends so much time in the shed at his allotment!!.
    If he were in the US, he might have to fear having fresh (or otherwise) pies thrown at him.

Nowadays, according to what I've read, politicians in the UK (particularly right-wing ones) are getting milkshakes thrown at them. It seems to've started a few days ago with a protestor who wanted to throw something, and happened to have a milkshake in his hand....

If he were in the US, he might have to fear having fresh (or otherwise) pies thrown at him.

Nowadays, according to what I've read, politicians in the UK (particularly right-wing ones) are getting milkshakes thrown at them. It seems to've started a few days ago with a protestor who wanted to throw something, and happened to have a milkshake in his hand....
    Dwarf tossing is much better. No need to waste a good milk shake. Stinky dwarves however...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check