We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New race/class Ent

Haven't perfected the idea of it yet but I thought a lot about it today at work (my job is so boring) and I have a few Ent ideas, please feel free to add more.
    At level 1 you would start out very small and get bigger over time, not gonna say his name but Get Right On Our Tree, I think it'd be cool.
    Tree's can't very well ride horses so you would have to walk everywhere slow, but once you've been somewhere maybe you could have something like root travel, or like the beorning's wanderlust but you would roll into a ball and go very quick.
    Also you couldn't stable to a town but I thought maybe a 'remember the fallen' skill where you are able to travel to any campsite, and the Devs could even put in a couple more campsites.
    I really think though that if you're gonna play an Ent you should have quite a bit of patience.
    3 trait trees; a high damage one where you stomp a lot, an aoe one where you whip and bleed them, and a ranged one where you send roots out at distance. Or maybe a third option could be crowd control, roots and snares.
    Armour and crafting. Thought a lot about this and I don't think a tree would wear leather, also don't think they should chop trees, so they should probably have their own vocation but one that uses the ore nodes already in the world.
    For instance gather copper and once you have ... I don't know 100 ore you now have the max amount of armour which will boost various stats by having chunks of copper all over you. But now that won't be very effective against level
    18 enemies so you will have to get barrow iron and so on, yes I know this is way different but Ents are way different.
    Legendary. Maybe have a legendary branch or staff, the class one could be a heartwood or some such. Thought I would have more to say about that but I got nothin.
    Home. Now this may sound racist but Ents should have their own neighborhood, kind of like the beornings do but theirs is lame, stuck in a place and the only way out is a horse to Bree, I'm not fond of it. OH brainstorm. OK, the beornings get
    a travel home skill, the ents could get one and have options once there; go to a certain neighborhood with your own cave, or take this root travel to this town ... possibilities are endless.
    That's all I got for now, I'm sure that more ideas will come to me while I'm at work on monday. That is where I do my best thinking, I mean really, how badly does air traffic have to be controlled anyway

I just can’t see an ent standing next to me at a vault or AH vendor. Don’t they stay in the forest?

Quote Originally Posted by jamiimaj View Post
    Haven't perfected the idea of it yet
    There's something you've missed: it's a given that there were no young Ents, a.k.a. Entings, on account of the Ent-wives having been lost a long long time ago. There were only full-grown Ents, thousands of years old. That's referenced in the game so it's part of the game's lore. And really, given what Ents were meant to be like they're not something that ever could or should be made playable - they're just too different and too singular in character, very much NPC material.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    There's something you've missed: it's a given that there were no young Ents, a.k.a. Entings, on account of the Ent-wives having been lost a long long time ago. There were only full-grown Ents, thousands of years old. That's referenced in the game so it's part of the game's lore. And really, given what Ents were meant to be like they're not something that ever could or should be made playable - they're just too different and too singular in character, very much NPC material.
    I’m afraid I have to agree on this one, sorry. Other practicalities, aside from lore-breaking stuff:

1. Due to the loss of the Entwives, you couldn’t have any female characters
    2. Ents wear no clothes, so there would be no gear to earn
    3. They would be too big to fit through doors or trapdoors and most cave entrances, so you couldn’t enter any buildings in game and therefore couldn’t do most of the quests
    4. Imagine trying to RP as an Ent... wow that would get long and boring :P

Nice thoughts, but not really doable. You do get to play as Treebeard in a quest later on though, so there is that opportunity...
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

How about this, a hybrid. A mule is part horse part donkey, smaller than both and stronger but can't have offspring. An orc is made, they don't have girl orcs. No girl ents? hybrid, smaller and stronger.

A Shrubbery!?

It's just not going to work for a whole bunch of practical reasons. Can't wear armour, jewellery, use weapons, use most doorways, stand up in or walk through hobbit to human sized interior locations.. Plus, imagine the NPC interactions - they would take days or weeks!

Cheers
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

/not signed. An ent race/class would not work at all for many reasons and ones pointed out above.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

How about this, a hybrid. A mule is part horse part donkey, smaller than both and stronger but can't have offspring. An orc is made, they don't have girl orcs. No girl ents? hybrid, smaller and stronger.
    Yeah, but they never, ever leave the forest, and Isengard doesn't count because it was next to the forest. Even Hobbits go on adventures some time, but not ents. And there is no way in Hell that an Ent would go into town to craft and make vault and AH runs.

Your suggestion is nice, but way too hasty. Hoorumm!!!!!!!!!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

How about this, a hybrid..
    A hybrid with ^what^? Just stop.

a really BIG NOOOO
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

We are not groot.
    /unsupported, sufficient reasons given by others

How about this, a hybrid. A mule is part horse part donkey, smaller than both and stronger but can't have offspring.
    This is mostly true; not always. Some mules are not sterile, but if you find a fertile female mule and a fertile male mule, and breed them together, you don't get a mule, but either an inferior sort of horse or an inferior sort of donkey. Even if they (rarely) can breed, they don't breed true.

An orc is made, they don't have girl orcs.
    Where in the hell did you get that idea?

1. Tolkien said specifically that the orcs reproduce "after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar," that is, sexually. So there are female orcs, but either

(a) they look exactly like the males, so we can't tell the difference, just as with Dwarves; or

(b) the female orcs are kept in their caves making more orcs, like Athenian citizenesses, confined to the gynaikeon all their lives, producing baby after baby.

No girl ents? hybrid, smaller and stronger.
    2. It has already been established that the Ents were dioecious, that is, some were male and some female. The fact that all the Entwives have disappeared -- and Galadriel told Treebeard that they would not return till the world was mended -- means there will be no Entings, eventually no Ents left alive, till world's end.

Even if you could find an Ent willing to crossbreed with some other species -- and remember, they're very strong, and Treebeard said specifically that crossbreeding Men and Orcs was a black evil -- what in Middle-earth or elsewhere would you find to crossbreed them to?

I suggest you do some research. Start with The Lord of the Rings, including the Appendices.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Where in the hell did you get that idea?

1. Tolkien said specifically that the orcs reproduce "after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar," that is, sexually. So there are female orcs, but either

(a) they look exactly like the males, so we can't tell the difference, just as with Dwarves; or

(b) the female orcs are kept in their caves making more orcs, like Athenian citizenesses, confined to the gynaikeon all their lives, producing baby after baby.
    It was apparently something more like the latter as far as Tolkien imagined it, because he said 'not much was known' about the home life of the Orcs while implying they did have one. The tale is told from the point of view of the protagonists, who by and large only get to spend time with Orcs who were soldiers (Saruman's Uruk-hai in particular, and the Uruks of Mordor who were holding Frodo prisoner) and the Orcs are otherwise just there as loathsome cannon fodder, so Tolkien simply hadn't given the matter much thought. The Orcs were originally inspired by soldiers, taking very much after Tolkien's memories of soldiers who were brutalised by the horrors of the Western Front during the First World War, and bear more than a passing resemblance to how enemy soldiers were depicted in wartime propaganda as vicious inhuman brutes. The Orcs bred far more quickly when Sauron was around and he wanted to build up his armies, which has grim implications for how female Orcs would have been treated so it's probably best not to dwell on that.

This is indeed true. And although I am certainly NOT in favor of ent race/classes (It just wouldn't be right....) it isn't completely out of the question or lore-breaking to find a "lost tribe" of ents somewhere (wives included) in an area of middle earth previously unexplored, and come up with a lore-fitting storyline from MadeOfLions that might usher in the return of ent wives to the ents of Eriador and Rhovanion.

This said, there is a lot of discussion of how strict we should adhere to the lore of the books, but the reality is that 80% of the game is made up by Turbine/SSG. No one really knows how people in Forochel dressed, they just borrowed clothing from Arctic cultures, borrowed the language/naming structure from Finnish, and created a zone around it. Names, quests, in many cases animals and monsters, map layouts, settlement locations, storylines within the zones..... all of it is made up. Even the book quests that follow MOST of the book lore, stray away from the books in a fair amount of chapters.

Lotro is after all a game world, and a game world simply has different rules, and different demands than a book. A LOT of things have been done "in the spirit of the lore", not "to the letter of the lore", and any new race or class they may come up with in the future.... NOT ents please..... will likely be "in the spirit".
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    This is indeed true. And although I am certainly NOT in favor of ent race/classes (It just wouldn't be right....) it isn't completely out of the question or lore-breaking to find a "lost tribe" of ents somewhere (wives included) in an area of middle earth previously unexplored, and come up with a lore-fitting storyline from MadeOfLions that might usher in the return of ent wives to the ents of Eriador and Rhovanion.

This said, there is a lot of discussion of how strict we should adhere to the lore of the books, but the reality is that 80% of the game is made up by Turbine/SSG. No one really knows how people in Forochel dressed, they just borrowed clothing from Arctic cultures, borrowed the language/naming structure from Finnish, and created a zone around it. Names, quests, in many cases animals and monsters, map layouts, settlement locations, storylines within the zones..... all of it is made up. Even the book quests that follow MOST of the book lore, stray away from the books in a fair amount of chapters.

Lotro is after all a game world, and a game world simply has different rules, and different demands than a book. A LOT of things have been done "in the spirit of the lore", not "to the letter of the lore", and any new race or class they may come up with in the future.... NOT ents please..... will likely be "in the spirit".
    Game or no, you shouldn't expect twee wish-fulfilment and happy endings at every turn. It's a much stronger bit of story as it is, because it's sad.

Of course, no ents.

But what about trees? The woods have a lot of trees. I am not sure if all huorns are by natur bad, but I think we met a few good ones? (I know, seeing a standing tree in AH is much worse than an ent in AH.)
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik.
    English isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes.

Game or no, you shouldn't expect twee wish-fulfilment and happy endings at every turn. It's a much stronger bit of story as it is, because it's sad.
    Finding a few (or one) female ents would not automatically result in a good ending. They could be tree-ish, too old to get kids, might not like the available male ents, whatever. One could write a nice story and build up an expected good end that does not happen.

BTW Tolkien "assumed" that they were killed during the war. Noted somewhere in the letters.

We already have LOTRO’s theory on what happened to the ent-wives; anyone who has found all the flowers in the Old Forest knows that ...
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    We already have LOTRO’s theory on what happened to the ent-wives; anyone who has found all the flowers in the Old Forest knows that ...
    I always enjoyed that, I have all of my alts get those flowers.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Just 8 of them :-)

there is no reason at all to continue posting on this thread!!!
    any thread with proposals like this should had no answer back at all!!!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    there is no reason at all to continue posting on this thread!!!
    any thread with proposals like this should had no answer back at all!!!
    The thread had a suggestion in the suggestion sub forum.

I'm not expecting anything on the Ents part. The point I was really trying to make is that this game has never adhered to the strict lore - as a game you have to come up with large raid dungeons and such, there never was a balrog pre-moria.... but they needed a raid, called it the rift, and.... ooooh lets just put a balrog at the end.

If they do come up with some new class or race in the future, I expect it to be very much in the spirit of the lore but not strictly adhering to it.

I don't mind a Lossoth race with a few classes for instance, maybe even a new class that fit into that part of the world. Not really in the book or the lore, but just as the current zone..... very much in the spirit of.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    I'm not expecting anything on the Ents part. The point I was really trying to make is that this game has never adhered to the strict lore - as a game you have to come up with large raid dungeons and such, there never was a balrog pre-moria.... but they needed a raid, called it the rift, and.... ooooh lets just put a balrog at the end.

If they do come up with some new class or race in the future, I expect it to be very much in the spirit of the lore but not strictly adhering to it.

I don't mind a Lossoth race with a few classes for instance, maybe even a new class that fit into that part of the world. Not really in the book or the lore, but just as the current zone..... very much in the spirit of.
    ...which was only stating the obvious, until you suggested a Lossoth 'race' - something which would be a contradiction in terms as they could only be more Men if it were genuinely in the spirit of things, because that was what they were.

Coming up next, the new race of Fat Hobbits who've gained special powers from eating all the pies...

Quote Originally Posted by thinx View Post
    Finding a few (or one) female ents would not automatically result in a good ending. They could be tree-ish, too old to get kids, might not like the available male ents, whatever. One could write a nice story and build up an expected good end that does not happen.

BTW Tolkien "assumed" that they were killed during the war. Noted somewhere in the letters.
    That's rather the point, a *nice* story wasn't really what he had in mind, you need some tragedy here and there to set the tone (and *lasting* tragedy at that, the sense of the loss of something wondrous) and messing about with it like you've suggested there would only lessen it. It's more evocative the way it is. Less is more, sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast