We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Removing the Mountains from the North west side of Breeland.

    There will always need to be changes and editing to something in a game, including geographical, terrain and adventuring areas.

    Here is a picture of Breeland. On the top left of the map is a wide area of land that could be opened up to explore except there is a large impassable, colossal mountain barrier that keeps you from crossing. Now the barrier to the south of Breeland along the Homesteads and Andrath is understandable, because there is no Region on the other side that has been added to the game so far. But, the barriers on the north west side of Breeland is a different story. There are regions that can be explored already on all sides of the north west Bree land part. The Shire and Brandywine river is to the west, Breeland to the east and south, and the North downs and Evenduim to the north. What I am asking is to remove the barriers and allow players to explore this vast expanded region that has been kept from us for so long.


    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1463/A3817K.jpg


    Here is a map of Eriador. We find Breeland here, and take a look at the land left and top left of the Bree sign, also right and top right of the Brandywine river. We see land that has no mountains, no barriers, just woods connected to the river and continues on north to the Downs. Other places on this Eriador map have hills because they are specifically labeled as for example, Green hill country and Weather hills. The top left part of Breeland was never labeled and referred to on the map as "The Bree land Mountains". Removing the barriers here would allow access to explore the river, woods, hills, meadows, farms and make the game more fun for all, the ability and space to move around and see the beauty of Eriador.
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/5851/GxtQ5R.jpg

    Here, in this detailed, artistic map of Breeland we again see at the top left at the Breeland sign, above it and right below it is a large mountain chain barrier that blocks adventurers from exploring and trekking through this land. All that land should be passable and would make exploring and Eriador itself more fun. Such a wide long span of land that could be open to travel through and see more of the Breeland itself, the Brandywine river and many other things. I am not talking about a new questing area but simply allow this area to be passable so that there is more to see. It doesn't make sense and doesn't look good that the rest of Breeland is traversal and than there is this blank hole on the top left and corner of Breeland. The mountains there should be cut and removed so players can see more of the nature and beauty of Breeland.

    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8757/PpyuOU.jpg

    The same long mountain line barrier that I have been referring to this whole time in Breeland also comes up to Evenduim along the Brandywine river than stops at the path to the North Downs, stretches out along the fields of Fornost than comes back down to Trestlebridge and than back to Breeland. We see that is a lot of land that is held back from exploring. But it should be open. It is time to take a step in Lotro's Geography and Adventuring, and improve on it. So the idea is to withdraw all the tall hill/mountain barriers surrounding this significant amount of land and open it up to travel through. Players will have Freedom to move between regions more easily and enjoy the adventuring through this new, open, great land.
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3388/ZkmmD1.jpg

    A little to the right of the center of the map is Breeland. To the left of that is the Brandywine river. the area top of the great east road that goes to the shire and Bree is generally the area I'm talking about. There are no mountains placed there or anything that would hint that mountains do exist there. At least not the kind of Mountains we see in the Lotro Bree land region. How cool would it be to be able to pass and travel through all this land that has been obstructed by these blockades of Mountains?
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/599/cKFH6W.jpg

    What's strange is having and seeing mountains like this in the Misty Mountains in Breeland. There is, in fact one Mountain tall like this in the secluded barrier part in the North west side of Bree. Its weird having that there. So to sum up my thread and conclude; The impassable mountains to the northwest region of Breeland should be removed allowing players to adventure and enjoy the wonders of Breeland and the Brandywine river. It also gives more freedom to players to maneuver and travel through to other Eriador regions easily. It will improve the geographical view and give a better idea of how Breeland and Eriador actually looks. Instead of Breeland looking like a valley, give it the terrain it really needs. Starting with the North West section of Breeland along the Brandywine river up to Evenuim, east to the Northdowns, and back down south to Breeland again. Consider this please.
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/1172/4Mi9PL.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    21,134
    I have nothing against this, but I see no reason for it either. The way I see it, that area is designed to be a mountainest area.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,242
    I’d love to see this - the changes to Bree-land definitely opened it up, and this would be a huge area of explorable territory, to add to the area around the Brandy Hills (one of the best regions in the game for exploring). While I don’t think that this should be a priority for world builders, it would definitely make Eriador feel more cohesive as a whole - linking Trestlebridge’s west gate with Barad Tharsir and the Fields of Fornost in the north and the Brandy Hills to a south. This area could be full of old Arnorian hilltop fortresses (like Ost Baranor). This could potentially work well alongside a Far Downs zone that we might eventually get, linking Evendim, the Shire and Ered Luin.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

    Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,880
    Be nice to open this up if you look here you see large open space http://lotromap.net/terrainmap/google.html but then again the size of the area north-west of Bree-land is quiet large and they would need to add quest for it, cause whats the Point of going to a giant area with nothing to do? yes there are areas like Starmere lake with nothing to do (Except when scavenger hunt quest came) but that's a small area, and this is large and vast from what we see on the map.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.


    Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

  5. #5
    Yep, it doesn't make sense to leave this far and wide reaching, massive area closed off. Especially since its between dominant and key lands ( Breeland, Shire, North Downs, Evendim and the Brandywine River). These lands are beautiful and opening up this area, which is literally in between all these would allow more room to travel to each region, explore the river and add on to the Brandy and Bree hills, woods and ruins and civilization. And like you mentioned Tirian-Hammerfist, it does make Breeland and Eriador look and seem more as whole and connected with the terrain and regions around it. I believe its time they open this area up.

    And I do appreciate the map link and the reminder of the need for quest. The Map does strengthen the idea of removing the barriers surrounding it. And instead creating and editing this area to be filled with beauty and adventuring. Questing does indeed seem imperative for an area that large. Y'all can share your suggestions for questing. My idea and suggestion is they give this area the levels of the Barrow Downs and/or old forest and/or South Bree fields and/or Trestlebridge level with a village or two, one at the Brandywine river, the other somewhere else in the center of this area. Also laying out other camps and farms and houses along and throughout this land with smaller amounts of quests and Npcs. Giving fair amounts of quest for certain things. Whether killing something, finding someone, helping others, talking to someone, find this or that, etc. And work your way up through the area and the quest North to Trestlebridge. Races of Hobbits and Men Npcs, mostly men, not as many Hobbits, along with some Rangers, and the mobs common and known to that of other regions around this area. A stable master or two wouldn't hurt.

    Questing here could attract attention for many, especially for those who are bored of constantly questing in the Barrow Downs, Old Forest, Bree fields and using their alts to continually level in these areas. It could even be for higher levels who just want to come back and do the quest anyways, and enjoy the scenery, questing and new open area. Adding quest in this region will give more of a variety of questing and exploration for players leveling in Breeland. I know I would spend time with my low level alts leveling here. Also adding forts, hills, forests, farms, fields, rivers, ponds, a ranger camp and other things would give Breeland and Eriador itself a better look. Opening up this area would finish the look of Breeland, and looking at the map that Pontin_Finnberry gave the link to really does further the cause to get rid of these Mountain Barriers. This area of land would really fit in if it were filled with land marks, terrain like the lands around it, civilizations, questing and if allowed to adventure through.

    Anyone have suggestions for questing in these area?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddler View Post
    Yep, it doesn't make sense to leave this far and wide reaching, massive area closed off. Especially since its between dominant and key lands ( Breeland, Shire, North Downs, Evendim and the Brandywine River). These lands are beautiful and opening up this area, which is literally in between all these would allow more room to travel to each region, explore the river and add on to the Brandy and Bree hills, woods and ruins and civilization. And like you mentioned Tirian-Hammerfist, it does make Breeland and Eriador look and seem more as whole and connected with the terrain and regions around it. I believe its time they open this area up.

    And I do appreciate the map link and the reminder of the need for quest. The Map does strengthen the idea of removing the barriers surrounding it. And instead creating and editing this area to be filled with beauty and adventuring. Questing does indeed seem imperative for an area that large. Y'all can share your suggestions for questing. My idea and suggestion is they give this area the levels of the Barrow Downs and/or old forest and/or South Bree fields and/or Trestlebridge level with a village or two, one at the Brandywine river, the other somewhere else in the center of this area. Also laying out other camps and farms and houses along and throughout this land with smaller amounts of quests and Npcs. Giving fair amounts of quest for certain things. Whether killing something, finding someone, helping others, talking to someone, find this or that, etc. And work your way up through the area and the quest North to Trestlebridge. Races of Hobbits and Men Npcs, mostly men, not as many Hobbits, along with some Rangers, and the mobs common and known to that of other regions around this area. A stable master or two wouldn't hurt.

    Questing here could attract attention for many, especially for those who are bored of constantly questing in the Barrow Downs, Old Forest, Bree fields and using their alts to continually level in these areas. It could even be for higher levels who just want to come back and do the quest anyways, and enjoy the scenery, questing and new open area. Adding quest in this region will give more of a variety of questing and exploration for players leveling in Breeland. I know I would spend time with my low level alts leveling here. Also adding forts, hills, forests, farms, fields, rivers, ponds, a ranger camp and other things would give Breeland and Eriador itself a better look. Opening up this area would finish the look of Breeland, and looking at the map that Pontin_Finnberry gave the link to really does further the cause to get rid of these Mountain Barriers. This area of land would really fit in if it were filled with land marks, terrain like the lands around it, civilizations, questing and if allowed to adventure through.

    Anyone have suggestions for questing in these area?
    Abandoned, empty lands with many old Arnorian ruins would be perfect for some Ranger quests, in my opinion. Defending and maintaining these ruins (sort of similar to Annuminas), while also potentially researching their History (like was done in the North Downs).
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

    Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    156
    There are so many portions of landscape that we look at every so often and would love to flesh them out to bring more explorable landscape to the game world. But we also have to balance efforts like that with the production of the game landscape in support of our narrative goals and direction.

    We are a small team and are passionate about building this world - but we also want to make sure the spaces we build are reflective of the level of visual and gameplay fidelity we expect of ourselves. Just pulling down walls to open up the space does not meet our criteria for quality.

    I think each World Designer that is working (or has worked in the past) on LOTRO has little pet areas that we would individually jump at the chance to build out if we had the time - and support from our Content, Game Systems, Art and QA team members (who also have demands on their own time) - to make sure those spaces feel like rich and meaningful additions to the game.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    There are so many portions of landscape that we look at every so often and would love to flesh them out to bring more explorable landscape to the game world. But we also have to balance efforts like that with the production of the game landscape in support of our narrative goals and direction.

    We are a small team and are passionate about building this world - but we also want to make sure the spaces we build are reflective of the level of visual and gameplay fidelity we expect of ourselves. Just pulling down walls to open up the space does not meet our criteria for quality.

    I think each World Designer that is working (or has worked in the past) on LOTRO has little pet areas that we would individually jump at the chance to build out if we had the time - and support from our Content, Game Systems, Art and QA team members (who also have demands on their own time) - to make sure those spaces feel like rich and meaningful additions to the game.
    Out of interest, where’s your pet area? (In terms of places that you haven’t yet fleshed out)
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

    Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    Out of interest, where’s your pet area? (In terms of places that you haven’t yet fleshed out)
    The landscape between Needlehole and Ered Luin. It's always bugged me that Ered Luin is its own little unconnected island.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    The landscape between Needlehole and Ered Luin. It's always bugged me that Ered Luin is its own little unconnected island.
    I suspect you would generate legions of adoring fans if the Far Downs and Tower Hills were to eventually appear (or even if it was just a more temporary direct route between the two, with the rest being filled in later when we eventually head to the Grey Havens!
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

    Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    10,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    The landscape between Needlehole and Ered Luin. It's always bugged me that Ered Luin is its own little unconnected island.
    Maybe after we get a Scouring update you can add Grey Havens and Tower Hills in there.
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone / Landroval / Anor

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    The landscape between Needlehole and Ered Luin. It's always bugged me that Ered Luin is its own little unconnected island.
    I would be eternally grateful to see a zone finally realised to connect those two zones.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir


  13. #13
    The way i see it. Every time they build an area they need to cover it with some kind of quests. Designers need to creat some kind of quest line so the fill the area with something important. Even for a simply quest line they need to write a small stories and creat npcs details and deeds. Thats why lot of regions are very "roadish" which means you don't have flexibility to run arround in a wide open areas apart from the main roads/paths that protagonists are following.FEW expetions are the two rohan areas bree land and shire. Huge example about that system with the roads is the northern mirkwood and ered mithrin where you cann't walk north of felegoth inside the forest and reach the grey mountains. And dale lands are suppose to be open and wide like bree lands and rohan but instead they have fill them with cliffs in the sides.
    Argohald 120 Champion(main), Phokalin 120 Guardian, Helectra 105 Warden Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana 105 Lore master, Ellinas 100 Guardian, Armonia 65 Captain in Landroval

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    299
    As an explorer at heart, I love places that have no purpose in quests or deeds, but are allowed to simply exist. Breeland has the most and most expansive areas of this kind like Far Chetwood, Starmere lake and most of Nen Harn (before it got revamped with its own quest hub and more pointers to this area). On the other hand I also have to admit that I am not revisiting these places as much as the work the devs had to put in for its creation deserves.

    Still, more connections between different zones would be sweet.
    My favourite would be the pass from the Great River Zone to northern Wildermore (it even gets mentioned in a quest in Wildermore). During the development there were NPC working on building a bridge over the Limlight River but they got killed off and the passage is blocked to this day by an invisible wall.
    Second is definitely the lands behind the closed western gate in Trestlebridge. Where does the road lead (except for the Brandywine River of course)? Are there still other smaller settlements or just wilderness and ruins reclaimed by nature?
    New Order, maggots: Eat more carrots! The Dark Lord isn't pleased that none of you can see further than the end of your sword.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by West-northwestook View Post
    My favourite would be the pass from the Great River Zone to northern Wildermore (it even gets mentioned in a quest in Wildermore).

    Then you gonna love my suggestion almost a year ago which get no interest/feedback from anyone yet :P

    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ght=wildermore
    Argohald 120 Champion(main), Phokalin 120 Guardian, Helectra 105 Warden Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana 105 Lore master, Ellinas 100 Guardian, Armonia 65 Captain in Landroval

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload