We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Wine Clients Runs the Fans Constantly

I like the Wine client, but I've had a few problems. Most consistently are the system fans spinning constantly while running the client.

I contrast this with the dual boot client where the fans almost never run. Does anyone have suggestions to reduce this?

I'm running a Retina 5k 27" iMac - 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB Ram - Radeon Pro 580 8 GB - Mac OS Mojave (10.14.4)
    Fasgund (117 Minstrel) - Velduin (77 Rune Keeper) - Olegar (71 Hunter) • Crickhollow

2017 iMac (Retina 5k -- 27") - 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB Ram - Radeon Pro 580 8 GB - Mac OS Mojave (10.14.4)

Hi,

I like the new wine client too and seems to work (I'll whisper this, better than the native mac OS client) .... !

Currently running it in windowed configuration, but no fans running for me so far - or only occasionally. However i do have one of the old mac pro towers so heat may be better dissipated on my machine than yours, just a hunch.

You may want to take a peek at this post here, as the Devs are snooping around and it would be good to report your issues there as well.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...inux-Too/page6

Hope you get it sorted and glad you like the new OS, seems pretty stable so far and .... fingers crossed no crashes or massive stuttering so far.
    Irulian Fairmeadow - Elven Rune Keeper
    "When the battle goes ill and the sky darkens - look for the healer, for I will come to your aid - that is my pledge"

The fans have always run for me when I have graphics set to high. I haven't tried the Windows client on Bootcamp, so I don't know if it does the same.

(Wine client runs better for me than native too ;-) )
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

Quote Originally Posted by zeroxes View Post
    I like the Wine client, but I've had a few problems. Most consistently are the system fans spinning constantly while running the client.

I contrast this with the dual boot client where the fans almost never run. Does anyone have suggestions to reduce this?

I'm running a Retina 5k 27" iMac - 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB Ram - Radeon Pro 580 8 GB - Mac OS Mojave (10.14.4)
    Do they start straight away, or is it a few minutes before they spin up?

It might be the client is using more cpu power than expected and heating it up enough to trigger the fans - I am assuming it is the cpu/system fans and not the gfx card fans??

I dont play with macs, but if you can, I would check for fluff in the cpu heatsink (assuming as above).

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post

I dont play with macs, but...
    It's not as if you can just crack open an iMac retina..
    0096 2251 2110 8105

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    The fans have always run for me when I have graphics set to high. I haven't tried the Windows client on Bootcamp, so I don't know if it does the same.

(Wine client runs better for me than native too ;-) )
    I will try reducing the graphics a bit more. Part of the appeal in keeping them higher for me is that I run them high on Windows no problem. I'm pretty sure I just set it to Ultra High in dual boot, make a few minor adjustments in the settings, and it runs great. If I could do that Mac side and get rid of the Windows partition, I'd be a happy camper.

The only other problem is running Full Screen does freeze the Wine client. Things are pretty safe in Windowed mode though, so I could get used to it.
    Fasgund (117 Minstrel) - Velduin (77 Rune Keeper) - Olegar (71 Hunter) • Crickhollow

2017 iMac (Retina 5k -- 27") - 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB Ram - Radeon Pro 580 8 GB - Mac OS Mojave (10.14.4)

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgaard View Post
    It's not as if you can just crack open an iMac retina..
    I've got a lumber axe you could borrow??

Seriously, there has to be some way to get at and clean the cpu fan/cpu fan pathway, even if it is pipe cleaners or a gun brush with a wet wipe wrapped around it.

Do they start straight away, or is it a few minutes before they spin up?

It might be the client is using more cpu power than expected and heating it up enough to trigger the fans - I am assuming it is the cpu/system fans and not the gfx card fans??

I dont play with macs, but if you can, I would check for fluff in the cpu heatsink (assuming as above).
    They start immediately upon entering the client. Even on the login screen I can hear the fans spinning up before entering the game. If I tab out of the game into a different app, the fans spin down, even though it's still running in the background. I thought I had read that other players were having the fan problems, too. I don't have any way of accessing the fans in my iMac really unless I pushed air into it. The computer is only a year old though, and as I said, I can run the client in Windows with almost no fan noise.

They start immediately upon entering the client. Even on the login screen I can hear the fans spinning up before entering the game. If I tab out of the game into a different app, the fans spin down, even though it's still running in the background. I thought I had read that other players were having the fan problems, too. I don't have any way of accessing the fans in my iMac really unless I pushed air into it. The computer is only a year old though, and as I said, I can run the client in Windows with almost no fan noise.
    Could it be the Wine client has a bad driver for the gfx, and it is pushing the gfx card to run max fan?

I will try reducing the graphics a bit more. Part of the appeal in keeping them higher for me is that I run them high on Windows no problem. I'm pretty sure I just set it to Ultra High in dual boot, make a few minor adjustments in the settings, and it runs great. If I could do that Mac side and get rid of the Windows partition, I'd be a happy camper.
    I don't expect to ever get rid of my Windows partition. Mac just doesn't have a lot of game support.

Given a choice of high graphics and fan, I generally choose fan. In theory, this could shorten the life of the computer, but my experience with my Macs is that they're tanks -- I don't think I've ever had to replace one for any other reason than obsolescence. So hitting the CPU hard enough to run the fan hasn't had any effect as far as I can tell.

The only other problem is running Full Screen does freeze the Wine client. Things are pretty safe in Windowed mode though, so I could get used to it.
    I have some theories on this. I've switched to full screen windowed too, and I THINK the freeze effect is because some error popups aren't being handled properly in fullscreen. I don't know if this is something SSG can do anything about.
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

Could it be the Wine client has a bad driver for the gfx, and it is pushing the gfx card to run max fan?
    I should have added, I had this issue with WINE on Linux when I was playing with it a couple of years ago; the gfx driver in WINE made the RX470 fans go into Turbo mode all the time, even though the card was only showing 2-3% use and 30C.

I should have added, I had this issue with WINE on Linux when I was playing with it a couple of years ago; the gfx driver in WINE made the RX470 fans go into Turbo mode all the time, even though the card was only showing 2-3% use and 30C.
    Oh that's interesting. Perhaps this could be pursued with the Wine team.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    Oh that's interesting. Perhaps this could be pursued with the Wine team.
    I cant remember exactly what was happening, if it was a fan speed bug or just triggering the MSI fan controller into "Frosty" mode; unfortunately, I developed Trigeminal Neuralgia around that time, and the meds messed with my head so much, I dont remember much of the next 2 years; and I abandoned playing with Linux as I couldnt think straight long enough to cope with it.

Hence originally asking if it was the cpu or gfx fans winding up.

The native client always used 100% CPU for me anyway, which made the fans spin up. So no real difference in that regard.