We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Place Banner with Just Keyboard Shortcut?

Hi All,

I'm returning to the game after an absence of a few years, and one thing I've noticed is that when I go to place a banner it makes me mouse over and select where I want to place it. As I am just soloing currently (only level 85) I naturally want it just at my feet, and would prefer not to have to use the mouse to place it.

Is there some trick or shortcut I can use so that it just places the banner down right where I am standing?

Thanks in advance,
    Tzviden

Quote Originally Posted by Tzviden View Post
    Hi All,

I'm returning to the game after an absence of a few years, and one thing I've noticed is that when I go to place a banner it makes me mouse over and select where I want to place it. As I am just soloing currently (only level 85) I naturally want it just at my feet, and would prefer not to have to use the mouse to place it.

Is there some trick or shortcut I can use so that it just places the banner down right where I am standing?

Thanks in advance,
    Tzviden
    If you have all five points trailed in the banner, you get a targeting template to choose where it will be placed. Personally I only trait 4/5 points in the banner. That way it lands on whatever mob you are currently targeting, which is much quicker. You still get the maximum buff (e.g. +30% damage) with 4/5 points. The fifth point only adds the ground targeting element, which is a bit of a waste of a trait point in my opinion. I would reset your trait points and spend the spare point somewhere else.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    If you have all five points trailed in the banner, you get a targeting template to choose where it will be placed. Personally I only trait 4/5 points in the banner. That way it lands on whatever mob you are currently targeting, which is much quicker. You still get the maximum buff (e.g. +30% damage) with 4/5 points. The fifth point only adds the ground targeting element, which is a bit of a waste of a trait point in my opinion. I would reset your trait points and spend the spare point somewhere else.
    Thank you very much for that information. I think I shall respec and avoid that 5th point in the banner.

Thank you very much for that information. I think I shall respec and avoid that 5th point in the banner.
    You’re welcome

On another point, I found the ground target more useful in blue when deploying the healing banner in a group, but don’t bother with it for the red banner.

I would reset your trait points and spend the spare point somewhere else.
    This is a TERRIBLE idea if you do group content. The ground targeted ability is important as you can place it on the high damage dealers: The hunters and RKs. You can easily camera flip and (if you have the banner on your toolbar) toss it with a double tap of the skill. For instance, my captain banner is on Alt+3, so when I need to place the banner on the hunters, I flip and double tap Alt+3, and the banner drops without a skip of a beat. Having the banner not a ground target forces your fellowship to be in close proximity to the bosses and mobs, which is not ideal in most fights.
    Death's Bane | Arkenstone | Endgame
    Mirage | Arkenstone | 75 Capped
    Mirage | Anor
    Meneldor Native

Quote Originally Posted by Rimenuir View Post
    This is a TERRIBLE idea if you do group content. The ground targeted ability is important as you can place it on the high damage dealers: The hunters and RKs. You can easily camera flip and (if you have the banner on your toolbar) toss it with a double tap of the skill. For instance, my captain banner is on Alt+3, so when I need to place the banner on the hunters, I flip and double tap Alt+3, and the banner drops without a skip of a beat. Having the banner not a ground target forces your fellowship to be in close proximity to the bosses and mobs, which is not ideal in most fights.
    Agreed, red captains who drop the banner on top of themselves instead of on top of where the ranged DPS is standing are an abomination. If someone were to do this in any good group, they would either be told to retrait (this rarely happens btw because many players would just rather invite someone who is already an expert on the class) or they'd get laughed at then get offended or they'd never get invited again.

On another point, I found the ground target more useful in blue when deploying the healing banner in a group, but don’t bother with it for the red banner.
    This man is clearly one such captain.

Ignoring the ad-hominem sniping (valid though some of it is), ability to target an FS member and place banner on them as a skill very much signed.
    The only self-targeted banner I use is yellow when tanking.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    Ignoring the ad-hominem sniping (valid though some of it is), ability to target an FS member and place banner on them as a skill very much signed.
    As tank you throw the dmg Banner too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    As tank you throw the dmg Banner too.
    That's exactly what I said.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

That's exactly what I said.
    this is what you said, this doesn´t sound like the outgoing dmg banner out of the redline for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    this is what you said, this doesn´t sound like the outgoing dmg banner out of the redline for me.
    The yellow banner is the only one that doesn't need to be targeted. If I'm tanking and red banner is required, I will make sure to take all 5 points to make it targetable.

What I want is an easy way of placing the red banner, such as being able to target it on a fellowship member.

Clear now?

Quote Originally Posted by xxSniperxx View Post
    Agreed, red captains who drop the banner on top of themselves instead of on top of where the ranged DPS is standing are an abomination. If someone were to do this in any good group, they would either be told to retrait (this rarely happens btw because many players would just rather invite someone who is already an expert on the class) or they'd get laughed at then get offended or they'd never get invited again.

This man is clearly one such captain.

I dont give a F about ranged DPS,if they want banner they will walk into melee range as most of the fights dont require you to be 40m away from boss,its just lazyness

As I am just soloing currently (only level 85) I naturally want it just at my feet, and would prefer not to have to use the mouse to place it.
    Stay polite, that was the question the Threadopener asked.
    and the answer is right.

btw, do not use the blue banner - save that points to something that has a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Osglinthor View Post
    I dont give a F about ranged DPS,if they want banner they will walk into melee range as most of the fights dont require you to be 40m away from boss,its just lazyness
    That let me smile :-)

The yellow banner is the only one that doesn't need to be targeted. If I'm tanking and red banner is required, I will make sure to take all 5 points to make it targetable.

What I want is an easy way of placing the red banner, such as being able to target it on a fellowship member.

Clear now?
    jep. but targeting a member wouldn´t be as effecient as ground targeting., with ground you can pklace it in the middle. that the range can stan on 20m range and the melee are inside too.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubgaenger View Post
    Stay polite, that was the question the Threadopener asked.
    and the answer is right.
    No, the answer wasn't correct. Captain by definition is a group oriented class, unless if you want to just buff the damage of the weakest melee DPS class in the game because you're always solo, WHICH I DOUBT IS THE CASE.

Therefore you must always use ground targetted banner, even when solo unless if you just want to spend coins retraiting every time you are solo and not solo, or better yet, have 2 separate trait trees (one with ground targetted banner and one without due to sheer incompetence).

Quote Originally Posted by xxSniperxx View Post
    No, the answer wasn't correct. Captain by definition is a group oriented class, unless if you want to just buff the damage of the weakest melee DPS class in the game because you're always solo, WHICH I DOUBT IS THE CASE.

Therefore you must always use ground targetted banner, even when solo unless if you just want to spend coins retraiting every time you are solo and not solo, or better yet, have 2 separate trait trees (one with ground targetted banner and one without due to sheer incompetence).
    two traittress on a captain. Hard to imagine. it´s more 4-5 or even more.

Wow, I’ve been called a few things in my life, but “abomination” is a new one! To be fair, most names I’ve been called only have four letters, so this is quite an intelligent (if mean) insult... ah well, sticks and stones

Anyway, as Laubgenger pointed out (thanks), the OP was talking about soloing, for which the ground targeted red banner isn’t necessary, as you only have yourself to worry about. It is also faster to do without it, which was the other part of the initial request.

I don’t raid at this point, as I am not at cap. I may well use the ground target later on in a group, but when you have less than the full points to spend, and would rather use them to increase your damage, I don’t think it is that important, as long as you are careful where you put it.

Sniper, I’m not easily offended, as you’ve probably guessed, so if I’m ever in your group, I’ll be sure to re-trait

Wow, I’ve been called a few things in my life, but “abomination” is a new one! To be fair, most names I’ve been called only have four letters, so this is quite an intelligent (if mean) insult... ah well, sticks and stones

Anyway, as Laubgenger pointed out (thanks), the OP was talking about soloing, for which the ground targeted red banner isn’t necessary, as you only have yourself to worry about. It is also faster to do without it, which was the other part of the initial request.

I don’t raid at this point, as I am not at cap. I may well use the ground target later on in a group, but when you have less than the full points to spend, and would rather use them to increase your damage, I don’t think it is that important, as long as you are careful where you put it.

Sniper, I’m not easily offended, as you’ve probably guessed, so if I’m ever in your group, I’ll be sure to re-trait
    And he got all the informations he wanted, trait 4 of 5 points. And even some more for later if he want to play group.

Wow, didn't mean to start a whole argument among my fellow captains.

Yes, at this time I am only soloing as I level, so there are no hunters for me to place the banner at the feet of, save for my archer herald.

When I get into group content I imagine I will have to retrait myself anyway as I can see myself enjoying the yellow line in group play.