We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Getting into Essences at 100

Not a typical LM essences question, so a bit of background first:

I've been maining my LM since 2012, leveling slowly ever since (with experience-disabler) and treating each past level cap as "endgame" : parking it at 60, 65, 75, 85, and fully gearing with best-in-slot stuff, maxed FA LIs, and extensively doing group content on-level.

Now seven years later, I'm finally nearing level 100 and want to give it the full "endgame" treatment, investing my time and effort into gear as I've done in the past.
    I'm about to encounter essence gear for the first time, and the dilemmas of stat distribution they introduce.

My question to the "essence veteran" LMs:

What approaches did you take to build a balanced essence set at 100? (Notice I mention approaches and not just asking about "best" builds since there's so much individual variety with essences - any general thoughts on how you translate your playstyle into essence-slotting will be most helpful! I'm interested most of all in building a balanced set of stats: NOT a glass cannon but suitably sturdy enough to live through extended fights in support mode, and do group content on level.)

Used to be a "rainbow LM" before trait trees (3 red, 2 yellow, 2 blue), looking forward to the stat versatility of essences but my biggest concern is "how much is too much and how much of what is not enough" - any tips on how to watch for diminishing returns, what to avoid stacking, etc, are most appreciated!

p.s. For the record: all my virtues are fully maxed - so my mitigations are taken care of (or are they?)
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

looks like you can do some of the maths with the info from this page:

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Rat...rating_.28P.29

Using something like Matlab and the values from the table, you can generate graphs for lvl 100 similar to those shown for 120. I don't have time today (exam soon), but let me know if you'd like me to put something together tomorrow.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
    -Faramir

Here is some info for level 100:

Finesse:

Mits:

Mastery:

Crit:

I don't know how to recommend an optimization scheme with level 100 essences. I didn't play at cap then. At current cap, Loremasters want capped mits (overcapped for t2/t3), 40% finesse, and morale. Mastery and crit are not important for our role in groups, but you might want some swap gear to make landscape, etc. faster.

Hopefully these plots show some idea of what #s to aim for to make a balanced build with the available essences/slots.

You might be able to get away with less finesse, but probably want at least 30%. Check for resists to Lore skills, Blinding Flash, etc.

Edit: note that these assume player/monster levels of 100.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
    -Faramir

Quote Originally Posted by Herwegur View Post
    ... extensively doing group content on-level.

My question to the "essence veteran" LMs:

What approaches did you take to build a balanced essence set at 100? (Notice I mention approaches and not just asking about "best" builds since there's so much individual variety with essences - any general thoughts on how you translate your playstyle into essence-slotting will be most helpful! I'm interested most of all in building a balanced set of stats: NOT a glass cannon but suitably sturdy enough to live through extended fights in support mode, and do group content on level.)

Used to be a "rainbow LM" before trait trees (3 red, 2 yellow, 2 blue), looking forward to the stat versatility of essences but my biggest concern is "how much is too much and how much of what is not enough" - any tips on how to watch for diminishing returns, what to avoid stacking, etc, are most appreciated!

p.s. For the record: all my virtues are fully maxed - so my mitigations are taken care of (or are they?)

A few things:

If you are doing group content, then even in old times it should be at least 5 yellow traits. +30s duration to lores and S.o.P.s was very important.

For the group content, in old times of lvl 100, you wanted to have ca 10% finesse if you have resistance reduction legacy on LI or, otherwise 20%. Morale was around 20k I believe. Maxed takt. and phys reductions - virtues aren´t enough. Mostlikely no need for tactical, but pretty sure for physical. And after that you go for crit and tactical mastery.

For solo content, you can weaken you defencies (morale pool and reductions) and go for more crit and tact. mastery.

Also, please bear in mind that I played on lvl 100 before the stat changes. It is fully possible, that there are now fully different values.

If we take current situation on the endgame and it should mirror the situation on lvl 100: With the first gear iteration (I mean, you won´t have the best one to start with), it is good to get close to caps but not too much, the last percentages require high numbers, therefore I would start with reductions around 36-36%. It is enough to have around 25-30% finesse (TG t3 requires 35-40%, but there is no t3 currently on lvl 100 and the newest raid t3 doesn´t have as crazy resistance as TG t3).

It is difficult to predict the correct morale pool, no idea there.

If you are going in direction of more damage, then 20% crit is easy to achieve, but the last 5% require a lot (from the picture above the crit cap is by 30 000 and you get 20% by 20 000).

To the dimishing returns: as generale rule - it is easy to achieve 2/3 of the cap and then it slows down. In numbers of lvl 120 cap: crit has cap 225 000 and you get 20% on 150 000. Thus for last 5% you need 75 000. Mastery has cap on ca 303 000 and by 202 000 you have already ca 160%. And then for the last 40% you need another 101 000.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik.
    English isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes.

Slightly off topic but relevant is the impact of the imbued LI at 100. If you put in the starlits and SoEs then you effectively have a level 120 weapon at 100. Having an 800+ tactical damage rating and huge legacy percentages skews the entire build and play environment at 100-105. What I don’t know are the expectations of groups at that level as to having maxed out your LI or not. A few months ago I finally leveled my guardian through the non-linear transition of imbuement at 100 and since he was an alt I was able to add starlits though not many SoEs. The content became trivially easy for quite a few levels.