We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Captain in Rohan

So, im 93 lvl captain and 88 lvl mobs are killing me.

They deal to me +- 1000 damage every attack, while im dealing +- 500. Two mobs 88 lvl are nerly killing me, a blue captain 93 lvl. So i have a question, what happened while i haven't played lotro? Is it normal what happening to my face?
    I know that halberd's out of date, but it's not because of it.

In my opinion you have chosen the worst trait line combination for solo play. Blue is healing line yes but more to heal othesr than the captain itself. Heals from revealing mark are from damage you do but considering you traited blue with yellow and not red your damage is nowhere near enough to keep you alive. You are better off going red with noble mark from yellow or even yellow line with some red, if you are still struggling.
    Captain-General Narthrivor r15 Hunter - r12 Warden - r12 Champion - r7 Captain - r6 Guardian - Phoenix Legion and Innocent raid alliance - Laurelin EN-RP

Quote Originally Posted by RicoFTW View Post
    In my opinion you have chosen the worst trait line combination for solo play. Blue is healing line yes but more to heal othesr than the captain itself. Heals from revealing mark are from damage you do but considering you traited blue with yellow and not red your damage is nowhere near enough to keep you alive. You are better off going red with noble mark from yellow or even yellow line with some red, if you are still struggling.
    Agreed on that. Blue isn’t good for soloing. I go red with some yellow and some blue:

You’ll do a ton more damage in red and should kill things pretty quickly. I use red mark against normal mobs and blue if facing several at once, or tougher brutes.

Weapon-wise, your LI would be better at least at level 86, as there’s a massive jump from 85-86. As it is, it doesn’t have great legacies on it. You’re better off maxing the bleed damage, and ignoring BoE. Also there’s no point in increasing your block rating when you aren’t using a shield. Go for offence rather than defence, and vitality over morale. I tend to try and go for cutting attack, grave wound and bleed damage, with an emblem that increases bleed pulses. Then any other legacies, but especially any other attacking skills. And get yourself a title for your weapon that changes the damage type. Beleriand is usually the safest bet, but anything is better than common because lots of mobs have common damage resistances. The vendors outside Snowbourn mead hall have a good selection to choose from.

How about your virtues? It’s usually best to layer up those that give you defensive stats like resistance rating, rather than main stats.

Finally, you haven’t said what other gear you are wearing. Get a decent set of crafted armour at least and keep your jewellery up to date. A lot of gear stats have changed e.g. Mathom-Hunters’ armour is terrible now. This will make a big difference.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; May 04 2019 at 04:12 PM.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Agreed on that. Blue isn’t good for soloing. I go red with some yellow and some blue:

You’ll do a ton more damage in red and should kill things pretty quickly. I use red mark against normal mobs and blue if facing several at once, or tougher brutes.

Weapon-wise, your LI would be better at least at level 86, as there’s a massive jump from 85-86. As it is, it doesn’t have great legacies on it. You’re better off maxing the bleed damage, and ignoring BoE. Also there’s no point in increasing your block rating when you aren’t using a shield. Go for offence rather than defence, and vitality over morale. I tend to try and go for cutting attack, grave wound and bleed damage, with an emblem that increases bleed pulses. Then any other legacies, but especially any other attacking skills. And get yourself a title for your weapon that changes the damage type. Beleriand is usually the safest bet, but anything is better than common because lots of mobs have common damage resistances. The vendors outside Snowbourn mead hall have a good selection to choose from.

How about your virtues? It’s usually best to layer up those that give you defensive stats like resistance rating, rather than main stats.

Finally, you haven’t said what other gear you are wearing. Get a decent set of crafted armour at least and keep your jewellery up to date. A lot of gear stats have changed e.g. Mathom-Hunters’ armour is terrible now. This will make a big difference.
    I always played with red, but when i returned to game for some reasons i have no chances to simply do quests, so i changed it to blue (on lvl 88), it give me small opportunity to enjoy the game. Ill try your class talents.
    About weapon, ok, i understand.
    About virtues:

About gear. One player crafted me the best full set at lvl 85 (i was lvl 86), and it was a little bit worse than the usual gear from quests. So... Also im choosing gear with finesse, because when i returned to game all mobs in Rohan just parried all my attack, it was hilariously and frightfully at the same time

The problem is, in moria, in mirkwood i just played, used gear from quests, kill mobs and etc and there was no problems. And now what happened happened.

And english not my native language, sorry for mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post

You should have penetrating cry traited as cappy is one of the slowest classes attacks wise in the game, if not the most slow. Also having points in rez seems to be a waste if you are playing alone.
    Captain-General Narthrivor r15 Hunter - r12 Warden - r12 Champion - r7 Captain - r6 Guardian - Phoenix Legion and Innocent raid alliance - Laurelin EN-RP

Quote Originally Posted by RicoFTW View Post
    You should have penetrating cry traited as cappy is one of the slowest classes attacks wise in the game, if not the most slow. Also having points in rez seems to be a waste if you are playing alone.
    Thanks - yeah I know, I am going to spend the next few points on penetrating cry. I play a mix of solo and group and can’t be bothered resetting the traits every time I switch.

Unzu - my virtues are all between 10-13 at the moment. I went back a while ago and completed a bunch of deeds in the earlier zones to bump them up a bit. I can’t remember all the names that I have equipped as I’m not online, but I know I have charity (the one at the top with the two hands) and I don’t have the one with the orc face that you have equipped with 6 points. You get more for your points with resistance rating and mitigations, and they’ll stop you taking so much damage.

Again, with your armour, everything needs upgrading after level 85 because of the 85-86 jump. To give an idea, apparently you get better DPS on a standard level 86 third age weapon than on a maxed out level 85 first age, or something silly like that. I was getting clobbered around Underharrow and had to craft a level 90 set of armour to be competitive. Usually the “command/commanding” variant of whatever the crafted armour is works well for me.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Mostly what others have said, but my 2 cents:

1. Captain dps is not great, and survivability is not awesome outside of yellow line. Either trait red or yellow for soloing, but stay away from blue if you’re struggling. Yellow is as slow or slower than blue but has a noticeable increase in survivability.

2. There is a large bump in stats from 85 to 86, and it’s felt hard particularly on your weapons dps. Either slog through to level 95 or get yourself a level 90 3rd age from a forge master. This alone will help tremendously. It doesn’t have to be a great weapon, the increase in raw dps alone is worth ditching your 85 one.

What you’re experiencing is not unique to a Captain per se; I had a really hard time from 85-90 on my guardian as well. The itemization and stat bump is just rough at those levels and captains don’t do well with it.

Definatly avoid blue line except maybe if you are in a group that needs a healer. A captain can make a decent healer in t1 instances. You should either go Red line for the DPS boost or Yellow. In yellow you should survive but the fights can be a bit boring because your DPS will not be great.

Thanks for the tips about traiting yellow. It slow as heck to kill things, but at least I am surviving the encounters.

You could try using a two handed weapon for better DPS but you will loose the shield so its swings and roundabouts.

I have two setups for my captain two hand sword for easier npcs and sword and shield for the tougher NPSc and bosses.