We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

An Update Error Occurred: Error Generating Hash Code for Patch File [ISSUE RESOLVED]

I seem to be having a different launcher issue than other people that have been posting about the launcher being busted.
    This is a brand new issue that just started happening this morning.

Mine simply says "An Update Error Occurred: There was an error generating the hash code for a patch file

I'm posting this just in case this helps the SSG team determine what the current problem is with the launcher.

Edit:

THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED BY SWITCHING TO CLOUDFLARE DNS
    Last edited by Xanovaria; May 02 2019 at 05:11 PM.

I'm getting that same error message too.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Hmm. I just tried to log in. I did not get patch server errors. I've not yet put in the username and password. Done that, and no trouble logging in, yet. Now in, no trouble. Hmm, wonder what's going on.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    Hmm. I just tried to log in. I did not get patch server errors. I've not yet put in the username and password. Done that, and no trouble logging in, yet. Now in, no trouble. Hmm, wonder what's going on.

Aye; this problem seems to be only some people and not others. It also happens right after opening the client when it tries to patch, before you even get the chance to enter your login credentials.

Thanks for the replies guys; it helps to see how many people this problem does/n't affect.

The domain is back up for me, but some people are still reporting it down, so DNS issue??

Flush DNS cache or try switching to OpenDNS, which is what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    The domain is back up for me, but some people are still reporting it down, so DNS issue??

Flush DNS cache or try switching to OpenDNS, which is what I use.

I'm using Google DNS, i'll try a different one - thanks for the tip

EDIT: I've tried Google DNS, OpenDNS, and CiscoDNS - all flushed and passed the DNS resolve test @ dnsleaktest.com

It is very odd that the fault is supposedly failing to generate a hashcode. I might understand if it was failing an MD5 checksum or something where the wrong hash was entered in error, but instead it is failing to generate a hashcode at all - which sounds like it should be client-sided. Very odd.
    Last edited by Xanovaria; May 02 2019 at 04:20 PM.

Crashes for me after I log in and select a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanovaria View Post
    Aye; this problem seems to be only some people and not others.
    Simplified explanation: The SSG Fix for this issue was to point a certain *.lotro.com host (I don't know which) to a different server with a different IP address. In order for the world to know that something.lotro.com is now this here new IP address, they make a DNS update with the provider that has the registration and/or DNS entry for their lotro.com domain. When you make such a change, the DNS server associated with lotro.com needs to communicate this change to ALL DNS servers around the world, starting upstream to the root servers, and then downstream to the DNS servers of ISP's and/or public DNS servers.

The reason that it works for some, and not for others.... is that the DNS server the people use for whom it works, has updated itself with new entries already, and the DNS server the people use for whom it does NOT work has not yet been updated. In theory, this can take up to 24 hours, but typically in all western nations its a few hours at most.

Typically, most people use the DNS server that their ISP provides to their cable modem or dsl modem, etc.... but you do have the option to use a public DNS server. The servers from Google (8.8.8.8) and Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) typically update any new DNS entry within 15 to 30 minutes, often even faster than that. Some ISP issued DNS servers might be slower.

If it doesn't work yet, and you don't really know what to do with the above information, the simplest way to flush the DNS cache is to reboot the computer, and try again. If it doesn't work, come back in an hour or so and try again.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    The reason that it works for some, and not for others.... is that the DNS server the people use for whom it works, has updated itself with new entries already, and the DNS server the people use for whom it does NOT work has not yet been updated. In theory, this can take up to 24 hours, but typically in all western nations its a few hours at most.

Thanks for the reply mate -

A plea for anyone who can actually login right now that uses a public DNS: Can you please post which public DNS server you are using?
    Minstrel: Brightli -- Champ: Greatli -- RK: Wrecktem

Quote Originally Posted by Xanovaria View Post
    A plea for anyone who can actually login right now that uses a public DNS: Can you please post which public DNS server you are using?
    I use cloudflare: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

I can log on without issues.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

After I log in with my username and password and select my server, an error appears saying "can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to writ to them". I'm worried that I broke something when I tried to use the launcher repair thing and then closed it, so anyone else has this issue?

I don't even know what using a public DNS means. Until 30 minutes ago I didn't know how to ipconfig /flushdns (which I did). Nor should I have to.

Turbine/SSG pulled this type of stunt like 5 or 6 years ago when they somehow forgot to renew their domain whats-it/whatevers, and the game was down all weekend.

Someone at SSG needs to set up reminders in Google calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    I use cloudflare: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

I can log on without issues.

THIS WORKS - I switched to cloudflareDNS and it is working fine now - thank you very much sir
    Last edited by Xanovaria; May 02 2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Minstrel: Brightli -- Champ: Greatli -- RK: Wrecktem

Not resolved with Cloudflare DNS for me. Shame on me for wasting time with mucking up my internet settings for SSG's sophomoric mistake of failing to renew their licenses or whatnot.
    I don't complain about this game or the company. But this type of #### has happened before and seems to my uninformed mind to be "Running an MMO 101".

It's defenitelly more then "a few hours" and I still have the problem.

I'm also one of those who can't log into lotro client.

I uninstalled lotro and tried the Steam way, but nope.

When I tried to do the LOTRO.com version of the client install, I get this error: "Error. Page cannot be displayed. Please contact your service provider for more details. (20)"

I've never seen an ISP issue that before.

Was having this problem right up until just now, switched from my local DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 (Google) and it immediately began working. I am based in the UK so I guess geographically this is just taking a looong to propagate to globally accessible DNS servers.

Go into your network adapter's IPv4 properties and amend the DNS so it is fixed to 8.8.8.8 and it should work, after you do this you may need to run a cmd prompt and do ipconfig /flushdns
    #15skills