We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lock up after lock up

I’m really getting tired of the game causing my computer to lock up. To the point I have to hard boot it just to get the computer operational again.

I have run virus scans, malware scans, clearing my cache. It still locks up my computer like it never had before!!

I can play all kinds of other games, surf the Internet and facebook for hours with no problems. Yet one day I could not even get the game to load. I would sign in, the page would open up like the game was starting then it would close the window and never start playing. Right now I’m lucky if I can play for 30 minutes in the actual game before it completely freezes and it locks up my computer! Hard reboots are not good!!!

I have been told that other players are having freeze problems also.

This is so frustrating considering I am only able to play for about 4 hours.
    I need my LotRO fix!!

What’s the deal???
    Corn Is Lore appropiate!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ariwen55 View Post
    I’m really getting tired of the game causing my computer to lock up. To the point I have to hard boot it just to get the computer operational again.

I have run virus scans, malware scans, clearing my cache. It still locks up my computer like it never had before!!

I can play all kinds of other games, surf the Internet and facebook for hours with no problems. Yet one day I could not even get the game to load. I would sign in, the page would open up like the game was starting then it would close the window and never start playing. Right now I’m lucky if I can play for 30 minutes in the actual game before it completely freezes and it locks up my computer! Hard reboots are not good!!!

I have been told that other players are having freeze problems also.

This is so frustrating considering I am only able to play for about 4 hours.
    I need my LotRO fix!!

What’s the deal???
    LOTRO might heat up your CPU more than other games. Have you looked at your CPU temperature to see if it's marginal? May need to clean the heat sink or put some new heat transfer paste on it.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    LOTRO might heat up your CPU more than other games. Have you looked at your CPU temperature to see if it's marginal? May need to clean the heat sink or put some new heat transfer paste on it.
    REALLY?????

So do other games!

So what has changed in the past couple of weeks the the ONLY game that overheats the CPU is LotRO?

Really hate being talked down to like I know nothing about computers.
    Been building then for as long as LotRO had been playing 12+ years.

And I am not the only person having this problem.

Edit: this computer gets cleaned regularly to remove dust and dirt.
    Edit 2: talking to other players who also have windows 10 seem to be having same problems. As Groot says the movie *light bulb* windows 10 just had an update. So what change in the update that effected our gaming?
    Last edited by Ariwen55; May 27 2019 at 10:09 PM.

Wow, what a reply.

Someone has offered assistance and you come back at them with a CAPSLOCK reply and then accuse them of talking down to you.

Nothing in their reply remotely gives the impression of talking down to you. How would they know your experience in regards to building computers?

Do you expect anyone else to offer assistance after that?

Good grief...
    Guild: Southern Cross (NZ/Aussie) - Want to join? Look me up.
    Characters: Quilthanos - Axzis - Rilt
    Server: Arkenstone

REALLY?????

So do other games!

So what has changed in the past couple of weeks the the ONLY game that overheats the CPU is LotRO?

Really hate being talked down to like I know nothing about computers.
    Been building then for as long as LotRO had been playing 12+ years.

And I am not the only person having this problem.

Edit: this computer gets cleaned regularly to remove dust and dirt.
    Edit 2: talking to other players who also have windows 10 seem to be having same problems. As Groot says the movie *light bulb* windows 10 just had an update. So what change in the update that effected our gaming?
    When you dont mention hardware checks, people will recommenced them, I would have done the same, because LOTRO DOES hit the cpu a lot harder than nearly any game - due to the fact it uses the cpu for nearly all gfx work; and pushes it through 1.5 cores, regardless of how many cores you have.

Lock ups from heat issues start to peak at this time of year, as the higher ambient temperatures make the systems run a few degrees hotter and can cause motherboard, RAM or CPU to tip over from running to glitching, as the weather gets hotter, the issue crops up more and more often.

if you are certain your CPU isnt overheating (fluff isnt the only possible reason - thermal paste degrades over time), you have run a suitable hardware monitor to keep an eye on other temp and voltage sensors in case the psu is overheating/overloading, and reseated your RAM and GFX card, then it is time to look at possible memory leak issues.

Remove all unneeded USB devices, especially webcams and console controllers/dongles, and make sure none of them are loading at start up by booting in Safe Mode with Networking.

When you have tried all this, get back to us.

or ignore/abuse us for talking down to you, your choice.

First of all let me say, I beg your pardon!

I have been fighting with my computer, and a very bad cold. Then I took it out on the community which was wrong of me.
    I am sorry!

It’s hard to monitor some things on my computer without opening it up and physically putting a temp monitor in it.
    When the game completely locks the computer you have to hard boot it to get it going again. All information is gone on the reboot.
    I can’t even roll back my windows update, because windows 10 doesn’t allow for that.
    I am using DX9
    Turned all in game graphics down
    Removed dust inside check
    defragmented check
    Virus checked
    Spyware checked
    Malware checked
    Removed old programs showing on task manager, not in use anymore.

The only real change I can point out in the past couples weeks are a minor patch with Standing Stone, and a patch from Windows!

I know by talking to other players in real life I am not the only player to have crashing problems.

The instability seems to happen more when swift travel is used in game. After jumping into a couple book instances or a couple Swift travels it locks up while in travel.
    Reboot computer via power switch, because it is hard locked.

Again I apologize for my earlier behavior!
    You were right in calling me out on this!

First of all let me say, I beg your pardon!

I have been fighting with my computer, and a very bad cold. Then I took it out on the community which was wrong of me.
    I am sorry!

It’s hard to monitor some things on my computer without opening it up and physically putting a temp monitor in it.
    When the game completely locks the computer you have to hard boot it to get it going again. All information is gone on the reboot.
    I can’t even roll back my windows update, because windows 10 doesn’t allow for that.
    I am using DX9
    Turned all in game graphics down
    Removed dust inside check
    defragmented check
    Virus checked
    Spyware checked
    Malware checked
    Removed old programs showing on task manager, not in use anymore.

The only real change I can point out in the past couples weeks are a minor patch with Standing Stone, and a patch from Windows!

I know by talking to other players in real life I am not the only player to have crashing problems.

The instability seems to happen more when swift travel is used in game. After jumping into a couple book instances or a couple Swift travels it locks up while in travel.
    Reboot computer via power switch, because it is hard locked.

Again I apologize for my earlier behavior!
    You were right in calling me out on this!
    We all get crabby sometimes; dont ever upset me whilst in the middle of a week long migraine!!! Of course if the Chronic fatigue has also kicked in, I wont have the energy to respond!

Do you know what programs you uninstalled?? I have noticed on Win7, some programs are shown as never used, or not used recently, when they HAVE been used - and almost daily in some cases; but launched indirectly by another program.

Here is a free HW software monitor; like any software solution, itr is not perfect, but even if the readings arent 100% accurate, they should show any changes, dips or peaks in temp voltage etc. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    It can record log files, so even if the PC crashes, you can go look at the log to see what was happening just before the crash.

Do you have a NV gfx card ?? There are known issues with it and DX9; Hurin's guide is the best place to look for solutions for that, however if Win10 did any updates just before the problems started, my first instinct is to reinstall dx9 from a known good archive; MS have several DX12 files that seem to overwrite some DX9 files, because MS claim they are DX9 compatible - except with LOTRO at least, they cause the game to crash.

I have had this happen even with Win7 and AMD gfx updates.

I mentioned voltages because like thermal paste, PSUs lose power capacity over time, and a lot of LOTRO players are using fairly old PCs that have been running the same PSU for 6-7 years.

Temps running normal average about 120

Still locking up and slightly laggy.

Going from annuminus to tinnidur swift travel about the sixth time and. He game freezes.
    Doing book quests you do a lot of bouncing back and forth and a lot of instances. In and out of multiple instances.

So now what?

Oh before you answer that again I reiterate other people are having this same problem of computer freezing up while playing LotRO.
    I’m beginning to think it is not my rig that is the problem.

So Standing Stone I have a question, where is your advice or help??

Just realised I havent seen any PC specs; are you running an NVidea gfx card?

There are known issues with them and dx9, NV have been trying to drop dx9 support and the suspicion is that they have written a deliberately buggy driver that only works properly on dx10 and above; as all the real issues happened after they tried to drop dx9 support entirely a couple of years ago.

There is a guide by Hurin about minimising the issues with NV and dx9; have you read it - assuming this IS a NV gfx card.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Just realised I havent seen any PC specs; are you running an NVidea gfx card?

There are known issues with them and dx9, NV have been trying to drop dx9 support and the suspicion is that they have written a deliberately buggy driver that only works properly on dx10 and above; as all the real issues happened after they tried to drop dx9 support entirely a couple of years ago.

There is a guide by Hurin about minimising the issues with NV and dx9; have you read it - assuming this IS a NV gfx card.
    I will get all specifics for you tomorrow.

So why are so many people on the legendary server also having this problem too. I’m starting o get aggravated and feeling like I’m being dismissed. Oh it your computer oh and it’s also lots of other players computer it’s definitely not Standing Stone?

Well, in a nutshell: There is really no way for a piece of software like LOTRO to lock up your computer and require a reboot. When a program crashes, the OS should always allow you to recover without rebooting. So either there’s a bug in a device driver, or the operating system itself, or you have a virus exploiting such a bug, or it’s a hardware problem. Common hardware problems are an overheating CPU, or a worn-out power supply — both of which would show up when your computer is working its hardest. That’s the thought process behind the suggestions above.

You said 120 degrees — I assume that’s °F?
    Last edited by Thurallor; May 28 2019 at 11:49 PM.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

120F is great for an Intel cpu, OK for a Ryzen cpu, but on the limit of stability for an older AMD cpu.

is this idle, whilst playing LOTRO or under a load teat like Prime95??

DOnt forget heat issues can cause problems with motherboard components like North/Southbridge that run pretty warm anyway, or voltage regulation circuits; especially if you run watercooling and havent considered the impact of less airflow across these components.

Some MSI boards have had issues with poor thermal paste on the voltage regulator component heatsinks, causing the board to fall over under heavy load; I had one! Cpu was 95F, the board was 70F, the Triacs were 180F !!

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    120F is great for an Intel cpu, OK for a Ryzen cpu, but on the limit of stability for an older AMD cpu.

is this idle, whilst playing LOTRO or under a load teat like Prime95??

DOnt forget heat issues can cause problems with motherboard components like North/Southbridge that run pretty warm anyway, or voltage regulation circuits; especially if you run watercooling and havent considered the impact of less airflow across these components.

Some MSI boards have had issues with poor thermal paste on the voltage regulator component heatsinks, causing the board to fall over under heavy load; I had one! Cpu was 95F, the board was 70F, the Triacs were 180F !!
    Alienware I7
    Intel Core i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.7GHZ
    16.0 GB ram
    64 bit OS - Windows 10
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX770M
    Or can use
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, (from mobo)

Is that the lappy or desktop?? I am assuming lappy from the cpu, but sometimes they turn up in SFF/USFF systems

have you tried the Intel gfx to see if it makes any difference??

I'm not sure this will help, but this has affected me over the past 6-8 months and was gradually getting worse and worse until today.

I also play on Legendary and over the past few months have had issues with lock ups (game, not PC) and crashes. I put a ticket in with SSG and worked with them on the issue. It ended up being an issue with my router (at least thats how we fixed it and I'm still testing over the next few days to see if it stops happening) and I did the following to fix my issue:

In my router, I opened the UDP Port to 9000 - 9100 (had to grab the manual on how to do this with mine).

Then in Documents > The Lord of The Rings Online > UserPreferences.ini. Opened this file and set the UserSpecifiedPort setting to a value between 9000 and 9100. I started with one value, and while the freezes changed frequency and didn't last as long, they were still there. I edited the INI again and entered another number and was able to play for several hours with any lockups/crashes at all after that.

At least thats what was happening to me and how we fixed it. Maybe it will help you?
    Strength & Honor

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrager View Post
    I'm not sure this will help, but this has affected me over the past 6-8 months and was gradually getting worse and worse until today.

I also play on Legendary and over the past few months have had issues with lock ups (game, not PC) and crashes. I put a ticket in with SSG and worked with them on the issue. It ended up being an issue with my router (at least thats how we fixed it and I'm still testing over the next few days to see if it stops happening) and I did the following to fix my issue:

In my router, I opened the UDP Port to 9000 - 9100 (had to grab the manual on how to do this with mine).

Then in Documents > The Lord of The Rings Online > UserPreferences.ini. Opened this file and set the UserSpecifiedPort setting to a value between 9000 and 9100. I started with one value, and while the freezes changed frequency and didn't last as long, they were still there. I edited the INI again and entered another number and was able to play for several hours with any lockups/crashes at all after that.

At least thats what was happening to me and how we fixed it. Maybe it will help you?
    Do you run a software firewall as well?? I had issues with ZoneAlarm randomly blocking the game anything from a few seconds to a few HOURS into a session.

Be careful with opening UDP ports, other than LOTRO, they are mostly used by maleware these days.