We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

hobbit free gift

maybe its just a one day bug or this is the new "free" daily hobbit gift but today my free hobbit gift was only free if i spent 2 mithril coins on the silver gift.
    clearly if the next time i sign in and its still 2 mithril coins for a "free" sliver hobbit gift then it wasnt a one day bug and its either yet another problem to get "fixed" or the daily free hobbit silver gifts arent free anymore

Sounds like you tried to collect it again before it reset. It resets at 3 am East Coast or Midnight Pacific Coast US.
    Footman Ryvick DonHuntstead 120 Guardian

Officer of Baruk Khazad

Arkenstone Server

Quote Originally Posted by DKHitz View Post
    maybe its just a one day bug or this is the new "free" daily hobbit gift but today my free hobbit gift was only free if i spent 2 mithril coins on the silver gift.
    clearly if the next time i sign in and its still 2 mithril coins for a "free" sliver hobbit gift then it wasnt a one day bug and its either yet another problem to get "fixed" or the daily free hobbit silver gifts arent free anymore
    As per above, the server reset is when the gift resets; you have to work out your local time for 3am EST; in the UK it is 8am GMT/ 7am BST. The server reset is when MOST of the game counters reset, including daily quests etc; so if you log in too early, the server will still be on "Yesterday".

BTW, NEVER spend MC on gifts, they just arent worth it, even the Gold gifts; the chances of getting something nice/useful are pretty low.

Having said that, I got 3 Universal Tool Kits on one character in one week, then a bug moving a kit to/from the vault gave me FOUR kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    As per above, the server reset is when the gift resets; you have to work out your local time for 3am EST; in the UK it is 8am GMT/ 7am BST. The server reset is when MOST of the game counters reset, including daily quests etc; so if you log in too early, the server will still be on "Yesterday".

BTW, NEVER spend MC on gifts, they just arent worth it, even the Gold gifts; the chances of getting something nice/useful are pretty low.

Having said that, I got 3 Universal Tool Kits on one character in one week, then a bug **************************.
    I'd remove that last bit here and send it in as a bug report if you have not already.

But I completely agree. Never spend coins on the daily gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    I'd remove that last bit here and send it in as a bug report if you have not already.

But I completely agree. Never spend coins on the daily gifts.
    Reported it 2 years ago, got nothing back but an auto reply.

I didnt get any benefit from it, I had 6 alts and 7 tools kits.

yes i know it resets and yes i know if you click it more then the free one it is then charged but
    it was the first time for that day and something else that got me thinking it was a bug or issue was because when i switched to an alt on the account the free hobbit gift icon showed up again. now the last time i switched toons on the account before getting the free daily hobbit gift, if i didnt get the gift with the first toon i signed into and then switched the icon would go away because for whatever programming reason. so if i didnt take the free gift with the first toon i signed into and switched, i lost that free gift for that day

yes i know it resets and yes i know if you click it more then the free one it is then charged but
    it was the first time for that day and something else that got me thinking it was a bug or issue was because when i switched to an alt on the account the free hobbit gift icon showed up again. now the last time i switched toons on the account before getting the free daily hobbit gift, if i didnt get the gift with the first toon i signed into and then switched the icon would go away because for whatever programming reason. so if i didnt take the free gift with the first toon i signed into and switched, i lost that free gift for that day
    Sorry, assumed you were a brand new player from the "Just starting out" tag.

Are you running any plug-ins? try logging in without them enabled and see if the problem clears.

That's defintely a bug. I've never seen it; and I have lots of alts. Whichever alt first takes the gift matters for me, not which alt first logs in.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

the just starting out relates to how much and how active you are in forums for postings
    i dont do plug ins or any mods, just like i did with world of tanks
    it seems to have been a one day deal since the next day it went back to normal
    but
    now i see the message about log in issues was removed and now i cant log in
    i get to the toon list screen and choose my toon and then click enter middle earth and all i get is nowhere and in the top left corner it puts that its not connecting aka having problems
    oh well, i dont expect much out of them anyways so in my books this is typical par for the course

the just starting out relates to how much and how active you are in forums for postings
    i dont do plug ins or any mods, just like i did with world of tanks
    it seems to have been a one day deal since the next day it went back to normal
    but
    now i see the message about log in issues was removed and now i cant log in
    i get to the toon list screen and choose my toon and then click enter middle earth and all i get is nowhere and in the top left corner it puts that its not connecting aka having problems
    oh well, i dont expect much out of them anyways so in my books this is typical par for the course
    Cordovans condensed version of my advice - as there are so many threads about the current issues I cannot remember which ones I have posted in. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...88#post7932188

No connection issues at that stage are usually firewall heuristic issues, usually need to white-list lotro.exe under the heuristic settings menu, although ZoneAlarm used to randomly block the game no matter what I did.

actually lotro client is already on the allowed list
    i only brought it up because not but a few days ago they had a signing in screen message about there being sign in problems and before saturday, i never had this issue before
    yes i would get timed out from time to time but never getting stuck at the toon screen
    well i tried once again today and still the same thing so as i see it whatever their problem they had when others had sign in problems that has now gotten more wide spread

actually lotro client is already on the allowed list
    i only brought it up because not but a few days ago they had a signing in screen message about there being sign in problems and before saturday, i never had this issue before
    yes i would get timed out from time to time but never getting stuck at the toon screen
    well i tried once again today and still the same thing so as i see it whatever their problem they had when others had sign in problems that has now gotten more wide spread
    If you didnt try to update the game during the time the DNS server was "indisposed" you shouldnt have suffered any problems from it; my machine was up to date and I could connect and play through the days the problem occurred.

The blocking issue doesnt normally turn up, or be affected by white listing lotro.exe in the normal firewall settings; certainly under COMODO it has to be white listed under the Heuristic settings AS WELL, and major game/program updates regularly cause it to be blocked again.

if your system DID try to update the game during the issue, it will have downloaded some corrupted files - I suspect that when the game was written, no one thought to code to check the accuracy of the files before they started downloading them, hence so many people suffering various degrees of corrupted game files.

if so, go through Cordovans list of things to do from step 1.

If the coding was done properly, it should have error'ed as soon as the files on the server didnt match what should have been there.

I an REALLY hoping SSG get on top of this, because now it is known, ANYONE who hacks the update server could download malicious files to any and all game players, without the launcher even noticing.

Back to your issue, if the above didnt happen, and if the firewall doesnt seem to have any Heuristic settings, check the PC "Hosts" file. If it doesnt have one (I dont play with Win10), check the Firewall documentation/Help files to see if it Blacklists/Whitelists anywhere else.

If you run Spybot S&D, it SHOULD have a hoists file, because that is where Spybot lists its website blocklist.

If THAT doesnt help, query your ISP about UDP blocking, explaining a program you use gets blocked from server access every time it switches to UDP protocol; and are they using a network level AV filter that might be causing this.

Sadly, UDP is mostly used by malware these days, so as more ISPs implement network level AV, more players get access blocked without warning.

This happened to me a few years ago and I submitted a bug ticket and talked back and forth with a GM. They even logged into my account and were not able to duplicate the problem.

There is a super easy fix though, update the actual time on your computer.

Just a guess on my part but apparently the timer for DISPLAYING the icon and indicating in the window if your present is free or not is based on your computer time. The actual timer that determines if you are CHARGED for the present is based on the server clock.

Hope this helps!

so i played after doing the update
    then come saturday 5/4/2019 i try to sign in and i get to the toon list screen and cant get beyond that
    try again sunday 5/5/2019 and same thing
    now come monday 5/6/2019 its back to where it was on thursday 5/3/2019 and like most the rest of the days i have been playing since 2012

i did nothing at all

maybe this was a rotating problem since whoever had to post a message about sign in issue so it was something that had been an ongoing problem and seems it caught up with me during the weekend

maybe they got it fixed or its just some bandaid for the mean time

oh well

so i played after doing the update
    then come saturday 5/4/2019 i try to sign in and i get to the toon list screen and cant get beyond that
    try again sunday 5/5/2019 and same thing
    now come monday 5/6/2019 its back to where it was on thursday 5/3/2019 and like most the rest of the days i have been playing since 2012

i did nothing at all

maybe this was a rotating problem since whoever had to post a message about sign in issue so it was something that had been an ongoing problem and seems it caught up with me during the weekend

maybe they got it fixed or its just some bandaid for the mean time

oh well
    Getting to the character selection screen then timing out/losing the connection - is often caused by a firewall block; as you say you did nothing, and assuming you dont use ZoneAlarm, it could be your ISP is playing with a network level system, so be prepared for it to possibly kick in again and block you in the near future; especially after the expected game update on Wednesday.

I am currently experiencing a similar problem. I cannot claim my gold hobbit present today, when I click the gold hobbit present icon on lower right of my screen all that happens is I get a popup telling me when I can claim my NEXT gold present, shows a one-week countdown counter and mithril offers below on the buttons. The gold Hobbit Present icon NEVER goes away and is stuck on my screen. I have this same issue on both Anor and Evernight servers.
    "Life is a pretty boring game, but at least it has good graphics"

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiandrial View Post
    I am currently experiencing a similar problem. I cannot claim my gold hobbit present today, when I click the gold hobbit present icon on lower right of my screen all that happens is I get a popup telling me when I can claim my NEXT gold present, shows a one-week countdown counter and mithril offers below on the buttons. The gold Hobbit Present icon NEVER goes away and is stuck on my screen. I have this same issue on both Anor and Evernight servers.
    Have you checked that the clock on your computer is set properly?

yes my clock is set as its supposed to be

yes my clock is set as its supposed to be
    A PC has TWO clocks, the Windows clock is the most obvious, but there is also the motherboard clock, accessed via the BIOS. The LOTRO game engine is so old, it might be reading the BIOS clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    BTW, NEVER spend MC on gifts, they just aren't worth it, even the Gold gifts; the chances of getting something nice/useful are pretty low.
    This, in flashing neon lights.

I ONCE got 200 MC as a gold hobbit present. I never expect to see that again, but it was cool when it happened.

As for the general run of hobbit presents, I remind you:

Hobbits give presents to other people on their birthdays. Not very expensive ones, as a rule, and not so lavishly as on this occasion; but it was not a bad system. Actually in Hobbiton and Bywater every day in the year was somebody's birthday, so that every hobbit in those parts had a fair chance of at least one present at least once a week. But they never tired of them. ... It was a tendency of hobbit-holes to get cluttered up: for which the custom of giving so many birthday-presents was largely responsible. Not, of course, that the birthday-presents were always new; there were one or two old mathoms of forgotten uses that had circulated all round the district.
    We can see that the randomness and varying quality of hobbit-presents in-game is in keeping with hobbitic present-giving in the books. Dale-men's Crams. Universal Toolkits. Tomes of [some virtue you don't use] XII, bound to account. As we so often observe, SSG sticks to the Lore whenever possible.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

yes all the clocks are running at time they are supposed to be running

yes all the clocks are running at time they are supposed to be running
    OK, last gasp, do you connect via any type of VPN?? Especially TOR.

I am not up on TOR, but I understand it strips out identifying data, that might include time, or time zone data.

i dont fiddle around anymore, back in my system building days i would but been out of that line for many years
    i had problems then it went back to typical and its done it twice now in recent times
    im sure there is some logical explanation that might or might not surface later on

i dont fiddle around anymore, back in my system building days i would but been out of that line for many years
    i had problems then it went back to typical and its done it twice now in recent times
    im sure there is some logical explanation that might or might not surface later on
    OK, some very strange bugs turning up in recent months, perhaps something introduced as part of the code clean up and prep for 64 bit client is causing it, but I am stumped why only 2 people have reported this issue.