We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I am un subbing over this Anvil completion crash bug on Macs and SSG refusing to make it right

I have tried bug reports and in game support and they refer me to the other. I just want my deed completion so I can trade for gear. I have completed boss 4 on a number of alts but always crash and never get the deed, only the loot drops. SSG, refusing to just grant the deed is not acceptable. I understand you will never make a Mac client that works, but at least grant me the deed! I cannot understand why this is refused. I can prove having completed as I have the gear that drops from completing boss 4. It can be hard to even just get into a raid let alone complete for me, so to have the deed completion 100% broken(since it was released!) is extremely frustrating. I've spent a lot of $ on Lotro, but no more.

Reme
    mber, it is a game.

Have you tried the new Mac client?
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

yeah, I figured that would be the first response. not helpful ty.

Reme
    mber, it is a game.

"Not helpful" because you've already tried it? That would be helpful for us to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Krysstofur View Post
    I have tried bug reports and in game support and they refer me to the other. I just want my deed completion so I can trade for gear. I have completed boss 4 on a number of alts but always crash and never get the deed, only the loot drops. SSG, refusing to just grant the deed is not acceptable. I understand you will never make a Mac client that works, but at least grant me the deed! I cannot understand why this is refused. I can prove having completed as I have the gear that drops from completing boss 4. It can be hard to even just get into a raid let alone complete for me, so to have the deed completion 100% broken(since it was released!) is extremely frustrating. I've spent a lot of $ on Lotro, but no more.
    Are other MAC users having the same issue??

The new Mac client is janky at best right now. Best used for tooling around without mission critical (other people) ramifications of crash.

There was a recent PC player complaining of similar crashes in a different instance, lots of ranting, but not heard a peep since I suggested it might be a sign of a very minor RAM or VRAM fault, and to try swapping out RAM and then gfx card to see if it helped.

Sometimes just a single cell or 2 can go bad - or be bad from the day you bought it - and 99.99999999% of the time you would never know - except for that one specific incident that keeps happening.

With me it was PGA Tour Golf - the ball kept missing the hole in the instant replay - having gone in the first time around. Replaced the RAM - which had passed hours of MEMTEST - and it never happened again.

I regularly raid with someone using a Mac & she will inevitably crash at the loading screen after the escape from Hrimil. The way that we were able to get the Deed completion for her was to have no one move once we reached the loading screen. She would, as usual, crash while everyone else is loading in to the final Instance with the chest. She would then reload & re-enter the Instance while the rest of us remained motionless. Once she was back with us she would be the one to move forward towards the chest & in so doing complete the Deed. The Deed doesn't trigger until someone in the raid takes a couple of steps into the final Instance.

Quote Originally Posted by -Nozzie- View Post
    I regularly raid with someone using a Mac & she will inevitably crash at the loading screen after the escape from Hrimil. The way that we were able to get the Deed completion for her was to have no one move once we reached the loading screen. She would, as usual, crash while everyone else is loading in to the final Instance with the chest. She would then reload & re-enter the Instance while the rest of us remained motionless. Once she was back with us she would be the one to move forward towards the chest & in so doing complete the Deed. The Deed doesn't trigger until someone in the raid takes a couple of steps into the final Instance.
    Unless a large number of Mac users crash at exactly the same place, it is more likely to be a fault with 3rd party code/hardware as it is to be a fault with SSG code, as if it were SSG code EVERYONE on a MAC should crash the same way, in the same places.

MAC users need to talk to each other, sort out who crashes where and look for similarities/differences in their set ups; since MACs are much more restricted than PCs, it should be a lot easier to identify hardware/firmware 3rd party software that crash suffers have, that the users who arent crashing dont have

Not to discount the problems of Mac users; it also could be Wine, BootCamp or other translational software between the Mac OS and Windows then LOTRO. It could be even LOTRO itself. SSG is trying to support the Mac LOTRO user; they did release a new "... Wine client solution." A client that will replace the "... former MacOS client ..." with update 24 - when it is released.

The suggestion for the Mac users to get together and compare is probably the best recommendation for now. They are familiar with the MacOS and the layers of programs between it and LOTRO. Their biggest problem is the closed Mac architecture...
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Anvil Crash - They closed my ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    Not to discount the problems of Mac users; it also could be Wine, BootCamp or other translational software between the Mac OS and Windows then LOTRO. It could be even LOTRO itself. SSG is trying to support the Mac LOTRO user; they did release a new "... Wine client solution." A client that will replace the "... former MacOS client ..." with update 24 - when it is released.

The suggestion for the Mac users to get together and compare is probably the best recommendation for now. They are familiar with the MacOS and the layers of programs between it and LOTRO. Their biggest problem is the closed Mac architecture...
    Yes, I too have suffered the same crash and deed issues for months.
    I also submitted several tickets but they closed each ticket with no reply. I was a VIP who spent real money on keys and such to equip and then they close the tickets without reply. I ended up cancelling my VIP as I was so rudely treated by devs who do not care.

If they accept money for VIP on mac clients they are obliged to support no matter how they interpret that. I wonder if this is actually illegal trading. Even if not, it is a truly awful software development ethos.

I created follow up tickets to the ones they closed, asked for escalation and they deleted that too. When I look at the photos of the team on Twitter and their fake "community spirit", I can see now that it is all a sham and they really don't care. After all, how long does it take to reply to a ticket and who on earth closes support tickets without reply? If it were my company, and I then read this forum, I would probably terminate the fool that decided to close tickets for VIPs without so much as a simple one word reply.

Shame on SSG. Awful support. Inconsiderate thieves who deserve no $$$ for lotro. Long live free play as vip's should not bother to pay to support such poor ethos.

No more VIP or $ ever more from this player.
    Last edited by Quodon; May 05 2019 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quodon View Post
    If they accept money for VIP on mac clients they are obliged to support no matter how they interpret that.
    What makes you think that? You own absolutely nothing, your characters, your items, your levels, your achievements..... everything is owned by SSG, you just "lease the right" to access it. And they have every right to stop supporting a certain OS, or support it in a way it makes sense for them.

Reminder: Apple is also at fault here: They chose to stop supporting certain API's that Lotro needs in the next version of MacOS, so besides re-writing the whole game engine for MacOS (which isn't going to happen) they did the next best thing: Make sure the Windows client works under Wine. It will also mean they can support 1 codeline, instead of a separate codeline for Windows an Mac.

But if you are under any illusion that they are "obliged to" support YOUR OS, and YOUR HARDWARE because you paid for VIP, you are 100% wrong. Get Bootcamp. Install Windows 10. And you can still play.

Apple has made choices, among which moving to ARM CPU's in 2020, removing all 32-bit support in 2019, and removing old graphic API support such as OpenGL. Lotro isn't the only game with an older engine affected by this, but at least they have made a client available that will still work, and should work on future Apple Hardware. Other games affected by this are games like Sims 4, which has announced it will stop supporting the same older technologies, but they are making a version that will work with Metal, the current graphics processing API for MacOS.

A good read: https://appleinsider.com/articles/18...ses-out-opengl

Big game studios might have the resources to re-write a game engine for Metal. SSG simply doesn't. But before you keep blaming SSG for their Mac support, understand Apple is a MAJOR reason for this, and SSG isn't the only game studio dumping MacOS support.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    What makes you think that? You own absolutely nothing, your characters, your items, your levels, your achievements..... everything is owned by SSG, you just "lease the right" to access it. And they have every right to stop supporting a certain OS, or support it in a way it makes sense for them.
    That is way too harsh to say the least. Yes, they have right to stop support but excuse me they are business, and as such they should give some reply to a customer. Be it we are working on it or we can't support Mac any longer, just about anything but closing tickets without a word.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to see people going away because someone couldn't be bothered to write few words.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirhaen View Post
    That is way too harsh to say the least. Yes, they have right to stop support but excuse me they are business, and as such they should give some reply to a customer. Be it we are working on it or we can't support Mac any longer, just about anything but closing tickets without a word.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to see people going away because someone couldn't be bothered to write few words.
    I agree on the tickets part, they close tickets way too fast.... "oh you aren't online? let's close the ticket!" - that should change. Most companies keep the ticket open if you aren't available and re-contact you 3 times in total and try to setup a time to contact, but SSG literally closes the ticket and you have to open a new one when after waiting for 6 hours you decide it's really time for some sleep.... This is something they need to address, but they may just not have the resources.

But they have given replies re: the Mac client at least..... both in text on this forum, and in video by Severlin during the anniversary live stream. The Wine client is here to stay. The native client will stop getting support, probably before the release of MacOS 10.14.

Mind you, Apple bears a lot of the blame here by removing support for 32bit apps of any kind, and by removing support for OpenGL. Converting the game to be Metal compatible is a huge undertaking that large game studios can easily afford, but many smaller game studios have announced they stop supporting MacOS for their older games. Not a big deal in most case because they are old, single player games that can be played without a patch you can just play an old version on old hardware..... but it is an issue for an online game that is continuously updated such as Lotro, and they need to work on old, current, and future hardware. Apple is pretty much giving the middle finger to small game studios such as SSG that don't have the resources.... but at least SSG fired back with the Wine solution. It isn't perfect, but considering Apple's decisions re: ARM vs Intel, dropping OpenGL, 32-bit support, changing other API's, etc..... it's probably the best SSG can do short of stopping support for MacOS altogether.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    I agree on the tickets part, they close tickets way too fast.... "oh you aren't online? let's close the ticket!" - that should change. Most companies keep the ticket open if you aren't available and re-contact you 3 times in total and try to setup a time to contact, but SSG literally closes the ticket and you have to open a new one when after waiting for 6 hours you decide it's really time for some sleep.... This is something they need to address, but they may just not have the resources.

But they have given replies re: the Mac client at least..... both in text on this forum, and in video by Severlin during the anniversary live stream. The Wine client is here to stay. The native client will stop getting support, probably before the release of MacOS 10.14.

Mind you, Apple bears a lot of the blame here by removing support for 32bit apps of any kind, and by removing support for OpenGL. Converting the game to be Metal compatible is a huge undertaking that large game studios can easily afford, but many smaller game studios have announced they stop supporting MacOS for their older games. Not a big deal in most case because they are old, single player games that can be played without a patch you can just play an old version on old hardware..... but it is an issue for an online game that is continuously updated such as Lotro, and they need to work on old, current, and future hardware. Apple is pretty much giving the middle finger to small game studios such as SSG that don't have the resources.... but at least SSG fired back with the Wine solution. It isn't perfect, but considering Apple's decisions re: ARM vs Intel, dropping OpenGL, 32-bit support, changing other API's, etc..... it's probably the best SSG can do short of stopping support for MacOS altogether.
    I'm glad you agree on tickets issue, and thanks for explaining about Mac as indeed I am clueless on the subject. I can understand it though through something similar. My husband is a webpage designer and developer and sometimes is nothing short of a challenge to make a webpage to work same and as intended in every browser. Sometimes he had to accept the fact that things will look bit different. Once he even gave up.

Well I hope we get better ticket support. I myself never had a problem except in cases when things need to be sorted out fast, like bugged instance or quest. It also seems to be very dependent on a server and GM, which shouldn't be the case.

Posting on public forums is not an intelligent way to "leave" a game Simply walk away, stop paying your money, and let the game die due to you not being there paying your $14.95/month.