We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The "new" Mac client

So we got a hidden nugget dropped in a different forum, that the Mac client is being replaced completely come next Update.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ilable-and-FAQ

After jumping through hoops to reinstall again to check it out and get the resolution to work with existing skins, now I see a few issues.

1. Some icons of legendary items are now blank/missing.
    2. Text seen in most places seems "blocky" and in some cases either letters are cut off or unnecessarily dropped below the line, such as in the Auction Interface, level indicators of items are seen below the line and cut off at times with items over 100 level.
    3. Quitting the game leaves the "WinE Pre-loader" stuck running in the background, and needs to be force killed. Every. Time.
    4. Overall "look and feel" is not as good as it was with the Mac client. (DirectX 9, Really???)
    5. The launcher no longer has the "automatically enter last played World" option on login and does not highlight your previously played ones like it used to.

I hope this is just an initial port/platform swap and they will actually get it up to the performance seen with the previous Mac client, warts and all, even with the constant memory crashes, at least it looked better.

27" Retina iMac, 4GB i7 core. 32GB ram, Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GPU running latest Mojave Beta.
    0096 2251 2110 8105

Oh, and I take it this means they're NOT doing a 64bit Mac client as mentioned in the past?
    0096 2251 2110 8105

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgaard View Post
    2. Text seen in most places seems "blocky" and in some cases either letters are cut off or unnecessarily dropped below the line, such as in the Auction Interface, level indicators of items are seen below the line and cut off at times with items over 100 level.
    A screencap or two would help.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    It sure would, but I guess another log on the fire here is all screenshot attempts using the WinE client end up as a black screen image.
    0096 2251 2110 8105

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgaard View Post
    It sure would, but I guess another log on the fire here is all screenshot attempts using the WinE client end up as a black screen image.
    Did you try both methods? (i.e. LOTRO's built-in screencap method, and the operating system's method)?
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

Existing thread on new Mac client experiences

There's an existing lengthy thread detailing people's experience with the new Mac client. Cord has been monitoring it. Problems and solutions. For example, the macOS screenshot keyboard commands work.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...18#post7928618

My biggest complain (so far) is that the Camera Zoom (Mouse) is too sensitive with the Magic Mouse. I didn't experience this when dual-booting the game. I thought I'd get used to it, but it's pretty annoying.

I did try adjusting the Mouse options in System Preferences (Accessibility >> Mouse & Trackpad), but it has no effect.

I've also tried to modify the USER.REG file under the LOTRO application. It appears to be a registry file with "WheelScrollLines" which you can edit in Text Edit. The value was "3", but I've tried changing it to different values with no apparent effect.

You can access these files yourself by RIGHT-CLICKING on the LOTRO application >> Show Package Concents >> Contents >> Resources >> wineprefix

If anyone has other suggestions, I think I'd be nearly 100% happy with the new client.
    Velduin (120 Rune Keeper) - Fasgund (117 Minstrel) • Crickhollow

2017 iMac (Retina 5k -- 27") - 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB Ram - Radeon Pro 580 8 GB - Mac OS Mojave (10.14.4)

The new mac client .... oh wait ! are you kidding us guys ? that's not a mac client. it's a windows client port on mac using Wine.

Wikipédia :
    Wine (recursive backronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator) is a free and open-source compatibility layer that aims to allow computer programs (application software and computer games) developed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. Wine also provides a software library, known as Winelib, against which developers can compile Windows applications to help port them to Unix-like systems.

Windows native client on mac .. that's all.

So you don't have done the job. People use it to play on linux (and mac too) since ... pfffiou ... so long time ago.
    Welcome to new bugs now & ###### things (didn't have it on old NATIVE mac client ). in fact, that's not a gift for us, it's just telling us that we are so little part of the lotro's player that it wasn't, economically speaking, useful to make a real mac client. I can understand this ! but please stop kidding us ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    Yup, sorted it out manually, since the in-game hotkeys don't work on WinE, stuck em on a twitter post.

First pick is AH UI in Mac Client showing item level numbers normally.
    Second is same view in WinE
    3rd pic is without custom UI to rule that out.

Notice how the levels of the items over lvl 100 are kerned below the line and cut off.

https://twitter.com/Stilgaard/status...59132964335617
    0096 2251 2110 8105

Well I had things running pretty smooth for a while, but the game FREEZES when moving around in Bree. I can't run longer than a couple minutes before I have to Force Quit because everything just locks up.

Back to my Windows 10 dual boot. Bummer.
    Velduin (120 Rune Keeper) - Fasgund (117 Minstrel) • Crickhollow

2017 iMac (Retina 5k -- 27") - 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB Ram - Radeon Pro 580 8 GB - Mac OS Mojave (10.14.4)

I'm freezing too, but only when I take a horse somewhere. Happens with both swift and slow travel, and not all the time, but since I've been keeping a tally it's close to 50%. I have to force quit and relaunch.

Same here, ported my Hunter back to Bree to test it in this "new" client and froze 3 times before making it to the Prancing Pony with the music grinding away still.

Can't look at a crash report because it didn't crash, just froze and needed to be force quit after waiting 5 minutes each time.
    0096 2251 2110 8105

Very annoyed that the install process deleted my old working client and now I have to download 20GB of raw data on a metered connection. My old client had a different file name LotRO.app vs the new one LOTRO.app. It should have been left alone!

Unhappy No 3rd party bolt ons & other issues

Loaded up the new client fine, took about 2 ½ hours. Played & quit a number of times, only had one drop out. The wine open app remains open in the background upon exiting the game & generates a total blank black screen if selected to try direct quit quit command.

Ran an alt through Bree too Angmar. Very jerky at times, a bit like watching a movie shot on a hand cranked camera. Also had a few total freezes & some combats that resolved themselves in a sudden flurry (sometimes after the target & it's vitals had already vanished on screen).

Graphics resolution seemed to be in soft focus, no matter what I set the options too.

No skins, ABC tunes, Plugins or any other 3rd party bolt on available, I suppose these require manual relocation, but the installer gave no clues.

Don't know if some of these issues relate to me having kept the original game app on my machine as well.

Hi,

as I wrote in the other threat I first had some mini-lags but now everything works fine.

PlugIns and Skins - no problem. I downloaded them from LotroInterface and installed them in the folder which was automatically created in my user-folder. It is called "The Lord of the Rings Online"

I am happy with the new "client"

Greetings

Just to be clear plugins go in ~/Documents/Lord Of The Rings Online/

Angry client performance too bad to play

I have an MacBook Pro 2015 and could play all the time with the old client except the last 1 or 2 weeks,
    as the client crashed every minute.
    I was aks to install the new client.
    With the new client the performance is too bad to play anymore - even on lowest graphic settings ...

Support just answer, that no support is given and I have to ask here.
    Nice - have to cancelled my contracts and leave LOTR ... to bad.

or dont I have to?

Quote Originally Posted by Taharna View Post
    The new mac client .... oh wait ! are you kidding us guys ? that's not a mac client. it's a windows client port on mac using Wine.

Wikipédia :
    Wine (recursive backronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator) is a free and open-source compatibility layer that aims to allow computer programs (application software and computer games) developed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. Wine also provides a software library, known as Winelib, against which developers can compile Windows applications to help port them to Unix-like systems.

Windows native client on mac .. that's all.

So you don't have done the job. People use it to play on linux (and mac too) since ... pfffiou ... so long time ago.
    Welcome to new bugs now & ###### things (didn't have it on old NATIVE mac client ). in fact, that's not a gift for us, it's just telling us that we are so little part of the lotro's player that it wasn't, economically speaking, useful to make a real mac client. I can understand this ! but please stop kidding us ...

I agree. A big joke.

It very much isn't ready for prime time. What with the missing instructions on where everything is really going, instructions on Plugin support, what and why they are really doing this, how current WINE installs play a role, and on and on. Anyway, I'll keep eeking out the regular client until the bitter end.

I reported in the other thread my issues but of course no support from SSG. I use a Razer Naga programmable mouse with the native client and have had ZERO issues since day one. D/L the "new" WinMac client and if i run a macro my player completely freezes. I can't move until the macro is done, i can't turn, i can't walk, i can't strafe. I ported all my native client settings over but it still does the exact same thing. I don't think it's a graphic freeze because the skills will still fire, but apparently the WinMac client can't handle the input of two devices at the exact same time. I can walk and move camera (done with mouse), but i can't fire a skill from the mouse and move using the W,S,D,A,Q,E keys. Any idea what the heck is wrong with this?
    ~ Anaxander R9 Warden, Karukh R12 Warg ~ Formerly of Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by AaronIU View Post
    I reported in the other thread my issues but of course no support from SSG. I use a Razer Naga programmable mouse with the native client and have had ZERO issues since day one. D/L the "new" WinMac client and if i run a macro my player completely freezes. I can't move until the macro is done, i can't turn, i can't walk, i can't strafe. I ported all my native client settings over but it still does the exact same thing. I don't think it's a graphic freeze because the skills will still fire, but apparently the WinMac client can't handle the input of two devices at the exact same time. I can walk and move camera (done with mouse), but i can't fire a skill from the mouse and move using the W,S,D,A,Q,E keys. Any idea what the heck is wrong with this?
    I don't get the impression that they're going to have the expertise to troubleshoot that, since it's an interaction between Wine and your specific mouse.

I've had most success doing Google search about Wine. On a quick search, I'm not finding anything yet. But I swear I read something about multiple input sources someplace -- though it may well be your post on the other thread :-/

ETA: OK, I found a note about device inputs not working on a Wine thread on an EQ forum. The advice was to run in windowed mode. I haven't actually been able to *get* into windowed mode, so I'd love advice on that.
    Last edited by Echoweaver; Apr 25 2019 at 08:07 AM.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Mithril League: Ardith (Woman Captain)
    Learning to raid on Anor https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship