We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lootbox drops and key pricing

First, I do understand SSG needing to monetize in order to survive. I also get that striking a balance that doesn't make players feel squeezed can be difficult.

But I think that the lootbox issue is one where that balance is very off, almost to the level of the old push to get players to buy falling injury immunity by making almost every bump in the road cause injury. It almost feels like someone at SSG decided that I was a money machine that should give them a couple of dollars every time they push a button, and that they were going to push that button OFTEN, by throwing way too many lootboxes at me.

I know that people often filter those out now, but that simply demonstrates how negative that player/SSG relationship aspect has become. Could we lower the number of lootboxes dropped? Could we lower the key price so that it's more likely that players will occasionally experiment with the boxes and not feel such an impact on the LOTRO Point balance? Basically, could we make that particular aspect of the player/SSG relationship to be less abrasive?

As to items to encourage LOTRO Point purchases for cash flow for SSG, I'll resubmit this idea: Add a 96-hour option to the Auction House and then sell 40 and 50 selling/bidding item limits for 295 and 395 LP, respectively. That ought to bring more LP purchases without making players feel gouged. (At least, I wouldn't feel that way)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWe View Post
    ... by throwing way too many lootboxes at me. ...
    Alt R.
    Nothing more needs saying.
    A vote for Sapience is a vote for progress! Vote today!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWe View Post
    and that they were going to push that button OFTEN, by throwing way too many lootboxes at me.
    The interesting part is that they throw many lootboxes at me and up to now it was possible to sell all of them at the AH.

Of course there are a few explanations, but I do not like most of the ones i can make up:
    • people using a lot of lootboxes with bought keys in large quantities (so we will never get rid of them as long as they do so)
    • gold sellers using a lot of lootboxes with keys of unknown source (was the gold seller problem just hidden and continues silently below the radar?)
    • SSG influencing the lootbox market on the AH (creating the impression that lootboxes are important because others use it)
    • SSG influencing the lootbox market on the AH (so that lootboxes are still worth something and people do not filter them immediately, but have them visible in their inventory for some time - this worked out in my case)
    • SSG influencing the lootbox market on the AH (assuming that SSG influences the AH market in general, the only option that could probably be considered as positive)
    • others...

The last time I was playing, two years ago, I would buy keys fairly often despite feeling they were over-priced. Once I realized that the loot was usually pretty useless, I stopped.

I started playing again recently, opened a few of the new boxes and discovered nothing much has changed.