We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Festivals - a time of celebration, not a time of grinding and deadline

These festivals should be a time to celebrate the seasons, not add on to our daily grind and every day frustration.
    Let us do as many quests as we want or earn our tokens however we want please.
    Having to wait each day for the quests to reset is a bit annoying and some people actually would prefer not to wait.
    Not to mention that most festivals only last for like a week or two, maybe three if we're lucky, and only have a few quests to complete a day.

I really cannot find the right words to explain myself but I'll at least try.
    It feels like we are being rushed to get everything done in a couple of weeks and also not enough time to do get everything we want.

I brought this up in game and almost immediately got blasted for it because I simply just didn't want to wait and the same guy also suggested that I would also complain if it were too easy or get bored because I had nothing left to do.

My argument about not having anything left to do: this actually would be the exact opposite if we didn't have to wait on quests to reset.
    My argument about it being too easy: the point of a festival is to have fun and get rewards without having to work hard for them like you do with Legendary Items and gear.
    My argument about getting bored: I did it on myself if I overdid it with the festival quests, that are meant to feel like festivities rather than daily quests.

Also, account-shared festival tokens as well as inn league and ale association badges would actually be reasonable.

I don't mean to come off as a whiner, I just would rather have fun with a festival and not feel like it's a grind to get stuff.

you have a point on this
    we have lifes, work n famillys!
    we have to be able to do more especially in fests........
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Letting us repeat each quest more than 10 times a day wont change the way how people with lives play.
    And it's also not like we are getting any supreme mithrin essences or slotted gear with uber stats that'll overgear everyone overnight.

Lightbulb

Unfortionetly all these very valid arguments was used to request to make something about daily locks on instances before Ered Mithrin area was released. It lead to the so called "favoured" loot system that in practicality meant even less times we can run them per week with any good rewards. We can not even run the instances 7 times in a week now with any loot but useless Grarik coins after a few runs. Also loot in general have become worse and purple drops not even being able to be turned into Embers etc.

So I'd "be careful what I wish for" as if SSG follow that pattern they migh remove daily locks, but instead lower the rewards, or make it so You can not even do all quests 7 times within the same week. Resulting in worse than what we currently have.

One reason they don't do this is because of bots. A festival like the Yule festival is in one area, and a macro-recorder would allow someone to go through all the non-killing and non-theater quests (there is about 7 of those), and then rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat all day long on an auto-bot..... it takes about 15 minutes to do those 7 quests, at 4 tokens a quest = 35 tokens every 15 minutes, 140 tokens per hour, roughly 3,000 tokens per day. 3,000 times the amount of free accounts you can run on one computer (there have been people running a 16-man creep raid on one computer), etc.... the simple math if you happen to have 3 decent computers (which a gold seller in china probably would have), and you could - in theory - make 3,000 x 16 x 3 = 144,000 yule tokens per day. Hell, they could macro the keg emergency quest, and run it every 60 seconds!

And you will start to see the problem: They will buy everything that isn't bound in any way - such as most of the pets - and then start mass-selling them on the AH. People will pay for pets and cosmetics, especially if the festival is over. People create alts, and they want another owl or another white hare or, or, or....

And whoomp, a gold seller is born.

They would only be able to do this if they were to make literally *everything* bound to account, so NO gift boxes, NO selling of anything to other accounts. And that will cause a different group of players to be upset....
    Or limit the tokens to 500 a day, which would cause people who like to hoard tokens for NEXT year to get upset (or to trade for tokens for the next festival), etc...

You can't really please everyone, but I would venture to say that any approach that would allow gold sellers to macro quests all day and sell unbound stuff on the AH.... is definitely the wrong approach. The only way I see this as a possibility is if there is a reasonable cost attached to it. Some tasks and daily quests can be reset for 10 mithril coins. Doing that with yule quests would allow someone that wants tokens quickly to reset their quest a couple of times, but not to the point it is advantageous to macro it. 1 mithril coin would probably still make it lucrative to maco, 10 would be more reasonable.

They could also take the 8 hour approach like they just did with the seasonal instance. Then you can run the quests every 8 hours..... that would still prevent bots, and gives "we the players" 3 times as many token chances a day.
    Last edited by maartena; Apr 16 2019 at 07:10 PM.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Why does everyone have to be so pessimistic all of the time?
    Even if they don't abolish the reset timer, they could at least make festival stuff account-wide.
    That's not too much to ask for.

What I would do is combine all festival tokens into a single "Festival Token"

Then I would open a store in Bree, similar to Lalia's market, where there are various vendors from each festival. This store would be open 24/7. (You could even make this store a ViP perk.)

So that way players can purchase whatever rewards they want, whenever they want. An don't have to worry as much about grinding enough tokens during each specific festival.

Edit: I would also remove the daily and festival wrappers.
    Last edited by WhiteWolf21x; Apr 16 2019 at 10:16 PM.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Pewpewmidget View Post
    Why does everyone have to be so pessimistic all of the time?
    Even if they don't abolish the reset timer, they could at least make festival stuff account-wide.
    That's not too much to ask for.
    Expectations comes from learning from history. So any optimism or pessimism usually stems from learning from real life events.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with the argument presented. In fact I used some of these arguments back when the 1-day locks on instances was under discussion. However look at what that gave us.

From all the past experiences in recent history, ash farms in Mordor (being removed when some had a ton of ash and implementing a 10K cap), 1-day locks resulting in favoured loot (even worse than before), removing keys from being earnable in-game but keeping lootboxes and keys in store, putting a 10K cap on even Figments for cosmetics, very low caps on seasoned Festival instances currencies, more and more becoming bound and capped, removing Emp Scroll drops from CoS on lower than 120 etc etc etc. The list could go on. One have to see a pattern.

For any expectations (pessimistic or optimistic) to change one needs at least an equal amount of events proving that the pattern has acctually changed. So far it hasn't and that makes some of us the way we are with our low expectations on any changes suggested. It is in fact realistic to have low expectations at the moment. The proof is in the pudding (I think the saying is). It is unrealistic to have some belief for anything else without any substantial amount of evidence or examples to back that up. That would purely be based on hope and fantasies. I am willing to change my expectations after an extended period of positive changes that acctually turns out to be good and to our benefits as LoTRO players/customers. Changes that would counter over 2 years of alot of negative changes/experiences in many areas. Changes that was presented with a spin that they were for our, due to our requests and for our sake, but turned sour when they hit live and we could see how they worked in reality. Not even being close to what we had requested.

I heard a friend say on Discord that the Mithril Coins to reset and a daily reset timer were introduced in 2012 during, yup you guessed it, Yule.
    Their intention was to get people to buy Mithril Coins to reset the quests in order to have completed enough quests for the questing deeds before the festival was over.
    They received backlash on that idea and therefore only Yule has questing deeds, but the Mithril Coins to reset bull has stuck with everything.
    Before they proposed that idea, every quest had a 3-minute reset timer and were able to be done as many times as anyone wanted.

In conclusion, what I am proposing is to just simply revert to the way how festivals were prior to 2012.
    It will not birth gold sellers/spammers or will break anything.
    Comparing festivals to instance and raid locks is just a stubborn argument.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    One reason they don't do this is because of bots. A festival like the Yule festival is in one area, and a macro-recorder would allow someone to go through all the non-killing and non-theater quests (there is about 7 of those), and then rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat all day long on an auto-bot..... it takes about 15 minutes to do those 7 quests, at 4 tokens a quest = 35 tokens every 15 minutes, 140 tokens per hour, roughly 3,000 tokens per day. 3,000 times the amount of free accounts you can run on one computer (there have been people running a 16-man creep raid on one computer), etc.... the simple math if you happen to have 3 decent computers (which a gold seller in china probably would have), and you could - in theory - make 3,000 x 16 x 3 = 144,000 yule tokens per day. Hell, they could macro the keg emergency quest, and run it every 60 seconds!

And you will start to see the problem: They will buy everything that isn't bound in any way - such as most of the pets - and then start mass-selling them on the AH. People will pay for pets and cosmetics, especially if the festival is over. People create alts, and they want another owl or another white hare or, or, or....

And whoomp, a gold seller is born.

They would only be able to do this if they were to make literally *everything* bound to account, so NO gift boxes, NO selling of anything to other accounts. And that will cause a different group of players to be upset....
    Or limit the tokens to 500 a day, which would cause people who like to hoard tokens for NEXT year to get upset (or to trade for tokens for the next festival), etc...

You can't really please everyone, but I would venture to say that any approach that would allow gold sellers to macro quests all day and sell unbound stuff on the AH.... is definitely the wrong approach. The only way I see this as a possibility is if there is a reasonable cost attached to it. Some tasks and daily quests can be reset for 10 mithril coins. Doing that with yule quests would allow someone that wants tokens quickly to reset their quest a couple of times, but not to the point it is advantageous to macro it. 1 mithril coin would probably still make it lucrative to maco, 10 would be more reasonable.

They could also take the 8 hour approach like they just did with the seasonal instance. Then you can run the quests every 8 hours..... that would still prevent bots, and gives "we the players" 3 times as many token chances a day.
    never thought about it............
    this should never happen i HATE gold sellers!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar