We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    What is The Balrog?
    No, not the Balrog.
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Sep 15 2020 at 02:14 AM.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    OK, ready for the next one.

It originated in Valinor and ended in Moria.
    Time for a new hint:

This is an implement.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.

Time for a new hint:

This is an implement.
    I'm probably wrong but...

What is the original chisel of the First Age we find while hunting Secret Stones?
    Laergwend (Mini) - Gladden dweller!
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy - Ithil
    RIP Ithil
    Nov, 8 2018 - May, 21 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelinarien View Post
    I'm probably wrong but...

What is the original chisel of the First Age we find while hunting Secret Stones?
    That's a Lotro thing, right?
    Remember this is Tolkien Jeopardy.

The Hair of Galadriel that is bound in a Crystal?

She was born on Valinor and Gimli asked for a hair in Lorien to craft a heirlom for his kin.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubgaenger View Post
    The Hair of Galadriel that is bound in a Crystal?

She was born on Valinor and Gimli asked for a hair in Lorien to craft a heirlom for his kin.
    Yes, Galadriel originated in Valinor, but did Gimli have that hair in Moria? The Fellowship had not traveled on their journey that far yet, had they?
    And what gives you the idea that the hairs ended in Moria?

No, that's not the question.

Gandalf's first staff?
    Arenaan | 50 Champion (Snow 2007) Ulderich | 60 Champion (Snowy 2008) Ulderich II | 60 Champion (Eldar 2008) Caeinwyn | 65 Champion (Eldar 2008-2011)
    Angbohr V | 115 Champion (EN 2012-2017) Angbohr/Hateful | 95 Champions (Anor) Angbohr VII | 130 Champion (Ark)

Quote Originally Posted by Angbohr View Post
    Gandalf's first staff?
    Yes Angbohr!

Gandalf's staff.
    It is true that I have no proof that the staff "originated" in Valinor, but I think we can safely assume that.
    We are never told where Gandalf got his clothing, hat and staff, but we can assume that he came over from Valinor fully equipped to operate.

But we are told about the fate of his staff:

‘You cannot pass!’ he said. With a bound the Balrog leaped full upon the bridge. Its whip whirled and hissed. ‘He cannot stand alone!’ cried Aragorn suddenly and ran back along the bridge. ‘Elendil!’ he shouted. ‘I am with you, Gandalf!’ ‘Gondor!’ cried Boromir and leaped after him.
    At that moment Gandalf lifted his staff, and crying aloud he smote the bridge before him. The staff broke asunder and fell from his hand.

J.R.R. Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings (p. 331). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
    Gratz! You once again have earned the honor of wearing the Jeopardy Jacket!

(Jeopardy note: Adding a question mark to the end of a statement is not really "in the form of a question", but I refuse to be quite that picky. The most appropriate response would have been "What happened to Gandalf's first staff?" or, "What is Gandalf's first staff?" Art may be rolling over in his grave, but Alex would grin and run with it.)

How to insult Durin's Folk at their own gates and get away with it.

I know, I just hate these formulae and I'm consciously ignoring them - they reduce my life expectancy.

About the origin of the Staff: there is an essay, the Istari, in Unfinished Tales. A passage within describes their appearance upon disembarking in Lindon, Gandalf is already equipped with his staff. So, either he carved it while at sea, or yeah, it comes from Valinor, which seems to make way more sense.
    Last edited by Angbohr; Sep 19 2020 at 08:34 PM.
    Arenaan | 50 Champion (Snow 2007) Ulderich | 60 Champion (Snowy 2008) Ulderich II | 60 Champion (Eldar 2008) Caeinwyn | 65 Champion (Eldar 2008-2011)
    Angbohr V | 115 Champion (EN 2012-2017) Angbohr/Hateful | 95 Champions (Anor) Angbohr VII | 130 Champion (Ark)

What was the result of Azog's beheading Thror when he entered Moria, & throwing pieces of his body to the crows, & the last of the insult, a pouch containing a few coins of little worth thrown out to the Dwarves?

Quote Originally Posted by kittykatt View Post
    What was the result of Azog's beheading Thror when he entered Moria, & throwing pieces of his body to the crows, & the last of the insult, a pouch containing a few coins of little worth thrown out to the Dwarves?
    A major insult, and more than an insult, yeah. But that resulted in Dain breaking his neck, so he didn't really "get away with it", in the end.

I'm glad he did not get away with it!! How about "The fat cat on the mat"

What are some of Bilbo's words to Thorin just prior to the Battle of Five Armies?

“Dear me! Dear me!” said Bilbo. “I am sure this is all very uncomfortable. You may remember saying that I might choose my own fourteenth share? Perhaps I took it too literally— I have been told that dwarves are sometimes politer in word than in deed. The time was, all the same, when you seemed to think that I had been of some service. Descendant of rats, indeed! Is this all the service of you and your family that I was promised, Thorin? Take it that I have disposed of my share as I wished, and let it go at that!”

Tolkien, J.R.R.. The Hobbit (p. 277). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.

What are some of Bilbo's words to Thorin just prior to the Battle of Five Armies?
    I can see that shots were fired indeed, during that altercation. But Bilbo was answering to an insult cast on him, here. As for the Arkenstone affaire, he was sent away by Thorin, and denied his share, or so things could have gone. In the end, by chance, everything went alright for him, so we might say that he "got away with it". But alas, this is not what I'm referring to.

@Kitty no, no fat cat on the mat either
    Last edited by Angbohr; Sep 23 2020 at 05:51 AM.

Well, time for another try, but I have my doubts about this one also:

When can you call the halls of Erebor "Nasty, clockless, timeless holes"?

“Dear me!” grumbled the hobbit. “More walking and more climbing without breakfast! I wonder how many breakfasts, and other meals, we have missed inside that nasty clockless, timeless hole?” As a matter of fact two nights and the day between had gone by (and not altogether without food) since the dragon smashed the magic door, but Bilbo had quite lost count, and it might have been one night or a week of nights for all he could tell. “Come, come!” said Thorin laughing— his spirits had begun to rise again, and he rattled the precious stones in his pockets. “Don’t call my palace a nasty hole! You wait till it has been cleaned and redecorated!”

Tolkien, J.R.R.. The Hobbit (p. 243). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.
    As an aside...the above wording of this riddle has made it tough to come up with an elegant Jeopardy question.

Not what I'm looking for.

Plus, they were stuck inside the mountain since days, when Bilbo snapped. Doesn't satisfy the "at their own gates" part of the riddle.

But you are on the right track, on the very right track. The insult you came up with and the one I have in my mind are alike. The one I'm referring to is way more serious. Funny is, the one who cast it... got away with it. Possibly, he even got praised for it. Next-level trolling.

As an aside...the above wording of this riddle has made it tough to come up with an elegant Jeopardy question.
    This makes me particularly proud.

The Nazgul, that want to know from Dain, where Bilbo is.

He come more then once to the Gates and Dain wants time to think about it, if he wants to answer him.
    Think at the 3rd time Dain still to refuse to answer. The Nazgul was not amused and tries to threaten to do something, but the Door was keept closed.

While he let the Nazgul return, he let Bilbo gets a warning, that something is looking for him.

Sadly, that's not it.

The Messenger from Mordor, on that occasion, was quite polite. There was a "small" threat in that conversation, yea, but Dain - or the Dwarves - were never insulted.

I can give these hints, although, imo, they will almost give the answer away: this insult was never spoken, the Dwarves didn't get offended, and well... no one would ever say that the Dwarves were insulted in plain daylight.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23