We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28
Results 676 to 693 of 693
  1. #676
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Here's another:
    Who is Ulmo, Lord of Waters?
    No, not what I was thinking of.
    Think very literally
    Rohirrim! To the King!
    There's some good in this world, Mister Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

  2. #677
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Horsell Common
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Samwise_Sotall View Post
    No, not what I was thinking of.
    Think very literally
    Who is Helm Hammerhand? He did have his very own "Deep," after all.

    I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

  3. #678
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Who is Helm Hammerhand? He did have his very own "Deep," after all.
    You've got it! Well done, you have the jacket!
    Rohirrim! To the King!
    There's some good in this world, Mister Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

  4. #679
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Horsell Common
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Samwise_Sotall View Post
    You've got it! Well done, you have the jacket!
    Wow, that’s a hat-trick!

    Here we go:

    Down, down in the deep, deep dark,
    A crossed and tangled journey to the Post Office,
    The flap of flat feet
    And the clap! snap! crush! smash! swish! smack!
    Watch where you lay your head...

    I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

  5. #680
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Under the stairs Bonus Points: 3.14159
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Wow, that’s a hat-trick!

    Here we go:

    Down, down in the deep, deep dark,
    A crossed and tangled journey to the Post Office,
    The flap of flat feet
    And the clap! snap! crush! smash! swish! smack!
    Watch where you lay your head...
    What is Goblin Town?

    I don't grasp the connections to the Post Office, or "lay your head", but there's my question?

    PS: I know the feeling of completing a hat-trick. It's fun and not-so-fun at the same time. Be careful you don't mix up your answers with your questions and your riddles with your puzzles and your hints with your clues....
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!" ...Mr. McCartney

  6. #681
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Horsell Common
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    What is Goblin Town?

    I don't grasp the connections to the Post Office, or "lay your head", but there's my question?

    PS: I know the feeling of completing a hat-trick. It's fun and not-so-fun at the same time. Be careful you don't mix up your answers with your questions and your riddles with your puzzles and your hints with your clues....


    You got it!

    “It was deep, deep, dark, such as only goblins that have taken to living in the heart of the mountains can see through. The passages there were crossed and tangled in all directions, but the goblins knew their way, as well as you do to the nearest post-office; and the way went down and down, and it was most horribly stuffy.”

    “It sounded truly terrifying. The walls echoed to the clap, snap! and the crush, smash! and to the ugly laughter of their ho, ho! my lad! The general meaning of the song was only too plain; for now the goblins took out whips and whipped them with a swish, smack!,”

    Excerpt From

    The Hobbit
    J. R. R. Tolkien

    As for “lay your head” - the dwarves definitely did this in the wrong place before they were kidnapped

    I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

  7. #682
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Under the stairs Bonus Points: 3.14159
    Posts
    4,779
    OK, I have a new one ready...

    It was a year for "proper" ale.
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!" ...Mr. McCartney

  8. #683
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    OK, I have a new one ready...
    It was a year for "proper" ale.
    When was 1420?

    "The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn after a good pint of well-earned ale put down his mug with a sigh:'Ah! That was proper 1420, that was!'"
    -Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien
    Rohirrim! To the King!
    There's some good in this world, Mister Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

  9. #684
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Under the stairs Bonus Points: 3.14159
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Samwise_Sotall View Post
    When was 1420?

    "The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn after a good pint of well-earned ale put down his mug with a sigh:'Ah! That was proper 1420, that was!'"
    -Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien
    Bingo! (Oh, wait...that word may be copywrited)

    Shazam! (no, wrong genre)

    Well, grats always works...so,

    Grats! You have won the Jacket (again) Samwise.
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!" ...Mr. McCartney

  10. #685
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    72
    Thanks Bo!

    Equus master’s most dear kin
    Rohirrim! To the King!
    There's some good in this world, Mister Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

  11. #686
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Under the stairs Bonus Points: 3.14159
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Samwise_Sotall View Post
    Equus master’s most dear kin
    Who is Eowyn?

    I remember a line from The Two Towers in which Gimli refers to Eomer as "Horse Master".

    Equus Master = Horse Master?

    If that's the case, then I think the equus master's most dear kin would be his sister, Eowyn.

    (Unless you mean his drunken cousin Eobelch)
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!" ...Mr. McCartney

  12. #687
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Who is Eowyn?
    I remember a line from The Two Towers in which Gimli refers to Eomer as "Horse Master".
    Equus Master = Horse Master?
    If that's the case, then I think the equus master's most dear kin would be his sister, Eowyn.
    Well, you got the answer right, although you came at it differently than I did.
    When Theoden is slain, he wishes to see Eowyn, calling her "dearer than daughter". That's who I meant as "Horse Master" but your line of thought is equally valid, so well done!
    The jacket returns to you.
    Rohirrim! To the King!
    There's some good in this world, Mister Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

  13. #688
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Under the stairs Bonus Points: 3.14159
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Samwise_Sotall View Post
    Well, you got the answer right, although you came at it differently than I did.
    When Theoden is slain, he wishes to see Eowyn, calling her "dearer than daughter". That's who I meant as "Horse Master" but your line of thought is equally valid, so well done!
    The jacket returns to you.
    Yeah. That's interesting isn't it.

    I have been doing these Trivia things for a few years and there have been several occasions when someone came up with a different answer than what I had intended.
    But...when I took a second look at it (through their point of view) it sometimes was actually a better answer, or so equivalent as to make no discernable difference.

    Hey...the Jacket still fits (I've lost a few lbs recently).


    Now, on to the next riddle:

    This was chanted to the small audience to lift up their hearts and perhaps bolster their courage.
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!" ...Mr. McCartney

  14. #689
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Under the stairs Bonus Points: 3.14159
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Now, on to the next riddle:

    This was chanted to the small audience to lift up their hearts and perhaps bolster their courage.
    It's been a few days. Must be time for a fresh bit of bait.

    Here's a hint:

    Outdoors, at night, around a campfire, in Autumn.
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!" ...Mr. McCartney

  15. #690
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    It's been a few days. Must be time for a fresh bit of bait.

    Here's a hint:

    Outdoors, at night, around a campfire, in Autumn.
    What is the Song of Beren and Luthien?

    Just discovered this thread too
    It was sung by Strider to keep up their spirits up when he and the hobbits were camping near Amon Sul, pursed by the Nazgul. And I think Strider mentioned that he was chanting it in Westron, which didn't capture the elegance of the form. Small audience is a good pun, hehe.

  16. #691
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Under the stairs Bonus Points: 3.14159
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by AConyl View Post
    What is the Song of Beren and Luthien?

    Just discovered this thread too
    It was sung by Strider to keep up their spirits up when he and the hobbits were camping near Amon Sul, pursed by the Nazgul. And I think Strider mentioned that he was chanting it in Westron, which didn't capture the elegance of the form. Small audience is a good pun, hehe.
    That's right!

    You got it...sort of. That's exactly the passage I am looking for, but the actual title (in the Fellowship text anyway) is The Tale Of Tunuviel.

    So, I am sure Alex would have agreed.

    The Jacket is yours! (and it's warm too...we need that these days).

    We await your answer.
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!" ...Mr. McCartney

  17. #692
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    19
    Hm well if we want to get technical, tale is not capitalised, so I took it to mean a tale about Tinúviel. I don't think it's ever named though.
    Onto the riddle:

    Farmers and gardeners, teachers of men. Enslaved, destroyed or lost?

  18. #693
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Under the stairs Bonus Points: 3.14159
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by AConyl View Post
    Hm well if we want to get technical, tale is not capitalised, so I took it to mean a tale about Tinúviel. I don't think it's ever named though.
    Onto the riddle:

    Farmers and gardeners, teachers of men. Enslaved, destroyed or lost?
    What are the Entwives?
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Yesterday at 05:20 AM.
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!" ...Mr. McCartney

 

 
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload