We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Scholar - Struggles with Gaining Resources for Apprentice Mastery?

I'm currently playing a Dwarf that hails from Thorins Hall, who's reached level 22 on the Anor server. Before arriving in Breeland, loot or relics with the necessary crafting components (Aged Scrap of Text or Dim candles) were rare. I discovered enough to advance to mastery and unlock the Novice tier, but only enough to gain a minimal progress with Apprentice mastery. That of course is impeding my ability to gain Novice mastery and then Expert mastery. Now that I'm adventuring in the Old Forest, Breeland and the Lone Lands, there's no such resource drops. Meanwhile Worn Tablet Fragments and Rushlight Candles in Breeland have been a dime a dozen. I'm also already coming upon a decent quantity of Cracked Dwarf-carvings and Beeswax candles. Well it would be an exaggeration to say I've found as many sapphire shards as aged scraps of text, the difference in quantities isn't nearly what one would expect. I should probably add that I always adventure with my relic tracker enabled.

So I'm wondering where I'm supposed to adventure, or what I'm supposed to do to acquire Aged Scraps of Text and Dim Candles? Is there a merchant somewhere that sells them or is the auction house my only option - hope not because when I've checked costs are ridiculous. I'm coming away with the impression that my starting area and close vicinities may very well have been broken for these types of drops. I'm a n00b to the game having only played it since November, so I'm hoping I just missed something simple and there's an easy way to obtain these resources. I've advanced my main PC at level cap to Supreme Master Prospector and Supreme Master Jeweler, without any of this difficulty; albeit Platinum deposits proved to be a challenge.

If anyone could provide some answers or suggestions, I'd very much appreciate hearing them.

Yeah, they can be a bit of a pain to get. Best bet is to look here - https://elannah.blogspot.com/2013/02...lar-stuff.html - and then just spend some time running round all the places marked on the maps until you have enough. As you say, AH tends to be a bit ridiculous re prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Oh wow what an incredible resource - exactly the info I was looking for! I hadn't even considered making dyes - doh!
    I got my mount a few levels ago, so I don't mind taking some scenic rides around those lands. What I really need to do though, is get to Rivendell so I can start progressing in the Scholars Guild. That's something I didn't start until I was in my mid-30s with my Tinkerer and I don't want to repeat that mistake. While getting to Rivendell was doable with my Lore-master and polar bear at such low levels, I'm skeptical my Runekeeper could survive it. I've gotten skilled at riding-&-avoiding though..so maybe...

[Edit]Yep...looking at those maps on that website, I can see the relic spots in Breeland are those I've done next to no adventuring in. <sigh>
    Last edited by Kronovan; Apr 15 2019 at 03:20 PM.

The easiest way to get to Rivendell, if you haven't already done it, is the Quest that Gandalf has in the Prancing Pony (I think it's a level 20 quest). He will transport you straight there and, if you cancel the quest when you arrive in Rivendell, you can use him again later for the same trip. Just remember to have a way back - milestone at Bree or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    The easiest way to get to Rivendell, if you haven't already done it, is the Quest that Gandalf has in the Prancing Pony (I think it's a level 20 quest). He will transport you straight there and, if you cancel the quest when you arrive in Rivendell, you can use him again later for the same trip....
    Unfortunately I just met Gandalf for the 1st time and he sent me on a quest to meet with a ranger in northern Breeland, who in turn sent me on a quest to the lone lands. So IIRC, it's going to be some quests before he transports me to Rivendell. I am in a Kinship with some Hunters though, so maybe it's possible for one of them to transport me?

I have 16 characters on one account & most have crafted their way at least past where you are, couple even at the top tiers, & I had not nearly as much trouble getting materials for them all it seems EXCEPT the scholar, it is the hardest one to level!! I do go to the wiki for a LOT of info, it is my go-to place to find out anything! Glad you have found some helpful people to point you in the right direction. If you let us know what server you are on, I am sure some of us could help you. i know I am always willing to at least trade stuff! Welcome to Middle-earth!!

The beauty (and curse sometimes) of being a Scholar is that more often than not, nodes are inside/close to ruins which are a perfect place for mob headquarters.
    Or in enemy camps. Or in daily instances that take the longest time.

Follow Elannah's blog and slaughter humanoid mobs who are more likely to drop mats and one-shot recipes. Just don't forget to turn relic tracker on like I did when I started
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

General rule of thumb, is Ruins = Resources, although you also pick up a lot from humanoid mob drops - goblins, orcs, dourhands etc; in fact, I dont remember having any issues, just killed my way to getting the resources and picked up the mats as an afterthought.

Be grateful you arent a forester/woodworker in Forochel.

Thanks for all the tips - much appreciated. Using the maps on Elannah's blog last night, I managed to advance more than 2/3rds towards Apprentice mastery with just one relic excursion. I also picked up 2 dye recipes and 3/4s of the ingredients for gold dye; just need to finds some of that ever allusive yarrow I'm currently questing in the Lone Lands and are fairly certain it's a region where I've previously come upon that herb. I'm confident I'll achieve full mastery tonight.

I'm playing on the Anor legendary server.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    General rule of thumb, is Ruins = Resources, although you also pick up a lot from humanoid mob drops - goblins, orcs, dourhands etc; in fact, I dont remember having any issues, just killed my way to getting the resources and picked up the mats as an afterthought.
    Agreed. Farming the goblins and dour hands in Ered Luin always does the trick, and you pick up the slayer deeds at the same time. Just move out of the starter area to do it and farm the goblin camps near Noglond and the dwarf camps north of Gondamon.

Also Kronovan, if you level up your farming alongside scholar you’ll get loooadds of dye ingredients. Not the yarrow, but lily-of-the-valley leaves, onion skins, strawberries etc. And what’s more there is no searching for ingredients as you can buy everything you need from the supplier including the Rivendell and Lorien soil that guarantees 100% critical success when growing fields.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Apr 16 2019 at 11:19 AM.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    ...Also Kronovan, if you level up your farming alongside scholar you’ll get loooadds of dye ingredients. Not the yarrow, but lily-of-the-valley leaves, onion skins, strawberries etc. And what’s more there is no searching for ingredients as you can buy everything you need from the supplier including the Rivendell and Lorien soil that guarantees 100% critical success when growing fields.
    Ideally that's something I want to do, but my goal is to have my Dwarf Runekeeper near level cap on the Anor server when Siege of Mirkwood releases. That's slightly less than 3 months from now, so based on how long it took me to get my Lore-master to cap I doubt I'll have the time to advance 2 crafts. As well, while my Runekeeper-Scholar is another Alt that I will eventually take to career end, they're more of a support for my Loremaster-Jeweler so I can produce crafting journals for them. IMO it's a sort of dilemma SSG has placed on new players on the legendary server with the relatively tight windows between expansion releases. As a n00b I want to dabble in many things and explore different character races and classes, but I still need to advance my main PC to stay with the pack if I want to easily find fellowships for instances and raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronovan View Post
    Ideally that's something I want to do, but my goal is to have my Dwarf Runekeeper near level cap on the Anor server when Siege of Mirkwood releases. That's slightly less than 3 months from now, so based on how long it took me to get my Lore-master to cap I doubt I'll have the time to advance 2 crafts. As well, while my Runekeeper-Scholar is another Alt that I will eventually take to career end, they're more of a support for my Loremaster-Jeweler so I can produce crafting journals for them. IMO it's a sort of dilemma SSG has placed on new players on the legendary server with the relatively tight windows between expansion releases. As a n00b I want to dabble in many things and explore different character races and classes, but I still need to advance my main PC to stay with the pack if I want to easily find fellowships for instances and raids.
    If it helps, I recently ranked up the crafting on my hobbit minstrel. Going from nothing to artisan mastery, I gained five levels from 20-25 in about two evenings, and that’s without blue XP. I farmed about 100 fields each of lily-of-the-valley, amaranth, green onions, bluebottles and strawberries. I was then able to leave him sorting at the workbench whilst I went and did something else, just going back to repair the tools now and again. It’s a great way to gain levels fast, especially if you have VIP XP and spend destiny points on XP boosts as well. Two birds, one stone
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Last night I managed to advance my Rune-keeper's Scholar crafting to Journeyman Master. I'd gotten heaps of Worn Tablet Fragments from drops, so mastering the Journeyman tier was done in a matter of minutes. I also bought the Rivendell map, journeyed to the Scholar Guild rep there and got my Expert recipes for guild advancement. My problem now is that I'm questing in low-mid level 20 areas and the Dwarf Carving drops there are rare. I'm hoping that will change in a few levels (IIRC my Lore-master frequently had them in loot) and if not I always have Elannah's maps.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    If it helps, I recently ranked up the crafting on my hobbit minstrel. Going from nothing to artisan mastery, I gained five levels from 20-25 in about two evenings, and that’s without blue XP. I farmed about 100 fields each of lily-of-the-valley, amaranth, green onions, bluebottles and strawberries. I was then able to leave him sorting at the workbench whilst I went and did something else, just going back to repair the tools now and again. It’s a great way to gain levels fast, especially if you have VIP XP and spend destiny points on XP boosts as well. Two birds, one stone
    Thanks for the info. Knowing very little about farming, a 100 fields reads like a lot of crafting & time. I'm not even sure how or where you'd get a 100 fields, as the farming areas I've seen are only a few fields?