We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Sorting for moving house and found my LORO disc, but no key?

Hi all, posting here cos I really don't know where is best to post. As title I just found my old LOTRO disc for PC but the leaflet is not there and there's no sign of a game key. Will I be able to use it or not?

Also on the box it says play online for free - no monthly fees. I'm sure I remember having to pay when I last played (which was a lot of years ago!) so has that changed and can we now access every level and area free of extra charge?

I'm looking forward to dusting off my brain cells and playing again so long as there really are no monthly fees. As i'm retired now money is somewhat tighter.

Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley33 View Post
    Hi all, posting here cos I really don't know where is best to post. As title I just found my old LOTRO disc for PC but the leaflet is not there and there's no sign of a game key. Will I be able to use it or not?

Also on the box it says play online for free - no monthly fees. I'm sure I remember having to pay when I last played (which was a lot of years ago!) so has that changed and can we now access every level and area free of extra charge?

I'm looking forward to dusting off my brain cells and playing again so long as there really are no monthly fees. As i'm retired now money is somewhat tighter.

Thanks for any advice.
    Hi,

The game is now free to play (has been for a long time) and you don’t need a subscription to play. You just need to download the client either from the website or from Steam. You can technically go anywhere on the map and level all the way up to cap for free, however you only get all the quests free for the first four regions and have to either subscribe or buy quest packs to access quests and easily level up after that. You can play totally free til about level 30ish (current cap is 120). It is possible to play the entire game completely free, but it involves grinding out LOTRO points by completing deeds, such as defeating x number of a certain mob or discovering all the key locations in an area. You then use the points to buy the next region you want to unlock etc.

There are loads of threads about this topic but it usually is easiest to read this page on the wiki to understand how it all works:

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Types
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley33 View Post

Thanks for any advice.
    Game has been Free to play for some years, although there are now "Legendary" servers which are subscription only and currently capped at L60 I believe; the disk isnt going to help you as the program on there is far too out of date; download the latest version via the menu option at the top of the Forum page.

If you can remember your account details, your characters and stuff should still be there; if they are on a server that has since been closed, you can transfer them for free to a different server.

I am not sure what your status would be, if your previous subscription would class you as a premium player or not.

You can still subscribe (called VIP), on a monthly basis, on the F2P servers, it gives extras and perks some people enjoy, and unlocks a lot of traits that cost extra on F2P accounts; best of all, most of these stay unlocked after you stop being VIP.

I expect you have a newer PC than the one you used to use; since the downloader expects you to have certain resources many modern OS dont have, you should probably have a good read of [INSTALL] New LotRO Installs - One Guide to Rule Them All. . .

Do not bother with that old disc. It is so ancient that the patching would take longer than a download and patch.

Use the Download link at the top of this page to download and install. Start up to patch it.

Use the guide at this link for installing. It'll help you prevent any problems with DX9 and C libraries.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All

Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Do not bother with that old disc. It is so ancient that the patching would take longer than a download and patch.

Use the Download link at the top of this page to download and install. Start up to patch it.

Use the guide at this link for installing. It'll help you prevent any problems with DX9 and C libraries.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All

Have fun!
    There seems to be an echo in here.

in here.

here.

r

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    I am not sure what your status would be, if your previous subscription would class you as a premium player or not.
    Yes he would be a Premium Player as long as he plays on his old account. Any account that had a sub at whatever point, goes to Premium. That's how it was for me after I stopped subbing in 2010 or so and didn't come back until the game went F2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    Yes he would be a Premium Player as long as he plays on his old account. Any account that had a sub at whatever point, goes to Premium. That's how it was for me after I stopped subbing in 2010 or so and didn't come back until the game went F2p.
    Thanks for that, I wasnt a player prior to F2P, I only discovered the game a few months afterwards.