We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Elendilmir/NZ
    Posts
    11

    64bit Client questions

    What will a 64bit client generally due in terms of game performance? Cheers. Will it generally fix our lag and fps drops on beastly good PCs?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Morwyn333 View Post
    What will a 64bit client generally due in terms of game performance? Cheers. Will it generally fix our lag and fps drops on beastly good PCs?
    Performance-wise a 64-bit client will probably not help at all. Some things may get a tiny bit faster, and some a tiny bit slower, but overall it shouldn't affect performance at all.

    What it should help with is stability. The number of crashes due to the game using too much memory should drop significantly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Morwyn333 View Post
    What will a 64bit client generally due in terms of game performance? Cheers. Will it generally fix our lag and fps drops on beastly good PCs?
    FPS drops should improve, as they are mostly caused by too much gfx information - and handing that data off to the gfx card should help the game chug along.

    Just read there is a server move underway soon; hopefully this is to better servers and will mean lag and stutter will also be reduced.

  4. #4
    Anybody who knows the answer to that isn't allowed to tell, so here you'll get guesses at best.

    Mine: I'd guess that some of the hitches might be lessend, removed even, but most will remain he same.
    I surely hope Yarbro's guess that the new client wil hand off more work to the graphics card is true. It would help a lot, but I won't bet on it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by OghranNasty View Post
    Anybody who knows the answer to that isn't allowed to tell, so here you'll get guesses at best.

    Mine: I'd guess that some of the hitches might be lessend, removed even, but most will remain he same.
    I surely hope Yarbro's guess that the new client wil hand off more work to the graphics card is true. It would help a lot, but I won't bet on it.
    The hand off is mentioned by Cordo in one of his recent answers about the 64bit development work.

    TBH, it is something that should have been done TEN YEARS AGO, or even before the game left beta, as by that time discrete gfx cards were already mainstream; however the game code engine predates that by several years, back to when Matrox ruled the waves, and the average gfx card had 8-16MB of VRAM.

  6. #6
    64 bit client means a massive increase in available memory address. What this could mean is:

    -fewer crashes due to out of memory situations
    -less need for aggressive memory management, which can allow more assets to be retained in memory rather than released then reloaded from disk
    -more or higher resolution texture files, since memory limits are no longer an issue
    -less stuttering or hitching while moving around since a wider area of textures can be loaded while zoning into a region, rather than streaming them in only as needed

    All of this depends completely on whether or not the game code can be altered to take advantage of the larger memory address. It also depends on the clients hardware capabilities. Obviously someone with only 4 GB of RAM will see no difference at all, whereas someone with more than 4GB could see improvements right away.

    Initially I would expect only the reduction in crashing to be noticeable, since that does not need any additional coding. Then SSG can decide where to go from there.

    edit: Having been through two other games (GW2 and ESO) that introduced 64 bit clients well after launch, I can also tell you that you can expect it to be quite buggy for the first little while. And since for those two games it was a few months until the 64 bit version was basically perfect, I would imagine it will probably be much longer for the skeleton crew at SSG to get it working at the same level of the 32-bit version.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by danno8 View Post
    .........
    All of this depends completely on whether or not the game code can be altered to take advantage of the larger memory address. It also depends on the clients hardware capabilities......
    The other part this, DirectX version.

    Game currently uses DX11, but DX12 works much better on 64-bit multithreading machines.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Coimbra
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by danno8 View Post
    64 bit client means a massive increase in available memory address. What this could mean is:

    -fewer crashes due to out of memory situations
    -less need for aggressive memory management, which can allow more assets to be retained in memory rather than released then reloaded from disk
    -more or higher resolution texture files, since memory limits are no longer an issue
    -less stuttering or hitching while moving around since a wider area of textures can be loaded while zoning into a region, rather than streaming them in only as needed

    All of this depends completely on whether or not the game code can be altered to take advantage of the larger memory address. It also depends on the clients hardware capabilities. Obviously someone with only 4 GB of RAM will see no difference at all, whereas someone with more than 4GB could see improvements right away.

    Initially I would expect only the reduction in crashing to be noticeable, since that does not need any additional coding. Then SSG can decide where to go from there.

    edit: Having been through two other games (GW2 and ESO) that introduced 64 bit clients well after launch, I can also tell you that you can expect it to be quite buggy for the first little while. And since for those two games it was a few months until the 64 bit version was basically perfect, I would imagine it will probably be much longer for the skeleton crew at SSG to get it working at the same level of the 32-bit version.
    What do you mean with SSG's skeleton crew? I have been a bit disconnected from lotro, although I plan on returning to the game today or tomorrow, when my computer gets back from cleaning
    The Champion of Eriador, Man-at-Arms Melvargil Eaglewing, Lord of the Ashen Wastes.

    Geek Pub, Evernight

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Aftaminas View Post
    What do you mean with SSG's skeleton crew? I have been a bit disconnected from lotro, although I plan on returning to the game today or tomorrow, when my computer gets back from cleaning
    There are nearly as many people left unsacked in the WhiteHouse as there are working on the game at the SSG offices.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Coimbra
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    There are nearly as many people left unsacked in the WhiteHouse as there are working on the game at the SSG offices.
    I guess I should start a Google Alert, for any new news from SSG
    The Champion of Eriador, Man-at-Arms Melvargil Eaglewing, Lord of the Ashen Wastes.

    Geek Pub, Evernight

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload