We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Because I don't play my Captain very often ...

... I'm only now getting around to re-traiting her since the last trait wipe, which was how many months ago?

...and I don't remember with any clarity what traits she had (mostly red, I think) and what skills she had. I've tried to re-traiting (again, mostly red) and recovering her skills. I think I now have a reasonable collection of useful skills ...

but I used to have one that caused her to swing her sword in a circle, dealing wide-ranging death all around. Note that my SCA experience tells me this won't work in Real Life (tm), but this is a game, and in-game it was fairly effective and looked cool. But I can't remember its name.

What is that skill called, and what traits does it need to have, in order to make it available?

Also, what is the skill that designates someone as your Shield-brother? And how do I trait to get that? I'm perfectly willing to re-trait from scratch, having done it already twice in as many days.

Thanks in advance.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

while i'm probably one of the worst ppl to ask about captain: shield brother, in red, should be sword-brother. and it should be in your skills panel (k) if not somewhere already on your hotbars

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    ... I'm only now getting around to re-traiting her since the last trait wipe, which was how many months ago?

...and I don't remember with any clarity what traits she had (mostly red, I think) and what skills she had. I've tried to re-traiting (again, mostly red) and recovering her skills. I think I now have a reasonable collection of useful skills ...

but I used to have one that caused her to swing her sword in a circle, dealing wide-ranging death all around. Note that my SCA experience tells me this won't work in Real Life (tm), but this is a game, and in-game it was fairly effective and looked cool. But I can't remember its name.

What is that skill called, and what traits does it need to have, in order to make it available?

Also, what is the skill that designates someone as your Shield-brother? And how do I trait to get that? I'm perfectly willing to re-trait from scratch, having done it already twice in as many days.

Thanks in advance.
    Welcome back to captain! Love this class, it is so much fun to play and really versatile.

Blade/song/watchful shield brother are automatically bestowed at level 10. Blade brother is in red line, song in blue and shield in yellow. There are several skills you can’t use, like inspire, if you don’t have this skill active, so you either need a friend with you or your herald summoned all the time.

As for the spinny skill, blue line has gallant display which has a spin in the animation. It doesn’t do much damage and it is only single target, but it looks cool and heals the fellowship.

Other than that, pressing attack (any trait line) is the only strike that hits more than one enemy, but it is more like two big frontal swings than a spin. You have to be battle-readied to use it, so use it after battle shout or shadow’s lament.

Routing cry is also AoE, but it is a shout not a strike. You can do some AoE bleed damage with grave wound in red line, but generally speaking the captain isn’t the best class for AoE. It is good enough, in red line to take down two or three landscape mobs at a time, but struggles with many more than that.

For all I know, there might have been another old skill that had a spin in it, but if so it was a long time ago, before I started playing
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Apr 12 2019 at 03:29 PM.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Welcome back to captain! Love this class, it is so much fun to play and really versatile.
    Thank you. I actually made a Captain because I like pet classes ... I have seven LMs. And my Captain is very atypical for her class. Captains are supposed to be fellowship leaders, right? Mine solos or duos.

Blade/song/watchful shield brother are automatically bestowed at level 10. Blade brother is in red line, song in blue and shield in yellow. There are several skills you can’t use, like inspire, if you don’t have this skill active, so you either need a friend with you or your herald summoned all the time.
    Right. I have my Archer summoned all the time, just as my LMs have their Onyx Lynx summoned all the time.

As for the spinny skill, blue line has gallant display which has a spin in the animation. It doesn’t do much damage and it is only single target, but it looks cool and heals the fellowship.
    Turns out I have that skill, and you're right: it doesn't do much damage but it looks cool.

Other than that, pressing attack (any trait line) is the only strike that hits more than one enemy, but it is more like two big frontal swings than a spin. You have to be battle-readied to use it, so use it after battle shout or shadow’s lament.

Routing cry is also AoE, but it is a shout not a strike. You can do some AoE bleed damage with grave wound in red line, but generally speaking the captain isn’t the best class for AoE. It is good enough, in red line to take down two or three landscape mobs at a time, but struggles with many more than that.

For all I know, there might have been another old skill that had a spin in it, but if so it was a long time ago, before I started playing
    Thanks.

My memory of the skills I used to have is (as I indicated) vague by now, but I seem to recall that I had a row of skills that went: 1.Battle-shout, which gives Battle-readied State; 2. Attack, the Archer's basic shot; 3 and 4, two skills that softened up what I was about to fight, one for single target and one for multiple targets; 5, Blade of Elendil.

Can anyone tell me what the 3 and 4 skills were?

Also, what's the difference between Battle-ready State and Battle-hardened State, which Blade of Elendil requires? It may have been enabled by either the skills 3 or 4, described above, and which I don't seem to have at present.

Thanks, everybody; I will probably have yet more questions as I try to get my Captain back on her metaphorical feet.

Its in German, but the Pictures should help.

HM Guide - Was lange waehrt wird endlich gut (2016-11-11) U19
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...016-11-11)-U19

A bit Aged, but the mechanics are still the same.

Yu are Looking for Pressing Attacks, you have to use the Battle Shout (followed by Sure Strike for the Buff) then PA (or Devasting Blow).

Quote Originally Posted by Laubgaenger View Post
    Its in German, but the Pictures should help.

HM Guide - Was lange waehrt wird endlich gut (2016-11-11) U19
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...016-11-11)-U19

A bit Aged, but the mechanics are still the same.

Yu are Looking for Pressing Attacks, you have to use the Battle Shout (followed by Sure Strike for the Buff) then PA (or Devasting Blow).
    Vielen Dank! I'll look them up. My German is kind of rusty, but I have a dictionary ...

My standard attack rotation (in red line) to make the most of each of the buffs goes:

1. Telling mark (+5% damage)
    2. Battle shout (grants battle-readied state)
    3. sure strike (mastery buff, only works in battle-readied)
    4. cutting attack (1xbleed)
    5. grave wound (2xbleeds; use second because you get an AoE bleed after cutting attack if you have taken the trait)
    6. devastating blow (big hit and grants battle-hardened)
    7. inspire (quick heal while waiting for blade of Elendil to open up)
    8. Blade of Elendil
    9. shadow’s lament (massive hit buffed by telling mark and blade of Elendil and renews battle-hardened state)
    10. Back to step 3 and repeat

My skills sit on the main bar in exactly this order. There isn’t much on normal landscape that isn’t dead by the end of the first rotation TBH.

I add in the banners/time of need/oathbreakers etc. if the fight looks like it is going to be a bit tougher. Throw in pressing attack in place of devastating blow and add in routing cry if there are multiple bad guys.

Edit: I do play in groups fairly often, but do a lot of soloing due to time commitments - I can never really plan to be online at the right time. I find the class great for soloing, and not too slow despite what folks often say. Duo-wise I think a two-captain red/yellow tag-team would be fun
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Apr 12 2019 at 07:00 PM.

My standard attack rotation (in red line) to make the most of each of the buffs goes:

1. Telling mark (+5% damage)
    2. Battle shout (grants battle-readied state)
    3. sure strike (mastery buff, only works in battle-readied)
    4. cutting attack (1xbleed)
    5. grave wound (2xbleeds; use second because you get an AoE bleed after cutting attack if you have taken the trait)
    6. devastating blow (big hit and grants battle-hardened)
    7. inspire (quick heal while waiting for blade of Elendil to open up)
    8. Blade of Elendil
    9. shadow’s lament (massive hit buffed by telling mark and blade of Elendil and renews battle-hardened state)
    10. Back to step 3 and repeat

My skills sit on the main bar in exactly this order. There isn’t much on normal landscape that isn’t dead by the end of the first rotation TBH.

I add in the banners/time of need/oathbreakers etc. if the fight looks like it is going to be a bit tougher. Throw in pressing attack in place of devastating blow and add in routing cry if there are multiple bad guys.

Edit: I do play in groups fairly often, but do a lot of soloing due to time commitments - I can never really plan to be online at the right time. I find the class great for soloing, and not too slow despite what folks often say. Duo-wise I think a two-captain red/yellow tag-team would be fun
    Thank you, sir. I've just set up my bottom row as you've outlined. (I had to find Telling Mark and train it, but I had several trait points left over in case of need.) I have to go out right after breakfast, but when I get home I'll try out your sequence.

Question: where do you put "time of need/oathbreakers/etc)? On the next bar up? As to the banners, is that the same as putting up a herald instead of an archer? (I have never tried using a herald; they look so silly, hitting mobs with their banners, as if they were participating in an anti-war demonstration back in the 1960s. Been there, saw that.)

Thank you, sir. I've just set up my bottom row as you've outlined. (I had to find Telling Mark and train it, but I had several trait points left over in case of need.) I have to go out right after breakfast, but when I get home I'll try out your sequence.

Question: where do you put "time of need/oathbreakers/etc)? On the next bar up? As to the banners, is that the same as putting up a herald instead of an archer? (I have never tried using a herald; they look so silly, hitting mobs with their banners, as if they were participating in an anti-war demonstration back in the 1960s. Been there, saw that.)
    Happy to help! Hope it works for you.

The banner skill is separate to the herald. It is a banner that you throw down with an area of effect for the fellowship. You get a different one in each line: blue is a heal over time, red buffs your damage and yellow increases incoming healing. The banner herald also gives a buff, and confusingly, your class item (slotted in the ranged slot) is also a standard which gives a damage/morale/power buff. I know what you mean about the silly heralds, but if you go to the class trainer and buy the oathbreaker or pilgrim herald skill, they look a bit more convincing. The oathbreaker herald is especially cool as he can float over obstacles like water.

I keep my buff skills (banner/time of need/oathbreaker’s) on the left, above the bar. The standard is buff number one as it is the one with the shortest cool down and I use it most often. There are also a couple of buffs related to your blade-brother which I keep there. Heals I keep on the right, but that isn’t just for captain; I put heals in the same place for all my characters so I can find them easily in a pinch.

Breakfast eh? According to the time on your post, you made it at 4.38pm, which is a little late even for second breakfast , so I’m guessing you’re across the pond somewhere. It’s 8.20pm here now so you probably aren’t back yet and hopefully you’ll get this before you log on.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Apr 14 2019 at 04:21 PM.

Happy to help! Hope it works for you.

The banner skill is separate to the herald. It is a banner that you throw down with an area of effect for the fellowship. You get a different one in each line: blue is a heal over time, red buffs your damage and yellow increases incoming healing. The banner herald also gives a buff, and confusingly, your class item (slotted in the ranged slot) is also a standard which gives a damage/morale/power buff. I know what you mean about the silly heralds, but if you go to the class trainer and buy the oathbreaker or pilgrim herald skill, they look a bit more convincing. The oathbreaker herald is especially cool as he can float over obstacles like water.

I keep my buff skills (banner/time of need/oathbreaker’s) on the left, above the bar. The standard is buff number one as it is the one with the shortest cool down and I use it most often. There are also a couple of buffs related to your blade-brother which I keep there. Heals I keep on the right, but that isn’t just for captain; I put heals in the same place for all my characters so I can find them easily in a pinch.

Breakfast eh? According to the time on your post, you made it at 4.38pm, which is a little late even for second breakfast , so I’m guessing you’re across the pond somewhere. It’s 8.20pm here now so you probably aren’t back yet and hopefully you’ll get this before you log on.
    No, I'm in California, and it was either about 8:30 or 9:30 a.m. PDT. (I was not looking at the clock.) That's probably where the 4.38 comes from, I think it's UTC.

I took my Captain out to the Harlond instance this afternoon and did very nicely; I defeated everything I went after, including the trolls. This may, in part, have been because I'm level 117 and all the mobs in Harlond are level 100-102 ... including the trolls.

Only one problem: I set up my bottom bar as you outlined, and everything worked, *except* that the sequence didn't enable Blade of Elendil. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong here?

No, I'm in California, and it was either about 8:30 or 9:30 a.m. PDT. (I was not looking at the clock.) That's probably where the 4.38 comes from, I think it's UTC.

I took my Captain out to the Harlond instance this afternoon and did very nicely; I defeated everything I went after, including the trolls. This may, in part, have been because I'm level 117 and all the mobs in Harlond are level 100-102 ... including the trolls.

Only one problem: I set up my bottom bar as you outlined, and everything worked, *except* that the sequence didn't enable Blade of Elendil. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong here?
    Ah, so you are across the pond... it’s BST (UTC+1) here in Blighty, that’s where the time came from

Hah no the bad guys certainly wouldn’t stand a chance in that situation!

Not sure... all you should need to enable blade of Elendil is battle shout and then devastating blow - it takes a second or two after clicking devastating blow before BoE activates. I’ll have to check it myself later to be sure, but the pages below match what I’ve said.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Battle-readied

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Battle-hardened

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Blade_of_Elendil
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Apr 15 2019 at 04:51 AM.

2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Artilleryman,
    mind posting a couple of trait trees using http://lotrottp.lotrostatus.com/l.php ?

My Cap is 115, but I have yet to find some good solutions for him, even if above is all some good advice, I hope, a trait tree often makes things easier to understand.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Artilleryman,
    mind posting a couple of trait trees using http://lotrottp.lotrostatus.com/l.php ?

My Cap is 115, but I have yet to find some good solutions for him, even if above is all some good advice, I hope, a trait tree often makes things easier to understand.
    Well, I looked at that site, and I don't think I can use it. I am computer-semi-illiterate and about all I'm good at in that regard is text processing.

However, I can describe Fialarr's traits fairly simply.

BLUE:
    Reversal, 2/2
    Skilled hands, 3/3
    Bolstered Resolve, 2/5
    Blood of Numenor, 2/3
    Lifting Words, 1/5
    Gallant Display, 1/1 (that's the one that lets you swing the sword around in a circle, doesn't do much damage but looks cool)

RED:
    Everything all the way down to the bottom, with the exception of
    Restraint, 2/4
    Standard of War, 1/5
    Fellowship of the Blade, 2/3

YELLOW:
    Situational Awareness, 2/3
    Steeled Resolve, 2/4

Ah, so you are across the pond... it’s BST (UTC+1) here in Blighty, that’s where the time came from

Hah no the bad guys certainly wouldn’t stand a chance in that situation!

Not sure... all you should need to enable blade of Elendil is battle shout and then devastating blow - it takes a second or two after clicking devastating blow before BoE activates.
    So ... if I've done 1 through 7 and BoE is still greyed out, I should go back and do 3 through 7 again and see if that gives BoE enough time?

I’ll have to check it myself later to be sure, but the pages below match what I’ve said.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Battle-readied

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Battle-hardened

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Blade_of_Elendil
    All right; I'll take a look at those.

(Still can't remember what sequence I used to use, enabling BoE with two or three clicks)

By the way, one thing I've done (with all my characters, melee or missile or what-have-you) is to alias /follow to the last key on my bottom bar (+ =), as follows:

/alias ;f /follow
    /alias shortcut ;f 12

I hit that key whenever I want to
    * follow my husband's character when duoing; he knows the terrain a lot better than I do
    * get to the nearest object that I've selected with Delete
    * run up to a mob so I can hit it

Others may have some other means of getting up close and personal with a mob, but the above is mine.

It looks like the trait tree planner is down, so I can’t post anything.

However, I’m not as high level as you so I won’t have as many trait points. I am level 95 and am yet to earn the West Rohan points, so you probably have more experience of the captain than I do.

I have traits as follows:

Pretty much everything in red, except for the trait that reduces power cost, and I left out the fifth banner point as it doesn’t change the buff amount. I then trait into yellow for the four morale point boosts, and then into blue for the first five points (including “critical events increase damage by x%”) and then revealing mark and the extra rez skill. When I have a few more points I will go further into yellow for the extra bleed damage.

I’ll try and do some screens of my trait tree later on.

I also make sure I have an LI weapon with cutting attack, grave wound and bleed damage, and an emblem with bleed pulses because this stacks the bleed damage considerably.

I still haven’t logged on to test BoE, but if you just try hitting nothing but battle shout, then devastating blow, then see if BoE lights up.

Edit: just tested it out and it works: Battle shout > Devastating blow > BoE.

This is my current trait tree with 60 points spent:

Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Apr 15 2019 at 01:52 PM.

It looks like the trait tree planner is down, so I can’t post anything.

However, I’m not as high level as you so I won’t have as many trait points. I am level 95 and am yet to earn the West Rohan points, so you probably have more experience of the captain than I do.

I have traits as follows:

Pretty much everything in red, except for the trait that reduces power cost, and I left out the fifth banner point as it doesn’t change the buff amount. I then trait into yellow for the four morale point boosts, and then into blue for the first five points (including “critical events increase damage by x%”) and then revealing mark and the extra rez skill. When I have a few more points I will go further into yellow for the extra bleed damage.

I’ll try and do some screens of my trait tree later on.

I also make sure I have an LI weapon with cutting attack, grave wound and bleed damage, and an emblem with bleed pulses because this stacks the bleed damage considerably.

I still haven’t logged on to test BoE, but if you just try hitting nothing but battle shout, then devastating blow, then see if BoE lights up.

Edit: just tested it out and it works: Battle shout > Devastating blow > BoE.

This is my current trait tree with 60 points spent:

Hm. As far as I can tell, you don't have anything traited that I don't.

My husband and I are going to go out and fight things this afternoon (yes, it's afternoon here), and I'll try that. I'll also try my previous idea, do 1 - 9 and then if BoE doesn't light up, 3-9 again and see if it'll work, given more time.

So one of my husband's Hunters and my Captain went out to the Harlond instance again, to see if I could make your sequence work.

Terse answer: it worked!

Verbose answer: One of my husband's goals with his Hunters is to make them capable of one-shotting everything they meet. This meant I couldn't get *through* sequence before he had left the mob dead on the pavement. We finally came to an agreement that he would let all the trolls alone, and I would attack them. This allowed the troll to stay alive long enough for me to get through the entire sequence, and it worked, BoE and all.

My major problem at this point is that the trolls have a stun which they use entirely too often. But I had this vague memory of having a de-stun skill, and managed to find it: it's Fighting Withdrawal, and it now lives on key no. 10. At this point I may even be able to take Fialarr out and try her against something tougher than level 102 trolls.

Thanks for your wise advice.

/cheer

So one of my husband's Hunters and my Captain went out to the Harlond instance again, to see if I could make your sequence work.

Terse answer: it worked!

Verbose answer: One of my husband's goals with his Hunters is to make them capable of one-shotting everything they meet. This meant I couldn't get *through* sequence before he had left the mob dead on the pavement. We finally came to an agreement that he would let all the trolls alone, and I would attack them. This allowed the troll to stay alive long enough for me to get through the entire sequence, and it worked, BoE and all.

My major problem at this point is that the trolls have a stun which they use entirely too often. But I had this vague memory of having a de-stun skill, and managed to find it: it's Fighting Withdrawal, and it now lives on key no. 10. At this point I may even be able to take Fialarr out and try her against something tougher than level 102 trolls.

Thanks for your wise advice.

/cheer

No problem, glad it all worked. Yeah fighting withdrawal is a really useful skill, even when the mobs don’t stun, because you get the +30% parry buff as well. So worth using at other times too.

If in a duo with a hunter, yellow line is well worth exploring as it is awesome for tanking. I didn’t use it for ages as I couldn’t figure out why it took so long to kill stuff, but in yellow line you are hard as nails, especially if you use your extra points in blue. That way you are increasing your outgoing healing and your incoming healing at the same time. Let your husband kill stuff whilst you take all the damage. I use red for most solo content, but yellow comes in handy when you’ve someone else to protect, or if you have to take down a really tough boss solo.

PS now I understand why you said at the beginning you like to duo content Good on you both and good luck.

Edit: red tree now with 65 points, plus the skill bar setup:

And the yellow tree:

Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Apr 16 2019 at 09:09 AM.

No problem, glad it all worked. Yeah fighting withdrawal is a really useful skill, even when the mobs don’t stun, because you get the +30% parry buff as well. So worth using at other times too.

If in a duo with a hunter, yellow line is well worth exploring as it is awesome for tanking. I didn’t use it for ages as I couldn’t figure out why it took so long to kill stuff, but in yellow line you are hard as nails, especially if you use your extra points in blue. That way you are increasing your outgoing healing and your incoming healing at the same time. Let your husband kill stuff whilst you take all the damage. I use red for most solo content, but yellow comes in handy when you’ve someone else to protect, or if you have to take down a really tough boss solo.

PS now I understand why you said at the beginning you like to duo content Good on you both and good luck.

Edit: red tree now with 65 points, plus the skill bar setup:

And the yellow tree:

You should really have penetrating cry fully traited as captain is slow in general + it helps anyone else in your group as well. Elite companions is a go to if you are grouped as well because it gives almost as strong armour debuff as champ's rend. Reversal is not that great and skilled hands for group play only imo. For a solo captain, red with yellow works better imo if mobs hitting you for a lot.
    Captain-General Narthrivor r15 Hunter - r12 Warden - r12 Champion - r7 Captain - r6 Guardian - Phoenix Legion and Innocent raid alliance - Laurelin EN-RP

Quote Originally Posted by RicoFTW View Post
    You should really have penetrating cry fully traited as captain is slow in general + it helps anyone else in your group as well. Elite companions is a go to if you are grouped as well because it gives almost as strong armour debuff as champ's rend. Reversal is not that great and skilled hands for group play only imo. For a solo captain, red with yellow works better imo if mobs hitting you for a lot.
    Yeah it’s hard to know where to put all your points as there is always something else you want! I’ll definitely go for the penetrating cry and elite companions with my next few points. I am grinding the last two WR points at the moment and will have another at level 97. Red with blue works well for me so I’ll stick with it, especially for the revealing mark and double rez in group play.

At only level 96, I run the risk of getting slammed by everyone for my setup, but that is an occupational hazard of posting in the forum of course . Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah it’s hard to know where to put all your points as there is always something else you want! I’ll definitely go for the penetrating cry and elite companions with my next few points. I am grinding the last two WR points at the moment and will have another at level 97. Red with blue works well for me so I’ll stick with it, especially for the revealing mark and double rez in group play.

At only level 96, I run the risk of getting slammed by everyone for my setup, but that is an occupational hazard of posting in the forum of course . Thanks for the suggestions!
    Well, your setup is working nicely for me (at 117, with more points traited). My only problem is that Devastating Blow takes a while to become active -- a while longer than I'm used to, anyway, since I mostly play LMs, most of whose skills have a very short induction. I suspect I need to learn to slow down some. When my husband and I do Harlond (which we do daily, because it yields Smith's Tokens, which buy SoEs, which many of my characters desperately need), he's been letting me kill all the Trolls. There is no point in my trying to kill anything else in Harlond, since his character is a L120 Hunter whose avowed purpose in life is to one-shot everything he meets. But even he can't one-shot a Troll consistently.

sorry to barge in again folks hope you don't mind

been playing my own cappy these past couple of days (after years of neglect.)

the trait setup i've got is working adequately for me, though its a bit haphazard.

what i'm wondering about is LI legacies. taking from the list at https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Cap...ndary_Legacies

could anyone please give me an idea of what i need on imbued LIs? on weapon, 'battle hardened damage and in defence buffs' looks like a must-have, at max, on everything, but i'm less certain about pretty much everything else, since there seem to be others that have a bit of crossover (power costs; muster courage) and way too many damage increasers lol.

thanks in advance guys

Quote Originally Posted by Rielthiere View Post
    sorry to barge in again folks hope you don't mind

been playing my own cappy these past couple of days (after years of neglect.)

the trait setup i've got is working adequately for me, though its a bit haphazard.

what i'm wondering about is LI legacies. taking from the list at https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Cap...ndary_Legacies

could anyone please give me an idea of what i need on imbued LIs? on weapon, 'battle hardened damage and in defence buffs' looks like a must-have, at max, on everything, but i'm less certain about pretty much everything else, since there seem to be others that have a bit of crossover (power costs; muster courage) and way too many damage increasers lol.

thanks in advance guys
    I'm looking forward to seeing other Captain-players' lists, too. Mine has just recently imbued her Greatsword, and what she has on it currently is

DPS (you get that automatically, it comes with the outfit)
    Melee Skill Power Cost
    Cutting Attack Damage
    Routing Cry Damage
    Pressing Attack and Devastating Blow Critical Rating
    Blade of Elendil Damage
    Battle-hardened Incoming Damage/In Defence of Middle-earth Stat Buffs
    Battle-hardened Outgoing Healing Buff

This is almost certainly not the optimum legacy list for a Captain's sword. They were what I could find on the trash LIs that I leveled and deconstructed.

However, my Captain also has six Imbued Legacy Replacement Scrolls, so that if this thread leads to a collection of legacies that are better than what she's got, she can swap them in. The scrolls are bound to her, and I don't recall where/how I got them, but Lotro-wiki has some lists:

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...acement_Scroll

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...roll_(Unbound)

after looking over the legacies, and numbers, and Artillery's comments on the value of bleeds, this is what i've come up with for a Greatsword, to be aimed at soloing or minimal group support:

Battle Hardened/In Defence buffs
    Battle Shout damage
    Bleed damage
    Cutting Attack damage
    Grave Wound damage
    Muster Courage resist/Shield(etc) Brother crit defence
    Pressing and Devastating crit rating

reasonings:
    BH/ID - extra stats always helps, less incoming damage for a few seconds is always nice
    BS - well, it starts pretty much every fight
    Bleed/Cutting/Grave - thinking about consistent damage, rather than just big crits. though Melee Crit damage, BoE damage, and Battle Readied damage would all be solid in here too, i think, so if you don't want to build for the bleed skills, thats an option.
    Muster - honestly, just for the Brother crit defence. good in solo, if your pet is handling something off to the side, good in group to protect a tank a little bit.
    Press/Devastate crit rating - more consistent crits. bigger crits would certainly pair well with it, i just dunno if bigger crits would offset the higher base of bleed skills (bleeds are +116.8% at lv69 according to wiki, which is obv out of date but i'm assuming the numbers are still relevant - versus melee crit damage at +43.8% at lv69.)

i didn't look particularly seriously at power cost legacies, because in solo i'm not having a problem there no matter how many mobs. the rare groups i join are pela runs, which are mostly 120s running them with the occasional 100 (or sometimes lower) like myself mixed in, so there;s not a lot of power issue there either.

i haven't looked at a tank/heal sword in detail yet - planning a 1h+shield combo for that - but it seems a little more straightforward to work out essential legacies for it.

emblems i have yet to look at.

thoughts on this are welcome, like i've said before i'm far from an expert on the class, and atm i'm trying to figure out if i would like to get it to 120 (i've 2 others there - hunt+lm - and a rk on the way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rielthiere View Post
    after looking over the legacies, and numbers, and Artillery's comments on the value of bleeds, this is what i've come up with for a Greatsword, to be aimed at soloing or minimal group support:

Battle Hardened/In Defence buffs
    Battle Shout damage
    Bleed damage
    Cutting Attack damage
    Grave Wound damage
    Muster Courage resist/Shield(etc) Brother crit defence
    Pressing and Devastating crit rating

reasonings:
    BH/ID - extra stats always helps, less incoming damage for a few seconds is always nice
    BS - well, it starts pretty much every fight
    Bleed/Cutting/Grave - thinking about consistent damage, rather than just big crits. though Melee Crit damage, BoE damage, and Battle Readied damage would all be solid in here too, i think, so if you don't want to build for the bleed skills, thats an option.
    Muster - honestly, just for the Brother crit defence. good in solo, if your pet is handling something off to the side, good in group to protect a tank a little bit.
    Press/Devastate crit rating - more consistent crits. bigger crits would certainly pair well with it, i just dunno if bigger crits would offset the higher base of bleed skills (bleeds are +116.8% at lv69 according to wiki, which is obv out of date but i'm assuming the numbers are still relevant - versus melee crit damage at +43.8% at lv69.)

i didn't look particularly seriously at power cost legacies, because in solo i'm not having a problem there no matter how many mobs. the rare groups i join are pela runs, which are mostly 120s running them with the occasional 100 (or sometimes lower) like myself mixed in, so there;s not a lot of power issue there either.

i haven't looked at a tank/heal sword in detail yet - planning a 1h+shield combo for that - but it seems a little more straightforward to work out essential legacies for it.

emblems i have yet to look at.

thoughts on this are welcome, like i've said before i'm far from an expert on the class, and atm i'm trying to figure out if i would like to get it to 120 (i've 2 others there - hunt+lm - and a rk on the way.)
    Forget about battle shout or routing cry damage ones, its damage is nothing compared to melee skills. Muster courage fear resist just for the extra crit defence is a waste for 2 imo. 4400 extra rating won't do much.

You are missing some must have legacies like Blade of Elendil, melee crits (crit multiplier legacies are a must have for any class wanting to do some damage) and Battle readied. Battle readied makes your dots hit quite more if you use them while in battle readied stance - before using dev blow/pressing attack. Battle-hardened incoming damage is situational, definitely not worth for the extra 33 stats while people are having 40-50k of main stat but the minus incoming damage can be handy in the moors for example.

For emblem, I have picked Shadow's lament, Bleed crits, Sure strike, Light damage and Dev blow/pressing damage together with RC heals and heal crit (as I didn't find anything else usefull).

Also if you are only playing solo or duo, you can save 3 points from Fellowship of the Song/Blade/Shield traits as they only affect people not having Song/Blade/Shield brother buff.
    Captain-General Narthrivor r15 Hunter - r12 Warden - r12 Champion - r7 Captain - r6 Guardian - Phoenix Legion and Innocent raid alliance - Laurelin EN-RP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast