We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What classes make a well balanced group?

I am a returning player. I have played as a Hunter and as a Burglar, before my server shutdown.

A couple of my friends and I are wanting to meet Thursday nights to play Lotro. I realize a fellowship is 6 players, so if I could get 5 of my friends to play, it is possible. We are going to quest through Middle Earth.

So, what would make a good well balanced group? What 6 classes do you recommend?

1. I figure we will need at least 1 healer.
    Not all who wander are lost.

-Naroldir, Elf Hunter, Anor

Be aware that the large majority of LOTRO content is aimed at soloers. A 6 man group roving the countryside is going to instantly slaughter just about everything and boredom will probably set in.

That said, tank, healer, support, and 3 DPS is a pretty balanced 6-man group. The exact classes you use for each spot are not too critical unless you plan on running the highest difficulties of group content.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Be aware that the large majority of LOTRO content is aimed at soloers. A 6 man group roving the countryside is going to instantly slaughter just about everything and boredom will probably set in.
    I can picture them: The Six Saviors of the South Farthing; all riding their steeds together delivering the mail.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Vinteal View Post
    I am a returning player. I have played as a Hunter and as a Burglar, before my server shutdown.

A couple of my friends and I are wanting to meet Thursday nights to play Lotro. I realize a fellowship is 6 players, so if I could get 5 of my friends to play, it is possible. We are going to quest through Middle Earth.

So, what would make a good well balanced group? What 6 classes do you recommend?

1. I figure we will need at least 1 healer.

As others have noted, a 6-man fellowship will make most of LOTRO pretty trivial unless you do things like running content 5 levels below the intended level (the lowest point at which you can get the quests) and even then it will be pretty easy.

That being said, if I was to put together the "perfect" fellowship it would look something like:

1. Guardian A good tank is always useful
    2. Minstrel A healer is also useful
    3. Captain Buffs and back-up healer and back-up tank
    4. Hunter Ranged DPS and travel help
    5. Champion More DPS
    6. Loremaster Debuffs, and support

There are of course many other combination that would work just as well, this is just one that I think would work well - and which happens to only use standard classes that you don't have to pay extra for.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post

1. Guardian A good tank is always useful
    2. Minstrel A healer is also useful
    3. Captain Buffs and back-up healer and back-up tank
    4. Hunter Ranged DPS and travel help
    5. Champion More DPS
    6. Loremaster Debuffs, and support
    In my opinion LM and captain in one group is overkill on support. If the content needs both, I would say the content is balanced wrong.

Saying this, in the newest 6-man on highest difficulties it is much easier to have both classes in the group.

@Vinteal: If you are going just to quest, classes don´t matter. If you are going to some instances, well, a tank and a healer is a good start. Here is overview:

Guardian : tank
    Champion: dd
    Captain: tank, support (buffs)
    Beorning: tank, healer
    Hunter: dd
    Thief: dd, support (debuffs)
    Warden: (weaker) tank, dd
    LM: support (debuffs)
    Minstrel: healer
    Rune-keeper: healer, dd

These are the main roles of classes in end content on t2-t3 difficulties. But, every class has a dd tree and its damage is sufficient for landscape quests.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik.
    English isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Estelrandir View Post
    In my opinion LM and captain in one group is overkill on support. If the content needs both, I would say the content is balanced wrong.

Saying this, in the newest 6-man on highest difficulties it is much easier to have both classes in the group.
    Needed? Hardly. If one just looks at what is needed for most 6-man content, then we get: 1 tank. 1 healer. 4 randoms.
    But then the question wasn't what was needed, but what a good group would look like.

ERTR, Couldn't we use Captains as both Tank and as a Buffer? Does RK do a good job healing? Or is it better to have a Minstrel?

So far, I am thinking:
    1. Healer (Minstrel or RK)
    2. Captain (for tank/buff)
    3. Burglar (high crit/debuffs)
    4. Hunter (long range dps)
    5. LM (CC/debuffs/power restore)
    6. Champion (More DPS)
    Not all who wander are lost.

-Naroldir, Elf Hunter, Anor

Not sure what content you are reaching for. If it is landscape questing any set of classes is fine and anything more than 2 people is overkill. If the goal is landscape plus the various 3 and 6 mans along the way then 1 tank(guardian is nice), 1 healer (mini, rk, beo), lm (debuffs, bear offtank meatshield, eventual backup healer), and 3 ranged dps. Lotro has a pretty strong bias against melee that has become more pronounced past 100. Such a group should be able to easily burn through most content up to endgame without trouble. In fact for most content with 3 ranged dps your other chars may not get any action as the mobs will be dead before melee range. FYI, Mordor 6 man is severely broken so there is a gap in content.

My opinion on dps is fire rk has fire debuffs and great dps. Can also switch to secondary healer if needed.
    Hunter is pure single target ranged dps and can piggy back on fire Debuffs.
    LM has fire debuffs and is also ranged fire damage though limited. Debuffs plus the pet is good through the 70s or early 80s.

I don’t know if your team is going to solo in between groups nor how to sync up leveling. Seems a tough job to sync up the hundreds of hours to group though to 100+.

Summary, let each play what they like to play to keep them interested. At the worst you choose guardian or healer if no one else wants to. 1 guardian plus 5 dps should Zerg through a lot of content. Remember, either mini or rk can be dps for fun and still play healer when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinteal View Post
    ERTR, Couldn't we use Captains as both Tank and as a Buffer? Does RK do a good job healing? Or is it better to have a Minstrel?
    Yes, of course you can. The exact buffs a Captain provides varies somewhat by what role they are in - mainly by changing what kind of buff their Sure Strike ability can provide.
    I do not have much experience playing healers, but from what I understand a RK is quite good as a healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Estelrandir View Post
    Warden: (weaker) tank,
    I'm triggered. And this is not true. The only place where warden is not that great of a tank are raids, where bosses hit just too hard and cannot be avoided (thus making mitigations the only real way to avoid damage). Warden is the king of 3man 6mans. Assuming the player is good obviously.

1.heal (Mini or beo)
    2. Tank (guard)
    3.captain
    4. Lm
    5. Dps (hunter)
    6. Dps (rk)

Would be the best groupbuild atm

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_ArrowWind View Post
    I'm triggered. And this is not true. The only place where warden is not that great of a tank are raids, where bosses hit just too hard and cannot be avoided (thus making mitigations the only real way to avoid damage). Warden is the king of 3man 6mans. Assuming the player is good obviously.

Warden is a tank. In someone´s eyes weaker, but that´s open to the discussion. Therefore I wrote weaker in parenthesises.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik.
    English isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes.

The problem with this question, and the great thing about this game, is that a good group combination depends on the instance you are trying to do. You definitely want the basic triad: Tank, Damage, Heal. But the flexibility of the class builds, plus additional needs of buff/debuff/cc and the mechanics at play in the instance/raid make a strict definition of well-balanced group not as locked in as other games. Best example of this is back in Moria, good groups for Filikul often had hunters and champs as the tanks, minimal heals, lots of buffs and additional dps. Watcher was totally different, with CC and heals at a higher priority.
    Find me as Devalyne on Discord
    \

It's less about picking the correct class combo, and more about figuring out how to play a combination of classes together. I remember back in the day, before they divided the classes into skill trees, playing zero to sixty-five with two Lore Masters and a guardian. These were our mains, no twinking. We made our own gear from drops and harvested items, and got 100% of our XP from quests. We found out how to make it work.

Don't do cookie cutter groups, they're boring, and present no real challenge.

I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. An Alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance.