We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    What everyone is failing to see is SSG's long game strategy. I know, not something you'd immediately consider them having.

We've had a few years grooming a new crop of players who are taken in by the official streaming output. Players who see streamers' spending LP and MC to get on, advocating the better packages and every sale that hides the cheaper store alternative or in game options. Numbers boosted with the point and cosmetic giveaways, lulled into the mindset to pay for advancement.

It's just that they are not quite there yet and another year might just have them sufficiently invested to spend big time.

Actually, no, I don't think there is any such strategy it just comes out as a result of wishing to hide away from the issues all the time and not having much of a clue.

Seems like whatever the plan is for some future revamp, if it happens ever, something needs to happen soon to reduce the amount of scrolls and crystals needed. Why not just change it to where a scroll or crystal buys 10 tiers instead of one? Myself, I never quite understood why an imbued LI needed to have so many tiers. Players only have 20 while the ILI need like 80? Legacies that increase just 0.8% per tier? For that we need to use a scroll?

Or, they could at least give the option to buy scrolls for some of those "coins of grarik" which right now are next to useless
    (many people I know tend to call them "coins of Garbarik" - for a reason)

Be it one way or the other - some serious thinking about the direction in which lotro is going is a must.

There are other mmos out there with far less grind, lag, and better pvp and pve, ability to have alts without playing 24/7 just sayin

There's a reason why the legendary servers are popular.

Korthillion-1 R10 RK ,Kortahl R7 CPT, Kornslimedonyoface R11 Defiler, Kornbootysplitter R9 WL,Korndoggystyle R8 WRG +other low rank Korns

+1 for the ability to buy something meaningful (like emps) with Coins of Grarik.
    Are you listening devs?
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Amnastaria View Post
    Or, they could at least give the option to buy scrolls for some of those "coins of grarik" which right now are next to useless
    (many people I know tend to call them "coins of Garbarik" - for a reason)

Be it one way or the other - some serious thinking about the direction in which lotro is going is a must.
    You mean You don't want to barter for 1000 Dwarven Crowns for Your alts heads ???

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    +1 for the ability to buy something meaningful (like emps) with Coins of Grarik.
    Are you listening devs?
    +1 more

Oh and NOT 100 or 200 coins for 1 Scroll.

+ Adding Anfalas Empowerment Scrolls to Festivals just like they did with Star-Lit Crystals. Right now I personally have little reason to do festivals with no comsetics I want/like for Figmenst that I dont have already and the stupid 10K cap, so no point to evens ave uyp for future relases of cosmetics. Have enough Star-Lits on most characters. The last festivals "goat/sheep" was ugly in my taset and so were the comsetics, so really no reason at all to do that Festival. At least in the past You could earn Shadowed Essence Boxes from the wrapper for the current LvL cap (at that time), but even that got removed with them adding Figments and now with cap and all, it's pointless to play when at cap. At least if wrappoer rewarded purple essence boxes for 120 that would be someting.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Apr 16 2019 at 06:06 AM.

I have a novel idea, how about letting us spend gold on our LI's, rather than forcing us to grind for one stupid barter- currency after the next?

Quote Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
    I have a novel idea, how about letting us spend gold on our LI's, rather than forcing us to grind for one stupid barter- currency after the next?
    Because the grind is very directly the point.

The cynical interpretation is that they use it to drive RMT sales, but even if that's not the case, they still need the grind to slow down player advancement with every update. You can't use a stockpile-able currency for these sorts of things because then the bittervets would be DONE within seconds of any new update rollout, and complaining about it.

EDIT: Oh but no doubt there are still infinitely better systems conceivable than what we have, and I don't mean to imply that what we have is acceptable.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Musings on LOTRO and other games: www.killtenrats.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog548 View Post
    Because the grind is very directly the point.

The cynical interpretation is that they use it to drive RMT sales, but even if that's not the case, they still need the grind to slow down player advancement with every update. You can't use a stockpile-able currency for these sorts of things because then the bittervets would be DONE within seconds of any new update rollout, and complaining about it.

EDIT: Oh but no doubt there are still infinitely better systems conceivable than what we have, and I don't mean to imply that what we have is acceptable.

The new updates are not the problem. It's getting there.

And the "bittervets"(?) already have these items stockpiled and are maxed once a new update comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    The new updates are not the problem. It's getting there.

And the "bittervets"(?) already have these items stockpiled and are maxed once a new update comes out.
    "bittervets" are just the folks always at endgame and bored. But anyhoo I don't think we disagree. I'm saying you can't make new progress based off old currency (e.g. gold) and you're saying the same thing, just with the scrolls/crystals themselves.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog548 View Post
    "bittervets" are just the folks always at endgame and bored. But anyhoo I don't think we disagree. I'm saying you can't make new progress based off old currency (e.g. gold) and you're saying the same thing, just with the scrolls/crystals themselves.
    That sounds clever on the surface , but its simply not true... what do you define as "new" progress? A new experience? Why would adding gold as a reward and then making gold a viable currency again prevent people from having a new experience? Do you think that when we see Coins of Grarik or Ashes of Whatever that this adds positivity to our experience?

These currencies work the same way gold once worked, they simply rename the currency and change the way they can be acquired after each expansion.

The constant invention of currencies is in fact precisely what destroys the experience, not enhance it. Unless you are about to tell me that the single-curreny based games like ESO or EVE are unable to make "new progress", but we all know they make far more progress than this game in terms of providing players with new experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
    That sounds clever on the surface , but its simply not true... what do you define as "new" progress? A new experience? Why would adding gold as a reward and then making gold a viable currency again prevent people from having a new experience? Do you think that when we see Coins of Grarik or Ashes of Whatever that this adds positivity to our experience?

These currencies work the same way gold once worked, they simply rename the currency and change the way they can be acquired after each expansion.

The constant invention of currencies is in fact precisely what destroys the experience, not enhance it. Unless you are about to tell me that the single-curreny based games like ESO or EVE are unable to make "new progress", but we all know they make far more progress than this game in terms of providing players with new experiences.
    Everything you're getting at seems to be a pretty valid perspective, but it's almost entirely unrelated to what I was talking about. I was only talking about new avenues of stat progression (for example additional levels on an ILI) that come as part of new content (for example a new region and storybooks like the Strongholds of the North). I was talking about how using an old currency like gold just means people who have that currency stockpiled get it instantly while anyone else still has to grind. Instead they invent a new currency for the update so that everyone has to grind.

I'm not saying you're supposed to enjoy it, I'm saying it's done by the devs for a reason. It's one way to pad out the time it takes for someone to complete the new content, but even beyond that it serves in a small way as content itself. Stats going up is one form of progress, and progress is one form of gameplay. If the new content came out and your stats all go up at the single click of a button (because you already had the resources) then what was the point of having the stats go up in the first place?

There are lots of un-fun ways to implement progress (we're looking at them), but implementing it to be instantaneous (or even worse, instantaneous only for the people who enjoy it the most!!!) is an outright failure for everyone involved.

It's fine that every new expansion comes with new barter items required. The problem is that the barter items from the previous expansion become almost useless. I know, my wallet is full of all sorts of leftover garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzin View Post
    It's fine that every new expansion comes with new barter items required. The problem is that the barter items from the previous expansion become almost useless. I know, my wallet is full of all sorts of leftover garbage.
    That too!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden102 View Post
    There are other mmos out there with far less grind, lag, and better pvp and pve, ability to have alts without playing 24/7 just sayin

There's a reason why the legendary servers are popular.

+1

Oh, and btw....we're all halfway through ANOTHER week with still no response from the Devs regarding ANY kind of short-term fix to the LI grind (of which there are MANY great suggestions in this thread).

And players just keep leaving.

I, too, wish they will allow us to barter for Anvil of Winterstith gear with Medallions of Moria. What a great idea. It has been far too long since that currency was ever useful, a whopping 11 years. @Devs please add Imbued Legacy Replacement Scrolls and Essence Reclamation Scrolls to all obsolete currency!

/s

Quote Originally Posted by xxSniperxx View Post
    I, too, wish they will allow us to barter for Anvil of Winterstith gear with Medallions of Moria. What a great idea. It has been far too long since that currency was ever useful, a whopping 11 years. @Devs please add Imbued Legacy Replacement Scrolls and Essence Reclamation Scrolls to all obsolete currency!

/s
    Well, all obsolete currency would be a bad move, and I think you meant that sarcastically. But as you can imbue your weapon at lvl 100, these improvement items should be barterable for currency of regions of lvl 100+. And I think like many others that the items you can get for Coins of Grarik are ridiculous.
    There's some good in this world, and it is worth fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    +1

Oh, and btw....we're all halfway through ANOTHER week with still no response from the Devs regarding ANY kind of short-term fix to the LI grind (of which there are MANY great suggestions in this thread).

And players just keep leaving.
    I spent the other day playing FFXIV and found quite a few LOTRO players there. There was also a big influx of WoW players there too. It's too bad that LOTRO couldn't have grabbed those WoW players instead.

For obsolete currency, one possible option might be the ability to convert barter items to Skirmish Marks/Medallions/Seals. Another semi-useful option might be to change all bound currency from previous expansions to account shared, leaving only the most recent as character bound.

For obsolete currency, one possible option might be the ability to convert barter items to Skirmish Marks/Medallions/Seals. Another semi-useful option might be to change all bound currency from previous expansions to account shared, leaving only the most recent as character bound.
    I like both of these ideas, but as an altoholic, the second one is very appealing. I don't see how it's any different than passing down your excess rep items to the upcoming alts.

As an altaholic, I like these ideas, but especially the second one.
    Find me as Devalyne on Discord
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Raegaen View Post
    I spent the other day playing FFXIV and found quite a few LOTRO players there. There was also a big influx of WoW players there too. It's too bad that LOTRO couldn't have grabbed those WoW players instead.

Exactly right.

Now would be a great time for LOTRO to attract some new players from those other situations. But word-of-mouth is critical. And right now, there is so much frustration among LOTRO players on some very big issues. It's hard to try and recruit friends to this game, when so much of the fun has turned into an endless grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Seregthol View Post
    Exactly right.

Now would be a great time for LOTRO to attract some new players from those other situations. But word-of-mouth is critical. And right now, there is so much frustration among LOTRO players on some very big issues. It's hard to try and recruit friends to this game, when so much of the fun has turned into an endless grind.

Well, at least they've offered us a temporary "deal" on 10 packs of Black Steal Keys.

I wonder how many people will straight out refuse to buy the next expansion if there's no improvement until then.
    Server: [DE]Gwaihir, Kinship: Hecki Hecki Pateng

Quote Originally Posted by Daenirion View Post
    I wonder how many people will straight out refuse to buy the next expansion if there's no improvement until then.
    probably ones who just complain, and don't care about the story/adventure, but only end game, I don't like how LI system is and something needs to happen, but i won't stop playing over it, cause there are plenty of fun stuff to do besides LIs, I will buy Minas morgul cause i want to explore and have new adventures with story in far out lands.
    Last edited by Pontin_Finnberry; Apr 21 2019 at 12:49 PM.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast