We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Naming a Character from Rohan

I was going to start playing at Ithil, but I'm kinda stuck here as always. I can't choose a name that I'm happy with and isn't already taken. I usually use norse names in games like these (example: Thorald, Thorvald, Thorsten). And somehow I always liked names that begins with "Th-" like old germanic name "Theodric" and that would be fine name in my opinion, but it was already taken.

Then I tried following those naming guidelines and then I was almost happy with name "Theodren", but after a second I thought it's too similar with Theoden and Theodred. The whole LotRO community would beat me with clubs for choosing that name. So I think im going to sit here for a while and trying to figure out a name. I was also thinking names like Torren or Torrhen, but names with "Tor" and "Thor" are maybe too dwarvish. Any advice is welcome.
    Last edited by Kalanaamari; Mar 25 2019 at 11:32 AM.

Suggestions:

Thorvald
    Torbjorn
    Torhild
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Suggestions:

Thorvald
    Torbjorn
    Torhild
    Thank you for answer, but as I said, names like that sounds more like a dwarf (maybe they're fine for Beorning and men of Dale?). Maybe I'm too much perfectionist and think too much about this. I would be happy with Torrhen or Torren, but I don't know what RP'ers think about man of Rohan named Torrhen or Torren :---D

Quote Originally Posted by Kalanaamari View Post
    Thank you for answer, but as I said, names like that sounds more like a dwarf (maybe they're fine for Beorning and men of Dale?). Maybe I'm too much perfectionist and think too much about this. I would be happy with Torrhen or Torren, but I don't know what RP'ers think about man of Rohan named Torrhen or Torren :---D
    It doesn’t have a “Th” in it, but I went with “Eogad” for a warden on Laurelin (in the same vein as Eomer/Eowyn) I don’t play him much, and won’t use the name on the legendary servers so I’m happy for you to nick it if nobody has taken it already

Could also try:

Eogald
    Eormar
    Eobrand

Theogad
    Theogald
    Theodring

Hamar
    Haden

Or just for fun: Erkentheogamwyn...
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Mar 25 2019 at 03:57 PM.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

You could try to mine Old English names from the elegy in 'The Battle of the Pelennor Fields' : "Harding and Guthláf, Dúnhere and Déorwine, doughty Grimbold, Herefara and Herubrand, Horn and Fastred, fought and fell there in a far country." You could also look into a dictionary of Old English and just grab a word. When Decipher was putting out their Lord of the Rings card game, they needed names for extra Rohan characters. A friend of mine suggested 'Guma', which just means 'a man' (if memory serves, it's the actual word in 'bridegoom', which later became 'bridegroom' by back formation or folk etymology). In 'The Beverly Hillbillies', you'd occasionally hear Granny ask, 'Who's that goomer?' and I have often wondered if that was actual hill slang preserving the old word 'guma' (as with 'vittles'). But I digress.

Looking at those names, I'm reminded that you can get a lot of mileage out of -wine (meaning 'friend', as in Alfwine, elf-friend, or 'Alvin' in modern English).