We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Epic Battle (Solo/Duo) The Hornburg - Bugged or Am I Doing Something Wrong?

I have run this instance three times now (to advance V3, B13) but on each I am unable to complete it due to what I assume to be a bug (or perhaps I am doing something stupid or failing to take some obvious action!).

At a late stage in the second assault the enemy simply stop trying to breach the wall and my soldiers & officers just stand there very slowly being whittled down by volleys of arrows. Another player suggested that clearing all the grappling hooks and ladders (which I had done on my first two attempts) can cause this to happen so, on my third run, I left one of each in place but, once again, after an extended period of time the enemy ceased their assault.

Any suggestions please?

What exactly constitutes a "win state" in this instance? Is it killing a certain number of enemies, or a certain amount of time elapsing without being overrun or is it some other condition?

Is it possible to report this as a bug (if so how please?) and is there any chance that a GM (via a customer service ticket perhaps?) will advance my character/quest on because, as far as I can judge, I have 'beaten' the encounter 3 times now.

Try leaving ALL the hooks and ladders around and see if that works. If it bugs out again, try filing a ticket while within the instance. Hopefully a GM notices it and can verify that you've done all you can and manually advances you.

The faster you kill enemies, the faster the quest instance advances.

Enemies can be killed as they climb on top of the wall, throwing off hooks and ladders will slow down the instance progression.
    Enemies can also be killed before they reach the top of the wall using either rock drop or catapult.

Using the catapult to kill at least the enemy catapult is necessary to complete the instance. Killing any further enemies will make the instance end faster, making it more likely for the soldiers to survive to the end.

Remember to give orders to the soldiers to heal them to keep them alive.

Yes, don't drop all the hooks and ladders.

As I understand it the instance depends on a certain number of "waves" of enemies getting onto the wall to trigger certain events. So, if you slow them down too much you can end in this stuck state. A GM might advance it for you, I believe they have for other people, but it's not guaranteed (depends when you ask as GMs aren't on 24/7). As for bugging it, you can do that from the same screen you put a ticket in to a GM, just click on the ? on your skill bar and select report a bug.

Thanks to all for the super-quick responses.

I will try running it again this evening and leave quite a few more of the ladders and grappling hooks in place. I read somewhere else that repairing the eastern catapult and using it to destroy some of the archers may help to advance the instance. Not sure yet whether this is actually possible because the catapult has (from memory) quite a restricted targeting area.

@SotaMursu. In the Hornburg instance there aren't any rock drops, these are only available in the (very similar) earlier instance called The Deeping Wall. Ironically I struggled to get through that instance too but that seemed to be because I wasn't removing sufficient ladders & grappling hooks and thus getting overrun. Kinda perverse that the solution to The Hornburg requires me to leave more of the pesky things in place.

I can't say that I am finding these Epic Battles to be much fun (probably better in a small fellowship I imagine). The scripting seems very buggy and the tactics required to beat them are pretty opaque and poorly explained. A fair bit of trial and error is required to figure them out. I will do just enough to get through the Epic questline and to earn my two trait points and wave goodbye!

Thanks again for the helpful responses.

The battles are actually a good source of decent jewelry for players about to head into Mordor. They help mitigate the 105-112 gear gap. The currency earned (Stars of Merit) is one of few solo/duo ways to earn starlit crystals and essence reclaim scrolls.

Though it has been ages since I have done that battle, aside from keeping Aragorn and Legolas alive and not letting the Hornburg take damage you can fail if too many banners get destroyed also. Try taking down hooks and ladders from the outer edges, keeping the center up. This funnels all of the enemies into the center and easy killing.
    This is Cyan.
    This is Teal.
    Learn your colors people.

Well my fourth attempt succeeded but I am still inclined to think that the whole encounter is rather messy & buggy.

This time around I left quite a few more ladders & grappling hooks in place and that seems to have done the trick but the additional mobs meant that I was unable to save any of the six banners (in previous attempts I had managed to preserve 2 or 3). I also made sure to repair the east catapult and to get one damaging shot off using the west ballista. No idea whether these actions had anything to do with the successful outcome.

I also noticed that the targeting cross hairs on the ballista don't work correctly because they mark the ground immediately in front of the ballista but when you fire the shot (you are, of course, guessing where it might land at this point) the cross hairs move off into the enemy far below.

Annoyingly, despite completing the zone and one of the side quests I didn't get credited with one single promotion point. Anyway, it's done now and I can't see myself heading back in there anytime soon!

@Scorrp10. Yes, I had noticed that the Stars of Merit Vendor offer Crystals & Scrolls in exchange for tokens which could indeed be useful. Question is whether I could face the grind...…….300 tokens for one Crystal as I recall.

@Crax2:

To finish an epic battle you need to kill all incoming waves. Thus, if you remove all grapling hooks and ladders and no new come, the waves can´t progress.

Catapult is a very good way to greatly reduce number of enemies in waves. Less enemies, less damage.

To save the banners is good to set the priority on sappeurs, but you need a higher rank for it. If you just started with epic battles, you won´t have it.

And lastly, doing it together with another player is much easier and thus you finnish with better rewards. There even quests impossible to finish solo.

The epic battles aren´t built in the way that you will finish them on platin in the first play. Back in the days they were the endcontent and thus you needed the learn how to finish them successfully.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik.
    English isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes.

@Estelrandir. Thanks for the reply :-)

Yes, I tend to forget that these Epic Battles were once end game content and were never designed to be easy, especially solo. I have now acquired 40 points which has made things a bit more comfortable but certainly not easy!

I will continue doing them until I get my 2 trait points. In the meantime I will probably also try doing a few in a small fellowship. I will (somewhat sheepishly) admit that I prefer to try and figure these things out solo before making a fool of myself in a group...……..at least I then have an idea of how the scripts run and have a few points under my belt. It is always an awkward situation when everyone else in a group is busily running around knowing what to do, where to go & where to stand whilst the noob (me!) just stands there looking confused :-)