We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Anonymous

Anonymous

I suggest make status "Anonymous" available only for players with VIP status. This will help avoid fraud in the world chat and increase the attractiveness of buying VIP status.

I must argue against this. Many of the players that use Anon do so to avoid stalkers and griefers. It would be adding insult to injury if a person had to pay to avoid being harassed in-game.

Before you or anyone else argues against this post, don't give bad people ideas.

I realize that Anon is a second step all too often, but it is an important step. It shouldn't be taken away from F2P.

I like to hide my bad gear as a premium
    Death's Bane : Arkenstone : Endgame
    Mirage : Arkenstone : 75 Capped
    Meneldor Native

Quote Originally Posted by Borrommir View Post
    I suggest make status "Anonymous" available only for players with VIP status. This will help avoid fraud in the world chat and increase the attractiveness of buying VIP status.
    I believe privacy is not a luxury, it is a right.

It would be very unfair to 'gate' privacy behind a paywall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeragraus View Post
    I must argue against this. Many of the players that use Anon do so to avoid stalkers and griefers. It would be adding insult to injury if a person had to pay to avoid being harassed in-game.

Before you or anyone else argues against this post, don't give bad people ideas.

I realize that Anon is a second step all too often, but it is an important step. It shouldn't be taken away from F2P.
    I pretty much have to agree with this. When someone comes after you in game, it's a horrible experience. I know.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    I believe privacy is not a luxury, it is a right.

It would be very unfair to 'gate' privacy behind a paywall.
    I totally Agree !!!

While in fact it is a luxury (or privelege) and a right that has been fought for (it is not a right by birth in many dictatorships or big brother types of societies), it is slowly taken away in so many aspects of society due to corporations and their power position, I still agree that at least in the western society it is now a right that we have and should do anything to protect. We should not have to pay for it in here or anywhere else for that matter.

As a side note (not directly related to this thread but definetly to privacy) look at social programs that dictatorships like China is using to grade it's citicens. It can even revoke the rigfhts to travel and such. Pretty much as if likes on Facebook would become the "grade" on people in the west and affect if they can get a job, travel etc. On top of that all paymnets being vi apps so Your "credits" can be revoked at any time as well, no cash that You can store at home in case of an emergency. And it is tech companies that help China develop such systems. Countries like Sweden is going the same way and getting rid of cash. Putting all power and control in he hands of Banks and credit companies. Total control. All under the disguise that it is for our security and to stop robberies and criminals. Sheeples buy that mantra that they brainwash people to believe. Instead people get their Identities stolen online and scammed as a result, so it is not at all for our security but simply for control and power by the ones at the top that wants it. Scary development indeed.

All other online games normally do without the function of anonymity.
    Last edited by Borrommir; Mar 17 2019 at 04:43 PM.

All other online games normally do without the function of animosity.
    If you mean other online games do not have animosity, you are very wrong.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Here's an idea: keep anonymous status as it is but have people who have anonymous turned on appear online only to people who they are friends with.

For example, I go anonymous. Only way to see me online is if you're on my friend's list.

That way your friends list wont appear inactive and anonymous users can still hide from harassers or hide their bad gear.

Forcing people to PAY to go anonymous is a bad idea.

That doesn't help the stalking issue. You go Anon to avoid that. In your idea they just add you to friends first so they can tell when you are online or not. Edit: I read what you wrote wrong. You pick the people who can see you online in your suggestion which makes sense but I feel like those people are often in your kin or friends with you on discord or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewpewmidget View Post
    Here's an idea: keep anonymous status as it is but have people who have anonymous turned on appear online only to people who they are friends with.

For example, I go anonymous. Only way to see me online is if you're on my friend's list.

That way your friends list wont appear inactive and anonymous users can still hide from harassers or hide their bad gear.

Forcing people to PAY to go anonymous is a bad idea.
    I agree with this, only if it was optional and would only work if you have them on the list as well, that way no random player just add you see you online, you have to add them as well, someone you trust and know, but again make it optional for those who don't want it and always want to hide for personal reasons.
    Last edited by Pontin_Finnberry; Mar 18 2019 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    If you mean other online games do not have animosity, you are very wrong.
    Please note that B. noted his thinko and changed the word to "anonymity."

Me, I don't care if somebody inspects me. They're not going to see anything exciting.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

This will help avoid fraud in the world chat and increase the attractiveness of buying VIP status.
    Could you explain what kind of fraud you mean? Maybe there is a better solution.

The attractiveness of VIP would be increased if VIP was all you need to play this game and if VIP was excluded from all store-pushing grinds like keys, solvents, SoEs and such.
    But of course we could add a drop of water in an otherwise (almost) empty bucket and call it more attractive.

In terms of fraud I would also ask the question of LightGatherer. I cannot think about a possibility for fraud that *depends* on being anonymous.
    Last edited by thinx; Mar 18 2019 at 04:11 AM.