We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: OpenDNS

OpenDNS

LOTRO doesnt really have a section that suits this, it is tech, but affects PC and Mac users, so I have put it here.

if anyone has noticed certain websites and pages either not loading, or taking many seconds to open, and they use OpenDNS, it appears the Cisco take-over is causing issues.

I have even had bbc.co.uk fail to load, it was pointing to the wrong IP address.

Other website pages are showing 3-5 seconds of blank white page before doing anything.

Switching to a different DNS service fixes the issue.

If it helps the Google DNS service is 8.8.8.8

Not every web address is suffering, but it has been going on for several days (for me).

How do you know if a website uses OpenDNS?
    I don't surf the web a lot unless I'm looking for information on something in particular, usually the only website that takes a while to load is this one. Then it will occasionally time out when I try to sign in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinara View Post
    How do you know if a website uses OpenDNS?
    I don't surf the web a lot unless I'm looking for information on something in particular, usually the only website that takes a while to load is this one. Then it will occasionally time out when I try to sign in.
    DNS is like a telephone book where you look up the address for the number you have.

It isnt used specifically by websites, but by companies and individuals to replace the (often poor) DNS service offered by the ISP they use. If you dont know what it is, the chances are, you are using your ISP's default DNS server, and shouldnt be affected.

I have been using OpenDNS for many years, and this is the FIRST time I have ever had an issue, so when I started getting issues, my first thought was either an ISP issue, or the browser update that occurred the same day; however everything works fine on my work PC with the same browser update, and my home ISP are very good at reporting issues.

Try using 1.1.1.1? See if that fixes it. If not it could be an issue with OpenDNS
    Varkking - Dwarf Rune-Keeper - Devout of the Lidless Eye - Anor Server
    Moderator of Lord of the Rings On Prime Subreddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Varkking View Post
    Try using 1.1.1.1? See if that fixes it. If not it could be an issue with OpenDNS
    Switching from OpenDNS to Google DNS fixed all but one blank/slow opening website, that remaining one appears to have a server issue as the front page opens and refreshes quickly, but if you try and select a sub page - it is pot luck - some open at once, others take up to 10 seconds to respond.