We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: temples

temples

as far as i know there where temples in the lost island of Numenor
    now since numenorians has traveled to middle earth why dont we have temples to Eru?
    orc are worshiping sauron n there r several sites we can see them bowing constructions dedicated to him......
    free people should had their own temples in major places ocupied by the numenorians,
    especially in Minas Tirith n Dol Amroth!
    maybe a base of a new class(priest, cleric? or new type of warior with blessed powers?(paladin type)), tho not something against the lore!
    maybe npc that giving extra guild quests, new outfit, cosmetic, decoration items barterer by the temple tokens,
    why not jewelry or armor items?
    dwarves may have temples dedicated to Aule n elves to Elbereth, while hobbits ...... well they my worship their mathoms.....
    every race may have their own quests n items
    full access available to premioum n vips, some access to F2P, so company may earn
    tks for reading, awating your replies!
    Last edited by Valakircka; Mar 17 2019 at 05:45 AM.
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    as far as i know there where temples in the lost island of Numenor
    now since numenorians has traveled to middle earth why dont we have temples to Eru?
    orc are worshiping sauron n there r several sites we can see them bowing constructions dedicated to him......
    free people should had their own temples in major places ocupied by the numenorians,
    especially in Minas Tirith n Dol Amroth!
    maybe a base of a new class(priest, cleric? or new type of warior with blessed powers?(paladin type)), tho not something against the lore!
    maybe npc that giving extra guild quests, new outfit, cosmetic, decoration items barterer by the temple tokens,
    why not jewelry or armor items?
    dwarves may have temples dedicated to Aule n elves to Elbereth, while hobbits ...... well they my worship their mathoms.....
    every race may have their own quests n items
    full access available to premioum n vips, some access to F2P, so company may earn
    tks for reading, awating your replies!
    Sorry, but that's be a no-no lore-wise: Tolkien left that out on purpose; the Free Peoples didn't have temples. The Numenoreans used to hold a prayer ceremony (where the king offered prayers to Eru on behalf of his people) atop the Meneltarma, the holy mountain. The Elves would venerate the Valar with song and dance in the open air, maybe in a grove or some other such natural setting but again, no temples. Now maybe the Dwarves would pick some naturally beautiful underground place because that was their thing, but you get the general idea. Same goes all round, so far as I recall the only temple that's mentioned in the books is the one that Sauron got the Numenoreans to build to Morgoth after he'd corrupted most of them. (And of course that was all kinds of wrong, a dreadful place where people were sacrificed by fire). Now you wouldn't be surprised to find temples in places like Harad or anywhere else they'd taken to worshipping Sauron as their god-king but again, we're talking all the classic fantasy tropes associated with evil cultists - evil priests, sinister rites up to and including human sacrifice, the works.

The deliberate lack of traditionally-styled organised religion is also why the game doesn't have typical classes like clerics or paladins (we have Minstrels and Captains instead, similar role but without the religious trappings).

Tolkien himself wrote about this subject in letter 153

There are thus no temples or ‘churches’ or fanes in this ‘world’ among ‘good’ peoples. They had little or no ‘religion’ in the sense of worship. For help they may call on a Vala (as Elbereth), as a Catholic might on a Saint, though no doubt knowing in theory as well as he that the power of the Vala was limited and derivative. But this is a ‘primitive age’: and these folk may be said to view the Valar as children view their parents or immediate adult superiors, and though they know they are subjects of the King he does not live in their country nor have there any dwelling. I do not think Hobbits practised any form of worship or prayer (unless through exceptional contact with Elves). The Númenóreans (and others of that branch of Humanity, that fought against Morgoth, even if they elected to remain in Middle-earth and did not go to Númenor: such as the Rohirrim) were pure monotheists. But there was no temple in Númenor (until Sauron introduced the cult of Morgoth). The top of the Mountain, the Meneltarma or Pillar of Heaven, was dedicated to Eru, the One, and there at any time privately, and at certain times publicly, God was invoked, praised, and adored: an imitation of the Valar and the Mountain of Aman. But Numenor fell and was destroyed and the Mountain engulfed, and there was no substitute.

Pie temples, we can all appreciate temples dedicated to pie.
    The Lonely Mountain Band
    Pouncival-Rank 15 aroo-Leader of the Pouncing Pwny
    We Pounce Because We Care

Quote Originally Posted by Aedon View Post
    An oven shall be the shrine to pray to!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Aedon View Post
    I want a temple dedicated to e

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    I want a temple dedicated to e
    That's irrational!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

ok got it ......
    totally out of lore
    tks to all!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    That's irrational!
    But at least it's real, unlike the i temples....

You guys need someone (named Euler, maybe) to come unify all your religions into one single temple.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    That's irrational!
    But suitable for a truly transcendental experience.