We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Essences of low level - delete or keep?

It turns out that I have gotten tons of Essences while adventuring in the middle levels of the game long ago, and I found them filling up a lot of vault space on one character (trying to do some spring cleaning), but I don't really know what use they can be. Are these just trash items that I should delete? I don't really like throwing away stuff since things change and you never know what you'll need, but these items are so many and I haven't found any use for them yet.

There's a lot of these low level ones in the Auction House but I don't know if that is because people want to buy them or if they're sold by people like me who don't know if they're trash and are trying to sell them in case anyone needs them. The prices are very low.

Level 50

[2 Minor Essences of Agility][2 Minor Essences of Blocking]
    [2 Minor Essences of Critical Defence][3 Minor Essences of Critical Rating]
    [2 Minor Essences of Evasion][3 Minor Essences of Fate]
    [3 Minor Essences of Finesse][3 Minor Essences of Incoming Healing]
    [Minor Essence of Might][2 Minor Essences of Morale]
    [4 Minor Essences of Parrying][2 Minor Essences of Physical Mastery]
    [4 Minor Essences of Physical Mitigation][Minor Essence of Power]
    [4 Minor Essences of Resistance][6 Minor Essences of Tactical Mastery]
    [Minor Essence of Tactical Mitigation][5 Minor Essences of Vitality]

Level 50 purple

[Major Essence of Agility][2 Major Essences of Blocking]
    [Major Essence of Critical Rating][2 Major Essences of Evasion]
    [2 Major Essences of Fate][2 Major Essences of Incoming Healing]
    [2 Major Essences of Might][2 Major Essences of Morale]
    [3 Major Essences of Parrying][Major Essence of Physical Mastery]
    [Major Essence of Physical Mitigation][2 Major Essences of Resistance]
    [2 Major Essences of Tactical Mastery][2 Major Essences of Vitality]

Level 60

[4 Minor Essences of Agility][2 Minor Essences of Blocking]
    [4 Minor Essences of Critical Defence][3 Minor Essences of Critical Rating]
    [Minor Essence of Evasion][Minor Essence of Fate]
    [2 Minor Essences of Finesse][3 Minor Essences of Incoming Healing]
    [5 Minor Essences of Might][4 Minor Essences of Morale]
    [Minor Essence of Parrying][4 Minor Essences of Physical Mastery]
    [4 Minor Essences of Physical Mitigation][2 Minor Essences of Power]
    [4 Minor Essences of Resistance][4 Minor Essences of Tactical Mastery]
    [4 Minor Essences of Tactical Mitigation][4 Minor Essences of Vitality]
    [5 Minor Essences of Will]

Level 60 purple

[Major Essence of Agility]
    [Major Essence of Blocking][Major Essence of Critical Defence]
    [Major Essence of Critical Rating][Major Essence of Evasion]
    [Major Essence of Fate][2 Major Essences of Finesse]
    [Major Essence of Incoming Healing][2 Major Essences of Might]
    [Major Essence of Physical Mastery][2 Major Essences of Physical Mitigation]
    [3 Major Essences of Power][Major Essence of Resistance]
    [Major Essence of Tactical Mastery][Major Essence of Tactical Mitigation]
    [4 Major Essences of Vitality][2 Major Essences of Will]

Level 60 blue

[Greater Essence of Critical Rating]

Level 70

[Minor Essence of Agility][Minor Essence of Blocking]
    [2 Minor Essences of Critical Defence][2 Minor Essences of Critical Rating]
    [2 Minor Essences of Evasion][2 Minor Essences of Incoming Healing]
    [Minor Essence of Might][2 Minor Essences of Morale]
    [Minor Essence of Parrying][3 Minor Essences of Physical Mastery]
    [4 Minor Essences of Physical Mitigation][Minor Essence of Power]
    [3 Minor Essences of Resistance][Minor Essence of Tactical Mastery]
    [Minor Essence of Tactical Mitigation][2 Minor Essences of Will]

Level 70 purple

[Major Essence of Blocking][3 Major Essences of Critical Defence]
    [Major Essence of Evasion][Major Essence of Morale]
    [Major Essence of Parrying][Major Essence of Resistance]
    [Major Essence of Tactical Mitigation][Major Essence of Vitality]
    [Major Essence of Power][Major Essence of Agility]
    [Major Essence of Might][Major Essence of Physical Mastery]
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

I was like you and hoarded these. They don't really become upgradeable/malleable until the later levels (100 onwards). Personally I would just vendor them, although I'm sure there are some people who like use them while they level.

Or maybe ask/give away in trade chat.

Essences are similar to legendary item relics. Legendary items have slots on them where you can slot relics to buff the stats of the item. Essences are used in a similar way on armour/jewellery that has slots for essences. Before level 100, essence gear with slots really only drops as loot, and the drop rate is quite low. When you get to Western Gondor, you'll start receiving basic essence armour and level matched essences as quest rewards.

Starting in Dol Amroth (the main hub for Western Gondor) you can barter tokens for essence gear and essences (skirmish camps also barter essences for skirmish marks). From Dol Amroth onwards, each main zone has new sets of essence gear and essences. There is also crafted essence armour and jewellery starting at level 100, T-10 Arnorian crafting tier.

Since gear that can use essences before Western Gondor/level 100 has such a low drop rate, don't both hanging onto the essences until you have a reliable way to get the gear that uses the essences (quest reward/barter/crafting), and you'll want essences that are on level for that gear. Why put a level 70 essence on a level 100 piece of gear?

Without a reliable way to get gear that can use essences below level 100, I just sell the essences to NPC vendors and wait until I hit level 100 when I know I can get the essence gear and on level essences reliably.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

The low level Minor Essences you can just vendor or throw away without thinking twice about it. They are just trash.
    Before level 100 the gear that gear that you can slot essences in is rare enough that should you find one, then you will have enough Major or Greater essences to put there anyway.

The Major and Greater essences might be worth saving - or selling on the AH. With emphasis on "might". Should you throw them away you will probably not miss them, but on the other hand you might find some gear to use them on.

At level 100 all this changes, but that is then.

I save the T1 - T4 purple and blue essences (have several storage alts). I've had 2 and 3 slot armor drops (mostly Moria instances while deeding) and used some of it. On occasion folks look for low level blue essences and pay well (the slow leveling / locked at certain levels folks). If you have the storage I'd at lease save the blues.

Junk them. The drop rate for essences at those levels is much higher than that of essence gear, as you have discovered.

At the very least, junk the minor essences and the main stat and b/p/e ones. Even if you had essence gear, you wouldn't want those. You would want vit/morale/mit/mastery/finesse since those are hard to come by on normal gear at those levels.

I would say anything sub-100 can be gotten rid of.

Thanks a million for all the advice and information, everyone!

I'm going to vendor the minor ones, and keep my one single greater one, and all the purple I will put on the AH (on Landroval) for just a copper or two in case someone wants them (and if they don't sell, I will vendor them too)

This is going to free up so much space! Thanks again!
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb