We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    u.s.
    Posts
    21

    lootboxes and keys

    posted some time ago on this as part of "my two cents" but going to rant on it abit more
    this "new" loot box system is so sorry that it does not even merit being a butt of jokes. its sooooo bad that people cant even give away either of the two types of loot boxes.
    to compound the problem is that they made it to where once you outlevel one type you cant even use it.
    then add in that the only way to get keys to open the "rained upon you" loot boxes is from the store and the price is so high that it only drives people to find even more ways to use loop holes in the game in order to generate more points for the expensive keys.
    one of the arguments i have heard on why they changed the loot box system was because keys became problematic with people abusing them. well they already have the solution to that in the form of bound and account bound keys. why cant they simply use the system for other goodies of high value in the game "bind on acquire", to keys?
    why do they keep going around in circles in their constant effort to re invent the wheel, instead of simply using what they already got in material programming.

    just something to think on

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    u.s.
    Posts
    21
    for those that would say i got complaints and no solutions.
    how about bring back the old loot boxes and keys with keys now being account bound so that wipes out the "abusing" keys argument.
    gorgoth and beyond went with black keys so you already started that so just continue it, traveller boxes could be for around dale and explorer could be for around grey mountains. obviously if you make more areas then you got to name the new loot boxes.
    as for new toons being made and that get boxes that once had 3 bound sturdy steel keys and if i got this right they now give out those emotes. well when it comes to getting mathom armour you have to choose which one you want to just use that programming into the years playing lotro box so you either take 3 bound sturdy steel keys or emotes. once again its using what you already got.

    dont be boneheads about this and stop creating more problems and work for yourselves

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DKHitz View Post
    for those that would say i got complaints and no solutions.
    how about bring back the old loot boxes and keys with keys now being account bound so that wipes out the "abusing" keys argument.
    gorgoth and beyond went with black keys so you already started that so just continue it, traveller boxes could be for around dale and explorer could be for around grey mountains. obviously if you make more areas then you got to name the new loot boxes.
    as for new toons being made and that get boxes that once had 3 bound sturdy steel keys and if i got this right they now give out those emotes. well when it comes to getting mathom armour you have to choose which one you want to just use that programming into the years playing lotro box so you either take 3 bound sturdy steel keys or emotes. once again its using what you already got.

    dont be boneheads about this and stop creating more problems and work for yourselves
    I would really like to have back the old Sturdy Steel Keys system… It was great for my low level chars… Give me back the bronze boxes please…
    /signed

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Duintadil View Post
    I would really like to have back the old Sturdy Steel Keys system… It was great for my low level chars… Give me back the bronze boxes please…
    /signed
    You can still buy sturdy steel keys in the store. And you can buy bronze boxes (and the other old-school boxes) at Lalia's for a few silver.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    829
    remove lootboxes n keys from the game!
    dont continue this pay to win system!
    there more ways to make money, listen to your customers!
    provide content n work its the best solution!
    players that have bought your product with real money, should not have to pay a single peny,
    but the value they have accepted by buying it!
    if you have to keep this system, use it only for the F2P customers!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

  6. #6
    I cannot count the number of loot boxes I have just deleted from my packs. They fall like rain, and unless you want to pay 195 tps for a key, all they do is take up room. This is so ill thought out it is silly.
    The Lonely Mountain Band
    Pouncival-Rank 15 aroo-Leader of the Pouncing Pwny
    We Pounce Because We Care

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DKHitz View Post
    one of the arguments i have heard on why they changed the loot box system was because keys became problematic with people abusing them. well they already have the solution to that in the form of bound and account bound keys. why cant they simply use the system for other goodies of high value in the game "bind on acquire", to keys?
    why do they keep going around in circles in their constant effort to re invent the wheel, instead of simply using what they already got in material programming.

    just something to think on
    They are 100% conscious of what they're doing and with perfect execution:
    1- Remove low level keys so people can no longer acquire stat tomes + tomes of defence in a reliable way without using the store.
    2- Remove any in game source to acquire the new black steel keys which are universal now. Only store remaining.
    3- Remove low level lootboxes at all.
    4- Players are stupid enough to buy dozens of keys from store so they keep this system.

    Don't think SSG are stupid in what concerns the lootbox system, they are just too greedy to think mid/long-term how much they are damaging playerbase/game.
    I know lots of really good and top raiders that just left the game or didn't play endgame at all because the absurdly slow gearing proccess if you don't buy keys. Also LI grind...

    My suggestion:
    Remove keys from the store.
    Remove completely empowerment scrolls/legacy increase/option to use mithril coin to upgrade LIs.
    And then do whatever you wanna do after it. Or better, let all SSG staff play the game from 0 with only an aria of the valar. No store allowed other than 500tp a month (same as VIP). Not any cheat allowed ofc. And the aim is to get a raid ready alt. 376 iLvl gear from barterer, maxed LIs. (no need to know how to play the class, just the gearing proccess). I bet they can't in less than 1 year or 2.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    u.s.
    Posts
    21
    well you give them alot of credit, to where i do not.
    this is no different then the every two year rotation at any command. every command i went to, i would see how the previous person set up like, supply. depending on if i thought the setup merited no changes or i would implement overhauls. same would be when i left and the next person would take over the position i just held.
    of course enough people would just do overhauls because they wanted to "put their own stamp on it" and not because there was anything wrong with how it was.
    same goes with ssg new loot box system. outside having to make a few minor changes, the old system, it was a workable system.
    yes i understand the argument that low level toons could get some nice "goodies" but when your doing grind work for deeds or slogging away doing quests. its meant to be a sweetener for all the time and effort being put in. there is plenty of loopholes in the game and there isnt any games that dont have them. but the old loot box system was very repairable to make it less "loop holey".

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    41
    Agreed with removing lootboxes and keys system. Instead, unpack lootbox contents and sell individual items as is, so players get what their want for what they paid. But then, another issue will be raised, endgame P2W. So SSG have to think of something to deliver them at best.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Valahand View Post
    Agreed with removing lootboxes and keys system. Instead, unpack lootbox contents and sell individual items as is, so players get what their want for what they paid. But then, another issue will be raised, endgame P2W. So SSG have to think of something to deliver them at best.
    Already there. Typical lootbox yields:
    Some gear item you can ash for 200-400 embers.
    Some cosmetic you can ash for figments.
    Some straight-up embers.
    And it is a total gamble.
    Item can be a blue that is an actual upgrade, essentially a 3500 ember worth or it can be a purple junk that will yield 200 embers.
    Cosmetic can be the 7500 figment piece you REALLY wanted (7500 ember worth) or you might not care for that stuff at all.
    Embers can range anywhere from 200 to 2000.
    So a single box can be a 12000 ember jackpot or a 400 ember fizzle. IMHO would be better to just put sonething like '1000 embers for 100lp' in store and be done, but I am sure gamble model makes them more $$.

  11. #11
    The boxes are a nuisance, I have all character slots used up to store these ridiculous things...in the event common sense kicks in and the Dev's do something about keys for ViP's.

    That said, I absolutely agree with this comment, as a ViP/SUB it's the only real complaint I have about this game.


    Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    remove lootboxes n keys from the game!
    dont continue this pay to win system!
    there more ways to make money, listen to your customers!
    provide content n work its the best solution!
    players that have bought your product with real money, should not have to pay a single peny,
    but the value they have accepted by buying it!
    if you have to keep this system, use it only for the F2P customers!
    At the rate these boxes drop, for 195 LP I'd go broke opening them.

    I also find the expansion pricing a bit much, particularly Helm's Deep, I simply repeated the same Skirmish instances for ten levels for weeks, from 85-95 as a ViP to level and gain access to Gondor....I seriously considered leaving the game, that was one monotonous grind.

    .
    Last edited by Bogglie; Mar 19 2019 at 09:56 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Kander View Post
    4- Players are stupid enough to buy dozens of keys from store so they keep this system.
    There's the root of all things bad about the store - stupid people and those who shell out real life money for the "perks" of the store and - you guessed it - keys.

    Until everyone stops buying things with irl cash, they will never change what they're doing, thus where greed comes into play.

    I agree 100% with everyone who wants to revert back to keys dropping or eradicate the keys and lootbox system as a whole.
    And the keys HAVE to drop as often as a lootbox does.
    It makes those with money able to get a edge over those who don't have money or are in a country that has a currency that's a tenth, or worse, as strong as the US dollar.
    Hence the term pay to win.

    Then these said people always brag about being "good" because their armor is so much superior to those who have to ride the coattails of Mordor armor until they can get better.
    And what's funny is that more than half the time, they don't even know how to play their own class or know anything about the game because they buy Aria of the Valar and never looked back.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    u.s.
    Posts
    21
    some good noteworthy comments
    just some additional food for thought here
    someone mentioned about how in bree at the hobbits clothing store you can get old lootboxes
    i didnt know because outside when it first opened years ago, i have not been in there since
    went there to see if its true and yes you get them from the vendor dusty and all lootboxes of old be it the level 10 or anorien lvl 100 are all 1 silver and 32 copper
    yepper you see that right, does not matter what level the old lootbox is for, they are all priced the same

    now why i bring this up because its just like when they did away with all the component parts you needed to make things in crafting. yes if it took metal you first had to make a bunch of parts to then put them together into whatever it was you wanted to make
    that was also a big part of how to level up in crafting as well
    now its turn whatever into scraps then scraps into a whole whatever
    but how the two connect is this. they never got rid of the old crafting system. it just became "not used" anymore but now if you got the old craft system stuff you can convert it. but it still takes up programming space and so does the new loot boxes and the old loot boxes because you can still buy them
    so now not only is the old crafting system taking up who knows how much programming space, now this new loot box system is taking up who knows how much programming space
    now why they just didnt in the old crafting just auto convert whatever into a ingot or such and drop the entire system keeps making me think they really dont know what they are doing. and yes there have been other instances to where they removed an entire segment out of the game so its already been done before. i.e. old moria deeds

    so back to my original posting. instead of just fixing a problem, they instead invent the wheel and then make more problems in the aftermath then what they had before with said problem. if there was a problem with keys being corrupting, gold, then simply account or bound to toon. if certain goodies are deemed corrupting, gold, then make them bound as well. if they wanted to introduce their new mote system then fine, add it to new loot boxes from dale and grey mountains.

    what turns customers into frustrated people is all the boneheadedness that goes on and has been going pretty since wildermore. STOP BEING BONEHEADS AND OPEN YOUR EARS TO NOT JUST THE BROWNNOSERS BUT THOSE THAT ARE ACTUALLY CRITICAL AS WELL.
    just something to think on

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload