We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Seeking Advice For A New L100 Hunter Please.

Although I have played LoTRO on and off for many years I have only just reached L100 on my Hunter and I am seeking advice & guidance on weapons & gear etc. please.

I mainly play solo and don't currently have a Kin but I have access to two high level crafters (Tailor & Jeweller). I have just finished questing in West Rohan and am about to start the quest/epic arc in Western Gondor.

I would much appreciate some pointers about the type of gear & weapons I should be aiming to obtain as I move through the last 20 levels. Right now I am using crafted L95 teal jewellery & armour and I have L95ish Legendary Weapons.

Is decent gear still available & viable as a solo player post-L100? What kind of equipment do I need to survive (and not be an embarrassment!) in 3 & 6 player instances & skirmishes? Do I need L100 First Age weapons now?

Many thanks in advance to anyone willing to take the time and make the effort to set out an equipment 'roadmap' for me please.

Heya,

As you just reached lvl 100, the very first thing you want to do in my opinion, is to get 1st age lvl 100 weapons.
    You'll keep these till current level cap, so it's important to get them ASAP and to get the right legacies on them before imbuement.

Considering you'll need lots of Crystals and empowerment scrolls to max them, it's best to do it right the first time.

Regarding armour and jewels, it really depends if you want to 'rush' to level cap or enjoy all the contents on the way.

If you plan to reach 120 fast, the quest gear is enough, even if Mordor might proove to be a pain.
    You get pretty nice gear through the epic quests so be sure to do those.

Also you'll want to get the class points on the way... or go back to fetch them once you reach 120.

Smile

@FaeForSin. First off thank you muchly for the speedy reply.

I am more than happy to plod through the zone content & questlines. I am pretty much a completionist when it comes to quests and have no desire to rush to L120. I also make sure that my 2 crafters (Tailor & Jeweller) keep pace so that I can make level appropriate gear for my adventurer. With this in mind I take it that I ought to be able to find recipes and craft reasonable armour & jewellery as I progress?

I have also made sure to keep right up to speed with class/trait points. The only ones I might struggle with are the 2 awarded for Epic Battles which, if I understand correctly, cannot be solo'd and require 2 players as a minimum. Please feel free to correct me if I have this wrong!

Any other advice, guidance and pointers very gratefully received.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FaeForSin View Post
    Heya,

As you just reached lvl 100, the very first thing you want to do in my opinion, is to get 1st age lvl 100 weapons.
    You'll keep these till current level cap, so it's important to get them ASAP and to get the right legacies on them before imbuement.

Considering you'll need lots of Crystals and empowerment scrolls to max them, it's best to do it right the first time.

Regarding armour and jewels, it really depends if you want to 'rush' to level cap or enjoy all the contents on the way.

If you plan to reach 120 fast, the quest gear is enough, even if Mordor might proove to be a pain.
    You get pretty nice gear through the epic quests so be sure to do those.

Also you'll want to get the class points on the way... or go back to fetch them once you reach 120.
    Other than getting the L100 Li's, you dont need much for now; L100 gear is going to crush just about anything you are going to come across, up to and beyond Helms Deep.
    Keep an eye out for Goldielocks and the Three Bears, and be careful of the roaming war bands, that is about all you need to know.

The HD epics are the only thing that are going to cause you trouble, and that is because they are pretty awfully coded; read a few guides before you try them,, and bear in mind SSG have been fiddling, so not everything in the guides will match what currently happens.

Some things to consider:

The level cap was 100 for 21 months, through Gondor and Minas Tirith. You say you're a completionist, that is a lot of content, and you will be over level for most of it.

Whether or not you are rushing to level cap, two major changes happened during this period, LI imbuement and essence gear. You'll need to figure these out.

Imbuement in particular requires a lot of planning to get what you want and avoid pitfalls. You want to arrange to get all the legacies you like (realizing that some change on imbuement, and that it is much cheaper to replace them before imbuing than after). You need to have enough IXP runes available so you don't take a step backward on day 1. Start planning soon, but don't imbue until you're ready. You can find guides, here's mine https://michaleo.wordpress.com/2019/...t-update-23-2/

Essences give you the ability to significantly customize your gear. Instead of choosing between a few options for crafted gear at lower levels, you will be able to choose how much of which stats are best for you. You'll want to understand the current stat arithmetic and decide how to trade off mastery, crit, morale, etc. You'll need to watch for, barter or craft (crafting essences requires Universal Solvents which cost LP) the essences you want.

At 100 and 105, most gear is bartered, not crafted. Good news/bad news is that Westemnet is the last tier for dropped recipes. There is a long grind in Dol Amroth to get teal 4-slot or set bonus armour. Quest rewards are purple 3-slot and should be good enough. At 105, Anorien tier has purple/teal crit 3-slot crafted gear (built-in recipes) as well as bartered options. Higher level gear can use higher tier essences.

At 105, new schemes for bartering gear involved picking flowers (ikyn!) in North Ithilien and crafting rep items in The Wastes. That led up to Mordor, where originally ashes, now motes, figments, and embers are the barter currency. At 115 and 120, there is also bartered gear for quest tokens and crafted gear using bartered recipes. It all uses essences, so you can decide how much you want to explore the various options.

Hopefully, it doesn't make you want to go back to Bree and open a juice bar.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Truroar / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval www.shadowbanekinship.com michaleo.wordpress.com

@Yarbro. Thanks for your reply :-) I have now obtained my two First Age LI's (at considerable expense!) so let the grind begin! Goldielocks & The Three Bears sounds both cute and disturbing in equal measure.

@Michaleo. Thank you for a great summary of what lies ahead. It very neatly condenses dozens (perhaps hundreds) of pages of wiki material into one simple & easily absorbed chunk. Extremely helpful.

Your blog regarding the imbuement path/process is also invaluable. I had already started doing some research on the topic and had found a couple of somewhat out-of-date guides but yours is *exactly* what I needed. Thank you.

Since my return to the game a couple of months back I quickly found that I was out-levelling content so I periodically use my 'tortoise stone' to bring things back into sync (slightly annoying that a better mechanic isn't available in the game to pause XP gain without also having to lose the stats on my pocket item /sigh).

My overriding impression of the next 20 levels is that it seems to be an almost overwhelming grind in every direction. The cynic in me is inclined to think that SSG deliberately designed it that way as part of their business plan. The temptation to easily acquire so much of what you need using real money (lotro Points) is almost irresistible.

Last night I completed my first Epic Battle (Helm's Dike) solo. Somehow I manged to succeed (just!) but this morning I have had two failures on the second one (The Deeping Wall) and I can't say that I found these 'instances' to be at all enjoyable. Perhaps they are more fun Duo or in a Fellowship? Actually figuring out what to do & how to do it isn't intuitive at all but I guess that learning will come as I repeat the encounters.

Right now your suggestion to retreat to Bree and start a Juice Bar sounds very appealing!! In all seriousness though I intend to have a long hard think about whether I might derive more enjoyment from lower level stuff on alts or even find another more fun filled MMO because L100 to L120 feels rather like having a second job!

Many thanks once again for all the really helpful stuff that you took the time and trouble to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Crax2 View Post
    @Yarbro. Thanks for your reply :-) I have now obtained my two First Age LI's (at considerable expense!) so let the grind begin! Goldielocks & The Three Bears sounds both cute and disturbing in equal measure.

@Michaleo. Thank you for a great summary of what lies ahead. It very neatly condenses dozens (perhaps hundreds) of pages of wiki material into one simple & easily absorbed chunk. Extremely helpful.

Your blog regarding the imbuement path/process is also invaluable. I had already started doing some research on the topic and had found a couple of somewhat out-of-date guides but yours is *exactly* what I needed. Thank you.

Since my return to the game a couple of months back I quickly found that I was out-levelling content so I periodically use my 'tortoise stone' to bring things back into sync (slightly annoying that a better mechanic isn't available in the game to pause XP gain without also having to lose the stats on my pocket item /sigh).

My overriding impression of the next 20 levels is that it seems to be an almost overwhelming grind in every direction. The cynic in me is inclined to think that SSG deliberately designed it that way as part of their business plan. The temptation to easily acquire so much of what you need using real money (lotro Points) is almost irresistible.

Last night I completed my first Epic Battle (Helm's Dike) solo. Somehow I manged to succeed (just!) but this morning I have had two failures on the second one (The Deeping Wall) and I can't say that I found these 'instances' to be at all enjoyable. Perhaps they are more fun Duo or in a Fellowship? Actually figuring out what to do & how to do it isn't intuitive at all but I guess that learning will come as I repeat the encounters.

Right now your suggestion to retreat to Bree and start a Juice Bar sounds very appealing!! In all seriousness though I intend to have a long hard think about whether I might derive more enjoyment from lower level stuff on alts or even find another more fun filled MMO because L100 to L120 feels rather like having a second job!

Many thanks once again for all the really helpful stuff that you took the time and trouble to post.
    I have 5 alts between L90 and L112, and yet spend 99.99% of my time with bringing up another set of alts - currently at L50 - 55 and being completely completionist before they enter Moria.

SSG have forgotten that the game is supposed to be fun.