We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lvl 20 Light armour overkill

I met a young player today and thought I would make him/her some lvl 20 light armor to help him/her along their journey. What I found was to make a piece of that armour, it was single use, I needed glazed & brushed leathers, a sapphire shard and a bolt of linen cloth. If I wanted to make it crit I would also need a journeyman's tailor journal.

Is this not a bit of overkill for a 20 level? Simple leathers and a bought item to make them sounds reasonable enough. As it is no way I am going to all this trouble to make this armour. I will have him/her wait until lvl 22 when all I need is sturdy leather and a bolt of cotton.

Why are these recipes never looked at and revised?
    I dance for cookies!

Some sort of Crafting update and overhaul coming according to the Producers Letter out today.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

This is good news!
    I dance for cookies!

You are talking about the best piece of crafting equipment you can make. Overkill? not at all. If you are traveling smart through an area, (you kill everything on sight or mine/cut everything on sight, on your path to anything) you will have enough materials to make the blue equipment. The journal itself? you need to buy that or ask a scholar to make it for you. That is how it is, that is the effort you have to put in to make the BEST gear from that tier, that level.

The piece itself will give you great stats, great armour and will probably last for the next 10 levels. I am now lvl 45, i have experienced this first hand. I craft myself the best gear every 10 levels. Some items last 5, sometimes, after a very good quest reward i swap it after 3 levels.

Again, if you want the best gear, put the effort in. I don't find it overkill. It is gear that deserves your time and money.
    "my worth is undefined. I can tear down enemy armour, boil their blood, sap their strength, slow their speed, read their weaknesses.... I can summon the thunder, bend the earth. Struck their feet. Blind their eyes. Test their will. Know this, and fear" - Self declaration from Boarcas Orcpelt, before advancing through the gate of Elendil

Do you really need the best there is at level 20? This player had a few pieces of quest armor that wasn't too good. All I was thinking to do is help them along. Mobs are pretty easy at this level. Thanks though for the insight to how long the level armor lasts. BTW my intention wasn't to make the best there was/is, but this was all that was offered in my craft skill list.
    I dance for cookies!

That crafted gear is from before instances scaled so crafting level 20 crit gear would've be around par with GB instance gear. The single use recipes shouldn't be compared to quest items but to instance items, hence more mats needed.

That was the only level 20 gear I had in my craft list. Probably been in there a long time. Checking now I see skirmish lvl 20 gear as being pretty good.
    I dance for cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMcDermott View Post
    That was the only level 20 gear I had in my craft list. Probably been in there a long time. Checking now I see skirmish lvl 20 gear as being pretty good.
    Level 18 (followed by level 22) would be the mass produced cheaper crafted gear; while the 20 is the single use recipes higher end gear. Skirmish gear is great if you've got marks, otherwise mixing & matching lvl 18 + lvl 20 crafted works well too.

It is what you call opportunity gear. You don't really plan for it. Like you don't really plan for that rare item off a rare mob/instance chest. But as you adventure through an area, you might get the recipes and shards. If you do, you can treat yourself to some higher quality gear. A couple thoughts though...
    1. A crafted lvl 20 blue should be better than lvl 22 and lvl 28 stuff.
    2. Considering crit journal recipes are also single use and require a shard, these journals should up crit chance to 100%.

Oh if you really wanna twink someone out, those shards are quite cheap at skirm camps. You can get recipe scrolls there too, but getting the right recipe is very much a matter of luck.

I am not sure I understand this. Are you comparing apples to apples? Should not level 22 or 28 Blue be better than 20 blue? Or can blue not be made at those levels? If not why?
    I dance for cookies!

Level 20 is top of Journeyman tier, more on that later.
    To take Expert Metalsmith as example:
    At lvl 22, 25 and 28, you got sets of armor which are green normal, purple crit. Those are infinite-use recipes, requiring only standard drop and supplier materials, and taking a regular crit drop to increase crit chance. Nothing fancy. You will not find blue recipies at those levels.

The top recipes of a tier, (i.e 20, 30) however, are a different story. They are purple normal, blue crit and are a cut above the other levels. Single use recipe, requires a shard and takes a special journal for crit component. IIRC, lvl 20 blue is better than lvl 22 purple but worse than lvl 25 purple.

So my point: do not really consider lvl 20 stuff 'available'. There is lvl 18, there is lvl 22. If, on the way to 20, one managed to score some shards and recipes, they can treat themselves to some nice stuff that will last them for next 5 levels or so.

Note that starting at lvl 30, all those single use blues are available as guild recipes. They still require shards (available for marks/meds), they need guild standing, and they require a guild emblem which is on a cooldown. BUT they are infinite use recipes guaranteed to crit.

I 've made it to lvl 23 wearing my crafted 15 armour. I know this will get me in trouble if I keep it until 30. I better start looking around for some light recipes. I never knew there were top tiers at those levels. Now I understand why it takes so much to make them.
    I dance for cookies!

Assiming you are tailor, lvl 22 recipes are basic (granted upon unlocking the tier) lvl 25 are vendor (off novice/expert tailor) and 28/30 are drop recipes coming from expert level scrolls. (Lvl 30 being single use) if you worked on your guild standing you also should be able to get lvl 30 blue guild recipes at Esteldin crafting hall.