We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will we get one big server per region EU US?

It's very quiet out there.

Hi. At which server and which language are you playing lease? I am at Gwaihir(german) and here are enough peoples online to having got an nice chat or asking questions/help / getting help of each others.

Only the lowlvl(under 100) instance finder could be international. No one is finding 1 group ever.

The Legendary Servers Ithil and Anor already do this with combined EU and NA playerbases.
    Varkking - Dwarf Rune-Keeper - Syndicate - Anor Server
    Moderator of Lord of the Rings On Prime Subreddit.

Remember that a large number of players active on a server is one of the things that contributes to LAG.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

May the Valar and Iluvatar protect us from more merges, loss of names and overcrowded servers and even more lag.

I vote not just no but HELL NO.

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    May the Valar and Iluvatar protect us from more merges, loss of names and overcrowded servers and even more lag.

Again, this isn't an issue on Anor. Whatever server he is on is clearly low population and might need a boost.
    Varkking - Dwarf Rune-Keeper - Syndicate - Anor Server
    Moderator of Lord of the Rings On Prime Subreddit.

I foresee another server merge, perhaps next year. Gladden is a tumbleweed prairie. I am guessing SSG is waiting for another server to become desolate enough to cut the cancer off to 2 remaining ones on US side. Landroval will survive due to RP affiliation and I'm guessing Brandywine with its most rubust server population. Which is ironic as Landroval is second least populated server after Gladden.

Crickhollow and Arkenstone are too active yet to tamper with. If anything requires consolidating, Gladden and Landroval should be the ones to go, but of course that will not happen due to RP issues. Eventually the cuts will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelir View Post
    I foresee another server merge, perhaps next year. Gladden is a tumbleweed prairie. I am guessing SSG is waiting for another server to become desolate enough to cut the cancer off to 2 remaining ones on US side. Landroval will survive due to RP affiliation and I'm guessing Brandywine with its most rubust server population. Which is ironic as Landroval is second least populated server after Gladden.

Crickhollow and Arkenstone are too active yet to tamper with. If anything requires consolidating, Gladden and Landroval should be the ones to go, but of course that will not happen due to RP issues. Eventually the cuts will come.
    I would presume many of the Gladden people would head to Landy over any of the other choices. There are reasons why many play on Gladden over Arken, Brandy or Crick. I would feel Landy would be the most compatible for the Gladden people.
    "I am condescending, that means I talk down to you." Well just for those who go out of their way to need it.

It's TECHNICALLY possible to do so, they will just use the very same merging technology they have used in the past. But i am not yet sure if it is needed.... First off, we have to remember that they support three languages, so on the EU side they would have to have 3 servers, EN, DE, and FR.

If they decided to further merge servers (which isn't that uncommon, Everquest has merged servers like 4 times already or so) I think it is more likely that they will go from 5 servers to 3 servers.

You have to remember that a LOT of players had characters on various servers when the first mergers happened. Besides Riddermark, I had toons on Firefoot and Meneldor, and the combined amount wouldn't fit on ONE server of the 5, so I dumped most toons on Arkenstone, and put the rest on Crickhollow. I also already HAD a toon or two on Gladden.... they are still there. Reducing the servers from 5 to just ONE server is going to put severe strain on those who have a lot of alts spread around, and you can't expect everyone to just BUY more character slots.

A reduction from 5 to 3 servers however.... is much more workable, and much more realistic - IF - and I stress IF - they ever do another merge. People would have enough character slots to place their characters over 3 servers, which should probably cover MOST people with a lot of alts on various servers. It would also cover the English, French and German servers on the EU side.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Same here, I don't want to go through that again.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Same here, I don't want to go through that again.
    Ditto..but it's sunday, potentially prime game time, I see a trickle of chat and no sense of game being populated outside the already merged VIP servers. /who on Landy right now says 150 non-anon

Quote Originally Posted by macroscian View Post
    it's very quiet out there.
    no and no and no
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    no and no and no
    You're on Evernight. Unless you roleplay, you're already using the merged English eu server.
    Just so you know!

Thumbs down

I really hope not.

It was painful enough once.

With LoTRO's outdated naming system and only one person can have a specific name it feels like losing ones characters identity every time that happens and someone else have the name You have used for years (11 years in some cases now). In newer MMO RPG's Your account is tied to a unique identity meaning any number of people can have the name character names, as the system can still identified to which account each one belongs. For example in GW2 if You name Your character, say "David" and Your account registry is "Oscar.Wilde", it would be "David@Oscar.Wilde" for the system to identify. Still other players would see Your character as simply "David" in the game. In the friendslist You can have many "Davids" but still with a unique number attached to it to identify who is who. For example "David.1487". I think STO uses something like that as well. It's been a while since I checked. Not to mention for some they might alreday have alot of characters on various servers meaning they don't have enough character slots to keep all and would be forced to delete some they have worked alot on.

Just reading a while back that SW TOR was going to do a server merge made me not even want to deal with. Not even to log on to check. Too much of a hassle and a really convoluted system as to whom had priority to keep a name etc. Just reading the axplanation and trying tounderstand it gave me a headache and NOT bothering to d/l all updates to check it out. Although I have a nice old account that I bought with the collectors edition with a Darth Malgus statue prior to release. Still got the box and stuff in my shelf at home though. Beside it is my GW2 Collectors with a Rythlock statue. It's makes some nice decorations I think. Although I'm not playing any of those games anymore. Just LoTRO as my only MMO RPG atm. I'm hoping it will stay that way but decisions likes these along with other decisions that SSG/Daybreak can make could change that of course.

Back on topic. Just please NO.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Mar 17 2019 at 03:11 AM.

An small thing: double names= the risk of unwanted copy paste spammers which are thinking it isfunny to making you looking bad. Please no.

I think if they ever do another server merge it wont be till after the Minas Morgul Expansion. If they merge before hand and Minas Morgul is a hit and players return, they risk overpopulation and instability. I would expect at least a year before any server merges, if needed.

Laurelin's population has remained steady the past few months, iirc. I expect server pop to drop slowly the next several weeks/month until news about Update 24 and The Vales is released, then players will come back.

Agreed.

The last round of server merges was extremely painful.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf21x View Post
    I think if they ever do another server merge it wont be till after the Minas Morgul Expansion. If they merge before hand and Minas Morgul is a hit and players return, they risk overpopulation and instability. I would expect at least a year before any server merges, if needed.

Laurelin's population has remained steady the past few months, iirc. I expect server pop to drop slowly the next several weeks/month until news about Update 24 and The Vales is released, then players will come back.
    Laurelin had a /who of around 400 and Evernight over 700 weekend prime hours.
    830 sunday morning, right now, Laurelin has a /who of 167 and Evernight 256.

EDIT Crick 206, Brandywine 348, Gladden 112, Landy 143 and Ark 235.
    Surprised by BW server but they did get many of the ex Russian server population and for them it's sunday 10AM ish for the far west bits and into the afternoon for the other time zones there. Also noting the healthier Ark!
    Gwaihir 264, Belegaer 199 and Sirannon 132.
    /EDIT

Landroval, Crick, Gladden, Brandywine and Arkenstone had 150-200 each in /who command. At prime US east hours.
    Admittedly this only shows non-anon but it's to say that you see the effect less on the EU servers.

Xmas prime hours had Leg server numbers of around 400 for Ithil and 1100 for Anor.

Unsure what the % is for anon/non-anon but a generous 75% /anon on says the US servers have rather desperately low numbers.
    Last edited by Macroscian; Mar 17 2019 at 03:55 AM.

SSG should include three transfer tokens with purchase of a one year VIP subscription.

They benefit, and those seeking larger Pop servers can do so.

That being said, I hope no more merges occur.

most of the live servers often average more log-ins than Anor and Ithil between expansions. so keep it in perspective.

It would be kindof stupid to take away the only French server, or the only German server. or Laurelin the RP server, and Landroval the RE server. The only server that might be targeted would be Gladden, since crickhollow, arkenstone, and brandywine are all healthy. So, not worth the trouble.

LOTRO likely runs on virtual servers anyhow, not 12 separate physical servers.

Not that the server pops were huge to begin with, but this is a self-inflicted wound of SSG's own devising. They moved the pops to the legendary servers, what else did they ever expect to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    Laurelin had a /who of around 400 and Evernight over 700 weekend prime hours.
    830 sunday morning, right now, Laurelin has a /who of 167 and Evernight 256.

EDIT Crick 206, Brandywine 348, Gladden 112, Landy 143 and Ark 235.
    Surprised by BW server but they did get many of the ex Russian server population and for them it's sunday 10AM ish for the far west bits and into the afternoon for the other time zones there. Also noting the healthier Ark!
    Gwaihir 264, Belegaer 199 and Sirannon 132.
    /EDIT

Landroval, Crick, Gladden, Brandywine and Arkenstone had 150-200 each in /who command. At prime US east hours.
    Admittedly this only shows non-anon but it's to say that you see the effect less on the EU servers.

Xmas prime hours had Leg server numbers of around 400 for Ithil and 1100 for Anor.

Unsure what the % is for anon/non-anon but a generous 75% /anon on says the US servers have rather desperately low numbers.
    Hmm. I was on Landroval last night at 9PM server time and there were more than 500 non-anons on at the time. Now at 2AM server time, I could see 150 non-anons being on. And remember that 9PM Eastern in 6PM Pacific; so the peak is flatter and runs longer. US East coast population and the West coast population is about the same and about one third. The other third are mostly Central and the big cities that are Mountain (Denver, CO and Phoenix, AZ)
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    It's very quiet out there.
    Will need to be 3 regions, US, EU and UK

Maybe add "Earth-chat". Combined version of " World-chat" from multiple servers, by region. That way player from other server can communicate with player from another server. #random #idea

Honestly, I really hope so. It will allow more for more grouping. Also, there are like 10 raiding kins on Ark, with most of them not even filling raids with people of their own kin, but filling with friends/discord pugs. Would be cool to allow for more groups to be made.
    Death's Bane : Arkenstone : Endgame
    Mirage : Arkenstone : 75 Capped
    Meneldor Native

Laurelin is very International, and I like it that way. I often see many languages and even alphabets in World Chat. The community is friendly and welcoming even if some of the regular chatters get a bit snarky (with each other) at times, giving as good as they get (which often leads to some very funny text, especially if you are not following the conversation too closely). Several of the main residents are polyglots and try to be helpful in your native tongue, whether it be Irish, Russian, German, Nordic, Greek or whatever. It is an RP Sever but the RP is light in general although there are Kinships that are heavy RP, if you want that.

Laurelin runs 24/7 with many players from the USA/Canada and even Australia and NZ making it their home.

Laurelin is perfect the way it is and any merger would be harmful to its community for many servers are not as welcoming of a polyglot World Chat or as understanding of RP conversations and events.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast