We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The road to 120, a Lore-master's perspective

Introduction:
    This will more or less be a personal wish list, handy tactics, and small observations of my journey as a Lore-master. I am currently (16 February 2019) lvl 40, started some quests in Angmar, and will start in Misty mountains and later on Forochel.

I am a 7 year lotro member now, have been vip almost always and a fan of slowtro, slow leveling or tortoise stone user, whatever you prefer to call me in that category.
    Lotro is for me the perfect unperfect game. I like to take it as it is, and sometimes i wish something was different.
    The abilities, the faded lines between roles but still prominent in its core are a great appeal to me. You can be a little bit different from the rest, and still remain in the pack.

Since a year or so i have been using the tortoise stone constantly. I am doing my utmost effort to do all quests, to do all quests on-level and to experience everything as pure as it can get. Reading quests description has been my weakness, and just today i started to give that more time.

I like crafting, i like to get the best gear for my current level available. I like that quest rewards are now sometimes better then crafting gear, or even more rare, landscape loot.

Core:
    My meaning with this thread is for me to have a small platform to voice my low key opinion, and to simply comment on everything regarding my character. Most of it will be related to Lore-master, either its abilities, traits, cosmetics, theme, animations, quests and so on.

The reason i do this today? After a quick glance over the forum, there are countless threads of passionate people who want improvements of certain things, changes or just have very reasonable annotations. I like to read well informed walls of texts. I digress. After seeing countless threads, it made me doubt if any developer is reading the forum. There is no check mark that says "an important person to the game read this" sadly. However, i started to pick up on a certain sentence, and sometimes it was there, in a blue person's post."we always look over and read the forums, feedback is always appreciated" That is beautiful to me. I have a small inclination towards cynicism, but i actually believe that developers are reading our posts, if not, every one of them.

Back to the stereotype threads calling for help/improvement, mine will be slightly different. The only major change i will do; is update only this thread. Commenting after this post, and editing the original post times after times with new information, answers to questions and comments.

Debate is open, players are encouraged to give and more important, argue their opinion. Remarks that are pointed towards someone's personality are dis-encouraged.

Last but not least; I am running in yellow line only. I will probably stay in yellow forever. Everything regarding my Lore-master, is done with that in mind.

CATEGORIES

Real positives

Wish-list
    -A better position of our staff on our back. More centralized, where the bottom and top stick out the same distance, rather than the bottom way more than top. #2
    -A different animation for some dual wield animations. #2

Tactics
    -Position yourself in melee range. At least in landscape, it makes more damage, since the rotation for lower hp mobs is shorter/different, you can actually speed up your time-to-kill slightly more by adding your basic attacks to it.

In General, without clear rubric

(Format: post #number on end for reference, )
    Last edited by fighterkill; Feb 16 2019 at 01:56 PM.
    "my worth is undefined. I can tear down enemy armour, boil their blood, sap their strength, slow their speed, read their weaknesses.... I can summon the thunder, bend the earth. Struck their feet. Blind their eyes. Test their will. Know this, and fear" - Self declaration from Boarcas Orcpelt, before advancing through the gate of Elendil

I would love a better position of the staff on our back. Sometimes staffs are shorter then other’s, and they stick out very well to the left, but don’t come out over the head above the shoulder. It is disproportioned.

An image to visualize why i would want a change.

I wish the Lore-master didn’t get the same dual wielding animations as the other classes. That huge staff in his hand is awesome, and no one could just sweep that easily around like in-game. This is truly a wish for a change in this animation. Maybe use the staff for 1 attack, then comes the sword afterwards, while still keeping the length and weight of the staff in mind. Right now, the cross cutting animation is very unrealistic.

A personalized dual wield loremaster animation sounds awesome. Who's with me?
    Last edited by fighterkill; Feb 17 2019 at 03:32 AM.
    "my worth is undefined. I can tear down enemy armour, boil their blood, sap their strength, slow their speed, read their weaknesses.... I can summon the thunder, bend the earth. Struck their feet. Blind their eyes. Test their will. Know this, and fear" - Self declaration from Boarcas Orcpelt, before advancing through the gate of Elendil

This week i finished Misty Mountains. I am now level 45. What a chore though. up till angmar/misty mountains i enjoyed each region immensely. But Misty Mountains... there was something off about it. First, it is all white, and snow. Which i actually love in real life. But in lotro? meh. To much of the same. Mountains and snow. Almost now interesting buildings, funny landmarks. From a roleplay perspective, i did not enjoy the fighting. First, the deeds are killing countless bears, snow beasts, giants and trolls.

What did they do wrong though? the bears and snow beasts are just animals. I don't like killing animals, especially because i feel more connected to animals because i am a Loremaster. I have my own bear. My staves are from wood. All about nature. I bend nature. I use roots, etc.

And the giants, what did they do to me? they have their own area, their own home. If you leave them alone, they do the same to you. The only thing i found fitting in Misty mountains was killing trolls, and murdering, no slaughtering Goblin-Town. That was a mighty quest to undertake.

I think i dwell and got lost for hours. At some point, i forgot there are 3 stage area's before the instanced door. I was so confused, i stopped at the second, because i though the entrance to the third was the instanced door!

Fun times.

My last mention of something. I realize i am so strong as a yellow line Lore-master, i could pull three trolls, each 12k hp and come out alive. I find that disturbing. I don't like it at all. I wish the game was harder.

My tip today:
    Want to enjoy the game more? Find yourself bored, or dulled?
    Start looking good in-game (in real life is fine to of course hehe). Shine your way through that Great Barrow, blind your enemy with your majestic perfectly fitting armor.

I have found that this can make a real shift in how you play the game. We all have a certain image in our head of our character, how we are supposed to play.

Today i found a bug. I changed my staff to one with better stats, and another damage type, but my 2 melee skills didnt change with it. As the images show. I relogged, restarted the game but didnt help (yet). I'll post an update if something will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by fighterkill View Post
    Today i found a bug. I changed my staff to one with better stats, and another damage type, but my 2 melee skills didnt change with it. As the images show. I relogged, restarted the game but didnt help (yet). I'll post an update if something will fix it.

because this skill scales with you sword.
    If you want to contact me, pls don't write me a Private Message on the Forum, the chance that I read them is low.
    The best way is via Discord:
    Gertes#5389

Quote Originally Posted by Gertes View Post
    because this skill scales with you sword.
    That is impossible. On wiki it says it is the main hand that decides damage, plus damage type.
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Staff-strike

Also, my sword is light damage. Not beleriand, and it should change damage type to light damage then.

Quote Originally Posted by fighterkill View Post
    That is impossible. On wiki it says it is the main hand that decides damage, plus damage type.
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Staff-strike

Also, my sword is light damage. Not beleriand, and it should change damage type to light damage then.
    Ok i just tested it, the skill always has beleriand damage and scales with the tactical damage component (on legendary weapons) so you basic weapon Dps did not effect this skill damage at all.
    But this should be the same across the board for tactical classes (Lm, Rk and Mini )
    If you want to contact me, pls don't write me a Private Message on the Forum, the chance that I read them is low.
    The best way is via Discord:
    Gertes#5389

Hey, thank you for testing! I should have thought about that.

At first hand it seemed it increased/influenced my damage, but that was of course the damage increase from my Will stat, that improved. I'm sorry for my misunderstanding.

Thanks Gertes for setting this straight.

Now on to forochel,

A couple of days ago i came upon the entrance of a cave. Just now, i discovered almost the same entrance somewhere else, if you take the boat from a small fishing tent, on the far end of the land near Sûri-kylä. This cave entrance gives me the message "level to low", which is fine, i understand. But, here comes the interesting part. The first cave i came unto did not give that message. The image is the concerned cave entrance. I am going to the bottom of this....

What does your combat log say, Dwarf -make or Beleriand? If it shows the correct type for the weapon, then the error is cosmetic, though annoying.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Some remarks of my travels

A funny bug(?), i think

Got stuck in Trollshaws, in a very surprising spot. I could not jump high enough, not move any direction. I was FURIOUS for a moment. Then i decided to channel that into posting here.

And last, but not least.

I am now roaming in Angmar, slaying orcs and extinguishing evil, i have seen Elite Giants spreading their evil from a cave, great worms and angmarim instill fear to the inhabitants of Angmar. A dwarven hold in the south still stands, but for how long?

Not to far from Gabilshatûr i came upon a great thread. Sleeping, snoring in a low rumbling there it lay, waiting. I sneaked closer, very carefully. My bear growled, and he moved between me and the Caerog.

I was so close, i could almost touch him.

Nothing happened.

I guess, it didn't saw me a threat, and i did not interrupt his sleep enough to receive any attention.

I still wonder what made him stay calm.

ps: this where some old screenshots i forgot to post earlier.

A new discovery has been made! Far into Angmar, into the rotten and corrupted land i was on a quest towards a small, almost forgotten outpost, near Carn-dûm and it's evil servants within.

A path.. running between the lair of Spider queen Bogbereth and a great rune stone of Angmar. A lesser spider sprung itself unto my bear, Arko. Viciously attacking his back. i was in shock for a moment from the surprise, and then angered at the sneaky way of this creature. "Achatling" was whispered into my head, through my Lore-Master power.

I was quickly disposed of the 8 legged foe.

Afterwards, i went down the path, to see more worthy discoveries.

When i returned, i found an opportunity to jump on a nearby roof. Below my achievement.

I did not realize there was so much to do at level 50. I still haven't moved on to moria, because i had to do so many quests. The epic quest line took me everwhere in Eriador, from countless times to Rivendell to Trollshaws to Forochel to Evendim and so on. So many npc's to talk to. I am glad however that moria got an increase in difficulty, but with that in mind, our crafting gear has also received a boost, and now i wonder if that evens things out. I hope not.

Also, what i haven't told yet is that i actively hunt for staff appearances. I think i have quite a few already, and now i have set my eyes upon the Rift staff. From what i know, it has an unique look not anywhere else found.

My new goal is to also get the Dúnedain Great-steed. A meta deed reward, for completing all deeds for all instances in Angmar. I have problems believing i can achieve it though. For weeks i have tried to find people for Angmar runs, but i haven't managed to run Carn-dûm. And i want to do it on level if possible, that means around lvl 50 (with a max level of 54).

Below some of my staff looks i have gathered already through my journey.

My current look.

When i was traveling in Forochel

My future moria gear.