We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Memorializing Our Lost Players

Here on Landroval, a well-beloved player has recently passed away.

In his memory, I have a suggestion:

Perhaps we could pay LP or something to memorialize departed players somewhere in the game? It would add a lot of comfort to those of us who would like to honor deceased friends.
    Forth, Courserrim!

Catanna of Landroval

Beautiful idea. This can be a decoration item for personal house. With a custom option to fill in a character name, so it will display chosen name. Similar thing exists on Bounder Bounty plaques to commemorate players from different servers - same design prototype can be made as new decoration item, with custom option to fill in your own chosen name.

I am VERY strongly opposed to such memorializing taking place in "public spaces" in Lotro. But in personal house spaces, sure let people do what they want on their own private space.
    Éalá Éarendel engla beorhtast,
    ofer middangeard monnum sended,
    ond sóð
    fæsta sunnan léoma,
    torht ofer tung
    las, þú tída gehwane,
    of sylfum þé symle inlíhtes!

-
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Herwegur View Post
    Beautiful idea. This can be a decoration item for personal house. With a custom option to fill in a character name, so it will display chosen name. Similar thing exists on Bounder Bounty plaques to commemorate players from different servers - same design prototype can be made as new decoration item, with custom option to fill in your own chosen name.

I am VERY strongly opposed to such memorializing taking place in "public spaces" in Lotro. But in personal house spaces, sure let people do what they want on their own private space.
    This is a great idea. I agree about the public spaces--that should be reserved for the most iconic folks we've lost and very subtle, like the Nimoy memorial. I love that one! The private memorial would have a lot of options, inside, outside, kins could do it...

I get what you are saying however, there would need to be some way of verifying that the player in question has actually passed.
    I can see some idiot that takes a dislike to another player and decides to "memorialize" the player that is disliked, and then the disliked player starts getting reported for someone else supposedly using their account.
    There is always someone that will cause trouble.

I think those are all nice ideas and worth supporting, but I fear the realization of a memorial has a lot of tripwires.

The topic of digital inheritance regulations has only started yet. There are the first few ideas, but most digital companies haven't really adopted to the idea that their customers could actually die. This will IMO even bring up the topic of licenses, i.e. can a LOTRO account be handed over to a heir? Does it have to be handed over?

In terms of an ingame memorial there can be several issues. Can such a memorial be created without the consent of the heirs? What if the deceased person opposed a memorial in her/his last will?
    Is this country dependent? How would SSG even verify that a person actually deceased? (assuming the worst case that people could fake their own or someone elses death...).
    One could even see the number of potentially required memorials as a problem, unless access is very restrictive (lots of LP needed).

One feasible solution could probably be to have graves as yard decoration items. Putting a name on them might be a problem (see above), but the kin will know who it is about.
    Of course we have to be aware that there will be people that use the same item for fun in their houses (which would even result in "funny" names on graves).

Quote Originally Posted by Herwegur View Post

Good idea but the custom option won't work. The decoration item with the inscribed name would have to be pushed out to all players in an update in order to be visible to them, never mind the code changes needed to push the inscribed object data to the server. Then, of course, these would need to be reviewed to block memorials to Heywood Jablome, Harry Paratestacles, or worse.

I would suggest creating new interior spaces in each of the racial starter towns and selling custom memorial decorations to place in them via the LOTRO Market. That makes it a less obtrusive public space memorial. You won't have to enter the building for standard game play.

Also note there is already a memorial to a LOTRO player in the Eyes and Guard tavern.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

It’s a good idea, and I like it, but there is just way too much of an opportunity for mischief.

It’s a classic case of why we can’t have nice things.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

While I think it is a great idea to remember the players who have passed (I have one that passed on Riddermark just before the merges, her characters are still there and will be for life....), I don't think we would need to see a memorial in-game. Before you know it, we would see memorials popping up all over the place, possibly for players who have died years ago.

I don't think it's a good idea. IF however something like this IS done, I would ask it to be the Bree graveyard, not far out of town on the way to Trestlebridge. Perhaps a single monument, with a list of names that can simply be added to from time to time..... sort of like the list of names on the Michel Delving bounder's statue.

I do think however, there are too many ways to abuse the system (someone could indeed just be submitting a bunch of names), so one must tread carefully. If you were to charge $50 for the privilege and work for a name to be added, that might help.... if someone really passed away that had a lot of friends... someone setting up a gofundme to collect $5 donations from a few people would work, because their friends would easily part with 5 bucks.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

signed!
    i believe that a heroic monument memorial is a great idea!
    no, not a grave look like thing! but a majestic monument wher more than one names can be added on it!
    i dont believe in the thought that someone would mock by using a heroic monument.......
    worst think they would do is writting his/hers own name on it
    but if a grave, with a sectable name is introdused i know many people that would like to mock others
    (including myself among them)
    now about the funny names.........
    i often have arguments, in game with other players, here in the forum, and even with GMs about the names
    people r using on their ingame characters........., once, while talking with a gm about the name of his toon,
    got muted from world chat......... i was not able to write in world chat n i dont believe that this was a bug........
    SSG SHOULD be more strict about the name usage to be according the lore n force players to use names,
    suitable to the game's lore! if they do this they will be no funny names!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Like others have said its hard to verify each claim of lost life is legit and was a LOTRO community member.
    Varkking - Dwarf Rune-Keeper - Syndicate - Anor Server
    Moderator of Lord of the Rings On Prime Subreddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Good idea but the custom option won't work. The decoration item with the inscribed name would have to be pushed out to all players in an update in order to be visible to them, never mind the code changes needed to push the inscribed object data to the server. Then, of course, these would need to be reviewed to block memorials to Heywood Jablome, Harry Paratestacles, or worse.

I would suggest creating new interior spaces in each of the racial starter towns and selling custom memorial decorations to place in them via the LOTRO Market. That makes it a less obtrusive public space memorial. You won't have to enter the building for standard game play.

Also note there is already a memorial to a LOTRO player in the Eyes and Guard tavern.
    You failed to mention Mike Hunt.
    "I never feed trolls and I don't read spam" - Weird Al Yankovic

Quote Originally Posted by Rugongrod View Post
    You failed to mention Mike Hunt.
    I was avoiding the low hanging fruit.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanborn View Post
    Here on Landroval, a well-beloved player has recently passed away.

In his memory, I have a suggestion:

Perhaps we could pay LP or something to memorialize departed players somewhere in the game? It would add a lot of comfort to those of us who would like to honor deceased friends.
    Condolences for the loss of your friend.

As you can see from the replies in this thread, the idea of an object that can be used as a memorial to a player, comes with many potential problems. I like the idea though.

Perhaps you and your friends could just nominate something in game as the memorial to your lost friend. For example, the Argonath, the mustering tree or one of the many taverns in Middle Earth, set a date and just pay your own tributes. Gather up all your kinnies, light sparklers and fireworks, drink ales, play music and hold sparring parties in honour to your friend. Or buy a house in your neighbourhood where friends can all place items that remind them of the player they have lost. Perhaps ask for a mention in the Beacon.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Possibly naming a character or item in their honor?
    Varkking - Dwarf Rune-Keeper - Syndicate - Anor Server
    Moderator of Lord of the Rings On Prime Subreddit.

Personally, I think that "public" is exactly what memorials are about. We ought to have theme-appropriate memorials near or even in all housing areas where some sort of text -- a permanent message post basically -- can be placed memorializing lost players. But if that is opposed by many, I guess the next-best thing would be some sort of special furniture items for kin houses. Again, it would just be a special sort of message board. Kin officers could have the ability to post memorials for lost kin members.

Quote Originally Posted by Jargonaut View Post
    Personally, I think that "public" is exactly what memorials are about. We ought to have theme-appropriate memorials near or even in all housing areas where some sort of text -- a permanent message post basically -- can be placed memorializing lost players. But if that is opposed by many, I guess the next-best thing would be some sort of special furniture items for kin houses. Again, it would just be a special sort of message board. Kin officers could have the ability to post memorials for lost kin members.
    I don’t think it’s a case of being opposed by many, it’s a case of people pointing out the opportunities for abusing the system.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

I'm against public memorials simply because they're subjective things. As sad as it is for those who lose a friend, they aren't everybody else's friend to mourn. Those are personal moments attempting to be pushed on to everyone else as if it's a shared experience, when ultimately they are just another player to most. They're just not big enough events to the majority to require a permanent marker in-game. I'm all for people and kins having items they can write a message on and place in their houses, but having it on landscape is a bit much.

Give Anor and Ithil PvMP.
    Before making a complaint here, ask yourself this: "Am I still giving SSG money?". If the answer is yes, there's no point complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothir View Post
    I'm against public memorials simply because they're subjective things. As sad as it is for those who lose a friend, they aren't everybody else's friend to mourn. Those are personal moments attempting to be pushed on to everyone else as if it's a shared experience, when ultimately they are just another player to most. They're just not big enough events to the majority to require a permanent marker in-game. I'm all for people and kins having items they can write a message on and place in their houses, but having it on landscape is a bit much.
    I agree 100% with this quote.

I don´t have any issue if they create housing items to transform the garden/part of it into cemetery or house into crypt, with possibility to leave a message or write a name on them. But, please, no public memorials.

Narmeleth doesn´t have one. If she doesn´t, who then deserves a one?
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik.
    English isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes.

I actually adore this idea. A special furniture message board. It could actually go beyond player memorials, and simply be...well, a message board. That could be something with a lot of room for versatility that could lend itself to all kinds of cool things.
    Forth, Courserrim!

Catanna of Landroval

FWIW, I would visit the public memorials of players I never knew. I'm always awed to see people who have touched others like that. If I knew about private ones, I might visit those too.

It's actually pretty straightforward to address most of the abuse issues that have come up on this thread. Submit a published obituary to SGG that matches the name on an account. It's the same thing that's done to submit for bereavement time in a job when a loved ones dies.

There are certainly issues where the user of an account won't match the payment information, but there are still likely ways to offer proof.

Solves the problem of Haywood & Co. and malicious users creating memorials for living people they don't like.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    It's actually pretty straightforward to address most of the abuse issues that have come up on this thread. Submit a published obituary to SGG that matches the name on an account. It's the same thing that's done to submit for bereavement time in a job when a loved ones dies.
    In an international business like LOTRO, differing between real and fake obituaries (or certificates of death) is probably impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothir View Post

I’m in 100% agreement here.

Not only that, I play games to get away from real life.

Memorials in the landscape should be only used in exceptional circumstances . When Leonard Nimoy passed away an NPC called Nimorn appeared in Rivendell then there is Garthebir on the Field of Cormallen is a tribute to Gord Downie, then Ronald Dwale that is of course Tolkien himself, and the Incklings at the Birth and Baby. And there are a few more around, little references and easter eggs we will probably never know. I think landscape memorials, been an NPC or items, should be used for famous people that had a strong connection with Tolkien and his work or with LOTRO.

I am however in favor to allow players 'private' memorials, been a plaque, a painting, a gravestone, or any item that can be personalized with the deceased player's name and displayed in a kin house or private house.

Curious to hear which beloved Landroval player has passed away - sad to hear it

Lightbulb

I'm sorry for Your loss, especialy for family members, relatives, close friends etc. I lost a brother, a grandmother and a father during a fairly short time span. Hardly enough time to mourn one and then another one left us (I'm not a person who shed some tears a couple of days and then it's all over, I take it hard and usually stays with me forever, even if I don't show it as much outwards anymore and keep stuff more inside, of course with less intensity over time, but still never totally gone), so I know what loss to people close means. Had my ex wifes mom die in cancer, my brother fighting cancer and it now seems he is OK, but still under regular check-ups. My mom almost lost to us, as she suffers from dementia and most of the time it's like it's not her anymore.

As for the suggestion I am torn. My empathetic side says of course, do it. My more skeptical and realistic side have to echo some of the concern others have brought up. How to verify if it' true in the future (not saying this case isn't) ??? Not to mention what could it lead too, how many memorials would we end up with eventually ???

It reminds me of the situation in a nightclub where someone comes up and asks for a Birthday greeting, the DJ being kind and does it, then suddenly the DJ has another coming up asking for the same thing for their friend, if he/she does that, then suddenly another and another etc. Eventually it gets very interruptive to the majorty of the crowd. Then the DJ eventually have to say NO, and then the ones that didnt get the birthday greeting read out loud gets upset that others did. Most clubs I have played in over decades have had the policy to not do such thing, maybe play the a requested song or not even that, as it has often gone of out hand in the past. And that are just in clubs with maybe 500-800 people where it can get out of hand in one evening. Imagine on a game servers with an international audience/customer base. Then it's the question on who is to decide if a player was "important" enough to get a memorial ??? Imagine one getting a memorial and another not. Imagine how that feels to the friends of the one who doesn't get a memorial.

And yes, I can also see the potential for some even abusing it as described in some posts. Wanting memorials for some that have not even passed away. Unfortionetly this is the world we live in and people will be people. Not most, but enough to make it the way it is.

I have even imagined one day when I am gone, that my son will carry the torch, keep my characters alive etc in rememberance. Not sure that LoTRO will be around when that day comes, but hey who knows ??? With the risk of sounding dark, we never know when that day comes either really, none of us do. So cherrish every day that You till have those close to You here.

So my heart says yes, while my mind says hmmm and is more cautious and see potential problems that has to be taken into consideration, just like others above.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Mar 02 2019 at 08:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast