We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A question about possible future Shire content.

Hi, and good day to you. A quick question that may be nothing but nonsense, but curiosity reigns. An off the wall mention was made by an NPC of the barrows in the Shire being home to terrible creatures of darkness, or something close to that. Is this something to look forward to, or just chatter to say something different? Again, curious. Do look forward to an answer from some one more in the know than myself.

Did you see the threads about the Ill Omens Skirmish Event?

A few years ago it was mentioned by developers that they were planning to do the "scouring of the shire" at some point in time. When or if this is still plannen, I do not know.... MadeOfLions might be allowed to reveal a little something on that progress.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by William_Day View Post
    Hi, and good day to you. A quick question that may be nothing but nonsense, but curiosity reigns. An off the wall mention was made by an NPC of the barrows in the Shire being home to terrible creatures of darkness, or something close to that. Is this something to look forward to, or just chatter to say something different? Again, curious. Do look forward to an answer from some one more in the know than myself.
    Barrows in the Shire have always have some evil inside of them. It's part of huge region where most of people die during Blight and barrows was infested with spirits when Angmar was invaded by Witch King.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Barrows in the Shire have always have some evil inside of them. It's part of huge region where most of people die during Blight and barrows was infested with spirits when Angmar was invaded by Witch King.
    As far as I know there are exactly no barrows at all in the Shire.

There are a bunch of barrows near the Shire though, in the Barrow-Downs. There have been barrows there for a long, long time, and for most of that time there were no evil inside them.
    The Barrow-Downs used to be part of the Kingdom of Cardolan, and was where the last remnants of Cardolan made their final stand against the Witch-King and the forces of Angmar.
    That was when the Witch-King summoned evil spirits to invade the barrows.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    As far as I know there are exactly no barrows at all in the Shire.

There are a bunch of barrows near the Shire though, in the Barrow-Downs. There have been barrows there for a long, long time, and for most of that time there were no evil inside them.
    The Barrow-Downs used to be part of the Kingdom of Cardolan, and was where the last remnants of Cardolan made their final stand against the Witch-King and the forces of Angmar.
    That was when the Witch-King summoned evil spirits to invade the barrows.
    My faint understanding is that it was less of a last stand and more of a death sentence. Those who survived abandoned the barrows and soon fled north to Arthedain After the spirits were summoned to invade. I made a suggestion post a few weeks ago about expanding on the Minhiriath region for the kingdom of Cardolan, but it was very quickly spammed and derailed by some other forum users that are hostile towards me. Mods would do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    A few years ago it was mentioned by developers that they were planning to do the "scouring of the shire" at some point in time. When or if this is still plannen, I do not know.... MadeOfLions might be allowed to reveal a little something on that progress.
    There are plenty of adventures still to have before we get there!

MoL

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post

MoL
    Are our characters timelords or something?

Quote Originally Posted by ManticoreFalco View Post
    Come, Constable Reggie, to the time machine! We haven't very much... space.

MoL
    I do like this comment a lot! I don’t look forward to the scouring.

Well, a quick look at the timeline tells me there's about six months between the destruction of the ring and the scouring. Keep in mind it's taken 11 real-life years for the game to cover a year or so of events in the trilogy!

Quote Originally Posted by Beastnas View Post
    Well, a quick look at the timeline tells me there's about six months between the destruction of the ring and the scouring. Keep in mind it's taken 11 real-life years for the game to cover a year or so of events in the trilogy!
    But, do you really think this game will be viable in another 11 yrs? It would be the equivalent of trying to sell music nowadays on analogue magnetic cassette tapes.... there is always someone who likes them (looking at you Cordovan) but it will be niche....

I would like the main story plots to be played out sooner rather than never. Forget going to Harad or far off places that only a few care about...

Fill in Eregion and add South Farthing... Do the Scouring and then Lindon and finally the Grey Havens....

However the big issue is that once these plot points are completed they are afraid we will all leave.... Well doombringers said that about Mordor.. But that wasn't the case.

I feel that these will be forever dangled as a carrot for our ever donkey like need for more middle earth..
    WHY DO PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE LEAST, KNOW IT THE LOUDEST?

MoL
    Oh sweet!

I love hearing this, Bingo Boffin.

Long live Lotro!
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

~ Bilbo Baggins * J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Cool

The less time I have to spend in The Shire and the fewer Hobbits I have to see, or listen to, the better, he he he !!!

Only time I like Hobbitses is in Ettens and I can cut their feet off for ingredients in my soup.

Hobbit-Foot

"A trophy ripped from the shattered corpse of a Hobbit."

See what walking with Frodo in Rivendell did to me.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Feb 14 2019 at 08:10 AM.

The Stablemaster is our TARDIS.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    I wondered this myself.

We still have more areas to visit then we have to go back to Mordor for whatever else we need along with Minis Morgul.

If I was to guess, I'd say maybe in a couple of years time if we are done with Mordor that is. This would allow me to officially retire in the Shire. :-)
    In place of a dark lord, you shall have Queen...... All shall love me and dispair

Quote Originally Posted by TearMaker View Post
    But, do you really think this game will be viable in another 11 yrs? It would be the equivalent of trying to sell music nowadays on analogue magnetic cassette tapes.... there is always someone who likes them (looking at you Cordovan) but it will be niche....

I would like the main story plots to be played out sooner rather than never. Forget going to Harad or far off places that only a few care about...

Fill in Eregion and add South Farthing... Do the Scouring and then Lindon and finally the Grey Havens....

However the big issue is that once these plot points are completed they are afraid we will all leave.... Well doombringers said that about Mordor.. But that wasn't the case.

I feel that these will be forever dangled as a carrot for our ever donkey like need for more middle earth..
    What I mean is the game has a long history of taking us to places off the beaten path, playing out whole new story threads in those places (expanding from a few sentences in the books), all while retaining the trilogy's main plot points - even if it takes a long time to get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    The Stablemaster is our TARDIS.
    Yeah Cool...a fellow Whovian