We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thumbs down The latency issue

Dear players,

I've read some forum posts from a while ago discussed the latency issue for EU players. I started playing 6 years ago and I've always irritated myself on the fact that the lacency was way to high (150 - 180ms). Playing as a Warden and having to time my gambits with high latency was so annoying and not enjoyable. After 2 years being inactive I want to start playing this game again but the latency is still there..

The question is.. Will the plan to have servers run on hardware in Europe ever happen? Otherwise i'm going to spend my money elsewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by Twistro View Post
    The question is.. Will the plan to have servers run on hardware in Europe ever happen? Otherwise i'm going to spend my money elsewhere..
    Turbine officially cancelled that plan. SSG, as far as I know, have never had such a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Turbine officially cancelled that plan. SSG, as far as I know, have never had such a plan.
    Officially cancelling implies that it was made public once the decision was made. However is was just let out of the bag the following year during a live stream days before the new datacentre went live. Bunch of friends quit then.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Knowing first hand (from things like IT back end infrastructure preparedness) how long in advance the UPPER management makes the decision to sell off a portion of the company and/or move it into an independent company such was the case with Turbine moving Lotro and DDO to Standing Stone Games.... when they made the announcement that they weren't going to operate out of a EU data center after all.... that decision likely came down from upper management who was already working on a transition plan to SSG. It was spun as a technical decision, but the reality is that at that moment in time, the move to SSG was already decided on and the data center move to the EU might have been seen as too costly in that long term plan.

It's good to note at this point that the daily personnel that runs the game (including the blue names that communicate to the public) probably didn't really know the true reason behind cancelling the EU data center move and were probably told themselves it was financially motivated.

As for the latency, this is what you SHOULD get from areas around the world:

USA, East Coast: 20-50ms, depending on where you are.
    USA, Central/Mountain: 40-70ms, depending on where you are.
    USA, West Coast: 60-80ms, depending....

States like Hawaii and Alaska should add about 40ms to the West Coast numbers.

From Europe, you should get 90-110ms from well connected countries, close to an internet hub such as England, Netherlands, western Germany, Northern France, Belgium, Danmark, etc.... the further you are from cross-atlantic connection points, the slower it gets. In further away countries such as Norway, Sweden, Finland, Poland, Greece, Italy, etc... it's probably closer to 120-130ms.

If you are in Australia or New Zealand, the latency is about 220-250ms, depending on location and technology.

Then there is the technology with which you connect. If you have a fiberoptic cable to your home, you should see speeds pretty close to the above numbers... If you use a cable modem system, add about 10 ms to those numbers because of the way (Euro)Docsis systems work. If you use a VDSL type connection (typically *DSL with speeds beyond 8 Mbit/s or so) you are likely using a technique called "interleaving", which makes higher speeds across copper lines possible by sending a lot of error correction information that is used on the other side to piece together your data, but it can result in having up to 20ms of additional latency on a connection.

An example of this in the USA is AT&T U-Verse. I know that Deutsche Telekom over in Germany also uses similar technologies on its copper provided internet solutions.

This all said: distance to the data center is only part of the issue. There are plenty of Australian players who have no problem with internet lag.

How the internet connection is used in the home you play, and whether you are on wifi or wired is also of great importance. A good example here is the use of bittorrent. The way this protocol was designed is that it opens up many many small connections to all sorts of peers in order to get (or send) small bits and pieces of files, eventually completing you a download. The problem of this protocol is that many users assume "more connections in my client = more speed", and that they do not take into account how many connections per second a residential type router actually can handle. Typically speaking, having a heavy torrent user somewhere in your household on the same internet connection, can wreak havoc on game lag, because all those connections per second the torrents use need to be processed by the router. If you play Lotro, or any other online game for that matter, it is best to keep torrent clients OFF. If you must seed, it is best to set the connection limit to 100 global, and 50 per torrent so it isn't going to affect you too much. This is a setting in the client, so if it is someone ELSE in your network... you might need to talk to them.

Then there is wifi. Wifi is NOTORIOUS for interference. Your neighbors might have SSID's on the same frequencies or channels, there may be one or more stone walls in between, the router placement may be too close to a wall or behind a desk, the client may not be able to utilize MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) as most budget laptops only one 2 antennas, 1 incoming, 1 outgoing.... and as wifi is a shared network, everything else on that same network could affect your latency.

It's also good to note that many laptops that are starting to use too much energy and heat (your fans will start blowing a lot while gaming), laptop chipsets will often reduce the energy consumed by network connections (the chips that handle it on the board) to a lower amount to prevent overheating, along with slowing down the CPU itself. This is something that is tough to control, as many laptops aren't well designed for gaming.... but you can make changes to power consumption in Windows to ensure you get maximum performance.

So, TL;DR: Here is a "low latency checklist".

- Upgrade your internet connection (if possible) to one supplied by a fiber-optic cable. Cable is higher latency. VDSL is much higher latency.
    - Do not use wifi, run a wire from the router to your gaming computer.
    - Do not use bittorrent while gaming, and if you must: set global connections to no more than 100 total and 50 per torrent.
    - Also reduce the maximum UPload in your Bittorrent client to 50% of what your upload speed should be.
    - Adjust power settings in Windows for maximum performance.

Not a requirement but recommended: Don't use a laptop for gaming, but I understand that isn't always feasible.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.