We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning after 9 years

Hello guys! Ok so I last time played 2010 on the RP server Laurelin.

But what servers should I choose today? The most important thing before RP and all that is that the server is populated !

Thanks for the help

I'm not sure how to read this one: http://lotrostats.gefallenehelden.de/eu.html
    But if it is how I think it is then it was like 70 players online during the friday night at server Evernight?

Thats not alot.. :P
    Last edited by MrGlad8; Feb 09 2019 at 03:54 AM.

The current highest population server is Brandywine. Laurelin is about 70% of the size of Brandywine. But the total LotRO population is down to only a quarter of what it was when you last played, so even with the server merges (I think it was Turbine who was forced to close something like 19 servers and leave only 10 left, to keep populations from getting too low) you won't see the same level of activity as before.
    Give Anor and Ithil PvMP.
    Before making a complaint here, ask yourself this: "Am I still giving SSG money?". If the answer is yes, there's no point complaining.

after nine years it is not returning but starting, with so many changes since 2010 you r not familiar with!
    if you like RP go to laurelin tho i dont see anyone really rp nowadays.........
    i mean, tho i have all my high lvl toons in evernight, i ve started some new for rping but never able to do it meh.....
    now there r 2 servers with good activity n that r brandywine n evernight.....
    have fun what ever you choose!
    20 years lotr enthousiast, 11 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

I just returned about three weeks ago after being away about seven years. used to be a Nimrodel main with a few alts on Brandywine, after returning, transferred all from Nimrodel TO Brandywine (because, well, Nimrodel was RIP)

Community is decent. A few troublemakers that need to be muted (general OOC politics and the like) before the PH values of the community waters are good, but then things are good to go.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000022327/01004/signature.png]Reute[/charsig]

Another option that many returning players use is to restart on one of the new legendary servers. In essence you'll be playing a new game, compared to what you remember from 9 years ago. The legendary servers currently have a cap of level 50 and a 40% xp decrease. The result has been a whole lot of people playing through the beginning areas together. And many people are saying they came back after a long hiatus and find restarting on an LS to be less intimidating than one of the regular servers where so many people are at lvl 120.

Be aware, however, that there is no pvmp on the LS and no plans for providing it in the near future. So if pvmp is important to you, best to go to one of the regular servers.

I'm on Ithil, and find the community very congenial and often quite lively. Some very active kinships too. And for RP'ers, there is an RP channel and discord so you can connect with like minded folks.

And of course, welcome back to LOTRO!

How about you stay as far away from this game as metrically possible and keep your sanity and well being
    44 Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by MrGlad8 View Post

But what servers should I choose today? The most important thing before RP and all that is that the server is populated !

Thanks for the help

But if it is how I think it is then it was like 70 players online during the friday night at server Evernight?

That's the amount of players logging in every 5 minutes. Not how many are currently on the server. Keep in mind Lotro crashes quite a bit so it's debatable if all those logins are unique.

If I were to ballpark, I'd guess the largest of servers range around 2,000 and maybe close to 2,500 during peak. The less populated servers I think to struggle to maintain even 1,000 players ever. If you also look, this past year has not been kind to Lotro's population. Tracking logins, steam users, and counting players that are not anonymous during peak, I'd say Lotro lost close to 25% percent of its player base through 2018. Mordor was not kind to Lotro, and U23 only expanded on some of the worst things Mordor brought about.

I am on Laurelin - it seems to have fewer people than Evernight but I put a higher value on nice people than a lot of people.

If I were a raider I might feel otherwise but there are certainly more than enough people on for my taste. I can't tell you how easy it is to get in a raid thus that caveat - raids tend to be more dependent on population than any other activity.

There is a lot of talk about people doing pvmp but I am a carebear and cannot compare the pvmp there with Evernight.

My characters on the other three EU servers are level 6 characters just logged on once a week to check hobbit gifts so no comment about those three where the languages are French and German.

If you're coming back after 9 years, every server will seem dead to you.

It's basically a solo game with each server having 1 or 2 raiding kins.

Unless you're on Landroval, where the music scene is.

thank you for all answers! Yes I realize the population might be abit lower than for 9 years ago But still I enjoyed this game really much and wanted to give it a try again!

Another vote for the Legendary Servers. You do need VIP subscription for it, but these servers have been very popular. Population WAS about two to three times the regular servers for months, I think it is down to about the same level.... maybe only slightly higher than the regular servers. There are a LOT of "returnees" on these servers, people who quit anywhere before 2011/2012 ish or so, and are giving the game another go.... and instead of seeing a level 120 mountain to climb, they have chosen to re-learn the game by joining the Legendary Servers.

Currently, the level cap there is 50, but Moria is about to be released in March or so, along with Lothlorien.... which will raise the level cap to 60. Seeing as you played 9 years ago, that seems to be the perfect way to re-join the world at the level cap you LEFT 9 years ago (more or less), and have a much less steep hill to climb. In order to keep with the same experience pace as 10-ish years ago, the experience you gain is less (40% less), but out of experience you can experience all old world content, and level to 50 somewhere in Forochel or Angmar, without yet having set foot in Eregion - so there is plenty of content.

If you want to go to 120, join the regular servers. But do note that leveling up to 120 is mostly a lonely solo game.... no one plays old content instances anymore. If you enjoyed those, the Legendary Servers is the place to go. I started playing in 2010, so I never experience the old Rift raid, and I have now done it about 7-ish times on 3 different characters, and it is a lot of fun. When the level increases to 60, we will see the Moria instances being ran daily I would imagine, something you don't really see a lot on the regular servers anymore..... hell, when I got an alt close to 60, I just started SOLOING the Turtle and Watcher raids for a week or so with my level 115/120, so I could get the first age legendary for level 60. The legendary servers, more than any other servers have brought that old community feel back to Lotro.

It's not the SAME game as 10 years ago, as many things have changed (such as trait trees, open tapping, auto-loot, etc) but it will allow you to roll back in where you left off with too much to relearn, and then level up gradually again.

Level 60 is supposed to hit in March.
    Level 65 in July.
    Level 75 in November.

They said they would release new content every 4 months.... so the above is a "more or less", "give a month" kind of schedule.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGlad8 View Post

Thanks for the help

Hello MrGlad8 -- If it is RP you want, save yourself the aggro and go back to Laurelin. It is pretty much the only decent server for good RP these days (Landy sure isn't anymore).
    Elquasso - HNT | Hendunaron - LM | Laurealasso - GRD | Malenthir - HNT | Threk - RK | Tassels - CHM (all on CRICKHOLLOW)
    Farty - GDN | Turwe - HNT | Elquasso - CHM | Curulambo - RK | Oromil - LM (all on ANOR)

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Another vote for the Legendary Servers. You do need VIP subscription for it, but these servers have been very popular. Population WAS about two to three times the regular servers for months, I think it is down to about the same level.... maybe only slightly higher than the regular servers. There are a LOT of "returnees" on these servers, people who quit anywhere before 2011/2012 ish or so, and are giving the game another go.... and instead of seeing a level 120 mountain to climb, they have chosen to re-learn the game by joining the Legendary Servers.

Currently, the level cap there is 50, but Moria is about to be released in March or so, along with Lothlorien.... which will raise the level cap to 60. Seeing as you played 9 years ago, that seems to be the perfect way to re-join the world at the level cap you LEFT 9 years ago (more or less), and have a much less steep hill to climb. In order to keep with the same experience pace as 10-ish years ago, the experience you gain is less (40% less), but out of experience you can experience all old world content, and level to 50 somewhere in Forochel or Angmar, without yet having set foot in Eregion - so there is plenty of content.

If you want to go to 120, join the regular servers. But do note that leveling up to 120 is mostly a lonely solo game.... no one plays old content instances anymore. If you enjoyed those, the Legendary Servers is the place to go. I started playing in 2010, so I never experience the old Rift raid, and I have now done it about 7-ish times on 3 different characters, and it is a lot of fun. When the level increases to 60, we will see the Moria instances being ran daily I would imagine, something you don't really see a lot on the regular servers anymore..... hell, when I got an alt close to 60, I just started SOLOING the Turtle and Watcher raids for a week or so with my level 115/120, so I could get the first age legendary for level 60. The legendary servers, more than any other servers have brought that old community feel back to Lotro.

It's not the SAME game as 10 years ago, as many things have changed (such as trait trees, open tapping, auto-loot, etc) but it will allow you to roll back in where you left off with too much to relearn, and then level up gradually again.

Level 60 is supposed to hit in March.
    Level 65 in July.
    Level 75 in November.

They said they would release new content every 4 months.... so the above is a "more or less", "give a month" kind of schedule.
    Sounds interesting ! Will look into it! Thank you!