We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kander View Post
    In the end... nearly half tank geared you have 160k morale, capped mits, and you still can apply all buffs and your dps won't really go down that much, let's say instead of 40k on average it's gonna be 20k. Sacrificing 20k dps of the raid for having the certainty your main dps buffer (and may dps healer too because of rev mark) will be always alive because he won't get any oneshot seems like a more interesting idea than having that extra 20k dps. I mean, you can survive if you play well even with really low mits and morale but I wouldn't sacrifice 40k morale, 60k mits just to deal 20k more dps and risk someone messing the eye, or a lag spike and getting killed by something. Also it puts it a lot easier on healers when you get certain debuffs like boss4 of raid puddle or you get an aoe or frontal if you make a mistake.
    Yup, I you have a good point. I also focus the survivability to a certain point like I stated above. It's something dps classes don't usually do, but support has the room for it since they don't benefit as much from direct stats like mastery and crit. But seems like our numbers don't match. The certainty of being alive in my experience comes with much less than capped mits and 160k morale. In fact, I really dislike the idea of going for capped mits because they made the cap so high and the curve so steep on this update, with huge diminishing returns. Capped mits doesn't mean you take much less damage than 70% of the way to capped mits. This is for t2 anvil only, for t3 I've been using some swaps from my yellow build to increase mits especifically to the type of damage the fight has and also to increase morale.

Quote Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
    There are so few "real" red captains that its hard to get a valuable community consensus on the class.

Literally every captain I knew on Landy when I would lead raids thought that his/her role was to stand there with 150k morale and do nothing but CD's. It was extremely frustrating.

Then you get captains like Blitz ( Partypooper) who goes ham, and along with a well-played yellowburg with basically constitute an additional hunter or RK dps for your raid group.
    Yes, we had the same problem back on AoM. Red captains with over 200k morale dying or putting a lot of pressure on the healers because of the spirits on boss 1. They also had very low critical rating, losing a lot of blade-brother damage.
    On t2 Anvil I don't think it matters that much, can't think of any morale-based damage and the dps checks aren't as hard to beat as they were on AoM, but I still believe it's a captain that helps the group way less than it should be helping.

I will be happy to see where "dps" (40-is nothing) cappy won cappy with ob/throne set and 200k hp and full mits, after mordor has come. Every "dps" cappy which i saw in pugs/video was terrible. Only at second boss dps stats (ofs with ob reset set) is better then survivability.

Captain DPS is in this current state ok, but even if you do 120k parse w/ AOE bleeds and so on, it's not much, not much in compare to what captain used to be able to deal in % in compare to the days of helm's deep. A lot of its numbers (incl heals) have never been able to properly scale with the updates after helm's deep. At this moment I prioritize a captain his survive ability + crit rating more than the actual dps you do. Captains can simply not afford to die imo, especially in this raid. Yes, about 120 k morale is enough for this raid on T3, but anything lower becomes very risky imo, your hardened reductions do -15% inc dmg, but still is very risky if for example boss 1 does a belly while you are out of hardened and drop accidentally in ice.

Yes when such thing happens, you fk your whole group because you're unable to maintain your buffs as who knows, miss Oathbreakers. Having a bit of DPS is very nice, but your priority should go out to your survival and your critical rating inorder to maintain buffs as for proc of master of war.

Btw, never use gallant display as gap filler, I've seen it happen enough times that captains use gallant display out of blue line. This skill is totally obsolete(esp cuz doesnt scale), you're better off with using sure-strike in your rotation to keep your actual rotation flowing.

A good example of a captain who could learn from this is mister Aegiys

But apart from all this, a red captain can still do decent offhealing with swaps. I reach about 12k hps in raid when I start doing some offheals as a red captain through my rotations, a big amount goes through target forwarding to the tank, my words of courage can pulse every 3 sec about 19-32k on crit (depends a lot on my buffs). If you keep this up for a while, you greatly help your tank as for creating breathing space for your healer. This can easily be done through your rotation gaps, instead of sure-strike. Though, if you want a more flowing dps parse, then sure-strike is gonna be your choice. Imo offhealing is very important, if the main healer is busy with his tank, you can help your dps other support classes staying alive with those initial WoC heals. Especially if they get accidentally hit by ice. A red captain has always the capability to do some offhealing, if you read the sure strike buff for example, it also indicates that red captains have this as a secondary option. Even yellow captain can do some offhealing when needed, but is less likely to happen.

If you make a special weapon purely for battle-states(as hardened gives you outgoing heal), you'll get something like this:

Also optional is banner swapping, you can swap your throne banner between a morale banner depending on situations.

For example, you keep the throne banner when you dps, but swap to the victory banner + pot when the boss is about to drop a belly.
    Last edited by WhiteGoliath; Feb 26 2019 at 04:47 AM.

It's unnecessary to discuss this atm. a captain overwork is announced.
    Goe it comes to this? Well 40k is low for that it's on the most offensive build.
    But it's ok for a supporter. The problem is there is no effective measuring how much win your support is.
    And it's the best the captain has. There is no I go dmglime for cappies as we've for burgs or lms in case of supporters or any other non dpsing class.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedfox View Post
    When doing kill deeds, cappys are painfully slow next to other classes. I kinda wish we had a Dissonance - Stance type thing where we'd be more solid solo at the expense of it locking out group wide buffs.
    i like the idea

you could call it COURAGE OF THE LAST KING with the description : you channel all your inner reserves and Focus buffs on yourself as you remember Earnur and the Courage to duel the Witch King alone
    GWAIHIR Turtegiel - Hunter Onerk - Champ Ferkil - Guardian Fealegwe - Warden

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGoliath View Post

Btw, never use gallant display as gap filler, I've seen it happen enough times that captains use gallant display out of blue line. This skill is totally obsolete(esp cuz doesnt scale), you're better off with using sure-strike in your rotation to keep your actual rotation flowing.
    Very interesting you mentioned this. I never liked to trait galant display on red, because the skill is so bad, but i find myself sometimes in the roation with nothing to do, after hitting sure strike. I usually use this time to refresh rousing cry/penetrating cry, but when those still have a nice duration, would be cool to have something like galant display to fill the gap if i'm not into offhealing. Better than purge corruption i guess. Or maybe i just need to improve rotatiom to the point those gaps don't happen.

Very interesting idea on the banner swap.
    I also like your swappy sword. Do you think it would be possible to somehow include battle shout and routing cry damage without losing any healing legacies? Or would that require a 3rd LI?

Quote Originally Posted by Issack View Post
    Very interesting you mentioned this. I never liked to trait galant display on red, because the skill is so bad, but i find myself sometimes in the roation with nothing to do, after hitting sure strike. I usually use this time to refresh rousing cry/penetrating cry, but when those still have a nice duration, would be cool to have something like galant display to fill the gap if i'm not into offhealing. Better than purge corruption i guess. Or maybe i just need to improve rotatiom to the point those gaps don't happen.

Very interesting idea on the banner swap.
    I also like your swappy sword. Do you think it would be possible to somehow include battle shout and routing cry damage without losing any healing legacies? Or would that require a 3rd LI?
    just use sure strike more often, that will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fealegwe View Post
    i like the idea

you could call it COURAGE OF THE LAST KING with the description : you channel all your inner reserves and Focus buffs on yourself as you remember Earnur and the Courage to duel the Witch King alone
    That'd be a pretty cool name for it. They could also do something else instead like giving captains an ability that does the same as a Landscape Soldier Token which would boost damage outside instances; it would fall in line with the cappy having people around that they lead. And with a warrior soldier out, it'd speed up slayer deed grinding by adding in AoE.

Another with the overwork would be make the buff depend on the group size.
    E. G. Telling mark would give 120/x%.
    So if you're solo you would gain 120% with a second each of you 60% and in 12men everyone 10% and so on.
    Same for the others. So the captains dmg would be reduce as mroe he supports.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    Another with the overwork would be make the buff depend on the group size.
    E. G. Telling mark would give 120/x%.
    So if you're solo you would gain 120% with a second each of you 60% and in 12men everyone 10% and so on.
    Same for the others. So the captains dmg would be reduce as mroe he supports.
    120% amplification is maybe too strong, but I get your intention. Not sure if the devs can make such mechanic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2