We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Ill Omens skirmish event?

From the 23.3 patch notes today:

February 7th brings a new event: ‘Ill Omens’ to Skirmishes throughout the game! Evil stirs in Minas Morgul, and harbingers of the Dead City spread across Middle-earth! This time-limited event adds additional enemies and rewards to all Skirmishes in Lord of the Rings Online through March 11th. By completing a specific set of themed Skirmishes each day while the ‘Ill Omens’ event is active, you’ll earn a special currency you can exchange for new gear and cosmetic rewards. As for the most dedicated Skirmishers of Middle-earth, players who complete thirty of these quests will earn a powerful level-cap-statted reward.
    This sounds like a fun event to lead up to the (hopefully imminent) Minas Morgul update!

But since Legendary servers don't have skirmishes until the Moria xpac in March, they can't participate. The March end date of this event seems to even coincide with that Legendary progression. Was this done on purpose? Perhaps to push population back to the standard servers?

Given the limited time left to get to cap on Anor & Ithil, it's kind of painful to also introduce a time-limited event on the other servers that fully overlaps. DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone & Landroval

Seems more like a bald-faced ploy to get people logging in daily for the next month during festival down time. By my count there's 33 days from Feb 7 to Mar 11, so you can only miss a few days if you want the super-shiny gold item. If you could get it from doing 10 runs, I might agree that it sounds like fun. As it is, it sounds like just one more grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Seems more like a bald-faced ploy to get people logging in daily for the next month during festival down time. By my count there's 33 days from Feb 7 to Mar 11, so you can only miss a few days if you want the super-shiny gold item. If you could get it from doing 10 runs, I might agree that it sounds like fun. As it is, it sounds like just one more grind.
    As long as the specific skirmishes required aren't very limited, it's still fun. Skirmishes are fun, especially at raid level. As long as either we can choose from a large number of them or it's a different one each day, I'll still gladly login for it.
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone & Landroval

I doubt if this is aimed at the new servers - it looks like a nice event highlighting future releases.

As to having to log on almost every day - do you have information that you can only do one of the themed skirmishes per day? If you can do more than one, as you can do more than one resource instance a day for the level-cap dailies, then the need to log on 30 days turns into 15 or 10 or less.

February 6th would be a good time to have a weekly Lotro store sale on Skirmishes.... Just saying. They haven't been on sale for many months.
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

I wonder if this is limited to skirmishes only, or does it include instances too.

I love skirms, so it's good to see them get a bit of attention. Just wondering though, given the drive toward mostly group content since U23, will this include skirmishes of all sizes?
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

"By completing a specific set of themed Skirmishes "

Set?

Yikes.

could be 3 skirmishes a day for 30 days. if so, this makes empowerment scrolls feel benign.

This surely won't be as extensive a grind as completing all of the Yule deeds and quests. I hope <whimpers<

As long as none of them are Barrow Downs survival. That gets tedious long before the timer is up.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

Interesting. I sure hope there is some sort of boost to skirmish soldiers. Last time I tried a skirmish, I pretty much had to solo it.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    Interesting. I sure hope there is some sort of boost to skirmish soldiers. Last time I tried a skirmish, I pretty much had to solo it.
    I rarely pull a soldier out. Mine does silly things . . . like fall off stairs and walls, then comes running back to me with 10 new mobs in tow.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Barrow Downs survival *is* generally awful I agree,

The three big questions in my mind - which probably will not be answered until Thursday - are what will the new currency buy (and do we really need more currencies?), how many days does one need to do specific skirmishes to get the 30 skirmish reward, and can one get the rewards soloing or do the better ones require doing fellowship versions?

As to the former - I hope there will be some new things in the inevitable mix of pets, housing items, cosmetics and mounts. As well as at least a few LI items.

As to the latter - if you can only get one skirmish credit per day towards the 30 and there aren't many more that 30 days in the event I doubt if I will bother. That would be a worse grind even than Yule <shudders<. If you can get two or three or more credits a day - that is another story. I can see tasking my high levels with this and even skipping the Grey Mountain dailies for a while. But only if you can do a lot or all of it solo I doubt I will spend 30+ days looking for fellowships for this event.

I do see enough potential to get all characters under 20 levelled up and through the skirmish tutorial by Wednesday.

I'm wondering if the cosmetic rewards are new and limited time only. Hopefully not! I really don't want to have to grind like crazy between festivals too, to be able to get all the fluff. The festival steeds are enough of that already.
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    I'm wondering if the cosmetic rewards are new and limited time only. Hopefully not! I really don't want to have to grind like crazy between festivals too, to be able to get all the fluff. The festival steeds are enough of that already.
    Currency and barterable items probably will work same way the ones in the seasonal instances. Currency have a cap and barterer only is available when event is active.

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

for me I am interested if some of the gear you can buy is level cap. I doubt it will be due to their wording - and only the final prize will be usable.

I prefer solo but am happy to group for this, but if it's a 30 day grind of multiple skirmishes each day - no way - absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Olgomil View Post
    Currency and barterable items probably will work same way the ones in the seasonal instances. Currency have a cap and barterer only is available when event is active.

Hopefully "time-limited event" means like the usual festivals and not like Bounder's Bounty
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Hopefully "time-limited event" means like the usual festivals and not like Bounder's Bounty
    QFT.

From wording and details it sounds exactly like Bounders Bounty, a one-off event to whet players' appetites for upcoming Minas Morgul hype. Same as Bounders Bounty was implemented to keep people busy in empty weeks before Helms Deep release.

For sake of speculation, tempting to see Minas Morgul as an expansion and not just a quest pack.
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

Just a heads-up, I spoke to Cordovan and the blurb about the event wasn't accurate. He's since updated the original post, but here's the text:

"February 7th brings a new event: ‘Ill Omens’ to Skirmishes throughout the game! Evil stirs in Minas Morgul, and harbingers of the Dead City spread across Middle-earth! Each day, your characters will have the chance to participate in a Skirmish Assault, which will send them to specific sets of existing Skirmishes in search of dangerous new foes. Characters who complete a Skirmish Assault will earn a special currency that can be exchanged for new equipment and cosmetic rewards. As for the most dedicated Skirmishers of Middle-earth, there are several new Deeds and titles to be earned during ‘Ill Omens’. In addition, characters who complete twelve Skirmish Assaults while the event is active will earn a powerful cap-level statted reward."
    Designer, Content

"A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it." - J. R. R. Tolkien, The Children of Húrin

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinion View Post
    Just a heads-up, I spoke to Cordovan and the blurb about the event wasn't accurate. He's since updated the original post, but here's the text:

"February 7th brings a new event: ‘Ill Omens’ to Skirmishes throughout the game! Evil stirs in Minas Morgul, and harbingers of the Dead City spread across Middle-earth! Each day, your characters will have the chance to participate in a Skirmish Assault, which will send them to specific sets of existing Skirmishes in search of dangerous new foes. Characters who complete a Skirmish Assault will earn a special currency that can be exchanged for new equipment and cosmetic rewards. As for the most dedicated Skirmishers of Middle-earth, there are several new Deeds and titles to be earned during ‘Ill Omens’. In addition, characters who complete twelve Skirmish Assaults while the event is active will earn a powerful cap-level statted reward."
    Thanks Pinion!

One question: How much skirmishes there are in a daily "Skirmish Assault"?

There are three sets of 5 Skirmishes, and one set of 4 Skirmishes - the quest that guides you will change daily to one of these sets. However, you only need to do 4 and 3 of those in the sets, respectively, to complete the Skirmish Assault. Any group size and any tier counts.
    Designer, Content

"A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it." - J. R. R. Tolkien, The Children of Húrin

There are three sets of 5 Skirmishes, and one set of 4 Skirmishes - the quest that guides you will change daily to one of these sets. However, you only need to do 4 and 3 of those in the sets, respectively, to complete the Skirmish Assault. Any group size and any tier counts.
    Thanks for the answer, and one question more: ¿Any skirmish level work?

All the Skirmishes should work from their lowest available level through the cap. In order to receive the quests that advance the Skirmish Assault daily, it must be played at (or within +5/-5 of) your current level. However, some of the new Deeds and Tier 3 specific sub-quests may require you to be at the cap.
    Designer, Content

All the Skirmishes should work from their lowest available level through the cap. In order to receive the quests that advance the Skirmish Assault daily, it must be played at (or within +5/-5 of) your current level. However, some of the new Deeds and Tier 3 specific sub-quests may require you to be at the cap.
    Perfect, thanks a lot for your answers and kindness, Pinion, im hyped for to play the new event!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast