We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: House Videos

Quote Originally Posted by symster View Post

I just had the idea that treating the Iced Over Brazier as kind of a frozen "forest" of sorts might be kinda cool, with things getting "stuck" inside, like that snowman in the corner, or the Winterstith chest once you get it.... not sure if that's the direction you want to go but that idea kind of illustrates what I'm talking about.

Not having enough hooks is the ever-present problem in these houses :-/ Especially in Belfalas.

Rhu
    I'm going with the frigid, frozen dwarven stronghold look filled with knowledge and treasures.

Already tried the spiky idea, but sadly the spikes aren't transparent, so it doesn't quite work out.
    But I've already redesigned the room a bit, so that huge bazier isn't in the middle covering everything else. Thanks for the tips anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by Aoumiel View Post
    Heya Balgass, thank you for posting your address! I realised Arkenstone is the last server (well, with the exception of Ithil and Arnor) I have yet to create a "visiting toon" on. I'll remedy that situation soon and look forward to visiting your home
    You are most welcome when you do!

Arkenstone has quite a few decorators as well, I've seen some really impressive houses, especially in Belfalas, where it's a huge challenge in my opinion. Wish I had more adresses I could share, but I only remember the player names :/ But we are looking forward to your visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Balgass View Post
    I'm going with the frigid, frozen dwarven stronghold look filled with knowledge and treasures.

Already tried the spiky idea, but sadly the spikes aren't transparent, so it doesn't quite work out.
    But I've already redesigned the room a bit, so that huge bazier isn't in the middle covering everything else. Thanks for the tips anyways!
    Keep us apprised of the situation. I will keep checking in to the house every once in a while to see how it's going!
    Also don't forget the new frozen wallpaper! That might help you with the theme.
    Last edited by symster; Jan 25 2019 at 01:34 PM.
    Rhuangar, hunter on Brandywine
    Rhudawg, warg on Brandywine

Finished! 4 Cape Road, Galadhraw, Belfalas, Brandywine

Thanks to a lot of visiting and inspiration from the forum, I have finished decorating my large Gondorian house! Video is posted but please feel free to visit "in-person"!

Rhuangar

Thanks to a lot of visiting and inspiration from the forum, I have finished decorating my large Gondorian house! Video is posted but please feel free to visit "in-person"!
    Rhuangar
    Helloes!

My apologies again for being so tardy about getting back to you with the ideas I had. But first, your finished home! Just spent some time visiting and you've got some really amazing ideas and items combos. My favourites are the destroyed, burning White City and the ghost ship. Some lovely touches are the backwards fish trophy in the bears mouth (om nom noms) and the winter worm bathing in the pond

I've been wanting to try a scene with the animal trophies (one decorated house by Onno has some really great animal trophy scenes - either 1 or 4 Bay Road, Anorist, Belfalas on Belgaer) and am feeling really inspired now. The long row of bookcases on the left of the entrance room also works really well and how you've created a split level area in the back room is genius! I'm absolutely going to try my own variation on that soon. Thank you for the excellent inspiration!

I'm not quite sure what is going on with the purple carpets, bird cages and hanging corpse! What is the idea behind that mini scene?

Alrighty, so now for the ideas, just two small ones that might work in your hot/cold bathrooms in the back. The first two are my rough attempts at basins, one rohirric themed and the other gondorian and the last one might work as a shower area.

...My favourites are the destroyed, burning White City and the ghost ship.
    Glad you like it. I hope it was also obvious that the Rohirrim are riding to the battle and the witch king and fellbeast are looking over the city. Unfortunately Mt Doom is quite small but it's foreboding presence is in the distance. I wish there was some way to put little mumakil on the battle field!

I've been wanting to try a scene with the animal trophies...
    I actually have always found those trophies to be ugly. Never thought I would use a single one. Then I decided I wanted them and had to spend a few hours going out and getting them in lowbie areas! The idea in that front room is that it's kind of a natural history museum...

...(one decorated house by Onno has some really great animal trophy scenes - either 1 or 4 Bay Road, Anorist, Belfalas on Belgaer)
    Going to visit!

...The long row of bookcases on the left of the entrance room also works really well and how you've created a split level area in the back room is genius! I'm absolutely going to try my own variation on that soon.
    The split level/"loft" area idea came from the Loners Guild kinship house on Evernight. Character named Foolish (alt Razorblaze I believe) get's credit for that idea. This was my own version of it!

....I'm not quite sure what is going on with the purple carpets, bird cages and hanging corpse! What is the idea behind that mini scene?
    That's supposed to be a stage. :-( The hanging corpse, mistletoe, birds, etc are props. The banners can be interpreted as either being part of the scene of a particular play or as promotions of upcoming plays. That whole back room is supposed to be a theater with upper and lower viewing areas. The loft is like the little bar/snackery in the back. I was hoping that the burning warg candle with the Hobnanigans banner above it would also kind of add to the "theater" atmosphere.

I knew that some of those dec's might be kind of confusing but my hope was that the stage/theater theme would be more apparent and then someone might be able to kind of get that the rest of the weird props have to do with that theme. Is all that too much and too random???

.... Alrighty, so now for the ideas, just two small ones that might work in your hot/cold bathrooms in the back. The first two are my rough attempts at basins, one rohirric themed and the other gondorian and the last one might work as a shower area.
    Uuummmmm, those are super awesome!! Only trouble is the amount of hooks they will take up.

I'm going to try to put together the basin idea in the hot room. It will mean pulling the tapestries down and pulling from the theater room but I'll see if I can make it work. That would be a super great idea for your kitchen as well! What is the little ice decoration? Felegoth flower?
    The shower drain is a spectacular idea, there's just no way I can do it unless I get rid of other stuff. Also with the smoke coming out of the "drain" it would look like quite a stinky drain, which would be hilarious! I assume that's the Decorative Oven?

BTW, I noticed the eggs on the cuboard of your kitchen, by the "herbs". Very nice!

Rhu

Basin/Sink

I used the Rohirric pot shelf because the black Gondorian pot didn't show up well against the dark walls. Also, I used a plain Wooden Keg because I don't have an inn league one. I think your Inn League keg prob works better so I'll have to get one at the next festival.

Are you going to put this in a kitchen Aoumiel?
    Last edited by symster; Feb 02 2019 at 03:00 PM.

Glad you like it. I hope it was also obvious that the Rohirrim are riding to the battle and the witch king and fellbeast are looking over the city. Unfortunately Mt Doom is quite small but it's foreboding presence is in the distance. I wish there was some way to put little mumakil on the battle field!
    Yeah, I totally got the references in that room ^_^ I did find myself wondering though, how a different arrangement of carpets and wall items might bring a bit more symmetry to the scene. With the unusual and irregular arrangement of items representing Gondor/Mordor/Rohan/Ship of the Dead it feels like that room just needs a bit of symmetry to frame it and bring it together. Sorry if that's a bit vague and not particularly helpful, I feel there's just something missing, and that's the best way I can describe it XD

I actually have always found those trophies to be ugly. Never thought I would use a single one. Then I decided I wanted them and had to spend a few hours going out and getting them in lowbie areas! The idea in that front room is that it's kind of a natural history museum...
    AHA! Yes, I did get a natural history vibe from that front room scene!

The split level/"loft" area idea came from the Loners Guild kinship house on Evernight. Character named Foolish (alt Razorblaze I believe) get's credit for that idea. This was my own version of it!
    Oh cool, what is the address? I'd love to see the original idea that sparked your interpretation.

That's supposed to be a stage. :-( The hanging corpse, mistletoe, birds, etc are props. The banners can be interpreted as either being part of the scene of a particular play or as promotions of upcoming plays. That whole back room is supposed to be a theater with upper and lower viewing areas. The loft is like the little bar/snackery in the back. I was hoping that the burning warg candle with the Hobnanigans banner above it would also kind of add to the "theater" atmosphere.

I knew that some of those dec's might be kind of confusing but my hope was that the stage/theater theme would be more apparent and then someone might be able to kind of get that the rest of the weird props have to do with that theme. Is all that too much and too random???
    Ah sorry, I didn't get theater at all Little loft bar and snackery yes, I can totally see that though. I think the lower section might need some obvious cues, like rows of benches and a long carpet running down the middle towards the "stage area" (ala Churchladys home). The Hobnanigans bunting is definitely a good choice though. I wonder if there are enough large wall hooks to lower the ceiling using bookcases so that you could have a tapestry on either side representing curtains. Just thinking out loud, something like that would require quite a rework.

Also, glad you liked the ideas! They were just rough ideas but yeah, I definitely want to try them myself in a proper scene. The "water" coming from the tap is indeed a Felegoth item, it's the Felegoth crystal planter.
    Last edited by Aoumiel; Feb 02 2019 at 03:12 PM.

I used the Rohirric pot shelf because the black Gondorian pot didn't show up well against the dark walls. Also, I used a plain Wooden Keg because I don't have an inn league one. I think your Inn League keg prob works better so I'll have to get one at the next festival.

Are you going to put this in a kitchen Aoumiel?
    A right, yeah the black pot wouldn't work. Just had an idea though, if you have a spare small furniture slot the brazier might also make a good basin! It's also a bit bigger so proportion-wise might work better too. I'm thinking about where I might add a basin setup to my kitchen. I thought it was complete, doh! I should know better, a decorators job is never done ;p

Yeah, I totally got the references in that room ^_^ I did find myself wondering though, how a different arrangement of carpets and wall items might bring a bit more symmetry to the scene. With the unusual and irregular arrangement of items representing Gondor/Mordor/Rohan/Ship of the Dead it feels like that room just needs a bit of symmetry to frame it and bring it together. Sorry if that's a bit vague and not particularly helpful, I feel there's just something missing, and that's the best way I can describe it XD
    Maybe it feels asymmetrical because Osgiliath is further "north" (actually west) rather than being due east of MT?? On an actual map Osgiliath is NE of MT so that is where the rugs representing it are. Which is actually a good thing because I couldn't get them to come any further into the room.

I also decided to sink everything into the ground because otherwise I would have a whole bunch of floating rugs in the room. It would undoubtedly feel more full if I brought the MT model to it's normal height but then the weirdness of floating rugs would take away from it I feel like...

The Rohirrim are coming from the direction they are supposed to and I decided to put the Fear and Flame tapestry symbolizing the Witch king on the other side of the same doorway. Maybe because of these choices it feels asymmetrical.

I would have like more rugs for the river but the hooks were not available. Rugs cannot be pulled too far into that room.

AHA! Yes, I did get a natural history vibe from that front room scene!
    Okay good!

Oh cool, what is the address? I'd love to see the original idea that sparked your interpretation.
    I believe the Loners' Guild won 4th place in D&Co's Housing Contest #6. They are at 8 Long Street, Goldstoke, Bree, Evernight. This was one of my favorites in that contest!

Ah sorry, I didn't get theater at all Little loft bar and snackery yes, I can totally see that though. I think the lower section might need some obvious cues, like rows of benches and a long carpet running down the middle towards the "stage area" (ala Churchladys home). The Hobnanigans bunting is definitely a good choice though. I wonder if there are enough large wall hooks to lower the ceiling using bookcases so that you could have a tapestry on either side representing curtains. Just thinking out loud, something like that would require quite a rework.
    I can see about playing around with it a bit when I get back. I took the armoires out to make the basin in the bath and put the tapestries in the theater instead. I might be able to re-do it a bit. I wanted more seating but didn't have the hooks. Only had enough for two benches on the bottom level. No more rug hooks either. The loft took up 6 of them!

Pictures

Wish I had known how to post pictures when I started this thread. Better late than never I guess. Here are images from the Gondorian house:

Bath House:

Theater with Stage and Loft

Battle of the Pelennor Field Memorial:

Natural History Museum
    Last edited by symster; Feb 03 2019 at 11:15 AM.

Thank you for posting your housing photos and videos. So many great ideas! I'm trying to visit as many in person as I can.
    Noodly Potpie

Onno has some really great animal trophy scenes - either 1 or 4 Bay Road, Anorist, Belfalas on Belgaer
    Hey, thanks for mentioning me ... and congratulations for your well deserved victory over on D&Co du Milieu.
    (Btw, kudos to everyone involved in the creation of that amazing site!)
    Told you yours was the greatest house I've ever seen
    But I see that, in the meantime, you perfected the concept of combining different furniture items

I've some animal trophies at 1 Bay Road (home of 'Primelda'). There's the Candaith-menagerie and the Seer bear ...
    4 Bay Road has a mix of dwarvish themes, instance trophies and Mordor stuff. (but no stuffed animals in their entirety ...)
    It would be great if you'd find the time to come and visit. I've got LOTS of houses on Belegaer to make it worth your time
    Btw, Symster, love your house, including your invention of 'wheat in a basket', a perfect addition to every kitchen-themed room!

There are a few animals (a Maitre'd and a rudimentary band) in my restaurant-themed kinhouse at
    Bree-land, Crickwent, 1 High Road ('Phobos').
    Also I tried to build a Halloween-horror-house at 2 Broadford Street (same neighbourhood, next to my main's house at 4 Long Street).

And I started to create a scene involving a warg, some indoor property-guards and the remains of a poor hobbit at
    Shire, Brockdown, 4 Brookbank Street ('Nachtwachen').
    But unfortunately, without the Mordor-door (which I do not own), it's kind of incomplete. But in principle, the concept is improvable
    Oh, and I tried to create some kind of walk-in refrigerator in the hobbit home next door (5 Brookbank St.).

PS: Perhaps I should cut down on smilies in my forum posts, but not today ...

Quote Originally Posted by Onno View Post
    Hey, thanks for mentioning me ... and congratulations for your well deserved victory over on D&Co du Milieu.
    (Btw, kudos to everyone involved in the creation of that amazing site!)
    Told you yours was the greatest house I've ever seen
    But I see that, in the meantime, you perfected the concept of combining different furniture items

I've some animal trophies at 1 Bay Road (home of 'Primelda'). There's the Candaith-menagerie and the Seer bear ...
    4 Bay Road has a mix of dwarvish themes, instance trophies and Mordor stuff. (but no stuffed animals in their entirety ...)
    It would be great if you'd find the time to come and visit. I've got LOTS of houses on Belegaer to make it worth your time
    Btw, Symster, love your house, including your invention of 'wheat in a basket', a perfect addition to every kitchen-themed room!

There are a few animals (a Maitre'd and a rudimentary band) in my restaurant-themed kinhouse at
    Also I tried to build a Halloween-horror-house at 2 Broadford Street (same neighbourhood, next to my main's house at 4 Long Street).

And I started to create a scene involving a warg, some indoor property-guards and the remains of a poor hobbit at
    But unfortunately, without the Mordor-door (which I do not own), it's kind of incomplete. But in principle, the concept is improvable
    Oh, and I tried to create some kind of walk-in refrigerator in the hobbit home next door (5 Brookbank St.).

Onno,
    I didn't get a chance to visit your house that Aoumiel mentioned before I left town but if you post all of your addresses I'll be sure to
    visit when I return in a couple weeks!

I want to create a walk in fridge/freezer as well but only for one room. I think I would have to sell my little Shire country pub and buy a bigger classic house in order to do that so I'll have to put it on hold for now.

Looking forward to visiting your homes!
    Rhuangar

A right, yeah the black pot wouldn't work. Just had an idea though, if you have a spare small furniture slot the brazier might also make a good basin! It's also a bit bigger so proportion-wise might work better too. I'm thinking about where I might add a basin setup to my kitchen. I thought it was complete, doh! I should know better, a decorators job is never done ;p
    Yup, empty brazier works well. I had to rearrange a bit. Lost a fire on the ground next to the pool but gained a wall slot so I stuck a tapestry back in there!

If you get any more decorating done while I'm away post the address! I'm going to be brainstorming for my last Belfalas house and upcoming kinship houses!

Rhuangar
    simmply GREAT decoration ability!
    the only things i dont like r the toooo many big statues at the entrance n the hunging cage with the sceleton
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Hello Yao!

Really good to see you in the forums! I was actually tempted to ask for an address of one of your personal homes when I first discovered your site, but was worried you might think it rude ^_^; I'm really looking forward to visiting your home

I actually keep a .txt document on my desktop of all the homes I've visited across the servers, along with notes of clever themes and combinations and such. A global list for your site sounds like an excellent idea.
    Thanks Aoumiel
    D&Co du Milieu (English - French): Housing Magazine & database.
    LesBalladesDeYao: A big unexplored world.

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    simmply GREAT decoration ability!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    the only things i dont like r the toooo many big statues at the entrance n the hunging cage with the sceleton
    There are only 3 statues in the yard! And only 1 is very big! Regardless, I will probably keep them. I want the house to have a sense of Gondor about it.

The cage with skeleton is supposed to be a stage prop but I get the sense that most people will not get that and will just wonder why on Middle Earth I stuck something so morbid in there so I may replace it!

Thank you!

There are only 3 statues in the yard! And only 1 is very big! Regardless, I will probably keep them. I want the house to have a sense of Gondor about it.

The cage with skeleton is supposed to be a stage prop but I get the sense that most people will not get that and will just wonder why on Middle Earth I stuck something so morbid in there so I may replace it!
    after reviewing your post saw that the hall with the cage is designed as a theatre stage, not a bad thought at the end, depending the play ofc
    if you can find a group of actors (rp) you may change the decoration to what fits the scenario!
    have fun what ever you do n if you like dont listen to the rest of us!!! !!!!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Heya Onno! Good to see you in the forums again! And thank you very much for the kind words <3 Yours was the first home I visited that made really creative use of the trophies, ofc I'd mention you!

[snip] There are a few animals (a Maitre'd and a rudimentary band) in my restaurant-themed kinhouse at
    Sounds like you've been busy, I'll have to check out your homes again

I have a Mor-door available on my visiting dwarf parked on Belgaer. I'd be more than happy to place it for you. Just let me know when and where.

Nah, if you're feeling the smiles let them out!

Onno,
    I want to create a walk in fridge/freezer as well but only for one room. I think I would have to sell my little Shire country pub and buy a bigger classic house in order to do that so I'll have to put it on hold for now.
    Noooo, don't sell your little country pub!!! Keep it and just make another account like the true decorating fanatic you are ;p

Yup, empty brazier works well. I had to rearrange a bit. Lost a fire on the ground next to the pool but gained a wall slot so I stuck a tapestry back in there!

If you get any more decorating done while I'm away post the address! I'm going to be brainstorming for my last Belfalas house and upcoming kinship houses!
    Nice! Glad to hear it worked out for you! I'll definitely let you know if any of my other houses open up I have a few ideas on the go, but just need a quiet weekend or two (or three) to nail the main scenes.

Noooo, don't sell your little country pub!!! Keep it and just make another account like the true decorating fanatic you are ;p
    Definitely not going to abandon the little country pub. Just going to put the meat freezer on the back burner for now. Got lots of other decorating to do in just the next couple months before I leave the country so no housing alts either unfortunately.

Theater with Stage and Loft

Battle of the Pelennor Field Memorial:

Natural History Museum
    You sir are a genius. The Pelennor memorial caught my breath in a non-metaphoric literal way. And the natural history room is straight from 17th century "wonder cabinets"...

Please post more!
    Éalá Éarendel engla beorhtast,
    ofer middangeard monnum sended,
    ond sóð
    fæsta sunnan léoma,
    torht ofer tung
    las, þú tída gehwane,
    of sylfum þé symle inlíhtes!

-
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Herwegur View Post
    You sir are a genius. The Pelennor memorial caught my breath in a non-metaphoric literal way. And the natural history room is straight from 17th century "wonder cabinets"...

Please post more!
    So happy you were able to visit! I know in my case all of my houses are the product of experimentation and tons of inspiration and ideas from other players. Many geniuses, therefore, contributed!
    Thank you for your kind words.

PS- I'm actually a "ma'am", not a "sir" ;-)

Last House (for now) is Decorated

This house's theme is the ancient city of Alexandria (not very LOTR related, I know).
    Outside is a scene of Hypatia being attacked by and angry mob.

Inside is Pharos, the Lighthouse of Alexandria; a burned and looted library with a looter, broken windows, and scattered scrolls and books; a Serapium; and a room showing Alexandria's importance as a wealthy sea trading port.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast