We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

EffectList from LocalUser:GetTarget():GetEffec ts() can hold partial, incomplete, and duplicated entries

Hi folks,

I'd like to report an issue with Turbine.Gameplay.EffectList returned from LocalUser:GetTarget():GetEffec ts(). The contents of the returned list don't represent the actual effects on the Actor. Very often, the returned list is partial and can have duplicated entries.

I found this when working on DebuffVitals (https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...fo.php?id=1015) (also commented as long-standing bug behaviour by Thurallor at https://www.lotrointerface.com/forum...ead.php?t=3707). Users have complained a fair amount about DebuffVitals not reporting effects properly, and I thought I'd talk about it in bug forums.

It would be great if this list was accurate.

Grimmerthan

Also previously discussed here. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anything is going to be done about it.
    Last edited by Thurallor; Jan 14 2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

Silorien is offline Software Engineer - Standing Stone Games
    I just added event notifications for EffectRemoved and EffectsCleared. This will probably go out with Update 24, but there could be an opportunity to get it out sooner than that.

That's awesome, that will enable several cool plugin ideas to work. We'll certainly give you feedback the moment we are able to test it. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Silorien View Post
    I just added event notifications for EffectRemoved and EffectsCleared. This will probably go out with Update 24, but there could be an opportunity to get it out sooner than that.
    Woot, that's great and possibly useful, Solorien. Thanks a lot for this.

Are irregularities in the EffectsList on the backlog? EffectList is inaccurate, as it doesn't list all current effects and sometimes lists an effect twice.

Grimmerthan

Quote Originally Posted by Silorien View Post
    I've just tested this today on Bullroarer. A vast improvement! I think it's good enough in its current form to make it useful, although there are a couple of remaining bugs:

1. There is a difference in behavior of the EffectRemoved event for the player effects vs. the target effects. For the target effects, the EffectRemoved event is reported before the effect is removed from the EffectList. For the player effects, the EffectRemoved event is reported after the effect is removed from the EffectList.

Either behavior would be acceptable, but consistency would be nice. Personally, I like the way you have done it with the target effects. It makes sense, since an "Index" value is passed as an argument with the event. (For the target effects, that Index is valid in the event callback; for the player effects, that Index is no longer valid at the time the callback is called.)

2. If a target effect double-procs, one of the effects seems to be taking the place of the other in the list, instead of being added alongside it. Example: Marked Target has a 30% chance to apply its -5% phys mit effect twice, as shown in the tooltip:

The window on the right shows the EffectAdded and EffectRemoved events, with timestamps. As you can see, there are two "Marked Target" effects, with IDs 12 and 13. When the second effect (#13) is added (in the same instant as the first, but sequentially afterwards), it causes the first effect (#12) to be temporarily removed.

The #12 effect is then re-added when another effect (Hampering Javelin) occurs, but at the same time, #13 is removed. It seems as if both effects are trying to occupy the same spot in the list. (Correct behavior would be for both effects to be added at timestamp 11.14, and then generate no further events until both are removed at timestamp 19.20.)

Edit: Here's my test plugin. With respect to Bug #1 above, it assumes that the target effects behavior is correct, and reports an error for the other behavior.
    Last edited by Thurallor; May 01 2019 at 06:07 PM.

I think it's good enough in its current form to make it useful
    Maybe not. I tried to develop a workaround for bug #2 above, but was not successful. There doesn't seem to be any way to distinguish between an effect appearing to replace another effect, and actually doing so.

I am willing to help in whatever way I can (TeamViewer session, etc.) if/when you get back around to working on this.