We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Would you upgrade a war steed?

Seems the war steed forum is all but dead so I post this here hoping for an answer.

All my bridles are low tier. I have never had a teal or higher nor do I know if there are any those colors.

So I ask I see 3 places for crystals on my current 100 bridle. Would you add crystals to them or would it be a waste?

Just thinking before the festival ended I could get 3 crystals pretty easy.
    I dance for cookies!

It is a waste. You cannot imbue bridles, and most classes are more effective on foot than from horseback, because the damage is not scaled according to the equipment, but according to the long forgotten riding skills. Don't waste any thing on it.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 115 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 115 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    It is a waste. You cannot imbue bridles, and most classes are more effective on foot than from horseback, because the damage is not scaled according to the equipment, but according to the long forgotten riding skills. Don't waste any thing on it.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Agreed. In addition to this, after Gondor, mounted combat isn't used anymore.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Agreed. In addition to this, after Gondor, mounted combat isn't used anymore.
    No more? I think that makes me both happy and sad. Sad that the devs just let war steed go. I know I never liked them for fighting, but for speed on a long distance they were good.
    I dance for cookies!

I wouldn't answer a cut-and-dry no, as others have, but I wouldn't upgrade any bridle unless it was a first age, level 100 AND I had run out of things to spend scrolls/crystals on. Once you run out of things it is worth upgrading that bridle, since there are times it's still faster for me to blow away a mob via a light steed at top speed than it would be for me to dismount, kill them, and mount again. Heck, even if I am going to dismount, I can get one attack from steed before I get close enough to dismount and obliterate mobs, so I might as well increase it slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMcDermott View Post
    No more? I think that makes me both happy and sad. Sad that the devs just let war steed go. I know I never liked them for fighting, but for speed on a long distance they were good.

I would imagine you can still ride them, I'm just saying that there are no more mounted enemies after Gondor, and I'm glad. Ugh, that was a pain in the(graphic image goes here).
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Yeah I got a fully maxed first age bridle, and no not worth it unless you got crystals to spare. All you get is about 10% more fury.

Past about level 95, Warsteeds are only good for travelling.

Max out your agility, add as much endurance as you can to maybe avoid getting 1-shotted by mobs, and use a light horse (faster, turns quicker, more agile). You then have a Ferrari horse that is still pretty useful for getting around, though driving it through Dale might be a bit of a challenge.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    Yeah I got a fully maxed first age bridle, and no not worth it unless you got crystals to spare. All you get is about 10% more fury.
    I don't think that makes any difference. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, any age level 100 bridle is already at the cap for Fury effect without spending any legacy points, nevermind wasting starlits on it. FA bridles often have more legacy points than you really need. You basically want a Light bridle with max endurance.

When Mordor was released all of my 105s used mounted combat a lot along the main road and in some of the nearby clear areas in Udun. They could all take out Black Uruk Enforcers with little damage to themselves. Most of them could not do the same on foot.

I'm one of those people who enjoys MC and got good at it over 30+ levels, so it was very useable and useful in Mordor and still is now. Anyone else who enjoys MC will be able to continue enjoying it in Mordor and beyond, and if you don't like MC you can skip it with no loss whatsoever.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

If you don't want to get dismounted, choose a medium horse, which gives you the Sacrifice skill. This one changes the received damage in that way, that you are the only one to lose morale. Of course you should have a decent amount of morale before you activate it, but then you can rush past the not-yet-grey trash mobs without fearing that you are doing a somersault, get immobilized, surrounded and butchered to the next rez circle.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel'aran'rhiod View Post
    ... even if I am going to dismount, I can get one attack from steed before I get close enough to dismount and obliterate mobs, so I might as well increase it slightly.
    Doesn't work for my hunter. Even if concentration was full at the moment the hunter mounted the warsteed, there will be none when dismounting, because the focus got reduced while on warsteed-back. Which means, the moment you are forced to fight on foot, half of your skills are unavailable; and this while you are in mid combat. This is something I do not like at all.
    Note that this doesn't happen on a normal mount.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Last edited by Polymachos; Jan 18 2019 at 03:29 PM.
    Treufried, human Level 115 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 115 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Personally, I have always LIKED mounted combat, and I am bummed they sort of neglected it. I would not mind one bit to see new mounted combat options, better leveling options for the bridle, and perhaps even imbuement of the bridle.... provided they do fix the ridiculous amount of scrolls you need to level it up.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.