We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Survey + Some Hard Truth.

http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/3XNGX/

--

Would be appreciated if you could complete the survey to begin with, the rest is just a rant.

--

It’s been a while now since I last posted on the forums, and to be honest I kind of bit my tongue after I received my last infraction, coupled with the sad response I received from @Cordovan. However, I honestly don’t care anymore – its about time SSG had someone tell them the truth.

--

Legendary Servers;

The legendary servers, I don’t even know where to begin. Primarily one of the biggest cash grabs you’ve ever added to this game bar making black steel keys store-brought only (I’ll get onto that pile of rubbish in a moment). For a long time now, a large section of the player asked for a classic/vanilla server, similar to the way the game was pre-HD, not necessarily the way it was at launch, but definitely pre-HD (And why pre-HD, because that was when you implemented those confounded trait trees (another pile of rubbish I’ll come back to later)), we appreciate all the changes and QoL fixes you made up until that point – but beyond that is where you began to lose your player base.

The legendary servers were not something that was asked for, and I have no idea how you plan to implement level 65 ‘appropriately’ given that both end-game raids for that level cap have been turned into scaling raids, with trash scaling loot tables.

--

Ettenmoors;

Something posted by an Ex-Turbine developer back in 2015 on an alternate LotrO forum;

That was the great abiding conundrum of PvMP. Improve accessibility and attract more players...only to negate the improvements through the consequent decline in performance. Impose hard population ceilings to improve performance only to thereby limit accessibility. And so on.

Looking back now with some time and distance I'd have to say that ultimately the Moors as we experienced it was all the Moors realistically could have been. I cannot, knowing what I know, envision a scenario where there would have existed the necessary resources, command interest, and technical work required to take the Moors from its state of perma-beta to a fully realized and functional system. Certainly, more could have been done (or less, in some cases) but just what such ought to have been is up to the imagination of the individual player. At the crux of it all there remained-and remains still-the very nature of the system and that couldn't have been meaningfully addressed save by a massive overhaul. When you pit two totally different sides-one being composed of fully realized characters, the other being fleshed out NPCs-in a game that sees one side constantly evolving and the other constantly trying to react to that evolution, the likelihood of the results being truly satisfactory are virtually nil. And then there was always the lag...

I suspect that most of us never quite achieved the level of Zen-like sangfroid required to simply accept the zone on its own terms. In fact, the shared frustrations probably acted as a subtle bonding agent for the community. But even back in the first few years I saw the Moors as essentially an accidental social experiment: turn these guys loose in a sequestered, persistent area with little direction or oversight and the occasional pot-stirring and see what they do with it. Personally, I found the results very interesting and well worth experiencing.

Nothing more needs to be said really except it’s an absolute farce and needs a massive overhaul on ALL fronts.

--

Absolute lack of developer interaction within the game itself;

There is an absolute resounding lack of developer-aided/pushed/run interaction in the game itself, little/no events run by the game developers, little/no streams run by the game developers, and little/no communication from the game developers on the forums, and sometimes, for long periods of time. Either you are really that short-staffed, or you have a really bad PR management. ENGAGE with your community more, especially in the game. Spawn balrogs in Bree, allow creeps into the current end-game area, host PVMP events on a server every week, host random pve raids on servers each week. Something. Anything. A weekly stream where we watch our Community Manager level at snails’ pace through 10-year-old content is NOT engagement, and nor is answering the bare minimum of questions, half the time with snide/sarcastic responses.

--

Class Changes;

One of my biggest fears in this game is when you announce you are going to be working on rebalancing or changing a class. You want to know why? Because it is extremely apparent, over the last few years, and the last few class balance passes, you have NO CLUE what you are doing. You fail (all except @Vastin), to take on player feedback on the class in question and make changes & BUG FIXES based on our feedback. You set out on a class balance with a clear line of development in your eyes, without even consulting your player base, or the top/lowest tier of players of that class. You completely fail to deteriorate from that line of development and take on board what we’ve said half the time.

You only need to look at the most recent Hunter, Burglar, Captain and Minstrel changes to see how evident that is. Maybe talk to your player base FIRST and ask what our concerns regarding the class is, then try to incorporate that into where you would like to take the class???

--

Loot locks;

Your community is absolutely disgusted at the introduction of the new loot locks system implemented with the Ered-Mithrin instances. It is NOT what was asked for. It is NOT what was fought for on the forums. It is NOT an acceptable replacement for the daily locks you implemented under Mordor and the MAJORITY of your player base would rather see a return to daily locks than the rubbish we have now. People rarely, if AT ALL run unfavoured instances due to the sheer lack of incentive and drop chance in those instances DESPITE all your claims that you can still acquire loot in unfavoured runs, you only need to scour the forums to know that is NOT true, and even if there is some shred of truth to your claims, the drop chance is so pitiful it isn’t worth it the time and effort. Tier 3 runs take an arduous amount of time already – people aren’t going to do them again for a tiny, pathetic chance at loot.

Give us back daily locks, in the form of 1 run per tier per day, (So in effect 3 runs of each instance per day, one at tier 1, one at tier 2, one at tier 3). Or remove the locks completely and give us back the system we had before you added locks to 3/6mans at all.

--

Instances & Tiers;

You have absolutely no comprehension of the kind of instances, or the kind of difficulty your player base would like to see, and it really doesn’t seem like you care.

MORALE IS NOT A MECHANIC. Giving trash mobs ridiculous amounts of morale is not a mechanic, it’s a complete time sink, and deters people from even bothering in the first place.

And honestly, making it so the only changes between tiers is the morale/damage (And in some cases mob density) of the mobs, is also not a mechanic. It’s sad. Have you really run out of ways to make new/interesting challenges that our only aim in instances is to be able to survive larger hits and dps faster? What a joke.

--

Personal loot / currency grind;

WE DO NOT LIKE PERSONAL LOOT.

GIVE US BACK DISTRIBUTED LOOT.

WE DO NOT LIKE CURRENCY GRIND.

WE DO NOT APPRECIATE LOOTBOXES STILL REWARDING %*@! TONNES MORE EMBERS THAN YOU GET FROM ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.

WE DO NOT APPRECIATE THE FACT YOU HAVE NOT LIMITED THE AMOUNT OF LOOTBOXES YOU CAN OPEN PER DAY/WEEK.

LISTEN TO YOUR PLAYERBASE.

Give us back a coin currency system for the raid like we had under throne. Remove embers/motes altogether, they are not an acceptable way to acquire gear. Remove loot-boxes completely, they are not an acceptable way to acquire gear.

--

Scaling Loot;

Nothing needs to be said other than the fact that traditional loot tables, with unique drops are the preferred choice, in all instances. They make instances fun and give us an incentive to do them – chasing a rare unique drop. Not some standardised %*@! I can acquire from 3 other different instances.

--

Absolute lack of understanding in the terms of ‘grind’ involved in the endgame;

It seems ever more apparent you completely fail to understand the amount of grind associated with creating an end-game character, let me break it down for you in simple terms. To create, an instance-ready character, with only 2 maxed out LI’s, the person will require the following providing they haven’t used any kind of level boost (Aria, gift, blessing), that person is required to complete;

Their Class deeds, and their class quests level 15/30/45/58.
    The Moria Epic 1-6.
    Nearly all Western Rohan quests.
    Nearly all Central Gondor quests.
    Completion of Pelargir, Defence of Minas Tirith, and Hammer of the Underworld BB’s.
    Various books in Volume 4, some requiring the completion of the previous books, some not.
    Ashes in Stars in Osgiliath.
    ALL deeds incl. quest deeds in Old Anorien.
    Acquiring 200 big battle promotion points.
    Various books in the Black Book of Mordor, most requiring the completion of previous books, some not.

That person will then need to acquire, close to 450 Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment, and close to 75 Anfalas Star-Lit Crystals, to simply max out TWO LIs only. Requiring a ridiculous amount of marks & medallions / completions of dailies in old/dead areas / completions of festivals.

That person will then need to do the following; acquire 2800 motes of enchantment for the BIS Settings/Gems (4 costing 700 each) for their Legendary Weapon/Item – provided that person isn’t or has not become kindred with the Mordor faction and acquired enough signets of the Thandrim to barter them.

That person will then need to acquire close to 31,500 Embers of Enchantment (9 pieces, Helm, Shoulders, Chest, Rings x2, Bracelets x2, Earrings x2 at 3,500) which, for a normal person with average play time and one character can take anywhere up to 6 weeks to acquire full gear. On top of acquiring Kindred with the newest faction AND, 500 Longbeard tokens for the boots+gloves, on top of a further 60+ Longbeard tokens to acquire the required recipes for legs, pocket & necklace + any required off-hands if necessary, and a further 100/200 longbeard tokens for their classes required Rune (Of Binding/Enchantment/Striking).

All of this is completely deterring to anyone trying to level a new alt, to anyone who has fallen behind and to anyone returning to the game. Further pushing the pay to win agenda of loot-boxes and keys.

--

Trait Tree System;

I really can’t say anything new about this that hasn’t been said a thousand times before, in a thousand other threads – it is a heinous and horrible system that I wish you had never implemented in the first place. It destroyed several classes, in terms of viability and fun in the minds of a lot of people who had played those classes for years. I pray for the day you will revert to the old trait system, however unlikely that is.

--

Bugs;

There’s no real way I can phrase this. PLEASE stop pushing out new content and fix the existing bugs in your game first. Untangle your spaghetti code, however long that will take, and fix the bugs from the ground up. Improving QoL as you go. Pushing out more content, with more bugs, on top of the hundreds of existing ones in the game is just absolutely ridiculous.
    Last edited by Hephburz-2; Jan 13 2019 at 02:38 PM.

Reserved for Survey Results.

I like personal loot IF it is tradable in group/raid. Scaling loot is boring though.

Agreed on anything else you said but I don't think they will take advice anyway sry.
    Last edited by Hildilas; Jan 12 2019 at 08:03 AM.

Definitely things that needed to be said :nods:.

Of it all, terrible class balance/trait design and the nigh on infinite grind are the worst with the butchered crafting system riding at their sides.

Sadly this very accurate assessment will be ignored for a rant due to some irl personal issue.

They don't care because so many of us lap up what they do and are as oblivious to the problems as SSG are.

Why make a top notch game that suits a few when you can strive for mediocrity for the masses?

Even if you do want to deliver the best of games it must be demoralising when others are lack lustre and poison anything they touch and the decision makers at SSG with little interest in the product beyond cashflow.

Mac

This is a thorough rundown on the absolute state of this game right now... Agreed, strongly, on almost every count.

It's the only reason I joined the LS - poor substitute as it is for the game as it once was (lacking even PvMP for god's sake), but it's the next best thing.

I personally disagree with the vast majority of your opinions and conclusions on these topics, however I absolutely agree with the need to address them! So I commend you on you starting a constructive discussion (rant and all ) and pretty solid survey to do so! Thanks! I hope the discussion is fruitful and will certainly do whatever I can to contribute to that.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Musings on LOTRO and other games: www.killtenrats.com

I agree with almost every single thing in the rant. I would say the only part I disagree with is regarding personal loot. Between the two systems, I prefer personal loot (so long as it is fellowship tradeable and bound to account!) because with it, I don't have to spend 3-5 minutes after every boss handing out loot in a raid. If I had my choice though, I would like to see a combination of the two. Implement a loot system like Throne/Pelennor had, and assign the coins as personal loot but assign the gear normally, so you get the same amount independent of the number of people in the instance. That's not to say I don't like traditional loot though, as it was orders of magnitude better than what we have now, if only because of the flavor it added to the game.

This post is exactly what SSG needs to understand about the game, but sadly that's probably why they won't even bother reading it; it doesn't reinforce their narrative/scheme.
    Last edited by ColMcStacky; Jan 12 2019 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog548 View Post
    I personally disagree with the vast majority of your opinions and conclusions on these topics, however I absolutely agree with the need to address them! So I commend you on you starting a constructive discussion (rant and all ) and pretty solid survey to do so! Thanks! I hope the discussion is fruitful and will certainly do whatever I can to contribute to that.
    Thank you for your polite response, primarily I'm hoping, although from what I've managed to see already, that the survey responses will back up what I've stated here, and if they don't I will of course accept the opinions/choices of those who took the Survey, not that it is likely SSG will take any note of it anyway!

Edit: Survey currently at around 100 responses, will try and hope for 250 or so before I publish the results - feel free to share in your kins & on your servers.
    Last edited by Hephburz-2; Jan 12 2019 at 01:38 PM.

Some of this rant and the survey are very biased and fail to capture all the view points/arguments/reasons. Im gonna do some of that here and play a little devil's advocate.

I very much agree with a lot that is said, do not take this too out of context, but some stuff should be expanded on

Legendary Servers
    -I was skeptical at first but people I know who work on stuff like creating games/software developing have informed me creating the server they did is not a large resource dump. Throw up some invisible wall, cap the level on the whole server and tweak some stuff and boom you got the server. I know we all wanted classic servers and not the legendary server but what we got serves a different purpose and serves it well. The *ENITRE* community together on one server playing/leveling/grinding together. Go read some of the forums that thank the dev's for the server, so many people just glad to see other people in low level areas and actually have a chance to form a group for on level stuff like GA even if it isnt well scaled.
    -It brought in money for the team at little cost to them, and everyone knew perfectly well it was a copy+paste of live before they started jumping over there, we were not scammed and lied to/told it was classic, we all knew it would be like live. So if the team found an easy way to make some money that GREATLY appealed to many people and came at very little harm to the 120 community, then IMO, great! I am glad they were a success
    -Making a classic server would of been damn near impossible given the resources SSG has, be honest here please. It would of had to be on a completely different client because its a completely different game, so much stuff would have to be reworked/created/added/deleted just to meet the basic of what it use to be.

New Tier 1/2/3 Instances
    -Disclaimed, I agree morale is not a mechanic but
    -The 3mans should not be used as examples, they are 3mans, its hard to do a lot with those instances imo. Glimmer has some stupid morale bloats yes, i agree, and Caverns. well. that instance is plain broken, lets ignore it for now. TG though, I think is done very well T2 vs T3. Boss 1 doesn't change much, maybe making an add spawn each time you hit a bellow would spice it for T3, but its the tank and spank of the run. No new mechanics technically are added to boss 2 but having all 4 dwarves up with the increased damage from them is absolutely a huge jump in difficult from what it is on T2. Boss 3 makes your position 10X more important. The pillars one shot you and the puddles do twice the damage from drakelings, on T2 you could go stand in 3 puddles as a dps with decent heals and be fine, no more of that on T3, and if you arent going all out defences (mits and morale) you will die to her frost blast on T3. Position becomes so much more important with increased tier. Boss 4 is, meh? More morale does make a decent mechanic here since you need to plan out the 50-30% phase a lot more and play it smarter with the addition of that wound that drops the -40% mit puddles, but our dps is simply good enough that it doesnt become too much of an issue in the end.
    -I have high hopes with how TG is done that the raid will be done well T2 vs T3. I may be proven wrong but I genuinely think TG was done well, and the morale increases on mobs is not a huge hinderence for TG T3 IMO, the fell spirits use to be terrible but they were bugged and fixed to be more sane

New loot system in the raid. Personal loot VS raid loot
    -This new loot system seemed, from a business point of view, the best option with the new ash/embers system. I believe the debate here lies with the lootboxes in general and is a topic for a whole different thread. It ends up being a bump in the road for raiding kins with loot rules but doable none the less. I personally enjoy that this new loot system allows me to run with my kin multiple times on one toon just at the cost of loot, I dont need the loot, im just glad to keep tanking .
    -May be hard to follow my point here but this personal loot def seemed the way to go if the company wanted to expand their loot box + ember abilities. Complete the raid, get your deed and now use embers to barter for gear if you want to instead of needing a barter token from the raid itself like in throne. It sure aint perfect, and I would prefer throne system back, but its survivable IMO.

I agree with a lot of the other stuff you stated, alot of, not all of, and just wanted to make some other points on these topics. Feel free to argue them
    Lvl 120 Guard - Olebenny || Lvl 120 Guard - Theoderad || Lvl 115 Guard - Estelrian || Lvl 120 Runekeeper - Leegun || Lvl 120 Mini - Nathorean || Lvl 120 Champion - Cephrial
    Leader of Raiders Beneath the Shadow - Arkenstone
    What more does one need in LotRO than a lot of morale and a shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Olebenny View Post
    Legendary Servers
    -It brought in money for the team at little cost to them, and everyone knew perfectly well it was a copy+paste of live before they started jumping over there, we were not scammed and lied to/told it was classic, we all knew it would be like live. So if the team found an easy way to make some money that GREATLY appealed to many people and came at very little harm to the 120 community, then IMO, great! I am glad they were a success
    Bold/underline added for emphasis. This is the basis of my problem with the Legendary™ servers. In my opinion, they have caused harm to the 120 community.

On their own, they aren't a bad thing. When you couple them with the insane grind and the typically poor instance design we have with u23 though, it is harmful. The normal servers serve the purpose of pushing people towards the Legendary™ servers because of the artificial restrictions that are implemented on the player (even more p2w/lootboxes, t3 instead of t2c, instance locks, currency caps, terrible stat curves, etc.). Individually, these issues aren't more than annoyances, but they culminate in the normal servers funneling people into the Legendary™ servers, reducing the population on the normal servers. I know entire kins that have disappeared because of this. You have to remember that nothing in this game exists in a vacuum.

New Tier 1/2/3 Instances
    -I have high hopes with how TG is done that the raid will be done well T2 vs T3. I may be proven wrong but I genuinely think TG was done well, and the morale increases on mobs is not a huge hinderence for TG T3 IMO, the fell spirits use to be terrible but they were bugged and fixed to be more sane
    I agree for the most part. In my opinion, the 3mans are trash, but the 6man is actually nice, save for the final boss. Thikil-Gundu is a well done instance. Sure there are still problems here and there, but for the most part it is fine. The final boss just sucks though. If you ask me, that entire stealth phase he has should be cut. I always enjoy the instance, forget why I don't run it more often, then get to the final boss and suddenly remember.

Also, nitpick, but the fell spirits were not bugged; they were just poorly adjusted, having nearly 8mil morale before it got patched. I know there isn't a great difference between the two, but to me it shows intent. SSG did not think that having many trash mobs that permastun random players was an issue when they had nearly 8mil morale until the players complained about it (and rightly so). They just don't seem to think about what the reaction from the community will be do their actions, which is the root of pretty much every problem for the past few years if you ask me.

New loot system in the raid. Personal loot VS raid loot
    -This new loot system seemed, from a business point of view, the best option with the new ash/embers system. I believe the debate here lies with the lootboxes in general and is a topic for a whole different thread. It ends up being a bump in the road for raiding kins with loot rules but doable none the less. I personally enjoy that this new loot system allows me to run with my kin multiple times on one toon just at the cost of loot, I dont need the loot, im just glad to keep tanking .
    -May be hard to follow my point here but this personal loot def seemed the way to go if the company wanted to expand their loot box + ember abilities. Complete the raid, get your deed and now use embers to barter for gear if you want to instead of needing a barter token from the raid itself like in throne. It sure aint perfect, and I would prefer throne system back, but its survivable IMO.
    I agree here. Like I said in my previous post, if it was strictly between the two systems, then I prefer personal loot. I think a hybrid between the two would be more effective though.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMcStacky View Post
    Also, nitpick, but the fell spirits were not bugged; they were just poorly adjusted, having nearly 8mil morale before it got patched. I know there isn't a great difference between the two, but to me it shows intent. SSG did not think that having many trash mobs that permastun random players was an issue when they had nearly 8mil morale until the players complained about it (and rightly so). They just don't seem to think about what the reaction from the community will be do their actions, which is the root of pretty much every problem for the past few years if you ask me.
    They were bugged. They were intended to be Elite Masters as to be immune to stuns/mezzes and the morale pool jump was not meant to go with it. They were then fixed to be appropriate morale and FM'able as intended
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...able-*somehow*

But yeah its a nit-pick/besides the point. Just in the era of "devs need to interact more" (which some do) figured Id give credit where credit is due
    Lvl 120 Guard - Olebenny || Lvl 120 Guard - Theoderad || Lvl 115 Guard - Estelrian || Lvl 120 Runekeeper - Leegun || Lvl 120 Mini - Nathorean || Lvl 120 Champion - Cephrial
    Leader of Raiders Beneath the Shadow - Arkenstone
    What more does one need in LotRO than a lot of morale and a shield?

They were bugged. They were intended to be Elite Masters as to be immune to stuns/mezzes and the morale pool jump was not meant to go with it. They were then fixed to be appropriate morale and FM'able as intended
    I imagine if no one complained on the forums they wouldn't have made any changes to them, it's easy for the developers to say once enough people have complained that X mechanic was a bug and not WAI or not intentional. In hindsight, we will never know.

ThePinions post also states nothing about them being bugged either. Just that they did not meet their original design purpose so were being adjusted.

But yeah its a nit-pick/besides the point. Just in the era of "devs need to interact more" (which some do) figured Id give credit where credit is due
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinion View Post
    Hey folks, just thought I'd let you know what's going on with Thikil-gundu. The T3 fell-spirits were not meeting their original design intentions in practice, so I've adjusted them a bit for an upcoming patch soonTM. Their health has been substantially reduced on T3 to about 2.5 million total, and they are now also vulnerable to Fellowship Manoeuvres. They are still Masters for purposes of defence/mit stats and immune to most CC, but this should make these sections of trash less needlessly time-consuming.
    Fair enough, guess I missed that thread. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephburz-2 View Post
    I imagine if no one complained on the forums they wouldn't have made any changes to them, it's easy for the developers to say once enough people have complained that X mechanic was a bug and not WAI or not intentional. In hindsight, we will never know.

ThePinions post also states nothing about them being bugged either. Just that they did not meet their original design purpose so were being adjusted.
    He doesn't outright state that it's a bug, but he implies it with "The t3 fell-spirits were not meeting their original design intentions in practice..."

Anyway, let's not derail the thread over this minor point. It's an important conversation to be having if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMcStacky View Post
    Anyway, let's not derail the thread over this minor point. It's an important conversation to be having if you ask me.
    I completely agree.

My main issue/focus is just the lack of developer interaction with the community, on all levels. @Cordovans weekly stream is by far not enough, there is also a severe lack of interaction with the players on the forums in terms of what the team is working on, what we can expect to see, and to gain the communities preliminary views on the big issues.

SSG fails to engage with its community, to ask for our feedback and when they do so, fail to take it on board, or misconstrue it entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryam View Post
    Anyone with an issue with capitalism, just has a preference for hours long lines for toilet paper, mass starvation, and the high art of propaganda posters.

Russian Propaganda (Vintage Art):

https://www.allposters.com/-st/Russi...rs_c98225_.htm
    Calm down bud, I was just joking, making fun of the "Why make a top notch game that suits a few when you can strive for mediocrity for the masses?" line.
    I think it's excellent to be critical of the media you consume, and want this game to be better, but it's undeniable that companies are going to be striving for profit in a capitalist society, profits that are found in the masses. Expecting this game to just appeal to a small niche out of the goodness of their hearts indicated a pretty large disconnect to how society's work under capitalism.

Sorry for the derail.
    The road goes ever on.

Done and sent to a few friends who play.

Quote Originally Posted by Macdui View Post
    F2P did stop the rot but at the cost of the game and the All Mighty Store. Hey guys there's a bug in the new raid, close it down and we'll take a look on Monday. Hey guys the Store broke, okay get everyone in to fix it ASAP.
    Above all else. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Macdui View Post
    Hey guys there's a bug in the new raid, close it down and we'll take a look on Monday. Hey guys the Store broke, okay get everyone in to fix it ASAP.

"Of course it is the same old story. Truth usually is the same old story." -Margaret Thatcher

So I agree with pretty much everything you have written. The only things I don't agree with are when it comes to the legendary servers as I have not had a chance to try them out yet so haven't fully formed an opinion on them and what you said in regards to personal loot. I am very much against personal loot and even more against people running a certain instance 1,000 times to try and get a drop (such as the hilt from the Pelannor instances) only to have someone get it on their first time. I know. I know that this is due to RNG but I feel that the best system would be something that combines both RNG but also has a token/coin aspect to as well so that people who are unlucky don't miss out.

Also in regards to loot locks, I personally have never been a fan. IMHO if someone wants to do nothing but run the same instance for 8 hours a day than they should be able to do so without sacrificing loot. Because IMHO if the game is at a point that someone feels the need to do this than you have a much bigger issue on hand that loot locks. (Perfect example of this was the Mordor instance farm for SoE's and Star-Lits; majority of people would not have farmed that instance if the grind to max out LI's wasn't so insnae.)

Instances & Tiers;

MORALE IS NOT A MECHANIC. Giving trash mobs ridiculous amounts of morale is not a mechanic, it’s a complete time sink, and deters people from even bothering in the first place.
    This! Like you didn't even need to write anything more as that summed it up perfectly!

Absolute lack of understanding in the terms of ‘grind’ involved in the endgame;

Their Class deeds, and their class quests level 15/30/45/58.
    The Moria Epic 1-6.
    Nearly all Western Rohan quests.
    Nearly all Central Gondor quests.
    Completion of Pelargir, Defence of Minas Tirith, and Hammer of the Underworld BB’s.
    Various books in Volume 4, some requiring the completion of the previous books, some not.
    Ashes in Stars in Osgiliath.
    ALL deeds incl. quest deeds in Old Anorien.
    Acquiring 200 big battle promotion points.
    Various books in the Black Book of Mordor, most requiring the completion of previous books, some not.

That person will then need to acquire, close to 450 Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment, and close to 75 Anfalas Star-Lit Crystals, to simply max out TWO LIs only. Requiring a ridiculous amount of marks & medallions / completions of dailies in old/dead areas / completions of festivals.

THIS. IS. INSANE. And the matter isn't helped at all when every couple of months or so a new set of gear is released where nothing has changed except the item level and the stat values (here's looking at you Mordor dot updates!). To be honest I have finally reached the point where I have no desire to play end-game at all simply because I literally cannot bring myself to grind out new gear (and yes I know w have always had to grind out gear but it was never on the scale that it is now!).

Stopped alting because of the grind just being awful and now I don't play much at all because of the awful design with loot tables and favored personal loot. The grind made me play less and I would never pay to progress a character quickly.

I'm pretty much ready for the game and SSG to go out of business so we can sit back and see the modding community get a cleaned up private server up in running in 5-10 years.

http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/3XNGX/

--

Would be appreciated if you could complete the survey to begin with, the rest is just a rant.

--

It’s been a while now since I last posted on the forums, and to be honest I kind of bit my tongue after I received my last infraction, coupled with the sad response I received from @Cordovan. However, I honestly don’t care anymore – its about time SSG had someone tell them the truth.

--

Legendary Servers;

The legendary servers, I don’t even know where to begin. Primarily one of the biggest cash grabs you’ve ever added to this game bar making black steel keys store-brought only (I’ll get onto that pile of rubbish in a moment). For a long time now, a large section of the player asked for a classic/vanilla server, similar to the way the game was pre-HD, not necessarily the way it was at launch, but definitely pre-HD (And why pre-HD, because that was when you implemented those confounded trait trees (another pile of rubbish I’ll come back to later)), we appreciate all the changes and QoL fixes you made up until that point – but beyond that is where you began to lose your player base.

The legendary servers were not something we asked for, and I have no idea how you plan to implement level 65 ‘appropriately’ given that both end-game raids for that level cap have been turned into scaling raids, with trash scaling loot tables.
    Cash grab.. I don't think so.. There are 10 servers you can play for free on and 2 servers that a monthly fee is required.. Cash grab.. come on. The money that is being made is nothing compared to other games.

In one other game I play, there's no such thing a free to play. It's a monthly fee on all over 200 servers. They put new mounts into their game and there's always something new in their store that cash is required. Just recently they were ending a certain line of mounts and cosmetics. They were available in their store for cash money. Prior to that, they had a promotion where if people paid for 6 months in advance and they got a free mount. That game is what a cash grab is all about...

Lotro is a business, it has to make money to survive. Why is it that some people have a serious problem with SSG making some money?
    In place of a dark lord, you shall have Queen...... All shall love me and dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Saintjoan View Post
    Cash grab.. I don't think so.. There are 10 servers you can play for free on and 2 servers that a monthly fee is required.. Cash grab.. come on. The money that is being made is nothing compared to other games.

In one other game I play, there's no such thing a free to play. It's a monthly fee on all over 200 servers. They put new mounts into their game and there's always something new in their store that cash is required. Just recently they were ending a certain line of mounts and cosmetics. They were available in their store for cash money. Prior to that, they had a promotion where if people paid for 6 months in advance and they got a free mount. That game is what a cash grab is all about...

Lotro is a business, it has to make money to survive. Why is it that some people have a serious problem with SSG making some money?
    It was a cash grab in the sense they wanted to play on people's nostalgia - and yet not offer or give them what it was they really wanted, which was a more classical game, not the carbon copy we currently see on the legendary servers.

In other news; Survey responses are up to 210 - few more to go.

It was a cash grab in the sense they wanted to play on people's nostalgia - and yet not offer or give them what it was they really wanted, which was a more classical game, not the carbon copy we currently see on the legendary servers.

In other news; Survey responses are up to 210 - few more to go.
    Did the survey, sums it up pretty accurately tbh with the long post.
    Death's Bane : Arkenstone
    Meneldor Native

I've filled in the survey as close to my opinion as i could, but i'd like to elaborate on some questions

1. I would have preferred a more Classical/Vanilla server, but do not mind how it is right now, i'm still having fun playing.

2. I have taken part in PvMP before U23 released and enjoyed my time there. i'm not currently PvP'ing because of poor balancing.

4. Answered no, but simply because I think my main class (Captain) is in a good state and i'd rather they changed nothing then screw it over. i think if i played an underpowered class atm i would be looking forward to changes in hopes of improvement.

6. I don't mind an extra difficulty tier, but i would like to see challenges back on top.

11. You should add an option "I like the trait trees, but i didn't play during the old trait system so i have nothing to compare to", since this is the case for me.
    Fearendur, Captain R12 -- Original Challenger of the Abyss, Vanguard of the Anvil
    Eleannora, Rune Keeper R10 -- Aemeryllis, Guardian

Odyssey - Evernight

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast