We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Why do devs ignore the major problem with this game?

I am talking about performance.
    There have been tons of threads here about freezing, stuttering and fps drops.

The game runs AWFUL!!! both on high end rigs with SSDs and on their middle brothers as well.

But I can't find a single thread here where a member of dev team addresses this major game issue and provide players with some info about their plans on improving it.

Rumors have it that 64-bit client is going to release someday, but that rumours are several years old and many doubt it will improve the performance.

Why do devs ignore this problem?
    Last edited by Osweld; Jan 12 2019 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osweld View Post
    There has been tons of threads here about freezing, stuttering and fps drops.

The game runs AWFUL!!! both on high end rigs with SSDs and on their middle brothers as well.

But I can't find a single thread here where a member of dev team addresses this major game issue and provide players with some info about their plans on improving it.

Rumors have it that 64-bit client is going to release someday, but that rumours are several years old and many doubt it will improve the performance.

There is not much they can do. SSG doesn't have the money or the manpower to do full systems updates along side content updates. The best they can do is release a 64 bit client, which will improve performance since Lotro can then access all of the pc's ram instead of just 2GB.

Also, the game is going on 12 years old and the game engine they use, the Turbine mmo engine, is closer to 15 years. The engine is well past its prime and most of the issues are most likely caused by the engine hitting its limits. There is nothing they can do about this, other than stop working on Lotro and start work on a "Lotro 2" on a newer engine. Which again, SSG probably doesn't have the capital to do this either.

Several devs have also said that some of the core code is "Ancient" and difficult to work through. Which makes it tough and annoying if they ever want to go back and shore up some code issues.

A lot of other long running games, like WoW, also have engine and code problems so its not just a Lotro issue. It just happens to super old games.

To be honest I do not have and never had major issues with the game. The game runs fine most of the time. I play on very high quality and rarely experience graphic lags: mostly in areas full with a lot of stuff, like Bree or Minas Tirith. Riding a war-horse can cause some trouble, but it does not happen always and I know it's much better on SSD, which I do not have. Other then that, occasional lags can happen during some raid encounters. And that is it. I do not know, may be my quality standarts are lower (I'm a a long time Everquest 1 and 2 player and used to having all sorts of issues), but I believe Lotro is fine.

It's not that they don't want to fix things, it't more that they cannot fix things. You know, they suffered multiple rounds of layoffs, then had to push the store more and more aggressively, which lead to both players and developers leaving. That was a massive bleedout of talent over the years. There are just no resources left. Plus: they have to justify everything they do by increasing future store revenues (obviously that excludes things like fixing performance, fixing stability, fixing classes).

That's a downwards spiral the company is not able to tackle by delivering quality. So there are not too many options left. They can only try to spin the situation PR wise: they need to emphasize the small progress they are making while largely ignoring problems. There is nothing to win for a company when confirming a problem that cannot be fixed, so never acknowledge problems!

If negative feedback gets out of hand, they cannot say "we will fix it". They can only try to relativize it: "we hope to fix it ... partially ... sometimes ... or maybe not ... because we never said so ... and by the way this was intentional straight from the beginning".

That kind of damage control is a downwards spiral too. When negative feedback starts to reach paying store customers and relativization no longer works, they absolutely need to stop the negative feedback, for example by closing threads, banning users or as a last resort: closing the forums. Which is ok, because it's their marketing tool and their product.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf21x View Post
    There is not much they can do. SSG doesn't have the money or the manpower to do full systems updates along side content updates. The best they can do is release a 64 bit client, which will improve performance since Lotro can then access all of the pc's ram instead of just 2GB.

Also, the game is going on 12 years old and the game engine they use, the Turbine mmo engine, is closer to 15 years. The engine is well past its prime and most of the issues are most likely caused by the engine hitting its limits. There is nothing they can do about this, other than stop working on Lotro and start work on a "Lotro 2" on a newer engine. Which again, SSG probably doesn't have the capital to do this either.

Several devs have also said that some of the core code is "Ancient" and difficult to work through. Which makes it tough and annoying if they ever want to go back and shore up some code issues.

A lot of other long running games, like WoW, also have engine and code problems so its not just a Lotro issue. It just happens to super old games.
    But they are constantly nerfing different classes, making players to pay real money more to be competitive in the MiddleEarth; I would understand that if the game itself ran smoothly at least, I don't mind to pay extra money on the game I like. But this situation is really annoying.

They can keep ignoring the issues while enough of us keep playing and put up with it. The 64-bit will either break that hope or plaster over enough to keep going.

We've had too many years of art assets piled up and hacked code with zero overall control.

We are already seeing Cord's live stream crashes and he's years away from War-steeds and MT loading. That's the disadvantage of top notch gear, pride before the fail.

Form "Powered by our Fans" to "Ignorance is Bliss".

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldo View Post
    [..]
    Great reply. It most likely isn't possible to fix the engine performance-wise. At least SSG has learned how to optimise performance since Minas Tirith, it's not as bad in newer regions.

Enough people have no issue.

MAWorking had the highest post count on the pre-beta LOTRO forums. He was truly an icon and clearly, hasn't changed a bit. -Meghan/aka Patience

Quote Originally Posted by Osweld View Post
    There have been tons of threads here about freezing, stuttering and fps drops.

You are playing a broken ### 12 year old game....they can either spend money fixing all of the hundreds of issues that have built up over a decade or they can add content and hope that suckers spend money on "new" content. They can optimize and keep 12 year old graphics or they can upgrade the graphics and have a stuttering glitchy mess...but "new" makes money, optimized and old doesn't. How many people would relog if they just optimized the game? People want content, content, content, content...they eat it up, complain, and move on. It is middle earth...it is still pretty faithful to the lore, and the first 65 levels are still pretty good. So as a paid MMO it is garbage, as a Free game that can give the player a chance to RP in middle earth, it is literally one of kind.