We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Click Play and LOTRO Goes to Desktop

I experienced a hard drive crash. After installing a new hard drive and reinstalling Windows 10 I decided to play LOTRO. The game itself was installed on another drive so I assumed that everything would be OK. I clicked the desktop icon to start the program and everything seemed to work fine. I filled in my username and password and clicked LOGIN. The launcher went to the next screen and I selected my account and clicked next. On the next screen I selected my server and the clicked play. After clicking play the screen goes blank and nothing else happens.

Waited a second and then click the desktop icon to start the game again. Same thing happened. I tried reinstalling the program but got the same results. I renamed the userpreferences file to let it build a new one. The same thing happened. I have installed the C++ files that I could find. I am not sure what ones the game actually needs, but I think I have them all.

Not sure what I am missing or what else to try. Anything that you can share from your experience or knowledge will be greatly appreciated. The same for any suggestions that you might have. I know I am probably missing something easy, but have no idea what it is.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Above all else in LOTRO remember this . . . It is a game . . . HAVE FUN!!!!

You may need the DirectX files mentioned in this guide to installing Lotro - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All

If nothing else reading through the first post should help you check you have all the needed files.

There's also a way to install the DirectX files from the launcher these days. Click the little down arrow at the top of the launcher and select Options. You might also try clicking the Reset Game Display Settings checkbox and then OK. See if that fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    You may need the DirectX files mentioned in this guide to installing Lotro - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All

If nothing else reading through the first post should help you check you have all the needed files.

There's also a way to install the DirectX files from the launcher these days. Click the little down arrow at the top of the launcher and select Options. You might also try clicking the Reset Game Display Settings checkbox and then OK. See if that fixes it.

Thanks a ton!!! Followed the guide and check or did everything in it. When I clicked on the game got to the play button and it worked like a charm. Thanks again. Hope you have a SUPER day!!!
    Above all else in LOTRO remember this . . . It is a game . . . HAVE FUN!!!!

Nice. Glad you got it sorted. Hurin's guide is very useful. Helped me get the game going when I got my new computer last year.