We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Pvp on the Legendary servers?

I guess i'm not the only one who hopes for pvp on legendary servers but there has been no news so far... So @Cordovan Will we get PvP on the legendary servers in the near future? Yes? No? Maybe?

There is definitely some expressed interest in level 50 capped PVP on the legendary servers..... But it's not as straightforward as just "turning it on". The problem lies in the fact that both the regular servers and the legendary server share an identical source code. They would have to, otherwise you would have to install 2 clients just like you would with bullroarer beta clients. So with that said, if they were to just "open up" PVP, you would just get level 120 Ettenmoors with characters that are scaled up to 120 from their current level 50 cap.

That isn't any different than the regular servers. So they will need to come up with a system that allows level scaling from 10 to 50 on the legendary servers, and level scaling from 10 to 120 on the regular servers within the same source code. And although I am not a game coder, I suspect this is where the difficulty lies. The same issue also has to be changed on the creep side, with maximum level 50 creeps on legendary servers and maximum level 120 creeps on regular servers.

The code to properly split out these level difference may not exist yet, and will have to be coded. It's a little different to just capping the level to 50, because there is the scaling mechanism involved, and the auto-capping of creeps on the other side.

In addition to the above, there are some cosmetic changes..... such as tier 12 crafting nodes in the Ettenmoors which need to be tier 5 on Legendary. Now, I have never understood why there are crafting nodes on PvP anyways, so maybe they can just be completely removed altogether..... but if not, you would technically need 2 Ettenmoors zones, one for Legendary, one for Regular.

There are a lot of people who will say: They "just" have to do this, or they "only" have to do that, but I think it is all not as straightforward as people think it is.....
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    There are a lot of people who will say: They "just" have to do this, or they "only" have to do that, but I think it is all not as straightforward as people think it is.....
    Just so. People who think a massive code change would be "simple" generally have done very little coding, or none at all, and are used to the PC or maybe Mac environment. Game servers are a whole different animal.

My husband the Old Used Programmer adds, "What's more, there's a great difference between coding for yourself and coding for other people. In the first place, never trust user input."
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by Sealas View Post
    I guess i'm not the only one who hopes for pvp on legendary servers but there has been no news so far... So @Cordovan Will we get PvP on the legendary servers in the near future? Yes? No? Maybe?
    I was also looking forward to some L50 PvP. My guess is that it's not an issue of coding, it's an issue of imbalance. Too much was changed post-SoA that meant trying to just cap the levels wouldn't give a suitable outcome for balance, between sides and classes. If they could find a workaround, I'd be straight up for getting into the Ettens again, despite the lag.
    Doro from the other-side.

It seems to me that currently they could "just" () go ahead and "turn on" MPvP on the legendary servers and let it be at the regular servers' level cap- freeps, creeps, mobs and all.

But then there's all the quests and loot... I honestly don't know what range of levels all of those things pertain to. However, they have already effectively suppressed >50 barter-able loot in the skirmish camps, so presumably they could do that for the moors?

Wrong-tier resource nodes are suppressible and easily done without.

The one problem I see that can't be solved by the "simple" flipping of on/off switches is the fact that level-cap MPvP is balanced (such as it is) around freeps with access to full itemization options.

I don't know if that is the ultimate obstacle or of there are other things beyond my ken.

Either way, MPvP has nothing to do with me. I'm happy for anyone who enjoys it, and if it's the only reason you're here then I'm glad it brought you, but I don't think it's in any state currently that contributes significantly to the overall game population.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Musings on LOTRO and other games: www.killtenrats.com