We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: UI Improvements

UI Improvements

If you open your personal vault or shared storage panels, you can move them around the screen and or resize them as you feel appropriate and when you log off and (at some time in the future) log on again the system remembers the position and size of the popup window/panel and restores it to you as it was.

This is called UI Persistance. I know this because I have spent 30 years in UI design!

Please can you make ALL popup panels work the same way. It cannot be difficult. All you have to do is copy the same style of code as noted above and apply it to all the other popup panels in the game. I really hate opening the legendary items panel and the first thing I have to do is stretch it down so that I can see all the legacies on my legendary items and reposition it so that it isn't overlapping other panels.

Please please please can you do this.

I notice that you have put a vertical resize handle on the quest panel recently. Excellent! - Please carry on with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digaloo View Post
    If you open your personal vault or shared storage panels, you can move them around the screen and or resize them as you feel appropriate and when you log off and (at some time in the future) log on again the system remembers the position and size of the popup window/panel and restores it to you as it was.

This is called UI Persistance. I know this because I have spent 30 years in UI design!

Please can you make ALL popup panels work the same way.
    I would like that too. I would like to pin the mail window *right next to* my open pack windows, so that I don't drop items when trying to drag them into a mail window.

It cannot be difficult. All you have to do is copy the same style of code as noted above and apply it to all the other popup panels in the game.
    Here, I must caution you: it may be more difficult than you think. Turbine wrote its code in-house, it's been modified and updated in-house ever since, and what has not been difficult for you in the code you've been using for the last 30 years may be severely difficult or downright impossible.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

I wouldn’t mind seeing this too. As DH said though, it might not be as easy as it sounds.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

A lot of the UI is hard coded into the games source code. This means that the applicable code may appear numerous times in numerous places and not necessarily in contiguous blocks of code. If this were the case it would then be a small nightmare to extract the code and not have game breaking errors and crashes crop up months and years afterwards. The best bet to make changes to the UI is with the 64bit client since that is a total line by line re-write of the source code. However, that means SSG will have to completely redesign and recode the UI. Doable, but initially buggy and will take time to cleanup and we may lose some functionality in the UI such as Lua...

I am not advocating to not make changes, just to be fully aware of what can be wrought by doing so.

I do support a fully abstracted, device independent UI.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    A lot of the UI is hard coded into the games source code. This means that the applicable code may appear numerous times in numerous places and not necessarily in contiguous blocks of code. If this were the case it would then be a small nightmare to extract the code and not have game breaking errors and crashes crop up months and years afterwards. The best bet to make changes to the UI is with the 64bit client since that is a total line by line re-write of the source code. However, that means SSG will have to completely redesign and recode the UI. Doable, but initially buggy and will take time to cleanup and we may lose some functionality in the UI such as Lua...
    And will take an Utumno of a lot of programmer-time, which is worth its weight in money.

I will note also that the LotRO code is basically that of Asheron's Call 2, which launched in 2002. Since then it has been updated and changed and re-changed and expanded and improved by successive generations of programmers, most of whom no longer work for SSG, some of whom may have died or moved to Tibet or be otherwise unreachable, and if they can be found, no longer remember just how they wrote that piece of code back in 2009.

OY! Authors!

Now lets see, "Utumno" means ... ... ... ... Udun, corruption of Elves to Orcs first occurred, a whole host of baddies made their home here; kind of like programmers writing code, Valar trashed the place.

Oh my brain hurts...
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    OY! Authors!

Now lets see, "Utumno" means ... ... ... ... Udun, corruption of Elves to Orcs first occurred, a whole host of baddies made their home here; kind of like programmers writing code, Valar trashed the place.

Oh my brain hurts...
    Um ... I don't *think* the location of Udun corresponds to that of Utumno, which Morgoth delved in the far north of Arda, and which the Valar destroyed. It's probably under the northern sea by now, if anything at all is left of it. Morgoth is currently imprisoned in the Void outside Arda, if memory serves.

/searches Silmarillion

Okay, tum, "valley... Cf. Utumno, Sindarin Udun, (Gandalf in Moria named the Balrog 'Flame of Udun'), a name afterwards used of the deep dale in Moria between the Morannon and the Isenmouthe." (Silmarillion, Appendix, "Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names.") And also, apparently, for the little valley just inside the Black Gate in Mordor. Note also ur-, "heat, be hot."